Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shows could and really should have been brilliant but ended up been flops?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Brotherhood. The three season were good and I think it was a victim of the writers strike.

Urgh, "hello sailor", still makes me wince with the uncomfortableness of that scene

*I may be remember the quote incorrectly but I will never watch it again to clarify - 2 old people getting jiggy

Flash Forward.
    It deserved another season

Jericho.
    It deserved another two seasons

Picard.
    Could have been brilliant. Just ended up silly.

How did I forget Picard.

Loved the premise although much of it was quite stupid. The ending could have been epic. I would have loved:
    With a romulan fleet surrounding the planet, Hugh arrives in the Artefact and saves Picard et al, maybe with Riker and the fleet in tow. A Borg cube and the Federation Flagship fighting together? Instead we got a warp-enabled turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Game of thrones the last season. Had been dipping in quality in terms of quality, dialogues etc. all fell off after Charles Dance character (Tywin Lannister) was killed.

Then was just a mish mash of sub plots being hacked away and an overall arching main plot that was dumbed down with a dumb ending. Benioff and Weiss should forever be ashamed of how they wrapped the show up. Their laziness and "couldn't be a***d m8" attitude showed so clearly.

Kinda surprised it took so many posts to appear. It's gradual dip of quality was really rammed home with the last season. That last season was so bad it has tarnished the memory of all the good stuff of the early seasons for me. I see talk of spin offs now and I just have not the slightest want to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

theteal wrote: »
    Kinda surprised it took so many posts to appear. It's gradual dip of quality was really rammed home with the last season. That last season was so bad it has tarnished the memory of all the good stuff of the early seasons for me. I see talk of spin offs now and I just have not the slightest want to see them.

GoT was a huge shame. Admittedly they had no more book material to go on, but I can't see how they couldn't have made a better fist of it had they at least their time instead of ramming through the final two seasons in record time. The pace change from the early seasons was very jarring.

To be fair to them though, the genius of GoT was wrapped up in Martin's dialogue and clever plotting. How could a couple of gobshítes like the show runners hope to replicate what takes a writer years of painstaking work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Ah, no..

Homeland was quality..

Got much better after Brody was finished

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Got much better after Brody was finished

It was less romancey and more spy craft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

Reaper.
    Great demonic comedy with a good story and some excellent characters (a stroke of genius casting Leland Palmer as Satan).
    Alas it was binned after the second series.
    loved it unfortunately it was tucked away on the graveyard shift on c4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Rome. The 2 seasons were up there with The Sopranos as amazing blockbuster TV, and it paved the way for big budget dramas like Game of Thrones. Was gutted that it wasn't renewed.

Fantastic show, I have it buried in a bin full of DVD's in the attic somewhere, must dig it out when I get home. Thats tonight sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Maybe not everyones cup of tea, but I loved Heroes when it originally aired. Years before the glut of superhero stuff after Iron Man came out, first season was pretty slick and had some great parts to it. But then it went all "ohhhh evil corporations and conspiracies" and the wheels fell off (US writers strike didnt help much either).
    I think that was a victim of the writers strike for sure. Season 2 was cut short and then it suffered badly. Would love to see a reboot with a different direction taken and season two extended and filled in.

Hell on Wheels was good for the first couple of seasons but then badly went downhill, lost funding and I think at one stage Anson Mount even helped fund it. But at that stage I think the storyline was getting tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

Revolution

• Advertisement
Advertisement