Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shows could and really should have been brilliant but ended up been flops?

Options
  • 07-10-2020 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I will start with

The First.

It's a fairly recent show and it had the potential to be really good but it wasted far too much time just going on about family stuff. Yes developed the Character's and make them human and not just a cardboard cutout but not for practically for the whole 8 episodes. The sad part is even in the last two episodes there was still time to redeem it to make people want to watch it and see what could happen in season two but no they ballsed that up too.
    They also done an "Enterprise" on the Characters in the last episode in relation to aging but I guess budget was tight to just get it finished.

The next show I will but down which I loved is

Space Above and Beyond.

Yes it's a long time since this show was out but I think its biggest failing was not the show itself but its budget and not finding the funding for a few more seasons. Such a pity as that cliffhanger was up there with BOBWs from Star Trek TNG.

So what shows can you think have that could and should have been brilliant or had more seasons but ended up getting cancelled for some reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The walking dead.

They still haven't realised it's a flop though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Rome. The 2 seasons were up there with The Sopranos as amazing blockbuster TV, and it paved the way for big budget dramas like Game of Thrones. Was gutted that it wasn't renewed.

Westworld.

I know it is not really a flop as plenty of people like it but it is JOYLESS PSEUDO INTELLECTUAL CRAP.

Dexter. The worst ending of a once brilliant show since Lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Brotherhood. The three season were good and I think it was a victim of the writers strike.

• Advertisement

I gave up after a season and a half of Dexter. I found the whole premise of the show to be silly.

Sons of Anarchy also veered off the cliff in latter seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A show called Terra Nova.
    it's on Netflix and stars Stephen Lang (bad guy from Avatar) but only lasted one season.

It's actually pretty good. People from a future where the earth is the sh*ts and dying invent a way to travel back in time millions upon millions of years ago so humanity can have a chance at survival. So you got this weird aspect where the future of humanity will be living in the past.

Very big budgeted show. However it's problem was the budget. Not enough people watching to warrant a season 2 dispite pulling in a few million viewers.

If it sounds good to someone give it a look. A few plot twists and not everything is what it seems ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Deadwood. Was great and just pulled so stopped dead in its tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Agree with Westworld above, a lot of shows start off brilliantly and then just fall apart as they're given the green light on more seasons. Westworld seasons 1 and 2 were excellent but the most recent series was like a completely different show and no fun to watch.

Stranger Things fell off a cliff in the last series, it was insulting rubbish

Dead to me actually infuriated me how stupid the second series was, there's basically about 5 people in this town and they're all just killing each other, incredibly stupid.

• Advertisement

Homeland. Season one was really good. Season two was good too but season three was appalling.

Homeland. Season one was really good. Season two was good too but season three was appalling.

Ah, no..

Homeland was quality..

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Agreed. But I'm glad they eventually finished it with the film. I felt like I got some kind of closure.

Ah, no..

Homeland was quality..

It was good but as I said season three was awful. It did recover.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

While I enjoyed it and will watch the second Season I thought the Witcher could have been better...… Well Cast, acted and special effects but an absolute mile away from Game of Thrones (when it dipped in quality S5-7 as very little came near it at its best).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

Walking Dead. Really looked forward to watching it and then it just fell off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Ray Donovan. First season was excellent, a tough guy doing tough guy stuff for money - who doesn't love that shít.

By the time he was single handedly defeating the russian mafia i was thinking "maybe they've stretched believability just a tad too far":mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ekerot

The Dark Crystal - Age Of Resistance.

Great show, great visuals and great puppetry work. If you can get past the puppet themselves it's actually quite a dark show even if it was targeted at a younger demographic.

Hated it when I heard Netflix cancelled it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Utopia - the British version.

Absolutely mind bending for two seasons and had me completely hooked only for it to be inexplicably pulled. I see an Americanised version was recently released on Prime. It can go suck my left nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Prison Break.

Was kinda silly to begin with but then after the 2nd season it just went full retard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Reaper.
    Great demonic comedy with a good story and some excellent characters (a stroke of genius casting Leland Palmer as Satan).
    Alas it was binned after the second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Game of thrones the last season. Had been dipping in quality in terms of quality, dialogues etc. all fell off after Charles Dance character (Tywin Lannister) was killed.

Then was just a mish mash of sub plots being hacked away and an overall arching main plot that was dumbed down with a dumb ending. Benioff and Weiss should forever be ashamed of how they wrapped the show up. Their laziness and "couldn't be a***d m8" attitude showed so clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭micks_address

Sense 8 on netflix is amazing... made by the Matrix brothers/sisters... amazing budget you could see the money on the screen... didnt get renewed after season 2 but they did manage to fund a concluding movie length episode which was at least something

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If Dexter had ended with season 4, how it's viewed now would be completely different.

Fell off a cliff in season 5 and then gravity multiplied for the rest apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Falling Skies never was I so pissed off with an ending

A show called Terra Nova.
    it's on Netflix and stars Stephen Lang (bad guy from Avatar) but only lasted one season.

It's actually pretty good. People from a future where the earth is the sh*ts and dying invent a way to travel back in time millions upon millions of years ago so humanity can have a chance at survival. So you got this weird aspect where the future of humanity will be living in the past.

Very big budgeted show. However it's problem was the budget. Not enough people watching to warrant a season 2 dispite pulling in a few million viewers.

If it sounds good to someone give it a look. A few plot twists and not everything is what it seems ;)

Good call. Great idea but was made very badly with absolutely ridiculous plot holes.

I'll never get over that one.

Fear the walking dead.

They could have done so much with a fresh look at the walking dead world and not tied to the comics.

First 2 seasons I enjoyed and now it's just a pile of boring, rehashed garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Dickensian - An excellent BBC production which mingles a myriad of different Charles Dickens characters into one setting. A steady drop in ratings combined with the show's large budget ensured that it wasn't renewed for a second season sadly.
    It can be found on Netflix at the moment. Definitely worth checking out if you like Charles Dickens stories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Firefly. I loved it. Thought it was a fantastic idea and Sci fi wouldn't normally be my bag. But it was so witty.

But then again if it hadn't been cancelled would we have had Rick Castle and Jessica Pearson.

Advertisement