Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Life/Country Life - Which do you prefer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Most of the galleries and museums in Dublin are free. Amazing exhibitions and exhibits all year round. Hundreds of cheap & free arts options throughout the city too. It’s a cultural buzzing hive of activity.

Agreed.

I love visiting these myself and and the advantage of living in a small country and the building of the motorway system is I'm hitting the outskirts of Dublin in a little over 2 hours.

A person can be happy living in the countryside and still appreciate what the capital has to offer and vice versa for urban dwellers, in fact a house near me is owned by a couple from Dublin who often come down for a quiet weekend here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I live in the middle of the countryside approx 1km from a very small sleepy little village which had been by-passed by the main road 25 years ago. I love living here, It is so peaceful and quiet and safe for my children. I would hate to move back into a town or worse still, a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I grew up in a small town and lived in cities for over 5 years.
    I now live in a rural part of Galway.

100% Countryside. There is no comparison.

I work in Galway city but the sense of peace when I leave the city limits is immediate. Everything about the countryside is better - community, noise, air, space, colour, scenery, peace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I grew up in a small town and lived in cities for over 5 years.
    I now live in a rural part of Galway.

100% Countryside. There is no comparison.

I work in Galway city but the sense of peace when I leave the city limits is immediate. Everything about the countryside is better - community, noise, air, space, colour, scenery, peace.

I would equate living in Galway (or any bigger city) to the 9th circle of hell.
    Not that it isn't a nice town, but so overrun, parking too expensive or nonexistent, mental traffic (because of the Irish traffic policy of making parking difficult but not providing a public transport alternative), noise, impossible to buy a house unless you earn €200k, rents becoming impossible, no space, it would drive me mental.
    So, city living, it's great if you want to be near the shop, the pub and the chipper.
    I don't buy this "I visit the museum and opera every day" bollocks for one second.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,532 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I would equate living in Galway (or any bigger city) to the 9th circle of hell.
    Not that it isn't a nice town, but so overrun, parking too expensive or nonexistent, mental traffic (because of the Irish traffic policy of making parking difficult but not providing a public transport alternative).

I cycle in Dublin. It's grand. I know Galway traffic is worse in fairness.
    impossible to buy a house unless you earn €200k, rents becoming impossible, no space, it would drive me mental.

Not if you're clever and buy (and sell) at the right time
    So, city living, it's great if you want to be near the shop, the pub and the chipper.

Lol, there's a lot more to cities than shops, pubs and chippers! What's the obsession ruralites have with chippers and pubs? It's no wonder you're all overweight as well as driving everywhere!!
    iI don't buy this "I visit the museum and opera every day" bollocks for one second.

Opera hasn't once been mentioned in this thread and nobody said they visit the museum every day. Looks like you're the one talking bollocks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Born and raised in Dublin, lived there for 37 years. We moved to a rural village an hour away from Dublin 8 months ago & I can't imagine ever going back.
    I have 2 children (3 & 6 ) & I'd be lying if I said I wasn't apprehensive for them, friend wise or in the future for college or employment opportunities as the best of those would be in Dublin but we have almost all our family still in Dublin who would be only too happy to accommodate them in the future should they choose to study in Dublin.
    When I go back to Dublin now I feel very claustrophobic, I feel like people are just on top of you all the time. Shops etc are further away in distance here but as there isn't much traffic it's relatively the same in time. I do alot of shopping online so I don't feel like I've less of a variety in that regard.
    My kids have adjusted very well the rural living. They have their tire swings, slide, see saw, trampoline, strawberry bed etc that we would never had at room for in Dublin. They are outside so much more than in Dublin & I don't have to stand outside with them in case of traffic etc. They walk to & from school everyday, picking flowers, feeding grass to cow's & sheep etc. they love it.
    Moving to the country has also meant we have no mortgage which is a big plus.
    While country living isn't for everyone it is definately for us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Country, every time. Not even a village, middle of the country, away from as many people as possible. I can't stand even going to Dubland for a couple of hours, genuinely hate that city. Other cities are not as bad, but still don't like them. I've lived in cities and rural, and rural wins hands down every time. When I lived in a city I put on 3 1/2 stone because of the convenience. In the country, you better have what you want in the fridge before 10pm or you'll have to drive to the nearest city to get an open shop. It's great!

And only 1 other person touched on this, but those who live in the city are missing the best light show on earth every clear night. I said this in another thread, but I love getting home after work at 11pm, no light pollution, and the sky is just full of stars. Open up Google Sky Maps and you can make out many constellations, and it is just beautiful. I was never big into the stars and space, but the older i'm getting, the more appealing it is to me. If they every colonise another planet, i'll be first on the ship to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

im confused

how are you more likely to get fit driving three miles to the closest store in rural ireland than even walking a hundred metres in dublin ?

Simple enough. You will walk to a convenient shop but you won't drive 6 miles of country roads just because you're peckish or fancy a treat. Hence less weight is put on eating snacks. And it was a reference to weight gain, not getting fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

^^^ That. If a bumper tayto pack is only a couple of minutes walk away, i'd still drive and get it. In the country, aside from the fact that the same product is more expensive, shops are closed when I get the urge to pig out so I can't, thus preventing weight gain. Yes, I know it's all personal responsibility, but some people are not as strong on that front as others, especially when the convenience was never there initially. At the height of my weight, I was getting at least 2 take-aways delivered a day. Can't do that in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Born and raised in the middle of the countryside, about a 10 minute walk to the sea. Lived for a few years in towns while in college but back now in the country. While I enjoyed the town life for a few years in college when being able to walk to the pub is an advantage (!), I will spend the rest of my life (hopefully) in the country. Love the peace, the isolation, the clean air, the fact that I can walk outside and bring the dog straight through the fields for a walk. And sitting outside on a nice evening in total silence. I actually don't mind Dublin but could never imagine living in a city or town again. Each to their own though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

i moved down to the stiks a few years ago, having spent most of my adult life in London & Dublin.
    on the plus side is a more relaxed style of living, lack of traffic, pollution, congestion, and crime.
    on the negative side is the small-mindedness of the people down here. they really are narrow-minded, and meeting an open-minded, tolerant person is quite a challenge.

that said because i have cleared all my mortgages, debts etc. by moving down, i am in the fortunate position of being able to go abroad fairly regularly. if it wasn't for that, i think i might have lost my mind by now.
    I am the opposite to you. I spent all my teenage years in the country and my adult life in Dublin, so much so my accent has changed, as I have spent over half my life in Dublin. However I have the exact same draw back as you. Most of the Dublin people I know are narrow minded, not willing to accept you, because you are from the 'country'.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Country life has a lot of appeal but one off rural housing has generated many costs in terms of a lack of sustainable services. This thread seems to be rather one sided in favour of rural living and there's a distinct whiff of anti-Dublin about it too.

I'd love to have a remote place in Connemara - but the isolation would drive me mad if I lived there all the time. So urban wins out for me.

The fact that Ireland has only been predominantly urban for less than 50 years is reflected in this thread. We don't have as strong an urban culture as most of Europe and piss poor planning and corruption - often by those who had no appreciation of the built environment - has led to big problems in our cities wrt urban sprawl, poor public transport, traffic problems, deprivation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Simple enough. You will walk to a convenient shop but you won't drive 6 miles of country roads just because you're peckish or fancy a treat. Hence less weight is put on eating snacks. And it was a reference to weight gain, not getting fit.

I agree with that. I lived in town and we got a lot more take aways. Now we don't bother, because it's cold before it's delivered or you have to drive into the town. We eat out when we feel like going out but otherwise we eat very little of heavily processed food. I'm a decent cook and we have space for different cooking gadgets. Neither kids or I are overweight, my husband is but he is battling weight issues since childhood. Similarly there are very few overweight kids in local school and very few extremes among the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm from the countryside myself and after living in the city for a while, which was enjoyable enough, I'm very happy being back in the country side in a small community. The village life suits me just nicely, I grew up like that and it's my thing. I probably couldn't live in a remote one-off mansion.
    When I moved to Ireland I lived in Dublin for over a year and while I really appreciate what a city brings, it simply doesn't do it for me in the long run. Now I'm together with a proper city boy and we couldn't afford buying in the city and it was tough for him accepting we wouldn't be buying there but he now loves it. If he would have the choice he probably would want to go back, I wouldn't. But we're happy here, the kids are and for now it is the right thing.

One thing compared to back home is incredibly annoying here though: If you wanna walk somewhere you, especially with kids, you have to drive somewhere. We'd have field paths and woods free to walk into everywhere, farmers are aware of that and it very much shapes the country side there and people hike on all the field and wood paths as they please. Here everything is fenced off and protected. If you wanna walk, use the official walking trails. The roads here are very windy and not really safe to walk on.

I cycle in Dublin. It's grand. I know Galway traffic is worse in fairness.

Not if you're clever and buy (and sell) at the right time..

This two things are such bs. Cycling infrastructure in Dublin and Ireland in general is awful. And wast majority of people who don't feel housing squeeze were not smart, they were lucky. You can be as smart as you want now, if too much of your income is going on rent you will never own a house unless parents can help in some way. It's ridiculous to pretend there is no housing squeeze especially in the cities and that planning isn't complete disaster.

LirW wrote: »
    One thing compared to back home is incredibly annoying here though: If you wanna walk somewhere you, especially with kids, you have to drive somewhere. We'd have field paths and woods free to walk into everywhere, farmers are aware of that and it very much shapes the country side there and people hike on all the field and wood paths as they please. Here everything is fenced off and protected. If you wanna walk, use the official walking trails. The roads here are very windy and not really safe to walk on.
    I have to agree with that. Luckily we live next to the public entrance into the woods but countryside in Ireland is a lot less accessible than where I come from.

Which is a pity because the scenery is stunning and a few of my visitors desperately tried to just walk afield a bit but you simply can't.

LirW wrote: »
    Which is a pity because the scenery is stunning and a few of my visitors desperately tried to just walk afield a bit but you simply can't.

There are two major paradoxes in Ireland.
    The first one, you have some very nice countryside, but 99% of it is not accessible, because it's privately owned and the landowners would prefer people not walking over their land.
    Since there isn't a path or established walking route and the legal system and insurance in Ireland are FUBAR*, I don't blame them.
    I'm back in Germany and I can go hiking or cycling every day and I could be on a different dedicated walking or cycling path.
    Near my house is mountains, rivers, lakes, fields, forest and all of it is accessible through paths that are dedicated and not accessible to cars.
    I did a 30 k cycle today and except the first few hundred meters I did not have to share a single meter of roadspace with a single car.
    I'd say walking and cycle paths were planned in right from the start and always were apart from the regulation road space.
    I don't quite know what went wrong in Ireland, but I always got the feeling that the countryside is something behind a fence, something you look at while you drive to work, the pub or someone else's house, but it's not something you actually go into.
    Still managed it a good bit where I lived, since no one cares about lakes and rivers I managed a good few canoeing and camping trips with a mate.
    Difficult to do that here, lakes and rivers are wildly popular and overrun by people.
    That's the funny thing how crowded the countryside is here and how deserted it is in Ireland.
    I cycled up to Maghera mast a few times. Massive keep out signs. In Germany there would be a car park and a restaurant.

Oh yeah, the other paradox is fish. In a country surrounded by water, people eat 80% chicken. And yes. You do eat an abnormal amount of it. :D

*fecked up beyond recognition

The first one, you have some very nice countryside, but 99% of it is not...

No, completely agree, I originally come from that area too and it's absolutely normal to walk wherever the f pleases you pretty much.
    The roads are not really made for walking along them, you can but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it with children or a dog, especially when people drive to work.

And I agree with the fish statement, there are an awful lot of people though that wouldn't eat fish because they don't like it (I love fish, my partner and child hate it). Then it's also not too easy finding affordable decent fish, if you don't have a fishmonger close you only really have access to farmed fish.
    So annoying too, the quality of beef here is outstanding yet the way steaks are cut in a lot of places is ridiculous and no wonder they're like a piece of leather in a second.

But not to drift off-topic, all in all, the Irish country side is lovely, I like living there. There are improvements to be made but I think nothing is perfect after all. Now if car insurance could be cheaper, that would be amazing because outside of the urban areas you depend on a car unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

The first one, you have some very nice countryside, but 99% of it is not accessible, because it's privately owned and the landowners would prefer people not walking over their land.

That's not true really. I would have no problem walking through fields in my locality. Most of my neighbours would be the same. We often walk across fields to get to fishing spots, collect blackberries/chestnuts, go for picnics or simply just to "go down the fields". The vast majority of farmers would have no problem with that. It's mainly small part-time cattle farmers in my area.

• Advertisement

That's not true really. I would have no problem walking through fields in my locality. Most of my neighbours would be the same. We often walk across fields to get to fishing spots, collect blackberries/chestnuts, go for picnics or simply just to "go down the fields". The vast majority of farmers would have no problem with that. It's mainly small part-time cattle farmers in my area.

The thing is, you have to know where you can walk, the farmer has to know it's you and from a recent thread about hiking I can categorically tell you that a lot of farmers say "absolutely no fcuking way are you walking across my land sunnyboy". And that needs to be respected. It would be naive, bordering on.innocent to suggest farmers have no problem with hordes of people traipsing across their land.
    It only works for your area, you can't do it anywhere else and tourists are left by the side of the road.
    The German in me likes to know where he stands. I know exactly where I can and cannot walk here. I can be in the absolute middle of nowhere (and there is a lot of that in Allgäu surprisingly), but there would be a barely recognisable path and a little sign that tells me I'm on an official walking route.
    These paths are signposted and marked, you can buy maps and they are open to everyone.
    No Irish wink and nod business.
    The way it is handled in Ireland is, as usual, preprogramming uncertainty and arguments, because nobody knows where they fcuking stand. There are some walkways, but it's not enough, disjointed, badly looked after and sometimes railroaded through someone's land who wasn't happy as the ample presence of slurry on a walkway told me one day.
    And I have to come down on the side of the landowners. This attitude of "ah shure I'll just hop the wall and walk through here terfcuk" is disgraceful. You are taking liberties with someone else's property and some of them will be pissed off. Don't be surprised if you get a stream of abuse thrown your way.

I get though that this is a give and take, there's nothing here in Ireland like the "Alpenverein" that keeps trails marked, intact, mapped and clean.
    On the other hand the amount of p1sstakery is unreal, people litter everywhere like the fields are a free for all bin, the simple rules of "Stay to the path" and "Keep your dogs on the lead" are categorically ignored. Throw some ridiculous insurance claims where people want a royal payout for their own inability to walk and it leaves a sour taste to landowners. I absolutely get that there's little interest.
    There is simply more awareness in Germany on how to hike without being a complete d1ck. You would get laughed at in court if you want 50 grand for bumping your knee on some rock and you'd make yourself look like a total tool.
    And last but not least, a lot of mainlanders are used to this walks, they love just wandering afield and you come to Ireland, naturally you don't know any farmers or so and you'll never get to wander off and enjoy the day. This is the real pity, because the potential would be there big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Born and raised in Dublin, lived there for 37 years. We moved to a rural village an hour away from Dublin 8 months ago & I can't imagine ever going back.
    I have 2 children (3 & 6 ) & I'd be lying if I said I wasn't apprehensive for them, friend wise or in the future for college or employment opportunities as the best of those would be in Dublin but we have almost all our family still in Dublin who would be only too happy to accommodate them in the future should they choose to study in Dublin.
    When I go back to Dublin now I feel very claustrophobic, I feel like people are just on top of you all the time. Shops etc are further away in distance here but as there isn't much traffic it's relatively the same in time. I do alot of shopping online so I don't feel like I've less of a variety in that regard.
    My kids have adjusted very well the rural living. They have their tire swings, slide, see saw, trampoline, strawberry bed etc that we would never had at room for in Dublin. They are outside so much more than in Dublin & I don't have to stand outside with them in case of traffic etc. They walk to & from school everyday, picking flowers, feeding grass to cow's & sheep etc. they love it.
    Moving to the country has also meant we have no mortgage which is a big plus.
    While country living isn't for everyone it is definately for us :)
    Navan eh

meeeeh wrote: »
    This two things are such bs. Cycling infrastructure in Dublin and Ireland in general is awful.

My commute is mainly forested park and then coastal cycle path all the way to work! Very pleasant and safe. One of the reasons I chose to live here along with excellent public transport options.
    And wast majority of people who don't feel housing squeeze were not smart, they were lucky. You can be as smart as you want now, if too much of your income is going on rent you will never own a house unless parents can help in some way. It's ridiculous to pretend there is no housing squeeze especially in the cities and that planning isn't complete disaster.

I didn't pretend anything! And, I planned carefully where I bought, when I bought, when I rented my property out and when I sold property so I could live in a good area with a small mortgage.

My commute is mainly forested park and then coastal cycle path all the way to work! Very pleasant and safe. One of the reasons I chose to live here along with excellent public transport options.

I didn't pretend anything! And, I planned carefully where I bought, when I bought, when I rented my property out and when I sold property so I could live in a good area with a small mortgage.

And because you didn't start working somewhere in 2010 you were able to that. Careful planning and thinking is the privilege of those who have enough disposable income they can put into savings or house purchase. I'm not saying that everyone who can't afford house is the victim of circumstances but circumstances determine a lot.

It's nice to have pleasant cycle to work but cycling infrastructure in the country isn't judged just by the roads that affect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I grew up in Dublin but now work in rural Louth. I'd buy a house out it's own in a heartbeat if I could get a mortgage.
    Country living all the way.

And because you didn't start working somewhere in 2010 you were able to that. Careful planning and thinking is the privilege of those who have enough disposable income they can put into savings or house purchase. I'm not saying that everyone who can't afford house is the victim of circumstances but circumstances determine a lot.

There's always opportunities, believe me. There were opportunities in 2011. Some bargains to be had but most people were to afraid to move after the crash. And the thread isn't only for people that started working in 2010.
    It's nice to have pleasant cycle to work but cycling infrastructure in the country isn't judged just by the roads that affect you.

The thread is about rural/urban. I chose to live urban because of the amenities. One of which was the cycle lane. Regarding the infrastructure, it's actually not that bad in Dublin City meeeh. More lanes going over to bus's and bikes instead of cars etc... Rural area's aren't great and the drivers are worse and the death rates higher. Another healthy reason why I chose to live urban instead of rural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I'm a city boy, but I travel constantly, so I get the best out of both. Personally I love the countryside.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The issue of rights of way for ramblers and hikers in the country is an important one and needs to be sorted out. I recall it was a big issue in Britain in the 1990s and there was a bit of a stand off between ramblers and some farmers.

IMO it seems that many people in rural areas dont do much walking or exercise. But the same can be said for many urbanites too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

City, by a country mile.

Advertisement