Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Life/Country Life - Which do you prefer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

AllForIt wrote: »
    If one simply has a home in the country but has a car to travel to a nearby urban area then that's not really county life is it?

County life is what I suffered when I was growing up which meant I was isolated in the country 5 miles from the nearest town - too far away to go for a casual walk. No public transport, no street lighting, no footpaths to light up anyway. Stuck in the house all day. I think that kind of life is really unhealthy and ppl who grow up in urban areas are far far better off for so many reasons.

I've always found it amusing the way ppl think of country life as being healthy because there is this idea that somehow country ppl spend a lot of time outdoors. This is completely untrue - country ppl spend way more time indoors especially in Ireland because they have no reason to go outside, the weather, and the fact that in winter it's pitch black outdoors from 5pm onwards.

City life for me every time. To me, there is no 'life' at all in the country.

Hmmm.. I spend a lot of time outdoors, with the garden and walking the dog etc, picking flowers and fruit, far more outdoors than II ever did in the towns, And we do have torches .. no air pollution and yes, we have a Dark Sky Area here so we can see the stars ...Plenty of life; birds , hares etc..

meeeeh wrote: »
    I live in the country 5 miles out of town, no street lighting and so on. First thing I do in the morning is go for a run and if I am early enough I usually meet some deer and squirrels. Kids can play outside, they have others over and so on. And even that, It's easy to cycle 5 miles.

I think it's perfectly fine to prefer one way of living to the other but there is also how much you make out of situation you are in.

Oh so true! I understand that folk value eg takeaways and pubs but that is just not my scene or life ..

jester77 wrote: »
    I grew up in the country, lonely, depressing and nothing to do as a kid. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Alternatively: I grew up in the country and absolutely loved it, I would hate the thought of growing up in a city and would not want to bring up kids myself anywhere but the country.

There must be big difference in the parts of the country different people grew up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

Oh so true! I understand that folk value eg takeaways and pubs but that is just not my scene or life ..

Cities are the cultural centres of the country. Believe me, there’s a lot more to them than your experience of take-aways and pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

jobless wrote: »
    sounds idyllic.... where is it?... i live in wicklow myself...countryside a few mins away while dublin being commutable too...
    In Wicklow, we lived out near Brittas Bay. Beautiful but a bit too isolated for Mrs Sleepy as she doesn't drive.
    Probably Portrane

Got it in one kennethsmyth... I think it also shows up under my username as my location... ;)

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Cities are the cultural centres of the country. Believe me, there’s a lot more to them than your experience of take-aways and pubs.

NB I have never experienced takeaways or pubs but others mention them often and of missing them.

Nor do I see cities as cultural centres.
    There is far more real culture in the fullest sense out here on the island. And for that matter more online.

But if you like a city that is fine; as others have said, each to their own. You do not have to defend where we live and nor do I . Just find where you are happy and be there as i am here...getting very old and more limited physically so home is heart . And heart is isolation and ocean and all the rest of the beauty and peace.

Alternatively: I grew up in the country and absolutely loved it, I would hate the thought of growing up in a city and would not want to bring up kids myself anywhere but the country.

There must be big difference in the parts of the country different people grew up.

The difference is simply in your heart and will and nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

In the last year I've lived in rural Mayo, on a Carribbean Island and right now in Buenos Aires. All have their benefits.

I liked Mayo, I was within walking distance of Westport which is a great wee town with loads of pubs and always something happening. My house was on a hill, almost under Croagh Patrick but with an amazing view out to Clare Island and Achil. People were lovely.

I liked the Carribbean (Grand Cayman). Weather is amazing, nice beaches and beautiful water. Not keen on the people the island attracts though if I'm honest.

Buenos Aires is something different. It's hard to grasp how big it actually is. The built up Greater City area is around the size of Spain. The smallest of the 'citys within the city' has a population larger than Dublin. As city's go though it's easy to get around, public transport is decent if a little over crowded and it's very cheap. In general the people are lovely. And the women are gorgeous.

What I want really though is to just drag Westport south. If it had better weather I'd probably never have left!!

In the last year I've lived in rural Mayo, on a Carribbean Island and right now in Buenos Aires. All have their benefits.

I liked Mayo, I was within walking distance of Westport which is a great wee town with loads of pubs and always something happening. My house was on a hill, almost under Croagh Patrick but with an amazing view out to Clare Island and Achil. People were lovely.

I liked the Carribbean (Grand Cayman). Weather is amazing, nice beaches and beautiful water. Not keen on the people the island attracts though if I'm honest.

Buenos Aires is something different. It's hard to grasp how big it actually is. The built up Greater City area is around the size of Spain. The smallest of the 'citys within the city' has a population larger than Dublin. As city's go though it's easy to get around, public transport is decent if a little over crowded and it's very cheap. In general the people are lovely. And the women are gorgeous.

What I want really though is to just drag Westport south. If it had better weather I'd probably never have left!!

Jaysus!

NB I have never experienced takeaways or pubs but others mention them often and of missing them.

Nor do I see cities as cultural centres.
    There is far more real culture in the fullest sense out here on the island. And for that matter more online. .

Take-aways and pubs are everywhere, not just cities.

Cities are the cultural centres of all countries. It's where you go to see theatre, museums, galleries, architecture, monuments, concerts, sciences, high end food etc... I'm not saying there isn't culture outside of cities, there is. But cities are culture hubs.

https://www.europeanbestdestinations.com/destinations/best-cultural-destinations-in-europe/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I grew up in a commuter town about 12 miles outside Dublin and I've been living in Dublin for the last 3 years so I appreciate elements of country and city living.

I think the suburbs is the perfect mix for me, I'm a short walk from St Anne's park and Dolymount strand so it's great to be able to walk to the seaside in about 15 minutes but also be able to be in Dublin city centre in 10 minutes and be close to gigs and theatres etc.

It's very easy to trade 1.5 - 2hrs commuting a day for a bit of a noisier environment and being able to cycle in and out of work in 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Work in the city so I have a lovely pied a terre which saves me from commuting with the peasant folk.

I do sometimes hanker after my country roots though so it's nice to also have a McMansion away from the hustle and bustle and with space for a few show horses out front. And why not when it's subsidised by the Dublin jackeens. Really though - I can hardly be expected to pave my own tree lined avenue, right? Props to the county council for the beautiful mature trees they got for me - they were a real hit on Insta.

I'm lucky to have a great gardener to look after the country pile. Very hard working. You'd think on the €200 per month that he'd be eager to make the most of his nights off but he seems mad for work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

cantdecide wrote: »
    I want countryside at my back door, a city at my front door, a shopping centre just up the road and an airport just a little bit further down the road.

Cratloe it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Jaysus!
    It's mad really! Very hard to get any concept of it even when you're here.

The commutes people do for work here are crazy too. My girlfriends mother does three hours each way every day and she lives and works in the same city.

Living in Westport I could work in Dublin and have a shorter commute!

Anyways, we're off to the coast for the weekend. Just six hours each way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Sleepy wrote: »
    In Wicklow, we lived out near Brittas Bay. Beautiful but a bit too isolated for Mrs Sleepy as she doesn't drive.

Got it in one kennethsmyth... I think it also shows up under my username as my location... ;)

Ah portrane, I only know it from room to improve, looks like a lovely little town.... Living by the sea is great

jiltloop wrote: »
    I grew up in a commuter town about 12 miles outside Dublin and I've been living in Dublin for the last 3 years so I appreciate elements of country and city living.

I think the suburbs is the perfect mix for me, I'm a short walk from St Anne's park and Dolymount strand so it's great to be able to walk to the seaside in about 15 minutes but also be able to be in Dublin city centre in 10 minutes and be close to gigs and theatres etc.

It's very easy to trade 1.5 - 2hrs commuting a day for a bit of a noisier environment and being able to cycle in and out of work in 20 minutes.

Yeah, Dublin really has a lot to offer when it comes to outdoor/wildlife, beach, forrest, marsh, parks, rivers... I notice a lot of country folk on this thread seem to think there's only wildlife in the countryside and reckon none of us see dear or wake up to the dawn chorus!

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/mooney/podcasts/ - recorded in Dublin.

I also spend a less time in the car and more time on foot/bike/skate than any of my rural counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

The city. I grew up in the country and Dublin is the only place I'd consider living in Ireland at this point. I like having the anonymity of the city but still being surrounded by things to do/see. A weekend in the country now and then is enough for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

i moved down to the stiks a few years ago, having spent most of my adult life in London & Dublin.
    on the plus side is a more relaxed style of living, lack of traffic, pollution, congestion, and crime.
    on the negative side is the small-mindedness of the people down here. they really are narrow-minded, and meeting an open-minded, tolerant person is quite a challenge.

that said because i have cleared all my mortgages, debts etc. by moving down, i am in the fortunate position of being able to go abroad fairly regularly. if it wasn't for that, i think i might have lost my mind by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

City living for me. People say countryside is better for raising children but I disagree. Perhaps it's better than the city when the children are younger but children aren't children forever. I have always lived in the city and been to walk to school no need to be driven or get a bus it's the best way for kids. I would say being a teenager is hell down the country no shops, no clubs, no cinemas, no public transport or no shops locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

AllForIt wrote: »
    I've always found it amusing the way ppl think of country life as being healthy because there is this idea that somehow country ppl spend a lot of time outdoors. This is completely untrue - country ppl spend way more time indoors especially in Ireland because they have no reason to go outside, the weather, and the fact that in winter it's pitch black outdoors from 5pm onwards.

City life for me every time. To me, there is no 'life' at all in the country.

Not doubting you but that wouldn't be the way here at all, people are always out and about in the evening time and the local kids would always be out playing during the long evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Stephen15 wrote: »
    City living for me. People say countryside is better for raising children but I disagree. Perhaps it's better than the city when the children are younger but children aren't children forever. I have always lived in the city and been to walk to school no need to be driven or get a bus it's the best way for kids. I would say being a teenager is hell down the country no shops, no clubs, no cinemas, no public transport or no shops locally.
    I don't think growing up in the country necessarily better or worse than than growing up in the city. But city is very much a post code lottery. If they are born into certain parts of Dublin (used as example because it's more noticeable in bigger cities) you could just as well reserve them a parking spot in front of the dole office and that is being optimistic. Pockets of deprivation like that are smaller in the country and country schools tend to have less hassle with anti social behaviour. But best schools are in big cities. Cities magnify inequalities, it depends in what part you are born.

Take-aways and pubs are everywhere, not just cities.

Cities are the cultural centres of all countries. It's where you go to see theatre, museums, galleries, architecture, monuments, concerts, sciences, high end food etc... I'm not saying there isn't culture outside of cities, there is. But cities are culture hubs.

https://www.europeanbestdestinations.com/destinations/best-cultural-destinations-in-europe/

Art imitates nature; . your concept of culture is for the rich....we have the pure form.

Art imitates nature; the original please. And your concept of culture is for the rich....

Most of the galleries and museums in Dublin are free. Amazing exhibitions and exhibits all year round. Hundreds of cheap & free arts options throughout the city too. It’s a cultural buzzing hive of activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,205 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm a professional cynic but my heart's not in it
    I'm paying the price of living life at the limit
    Caught up in the century's anxiety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Most of the galleries and museums in Dublin are free. Amazing exhibitions and exhibits all year round. Hundreds of cheap & free arts options throughout the city too. It’s a cultural buzzing hive of activity.

Agreed. Much as I love the country life - a lifetime spent on environmental activities and Nature protection - I find the cultural wealth of the country is in the cities and large towns. Anybody with an interest in any of the arts, history or science has a massive amount of cheap resources available to them in the urban areas. A day spent at the national museum, natural history museum, the national gallery, the botanic gardens etc., costing absolutely nothing, is evidence of this. Therefore it's a 'must do' for us a couple of times a year.
    But, for somewhere to live, the countryside wins out for me every time.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Art imitates nature; . your concept of culture is for the rich....we have the pure form.

Actually art is not just about imitation of nature. Frankly I find this sort of competition who has what a bit tiring. Each have some advantages and disadvantages, it very much depends on individuals and what it suits them.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Actually art is not just about imitation of nature. Frankly I find this sort of competition who has what a bit tiring. Each have some advantages and disadvantages, it very much depends on individuals and what it suits them.

Agreed 100%. But extolling a certain lifestyle with truth, experience and honestly is ok I guess? Without slamming other peoples choices of course. After all this is what this thread is about. City or country and why.
    :rolleyes:

I'm being honest, don't know why your rolling your eyes. You said these gems are the reserve for the rich. You're misinformed or you simply don't know. They're not. Dublin's free museums and galleries are pretty unique for a capital city. You can just walk in to these architectural gems. And they're stunning. The national museum is just fascinating, our history and culture recorded in detail with original artefacts from clothing, weapons, tools to human remains. Our very own ancestors and their practices tastefully displayed with dignity. The galleries are amazing, and like the museums dynamic and changing all the time, something new every time you go.

For the wealthy, the not so wealthy, locals, visitors, the young and old and indeed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It's an ambiguous question, and that's not a dig at the OP.

There's city life - Big cities, small cities, mega cities etc..

There's town life - Small towns, big towns, market towns etc...

There's proper rural life - Agricultural, scientific life with a connection to the land often with a degree of self sustainability.

There's rural life with no connection to the land.

There's fascinating Island life.

There's village life - Coastal villages, crossroad villages, tourist villages etc...

There's suburban life or a typical mix of suburban/one off housing/ribbon housing type of living too. Some of which would be sold as "rural" life.

Yeah given the choice I would prefer a small town. I lived in Maynooth for a while. It's a fairly quite area with nice parks and lots of outdoorsy stuff, but it also has great pubs, restaurants and shops. Best of both worlds.

• Advertisement

Yeah given the choice I would prefer a small town. I lived in Maynooth for a while. It's a fairly quite area with nice parks and lots of outdoorsy stuff, but it also has great pubs, restaurants and shops. Best of both worlds.

Maynooth has always been a vibrant student town that seems to not have the problems some student towns have. I guess it's from the proper town centre population of families. Good restaurants and cultural scene with proper rail link.

Advertisement