Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are dogs being stolen in your area?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I definitely think its being overhyped on social media but I would take first-hand accounts of these situations seriously. Just because it sounds outlandish doesn't mean some scumbag hasn't thought of it. All pet owners should keep open minds and open eyes at the minute. Its probably going to be more prevalent with more folks going back to work.

Unfortunately/fortunately a lot of recently acquired puppies are going back to rescues because those same owners are going back to work but that's another disgusting issue. Dogs aren't just for lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

anewme wrote: »
    It is very strange how you ask and answer your own question as if that closes the argument?

Numerous people here on this post have stated they have seen the cable ties/marks in their area. About five posts up you responded to a poster that the cable ties were a hoax. This poster earlier in the thread had given a personal example of cable ties being seen in their area.

People here have stated they have heard whistling to attract their dogs.

Personally I have seen a drone in my area and I have heard the whistling. At the same time as suspicious characters were spotted.

Gardai/Community Text alert areas across the country have issued warnings about markings.

Here is a Detective advising of Cable Ties being used to mark houses in Kildare and what they are seeing in reality.

Unfortunately, many dogs are being stolen from Kildare. Pippa and Dora are just two high profile ones. This is a warning to people to be proactive with their security. The Gardai here clearly state that have first hand experience of cable ties being used, but some random person on boards knows better than the Gardai and declares peoples concerns as a hoax.

https://kfmradio.com/news/02092020-1138/listen-kildare-gardai-issue-warning-about-cable-ties-marking-out-houses-pets

What you are actually doing is discouraging people from reporting what could be suspicious behaviour. Reporting that behaviour raises awareness and may result in someone's pet being protected, which is more important than a need to feel superior over others.
    sorry but its absolute rubbish. Complete and utter rubbish

Cable ties are 2 a penny. they are everywhere.

Do people see a cable tie on their gate and leave it there?

And how many house actually have gates these days?

And these thefts happen mostly at night - will they see a cable tie (many are black) whilst scouting around.

There's this thing called google maps, there's also eircode and then there's plain old street address. ALL of which are far more easier than leaving a "marking"

Do people really think thieves are going to give advance notice of a theft?

Then you use the "whistling" - that's even funnier. If you exclude apartments, almost 40% of homes have dogs. And dogs respond to their owners whistle and cane very very easily work out if it the right whistle.

People need to use their own brain when thinking of this. Some gardai areas stupid and incompetent as those believing social media (you barely need a pass leaving cert to become a standard garda)

It simply is NOT TRUE. Same rubbish has been going around social media for years all over the world and always debunked.

The same arguments are also used for "the house is worth robbing" or there are "elderly people in the house" or the people in the house are on holidays" - choose your own scaremongering headline and you will find someone will claim a chalk marking (on a wet day :D:D:D ) or a cable tie or a ribbon denotes that scaremongering headline.

All it does is frighten people when there's no need to be frightened

Report suspicious behaviour, but a cable tie or someone whilstling or some kid using a drone.??? Seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭anewme

silver2020 wrote: »
    sorry but its absolute rubbish. Complete and utter rubbish

Cable ties are 2 a penny. they are everywhere.

Do people see a cable tie on their gate and leave it there?

And how many house actually have gates these days?

And these thefts happen mostly at night - will they see a cable tie (many are black) whilst scouting around.

There's this thing called google maps, there's also eircode and then there's plain old street address. ALL of which are far more easier than leaving a "marking"

Do people really think thieves are going to give advance notice of a theft?

Then you use the "whistling" - that's even funnier. If you exclude apartments, almost 40% of homes have dogs. And dogs respond to their owners whistle and cane very very easily work out if it the right whistle.

People need to use their own brain when thinking of this. Some gardai areas stupid and incompetent as those believing social media (you barely need a pass leaving cert to become a standard garda)

It simply is NOT TRUE. Same rubbish has been going around social media for years all over the world and always debunked.

The same arguments are also used for "the house is worth robbing" or there are "elderly people in the house" or the people in the house are on holidays" - choose your own scaremongering headline and you will find someone will claim a chalk marking (on a wet day :D:D:D ) or a cable tie or a ribbon denotes that scaremongering headline.

All it does is frighten people when there's no need to be frightened

Report suspicious behaviour, but a cable tie or someone whilstling or some kid using a drone.??? Seriously

You said above that the Gardai have never mentioned marking of peoples properties and asked for evidence.

There is a Detective on that clip audibly telling people what they (the Gardai) have come across in relation to it.

There are numerous people here giving first hand accounts.

But you still know way better than a qualified Detective.

Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

silver2020 wrote: »
    Christ, Donald Trump has a lot to answer.

Its BULLSH1T. Utter and complete BULLSH1T.

Just thinks laterally for just a minute. over 35% of homes have a dog. You don't need an effin drone to find one. You don't need chalk markings or cable ties or any other of this fake bullsh1t that fools believe.

There is not one verified case of a drone, chalk marking or cable tie or ribbon on the tree (yep that's another one) theft by any law agency in the world.

BTW - if you are in Dublin, drive down Bird Avenue, there are HUNDREDS of cable ties there - marking every lamp post and 2 weeks ago there were chalk marking outside loads of houses.

Then Gas Networks came along, did the work they wanted to do and left. No dogs taken.

FYI gardai and dog warden in Clare have confirmed drones are being used. Warden has done interviews stating as much including an interview with pat Kenny

FYI gardai and dog warden in Clare have confirmed drones are being used. Warden has done interviews stating as much including an interview with pat Kenny

I've the audio above from a Detective in Kildare saying they have evidence of cable ties but this person has no interest in respecting others experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

You said above that the Gardai have never mentioned marking of peoples properties and asked for evidence.

There is a Detective on that clip audibly telling people what they (the Gardai) have come across in relation to it.

There are numerous people here giving first hand accounts.

But you still know way better than a qualified Detective.

Says it all really.
    I've the audio above from a Detective in Kildare saying they have evidence of cable ties but this person has no interest in respecting others experiences.

Just think of it.

A cable tie that currently can be seen on tens of thousands of lamp posts is used as a marker. It's laughable.

And some gardai are as gullible as some members of the public and believe all sorts of rubbish.

When you think laterally it simply makes no sense whatsoever.

Do people not see these cable ties and they are only visible to thieves? And they must be coded somehow to differentiate them from cable ties on all sorts of other things. Maybe they have rfid built in and the thieves come along with a scanner (along with their night vision goggles).

BTW - would it not be easier to click on eircode and send the eircode to your colleague in crime? Or text the house number and road name? Both imminently easier and more accurate.

The cable tie or chalk marking idea is just so stupid - but then some people are dreadfully gullible. You'll find that same people will believe those that say 5g is to blame for coronavirus and that vaccines don't work and the gubberment is out to get you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Facebook is full of conspiracies but if I was a criminal, I wouldn't text anyone information of a location that I wanted robbing because then there's evidence in the phone if they're caught.

Not necessarily dog related but last year a tradesman who happened to be in the area came around to my house while we were out. He called around the back the garden and didn't enter the house, it was on camera. The reason I called the guards was that, while he was in the driveway, he gave a kinda of howya wave to the back of the house, like I was there. Anyway, I recognized the lad because he was staying in the pub, where I was working, he had come over from England. I called the guards, and they said that they would like to speak to him, they actually woke him up at 1am to speak to him. They suspected that he was over scouting houses and that a lorry would come over later to take whatever he had spotted. As it happened he had booked two rooms for his family the following week.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Facebook is full of conspiracies but if I was a criminal, I wouldn't text anyone information of a location that I wanted robbing because then there's evidence in the phone if they're caught.

Burner phones have been around for years.

Cable ties are the new "white van" boogieman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

It is very strange how you ask and answer your own question as if that closes the argument?

Numerous people here on this post have stated they have seen the cable ties/marks in their area. About five posts up you responded to a poster that the cable ties were a hoax. This poster earlier in the thread had given a personal example of cable ties being seen in their area.

People here have stated they have heard whistling to attract their dogs.

Personally I have seen a drone in my area and I have heard the whistling. At the same time as suspicious characters were spotted.

Gardai/Community Text alert areas across the country have issued warnings about markings.

Here is a Detective advising of Cable Ties being used to mark houses in Kildare and what they are seeing in reality.

Unfortunately, many dogs are being stolen from Kildare. Pippa and Dora are just two high profile ones. This is a warning to people to be proactive with their security. The Gardai here clearly state that have first hand experience of cable ties being used, but some random person on boards knows better than the Gardai and declares peoples concerns as a hoax.

https://kfmradio.com/news/02092020-1138/listen-kildare-gardai-issue-warning-about-cable-ties-marking-out-houses-pets

What you are actually doing is discouraging people from reporting what could be suspicious behaviour. Reporting that behaviour raises awareness and may result in someone's pet being protected, which is more important than a need to feel superior over others.

My son reckons the cable ties is to do with geo caching. Texting, fb, Google maps etc all leave an evidencial trace, that even when deleted or cleared off phones can be retrieved. Geo caching does not.

Fwiw my son is 12. He says its become really popular. Anything can be used as a marker for geo caching in a map you can share with your friends or partners in crime.

Would the gardai even look for something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Thankfully not in my area

• Advertisement

Article in the mail (!) seems they have info that drug addicts are being offered money to drive around to scope out high value dogs. Gardai got the info after a man and woman were caught in the act in Ofally and admitted they were working for a criminal involved in drugs trade and they were paid 150 per day to identify dogs. The criminal involved is well known in the Midlands and has numerous convictions including for theft of railings and also fued related offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

...sounds like a dog whistle

Concerns that stolen dogs end up being used for illegal breeding in places like this.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5979838/wheelchair-man-arrested-family-puppy-farm/

Advertisement