Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Charlton has died

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,366 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He really lifted the country, not just in sport, I believe his reign was the inspiration for the country to economically get off its hole and believe we could compete globally.

RIP Jack xxx

World Cup winner and had everyone in Ireland believing they could be World Cup winners too. An absolute legend and in the 90s raised the spirits of every Irish person in the world. Even if you wasn’t Irish, you wanted to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭deandean

R.I.P. Jack.

Olė, Olė Olė olė
    Olė
    Olė

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Having a fag before kick off for Leeds. :D

Ecoc-M8WoAUkpz5?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

RIP Jack :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Did more for this country than any political leader ever has.

R. I. P. Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Great character Jack, did it his own way, shrewd cookie, great man for the fishing, gave this country some unforgettable moments and lifted the spirits of the whole country,another Leeds man passes on, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Italia '90 was the most fantastic event to live through.

30 years on it still lives strong and vivid in my memory.

Thanks Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

We’re all part of jackys army.
    Thanks for the memories and elevating our country and our spirits to huge heights. Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Never cared about football but the atmosphere around Italia 90 was electric. Best days of my youth out and about because of it. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Great long ball manager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Brought hope and dreams to the nation in times when we had nothing else going for us. Will be remembered fondly always. R.I.P Jack.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

RIP Big Jack

Dragged irish International football up an carried us all along on amazing times and memories..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The man deserves a national day of mourning.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 16,516 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I am not able to fully grasp the emotions that this particular piece of news has stoked up in me this morning

Like many here, the turning point of the dark days of the 80s recession coincided with the managership of Jackie, a golden generation of Irish players and the sheer joy that our footballing exploits brought a country.

2020 has officially gone too far!
    July was meant to be Alien invasion! Not a devastating blow to our national psyche :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I’m really upset to hear this news this morning. What a time it was to be alive during the 90 World Cup. I will never forget the penalty shootout, my heart thumping in my chest as George Hamilton said exactly what we were thinking “a nation holds its breath”. When Packie saved that penalty the whole country just erupted. We were out dancing in the street. Everything stopped and for a while we just partied and had fun.

94 was some of the best craic I had watching the games in the pub.

I was always struck by his humility as a person and his sense of humor.

RIP Big Jack and thanks for the good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When he was roaring at the English knacks on the pitch at Landsdowne in 95 he went up even further again in my estimation. Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Ah so sad, I lived through Euro 88, the World Cups in 1990 and 94. He lifted the Irish nation and took us to places we never had seen before. The memories will live on as will the legend of Mr Charlton. RIP Big Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

He made our dreams come true. RIP Legend.

Jack Charlton was one of only two people, to my knowledge, to have been given honourary Irish citizenship.

Pub quiz question - name the other one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

An absolute legend, helped create memories that will never be forgotten. RIP Big Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Privileged to have lived through and experienced all three of his major championship accomplishments with Ireland. A great man and a great character. Thank you, Jack!

R.I.P.

Pity it was not released during euro 88/ Italian 90,,, Rip Big Jack u legend

https://youtu.be/_-ONKtlmizs

Pity it was not released during euro 88/ Italian 90,,, Rip Big Jack u legend

https://youtu.be/_-ONKtlmizs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Many a big night was had because of Big Jack. What he did for Ireland was incredible. Great memories of 88 and 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

RIP Jack.

Thanks for the great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

I remember College Green when him and the team came back, biggest parade ever for a bunch of losers! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

So many memories coming back to me this morning, 1988-9 years old almost breaking my neck trying to replicate Ronnie whelans goal, 1990-11 years old watching our small country getting to the quarter finals of the World Cup. 1994 - the excitement of another World Cup- boy we were getting used to being in the big tournaments!

I think as well as mourning Jack this morning, I’m also mourning those memories he gave me as a boy- the excitement, the expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Words are choking me up.
    A true Irish legend
    May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Jack Charlton was one of only two people, to my knowledge, to have been given honourary Irish citizenship.

Pub quiz question - name the other one?

There have been a few.

Derek Hill
    Mr and Mrs Jack Charlton
    Mr and Mrs "Tip" O'Neill
    Mrs Jean Kennedy Smith
    Dr and Mrs Tiede Herrema

Advertisement