Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20 #Mod Notes First post [Updated 24/07/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,398 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

That would be a good Friday night in pub after work :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great to see that lineup - pity one or two from either Saturday or Sundays weren't on the Thursday, would have been nice.
    Games are going to come thick and fast and it will be interesting to see how they look without the crowds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So Brighton V Arsenal making history as the first Saturday 3pm game live on UK tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That schedule looks great, it’s like a World Cup but with a much higher standard of football. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The fixture list is a thing of beauty. Bring it on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Goal reckon Grealish is on 100k a week.

https://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/jack-grealish-net-worth-contract-salary-sponsorships/8zcbgigd2fsu180fm3qojkmsy#:~:text=The%20midfielder%20had%20previously%20doubled,(%246.5m)%20a%20year.

I think youre underestimating what players at the bottom end of the table are on.

Cant see Troy Deeney being on less than 50k .

deeney is club captain so is probably on a bit more.

im just saying that not all squads are on salarys of over 50 k a week

chelsea have signed Werner, 200k a week 49.4m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Patrick Van Aanholt vs Katie Hopkins on Twitter tonight was a great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Great Big Lockdown Football Survey results.

80% of Manchester City, 60% of Manchester United, and 63% Chelsea supporters felt it the season should not restart.

Strange results with Utd and City still in with great chances to win 2 trophies and Utd cement top 4.

Hatred of Liverpool more powerful than supporting their own team? Fan culture has completely changed over the years. Now it is all about stopping other teams enjoying success even if it adversely affects their club.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/great-big-lockdown-football-survey-22129226

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Love hearing news like that. Explains a few peoples posting habits during the lockdown.

It also will make it all extra sweat in a few weeks time.

• Advertisement

• Some amount of whataboutery, the daily star too :D

Here's the results for further speculation

'Whose fans are most in favour of football returning?
    Liverpool - 90 per cent

Leeds - 76 per cent

Wolves - 72 per cent

Crystal Palace - 69 per cent

West Brom 69 - per cent

Whose fans are most opposed to football returning?
    Manchester City - 80 per cent

Everton - 76 per cent

Hull City - 72 per cent

West Ham - 65 per cent

Chelsea - 63 per cent

What should happen if the season is curtailed?
    Null and void - 38 per cent

Decide final placing on points per game - 36 per cent

Base final positions on standings as they are - 26 per cent'

Is an official fixture list expected any time soon?

• Collie D wrote: »
    Is an official fixture list expected any time soon?

Confirmation is planned for later today I think
    A list was already posted here but not sure if it's confirmed

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-fixture-list-season-dates-kick-off-times-latest-a9546486.html#gsc.tab=0

Confirmation is planned for later today I think
    A list was already posted here but not sure if it's confirmed

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-fixture-list-season-dates-kick-off-times-latest-a9546486.html#gsc.tab=0

Thanks. Yeah, I saw the list and it's probably spot on but just waiting for an official one before I relaunch LMS - much more important than titles and relegation :) I'm sure some bollocks thinks I've done a runner with the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,553 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mod hat on: By all means discuss the results of the survey, but do not use it as a means to have a pop at opposition posters/fans

Hat off: There are plenty of surveys being done by various different media outlets with different results, this one is just The Daily Star readers. 15000 people took part. It doesnt state how many fans off each club took part, which could skew the figures a bit.

It also doesnt say when it was taken, was it at the start? When everything was a clusterfùck and no-one was absolutely certain what was going to happen. It was also always going to be skewed towards the teams that more to gain from returning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Great Big Lockdown Football Survey results.

80% of Manchester City, 60% of Manchester United, and 63% Chelsea supporters felt it the season should not restart.

Strange results with Utd and City still in with great chances to win 2 trophies and Utd cement top 4.

Hatred of Liverpool more powerful than supporting their own team? Fan culture has completely changed over the years. Now it is all about stopping other teams enjoying success even if it adversely affects their club.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/great-big-lockdown-football-survey-22129226

Yep a lot of football fans are quite immature as we all know..

To be fair it has a lot to do with where their team is in the league. I distinctly remember the term ‘ABU‘ that was because Utd were winning the title year after year and people were sick of it.

For a lot of Liverpool supporters it was a great season if they finished 6th but managed to sneak a 1-0 win against Utd.

A good season for Utd now is finishing 4th and beating Liverpool or City

Liverpool have dominated the league completely this year and some fans are just not mature enough to say well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Take the survey now and almost everyone would want it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

6 wrote: »
    Take the survey now and almost everyone would want it back.

The Man City figure is interesting. 80% not wanting a restart. I would have thought the prospect of winning the CL would be so exciting to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Man City figure is interesting. 80% not wanting a restart. I would have thought the prospect of winning the CL would be so exciting to them?

They hate UEFA and for some reason the CL isn't a priority for their fans. It's a weird mindset to have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rock77 wrote: »
    Yep a lot of football fans are quite immature as we all know..

To be fair it has a lot to do with where their team is in the league. I distinctly remember the term ‘ABU‘ that was because Utd were winning the title year after year and people were sick of it.

For a lot of Liverpool supporters it was a great season if they finished 6th but managed to sneak a 1-0 win against Utd.

A good season for Utd now is finishing 4th and beating Liverpool or City

Liverpool have dominated the league completely this year and some fans are just not mature enough to say well done.

I take what you are trying to get to in terms of some fans are naturally only interested in their own club but I am not sure that it relates to maturity, it would be for a range of reasons.

I also think many United fans will disagree with the category of what you say is a great season and that many Liverpool fans will tell you they were never happy to be sixth.

In terms of a survey, they tend to be a 'click here' and require no huge thought or any level of rational to be applied. We have no idea what context any person took the survey, how it was presented, they could have treated it as a serious issue or a bit of a joke. For me I can't see much value in such a survey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Maybe they are not overly excited because they probably couldn’t defend it if they won it!

apart from the club itself and obviously the players, man city fans have no real warmth towards the champions league. i remember Noel Gallagher once saying that some of the fans used to prefer when they played at Maine road and would lose games so they could go to the boozer after just to give out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

DM_7 wrote: »
    I take what you are trying to get to in terms of some fans are naturally only interested in their own club but I am not sure that it relates to maturity, it would be for a range of reasons.

I also think many United fans will disagree with the category of what you say is a great season and that many Liverpool fans will tell you they were never happy to be sixth.

In terms of a survey, they tend to be a 'click here' and require no huge thought or any level of rational to be applied. We have no idea what context any person took the survey, how it was presented, they could have treated it as a serious issue or a bit of a joke. For me I can't see much value in such a survey.

Of course not all fans are immature but there is certainly a large number of fans that are.. just look at boards as an example! What possible reason could a Utd fan want the season to be scrapped?

And I didn’t say 4th would be a great season for Utd.. I said good.. that’s our level at the moment unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

They hate UEFA and for some reason the CL isn't a priority for their fans. It's a weird mindset to have.

I've seen them refer to it as the Glamour Cup a few times - the only fanbase I know of which downplays the CL. That might change if they win it this year though, of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The survey tallies with the feel of the forum in late March / early April to be fair.

Doesn't matter now. With the women's league decided on points per game, Liverpool will be champions no matter what happens from here. Would City fans prefer it coming with an asterix? Probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭doc_17

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The survey tallies with the feel of the forum in late March / early April to be fair.

Doesn't matter now. With the women's league decided on points per game, Liverpool will be champions no matter what happens from here. Would City fans prefer it coming with an asterix? Probably.

It’ll come with a big trophy, which will be just fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Not really sure where to post this but found this insane:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52940661

''Mutual Consent'' I'm sure.

As much as I disagree with her opinion on whatever she posted, I don't think a footballers wifes views should have any impact on his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,535 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

She dropped him in it big time, stupid count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Not really sure where to post this but found this insane:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52940661

''Mutual Consent'' I'm sure.

As much as I disagree with her opinion on whatever she posted, I don't think a footballers wifes views should have any impact on his career.

Divorce incoming! :pac:

It does happen though, I saw a lot of stick online during the week online for Curtis Jones, because of something his sister did in a park. It's nothing got to do with the players, so it's unfair on them to be chastised for something a member of their family did.

As an on topic conversation, how are Everton fairing out on return? Fancy an upset in the Derby in the first game back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

FitzShane wrote: »

As an on topic conversation, how are Everton fairing out on return? Fancy an upset in the Derby in the first game back?

I like to think our consistency of being sh1t will continue. I don't think my brian could process looking forward to an Everton game.

Unless the lads got super powers from Corona Virus I can't see any sort of upset :pac:

Best case scenario I would say 1-1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement