Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aussie dollar falling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

I plan on moving home in the new year so had to bite the bullet with all my savings yesterday at 0.62. Lost sooo much lately and feel so sick because of it. The pressure will be on me from the get-go to get a job. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Jesus wept, I got all my money out of Oz last September when we moved back and felt sore settling for .70 after seeing the dizzying heights of .85 and deciding not to send a lump back at .78. Looks like it returning to the pre-GFC "norm" of .60 ish was the reality that everyone in Oz said couldn't happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Thankfully sent $10k home at .82 back in the hayday.. Missed the shot to send more when it was still in the 70's. Don't plan to return to Ireland for good until 2018 so can sit knowing I've money at home for when I visit and that I don't need to transfer everything until at the minimum early 2018.

Fingers crossed things improve in the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

thinking of moving home in 12 months, whats the consensus on what I should do with my savings, send home now or hold off till next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

lg123 wrote: »
    thinking of moving home in 12 months, whats the consensus on what I should do with my savings, send home now or hold off till next year?

It's very hard to know. If I could predict what way the markets go then there is no way in hell I would be going to work next week because I could make more money on the money markets. You would be losing around 3% in interest rates between a deposit account in Australia and Ireland so you need to take that into consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Also take into account that interest rates will probably drop soon in Oz. It is normally the first thing to happen when an economy starts to creak. So unless you have a long time frame you would want to be cautious about keeping your money there.

taking 3% off today's rate is about 0.615, which is a typical pre-GFC rate.
    considering their has been about a 10% adjustment since early may, the resource demand is over and the Yuan is only going in one direction, and my 3% interest isn't guaranteed to last, I think I should start looking for a term deposit at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Also take into account that interest rates will probably drop soon in Oz. It is normally the first thing to happen when an economy starts to creak. So unless you have a long time frame you would want to be cautious about keeping your money there.

I doubt interest rates will drop, personally. The lowering interest rates to boost business investment idea looks very dubious these days given the complete failure of the principle since 2009. Australia doesn't really need business investment to boost economic activity. The problems are entirely global and external. There might be an argument to lower interest rates to devalue the A$ but that has well and truly been taken care of and the RBA might well be actually hoping it doesn't go any lower at this point.

Then there is Australia's superannuation landscape. Many retirees depend on returns from investments for their income. Lowering interest rates any further would significantly affect this group. Already the stock market has seen a huge influx of capital seeking high dividend return equities. This has inflated the equity market significantly, though thankfully not as much as has happened in the US. If I was on the RBA board, I would not want to be lowering interest rates and inflating equity prices any more than has already happened because it could well be setting up a lot of retirees for financial Armageddon and permanent loss of independent income should there be another 2009 scale stock market crash and they panic.

Australia needs there to be a range of investments yielding returns that make self-funded retirement incomes viable. Forcing an all eggs in one basket situation would be utterly stupid.

There is already a bit of a problem with Australia's housing market being overvalued in global terms, particularly in Sydney where the median house price recently topped an insane $1 Million. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that a lot of the recent heat in the housing market has been due to interest rates being lowered to 2%. Go lower and it will likely exacerbate the problem immensely, just as it looks like it might be stabilising a bit.
    taking 3% off today's rate is about 0.615, which is a typical pre-GFC rate.
    considering their has been about a 10% adjustment since early may, the resource demand is over and the Yuan is only going in one direction, and my 3% interest isn't guaranteed to last, I think I should start looking for a term deposit at home.

It's now back up to 0.64138. Things are way too volatile at the moment to be coming to long term conclusions I think. I have seen predictions the A$ is going to keep on going down till the end of the year but I have also seen predictions Iron Ore would go to $20 a Ton and Gold was headed for $750 or lower. Just after those predictions both turned around and went back up.

Retirees should not be relying on the stock market for their retirement. If that pension gamble fails it is tough luck.
    I remember someone put up a graph on this forum about 6 months back detailing when most of the energy/resource projects would be finishing up and I think the dates were from 2015 - 2017. Once those projects finish unemployment will become much more of an issue. The gov then will have few choices.
    I remember Brian Cowen belating Ireland's bad luck in facing the triple whammy of property crash, Lehmans going bust and the sudden halt to bank liquidity worldwide. Australia is facing similar problems and it is something like the Chinese stock crash that will set it off. The dollar may stabilise and increase a little in the near future but long term it could fall much further. The big problem for Australians is that they will have huge private debt owing to housing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I remember someone put up a graph on this forum about 6 months back detailing when most of the energy/resource projects would be finishing up and I think the dates were from 2015 - 2017.
    There you go.
    Capture8.png

No one invested in mining can't say they didn't see it coming!

Sent every cent of my savings to € when the aus$ was strong, still have to reclaim my super; ah well!
    Great for anyone moving to Australia though!

While the decline in capital expenditure will mean a reduction in construction and commissioning jobs, I don't think one should lose sight of the whole purpose of that expenditure. These projects are now coming to fruition and will be generating significant revenues. You want to look at something really scary, look at Ireland's debt clock.

Ireland's debt is bad no doubt but Australia could follow very quickly if they don't take corrective action.
    As for the dollar's value it probably needs to weaken considerably in order to attract tourists to Oz again, even to keep Aussies holidaying at home. The problem then though is that there would be a flight of money putting the banks under serious pressure. I saw an article the other day that said the big 4 Aussie banks have assets (loans) worth 200% of GDP whereas the big 4 in America before Lehmans bust were only 50% of American GDP. So these banks could fold. Deposits could be snatched as the state may not be able to step in.

Hard commodities have always been a primary revenue stream for Australia, the real question is how would Australia have faired after 08 if China hadn't gone a massive infrastructure spree?

It used to be that when the US sneezed the world caught a cold, now if China sneezes Australia will have a stroke.
    australia4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Ozzie has tipped a critical technical support of 70 against the greenback. Good chance we will see new lows until the Fed raises rates.

Aus$ back around €.64. Might get more upside next week.

catbear wrote: »
    Aus$ back around €.64. Might get more upside next week.

its on quite a push, isn't it. what's driving it?

have some cash sitting idle in CF. thinking of buying some USD and EUR next week but not sure what split. any thoughts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The Fed was expected to raise interest rates but this has been postponed for a number of months at least. Global stocks have also risen on the news of the postponement. Dead cat bounce in the latest rise.

but is there much left in the cat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭gobsh!te

jank wrote: »
    The Fed was expected to raise interest rates but this has been postponed for a number of months at least. Global stocks have also risen on the news of the postponement. Dead cat bounce in the latest rise.

The Fed will not be raising rates again....ever:eek:

gobsh!te wrote: »
    The Fed will not be raising rates again....ever:eek:

Ever? Ever is a long time. Of course they will. The odds are they are still expected to raise rates by the end of the year, if not very early next year, baring some sort of global meltdown.

Ill take a wage with you if you want. Rates will be raised in the next 12 months.

Ever? Ever is a long time. Of course they will. The odds are they are still expected to raise rates by the end of the year, if not very early next year, baring some sort of global meltdown.

Ill take a wage with you if you want. Rates will be raised in the next 12 months.

Happily, the next crisis will be a a US dollar crisis. I mean it is happening already.

I would say that currency will not exist in its current format in the not too distant future.

They are doing a good job on pretending they will raise in the future but in reality its rubbish.

Anyway, interest rates were 20% in 1980. The fact the US can't even take .25% "hike" just shows how messed up it is.

gobsh!te wrote: »
    Happily, the next crisis will be a a US dollar crisis. I mean it is happening already.

I would say that currency will not exist in its current format in the not too distant future.

They are doing a good job on pretending they will raise in the future but in reality its rubbish.

Anyway, interest rates were 20% in 1980. The fact the US can't even take .25% "hike" just shows how messed up it is.

Bookmarked. Say $200 AUD?

Bookmarked. Say $200 AUD?

Mark it down...11/10/16.

I'll forward you my ANZ details next year :D

No prob. To clarify we are talking about the U.S Fed raising their baseline USD rate.
    No going back and saying 'oh, thought you meant the euro or AUD' ;)

• Advertisement

its on quite a push, isn't it. what's driving it?

have some cash sitting idle in CF. thinking of buying some USD and EUR next week but not sure what split. any thoughts?

Rise in commodity prices mostly iron ore.
    Turnbull effect.

res ipsa wrote: »
    Turnbull effect.

Also wouldn't buy euro. More QE to come. GBP, USD & YEN are the safer havens although you cant buy yen on CurrencyFair.

Turnbull effect.
    I doubt Turnbull has anything to do with it, it's all about the commodities which in turn support the entire economy.
    The Aus$ depreciation cushioned the Chinese slowdown to the point where even the smallest increase in Chinese demand will give skippy a good bounce. I can't see the recent Aus$ strengthening being the start of a trend but if it were I'd be happy as I'm still pulling money back from oz.

catbear wrote: »
    I doubt Turnbull has anything to do with it, it's all about the commodities which in turn support the entire economy.
    The Aus$ depreciation cushioned the Chinese slowdown to the point where even the smallest increase in Chinese demand will give skippy a good bounce. I can't see the recent Aus$ strengthening being the start of a trend but if it were I'd be happy as I'm still pulling money back from oz.

Well a lot of markets is emotion because people are markets, & fear and greed drive currency & stock markets. We have a new prime minister who is a self made millionaire, compared to Pommy Tony who knighted Prince Philip & Chuckle brother Joe Hockey who told us poor people didn't drive.
    When a leader is changed there is normally a honeymoon period & this is it so while we are at .73 against the green back when it should be .7 I think there is a Turnbull effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

Aus $ on a bit of a charge the last few day up from .638 to .654 or so today.

Any reason behind this or area they just trying to make my bank holiday weekend a little better?

• Advertisement

More ECB QE on the way. Currency wars are back!

So hang off on transferring some of my dollars back to yo yos?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

One would think so.

I transferred everything I had back to euro when it was 62.5 as the advice I got was that the only way the dollar is going is down! Now its bounced back up! Truth be told no one really has a clue what way its going to go. Its so volatile!

Undertow wrote: »
    One would think so.

I transferred everything I had back to euro when it was 62.5 as the advice I got was that the only way the dollar is going is down! Now its bounced back up! Truth be told no one really has a clue what way its going to go. Its so volatile!

Money exchange on Sky business offers reasonable speculation on what is going to happen. It's on Friday afternoons at 18.30.

Undertow wrote: »
    One would think so.

The trouble is that almost all such public discussions about the AU$ exchange rate are in reference to the US$. What just happened wasn't so much the AU$ bouncing as it was the € sinking on announcement of more quantitative easing.

Unless there is a miracle in China or the EU, I would say a further decrease in the AU$ vs the US$ is a distinct possibility.

Good rate today, might even get up to €.66c after the RBA rate hold.

cnocbui wrote: »
    The trouble is that almost all such public discussions about the AU$ exchange rate are in reference to the US$. What just happened wasn't so much the AU$ bouncing as it was the € sinking on announcement of more quantitative easing.

Unless there is a miracle in China or the EU, I would say a further decrease in the AU$ vs the US$ is a distinct possibility.

I would research more before taking advice from anyone here.

Odds of no rate cut in Oz before year end 1.3 with sportsbet.

There is no meeting in January so this probably wont be revisited to February 2016.

CommBank predicting .65 AUD USD within next 6 months.

Odds of no rate cut in Oz before year end 1.3 with sportsbet.

There is no meeting in January so this probably wont be revisited to February 2016.

CommBank predicting .65 AUD USD within next 6 months.

Anything is possible but the US currency is fcuked in the long run.

I don't see 65 US cents personally. I think the US is in a bad way economically. However in bad times people do flee to the US dollar

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=USD&view=10Y

as in 2008....I think the next crisis will be a dollar crisis.

Why do you care about the USD/AUD?

On the USD/AUD rate......and also regarding my bet with Jank

There is a chance of negative interest rates now in the US if necessary....you will not see another rate rise in the US for a long long long time

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/small-biz/e-learning/business/federal-reserve-would-consider-negative-rates-if-economy-soured-janet-yellen/articleshow/49664565.cms

• Advertisement

On a bit of a charge today and overnight.

Anyone speculate why this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

Jobs rate data came out at 12pm today, unemployment rate dropped to below 6% for the first time in months, participation rate also up.

Chances of rate cut anytime soon diminished.

Need some good financial news I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Timistry

The "experts" / fund managers are hoping for a devaluation of the aus$ in December as they anticipate that the US fed will increase interest rates which will increase the US$ and devalue the Aus$ in comparison. Hope they are wrong!

Its funny how one piece of good news has such a positive effect. Here in WA there were a significant number of jobs lost in the last few months and many more to go soon with Roy Hill, Gorgon, Wheatstone in their final phases. House prices especially the 700K+ ones are in dropping in price rapidly. Always a great economic indicator IMHO. WA kept the country afloat during the GFC and provides huge tax revenues to other states. The mining boom is now over but i hope that the Oil and Gas tax revenues will negate some of these losses in the future and keep the economy relatively stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Timistry wrote: »
    WA kept the country afloat during the GFC and provides huge tax revenues to other states.

Have you got a source on that one?
    I don't believe that is accurate at all.

Have you got a source on that one?
    I don't believe that is accurate at all.

Just look up gst redistribution for an answer to that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Around 25% of taxation take at all levels comes from GST.

I get that WA's distribution has dropped drastically in the last few years, but until 2009 it was in the same ball park as the others.

Turning that into
    WA kept the country afloat during the GFC
    is hyperbole.

Around 25% of taxation take at all levels comes from GST.

I get that WA's distribution has dropped drastically in the last few years, but until 2009 it was in the same ball park as the others.

Turning that into is hyperbole.
    It is a bit but answer me this, what would have happened in Australia hadn't the Chinese gone a capital spending programme in november 2008?

Two decades ago exports to China were a low single percentage, now they're around 40%, the bulk of which are hard commodities like coal and iron ore and a good chunk of them came from WA.

To rob a quote...
    “Australia is a leveraged time bomb waiting to blow. It is not a CDO, but a CDO squared. All we have in Australia is, at its simplest, a credit bubble built upon a commodity boom dependent for its sustenance on an even greater credit bubble in China.”

forgive my ignorance, CDO?

forgive my ignorance, CDO?

Collateralized Debt Obligation. I doubt WA carried OZ through the GFC. There are 9 million ppl between Sydney & Melbourne out of a population of 23million. The resources boom definitely helped but that is not limited to WA.

• Advertisement

It is hyperbole to say WA carried the show on it's own but commodities from most states collectively sold to China certainly reversed the fall after 08.

Advertisement