Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your least favorite word or phrase?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Candie wrote: »
    Moist is just about as ugly a word as a word can be, but it has serious competition in the word gusset.

I, personally, think “context” is important with words like that, C. I mean, gusset isn’t great at the best of times but it’s really more down to how it’s used.

I mean, take the word damp, for example. It’s a, normal enough, word. You could say something like ‘this bench is damp’ or ‘these clothes are still damp’. Ordinary, like.

But, one day, someone puts a use to it that just stops you in your tracks and sends a shiver down your spine. That is happened to me when I was getting, you know, “intimate” with a Wexford lass.

Things were progressing nicely until she whispered in her, throaty, Wexford drawl ‘oh, that has gotten me damp’.

Instant horn killer. But, don’t fret, like Lazarus he rose again and, after a bit of “composure” was regained, the job was done but, still, it really ruined the word for me. Ruined it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't understand what goes through the mind of someone who finds either sexual arousal or delicious cake to be so off-putting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Staycation
    Pottering
    Using 'super' as a verb
    Actually any Americanisms that have crept in
    Awesome
    Online rowing if someone is 'woke' or a 'snowflake' etc

I'll think of more later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Things were progressing nicely until she whispered in her, throaty, Wexford drawl ‘oh, that has gotten me damp’.

She was talking about her clunge, wasn't she? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭thebronze14

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I absolutely hate the phrase “ We are pregnant “ spoken by a man
    No , she is pregnant he is expecting a baby .

I have literally never heard any man say that

Overuse of the word literally is very annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Speaking “to” something. What’s wrong with about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

If someone uses the word "like" in every sentence and the phrase "reaching out"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Speaking “to” something. What’s wrong with about?

They have different meanings?

.anon. wrote: »
    She was talking about her clunge, wasn't she? :(

Yep. Lot of bush too, wasn’t prepared for that but it was very late in the “game” and I’d already weathered one speed bump. Was all good fun.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

New normal

It's not new anymore and it certainly isn't normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

On television no one goes to a restaurant. It has to be that " new Italian place"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Seamai wrote: »
    Award winning.

I've often seen it used about restaurants or one of their dishes with nothing to back it up. I'm often tempted to see this award.
    Usually awarded by the food critic of the local free rag in the Best Boiled Egg category

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Edgware wrote: »
    Usually awarded by the food critic of the local free rag in the Best Boiled Egg category

Multi Award Winning... local rag plus a mention in local free ads paper.

Interior design bullshıttery, no rooms in a house...they're all "spaces".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Interior design bullshıttery, no rooms in a house...they're all "spaces".
    Yes! Oh that one gives me itchy teeth alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Discharge is another beaut of a word

Discharge is another beaut of a word

Yes, I agree.

Especially as we are hear it more and more in relation to America police officers “discharging” their weapons at peaceful demonstrations over there.

It has become such an ugly word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

At this moment in time...you mean Now?

Also as someone else mentioned, Spag Bol awful!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Moist pubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Literally

When most of them time it’s used, particularly on Internet forums, it’s not literal usually the exact opposite of literal.

“You literally said ... and now you’re denying it”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

You got this or I've got this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Use of the word “positive” as a noun, and any phrase derived therefrom, i.e. “we need to take the positives from this”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

C0k Goblin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

‘Passed’ or not quite so bad ‘passed away’ - what’s wrong with ‘died’????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Actually everytime i see a "Mum & Baby doing well" post on social media i get a little bit angry. No idea why

U OK hun? xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

And yes, the above as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

"Thanks for sharing."

...something inherently condescending there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I find “Karen” to be problematic. It’s a word that insinuates all middle aged women who stand up for themselves or demand decent customer service are shrill self-absorbed brats.

I’ve heard people snickering and calling me a “Karen” or mimic me asking to see a supervisor in Penney’s and it’s incredibly insulting! They don’t know what’s going on in my life!

I find g&&bag to be far more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

"Homeless Activist" , normally a clown wandering about wearing a high viz jacket .

And they usually have a house.

"Homeless Activist" , normally a clown wandering about wearing a high viz jacket .

"Activist" in general.
    Once they were notables like Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks etc.
    Now they're a shouty assortment of crusties, third wave feminists with purple hair and the unemployable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

WEBINAR

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

They have different meanings?

Exactly.
    In corporate speak you would often hear something like “First of all Mary is going to summarise the financial performance over the last 12 months, and then Anne will speak to the strategic cost reduction program for the remainder of this year”

I know it may be accepted now as grammatically correct but it just wrecks my head. Just use about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Any sentence that begins with "so".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Exactly.
    In corporate speak you would often hear something like “First of all Mary is going to summarise the financial performance over the last 12 months, and then Anne will speak to the strategic cost reduction program for the remainder of this year”

I know it may be accepted now as grammatically correct but it just wrecks my head. Just use about.

How on earth can it be grammatically correct? It's using the wrong preposition. It makes as much sense as saying 'speak from' or 'speak at'. You speak 'to' someone 'about' something. It isn't interchangeable. When grammar starts getting hazy so does meaning generally. It's a sign of the times, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭sparkledrum

Bye bye bye bye bye

Sentences with a quantity of interstitial "You knows?"

No, I don't know.

This mania started in the sixties, and continued relentlessly.

• Advertisement

Bought some watercolo(u)r paper recently. Good stuff, better than Arches at holding glued pages together, Windsor and Newton. Only prom is, it is sold, by appointment to His Royal pain in the arse: Prince Charlie.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Instead of saying 'we need to do A, B or C, gob****es who say 'we need to do a piece on A B or, Godhelpusall, C. Moronic.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Seamai wrote: »
    White Goods

Which goods exactly? Rice, milk, mozzarella, paper, a Kildare GAA jersey, lilies? All white. What's wrong with using the correct term?
    Yeah that one irks me. It refers to washing machines and fridges. As if every other good is non white. Calling them appliances is like so not now.

And "cancelled" as mentioned - when it's used to refer to someone or something that actually isn't cancelled/banned.

All that DD, DS, LO, SO, DH, DP stuff on mummy websites. Awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

‘I fell pregnant’

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

My sister always says 'it gives good/bad weather' and it annoys me for what reason I don't know.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    How on earth can it be grammatically correct? It's using the wrong preposition. It makes as much sense as saying 'speak from' or 'speak at'. You speak 'to' someone 'about' something. It isn't interchangeable. When grammar starts getting hazy so does meaning generally. It's a sign of the times, I think.

I think the best grammar I have seen in my life was contained in one of my Grammar School rules. It read:

“Other than grey socks may only be worn by the Sixth Form”.

Perfection

Btw, Rule 1 was, “Failure to display common sense is a breach of the School Rules”. And what a great rule that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,337 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

"What's important now" when used by politicians when they are trying to move on from a question they can't answer with any degree of sincerity.

American politicians inserting "divided country" and " the American people..." which is ridiculous as the first is the thing they say needs to change and the second is who they claim to working for and neither are true IMO.

We are guided by the science

Bullsh1t, mostly

‘I fell pregnant’

Good trip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

"The narrative " I'm seeing this literally everywhere these days. Everyone talking about "The narrative "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

"Having a conversation" used in a political sense. This one is an Orwellianism since it denotes being talked at by a cultural dictator.

‘I fell pregnant’

He fell out of love with the girl who fell pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

Tiger20 wrote: »
    Michael Martin always says, "In the context of", and " In relation to" in every statement, drives me nuts. It means absolutely nothing, in the context of and in relation to anything

He's even more addicted to the phrase 'in terms of' although he's not alone
    in this. The overuse of this phrase has spread like a linguistic virus among radio presenters and guests.

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    He fell out of love with the girl who fell pregnant.

Ah , so that's what 'fallen woman' really meant!

I don't mind this one. It's what I use when I refer to people I work with who I couldn't give 2 continental shytes about. I know them because of work, end of. Most other terms which can replace it infer they're a friend, of which the vast majority are not, and I would never speak to them outside of having to for work.

Unless you can give me another word which conveys the same meaning without making it sound like I care about them!

Americans use 'coworker' -with no hyphen.Always visually confuses me when I come across it.'
    Otherwise we need 'workmate' or 'fellow employee'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement