Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Odelay wrote: »
    She knows her stuff too. Well able to work as well.

Course she can work.... She's from the West!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Odelay

I see an old friend from here is active on his youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqzxdz9jeio

MrGreendragon3

• Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I see an old friend from here is active on his youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqzxdz9jeio

MrGreendragon3

Great job. Looks new. I wonder how much it would cost to do that in terms of materials/parts.

He might not get another 20 years out if it though with the oul' splashplate. For slurry anyway. Would you get a retrofit on that?

jd_12345 wrote: »
    Farmer Phil has a serious dedication to the whole thing but it looks like he almost has to. By the sounds of things he's getting very little out of the farm and the contracting is about the only thing bringing in any sort of cash. Calf mortality seems to be a big issue as they're so busy with slurry and mixing so many calves. They look like people that are racing around at 1000mph to get everything done and progress seems slow - i.e. it seems impossible for them to make any investment. I know beef is bad atm but maybe management isn't the greatest. They put up something recently about the bulls being only about (450kg/500kg). He also mentioned that even though they could more than justify having his girlfriend work on the farm they wouldn't be able to eat (i.e. she's the only person bringing in regular cash) From what I can make out Phil's main income is YouTube and that's why it has to work. Anybody looking to come home farming after school should take a good look at Phil's 13/14 hour days and realize that they should try something else fr a couple of years anyway! Last year during the winter himself anf the girlfriend booked their annual holiday in Centre Parks over Xmas and Phil had to go home for 5/6 hours each day to feed cattle etc. That to me sounds like hardship! Fantastic hard workers that maybe didn't think out how to justify having him at home!

The key words I take from your post that I agree with are dedication, poor return on investment and busy.

I’m going to sound harsh here but there is an element of busy fools. One of his videos has him driving 2 hrs to spread slurry for a customer. Their plant is old and worn so inevitably trouble strikes probably ruling out a few weeks profit for them to get back up and running. They need to take a look at their operation and remove the rose tinted Massey glasses and run their farm like a business not a hobby. What are they trying to achieve, contracting is really tough and being the jack of all trades contractor(silage, maize, tillage harvesting, sowing, slurry) who is trying to balance their own farm and at the same time be on call for every and any kind of agri job has long passed. Their geographic area doesn’t look to help either with small fields and not ideal weather. This is in Phils interests to ensure that in turn there is a farm capable of making a living to be passed onto him. Saying that fair play to him and his father for bearing all in these videos, decent honest hard working lads.

Anyways from what I can gather Phils father and uncle are involved together. 3 regular good wages (plus uncles family) from a farm is a big overhead before bringing your casual staff into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

https://www.stewartfamilyfarmlongford.com/calf-to-beef

FarmerPhill setting up a farm shop by the look of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Watching the sheep game lately

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCekKN_0816MX4XIvom9bmEw

Your man doing it comes across well...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

I think he's very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Tileman

I think he's very good too.

Yea he is good presenter .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

CowfarmerDan I find good, do a lot of their own work With the added attraction of vintage Massey gear. Find anything over 8- 10 mins is too long but a lot of them do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJwXrKVfpHk

This guy has a small audience, for now, but interesting videos and a lovely honest way of talking.

• Advertisement

Out of interest, anyone here with their own youtube channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJwXrKVfpHk

This guy has a small audience, for now, but interesting videos and a lovely honest way of talking.

He's growing nicely. I don't know him but I recognize a lot of those roads and fields. Shock to the system watching farmers on youtube that sound like yourself.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Subscribed to Gerry6420 last week and have been enjoying the content. He has a drone up and going filming overhead for some bits which is very cool.

Been watching 10th Generation Dairyman for a good while too. Nice change of perspective for me with him working a very intensive system in comparison to what I'm used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Larsen farms .....quality equipment and care
    Onelonley farmer. Hay maker 3 x Krone balers
    Western truck and tractor..........donkey work on equipment trucks tractors loaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Subscribed to Gerry6420 last week and have been enjoying the content. He has a drone up and going filming overhead for some bits which is very cool.

Been watching 10th Generation Dairyman for a good while too. Nice change of perspective for me with him working a very intensive system in comparison to what I'm used to.

Saskdutch kid is better again them 10th generation dairyman, it's some set-up, its gas how while their intensive systems the labour is their that its alot more relaxed pace and less pressure then 99% of typical one man band irish farms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Saskdutch kid is better again them 10th generation dairyman, it's some set-up, its gas how while their intensive systems the labour is their that its alot more relaxed pace and less pressure then 99% of typical one man band irish farms

Gave him a subscribe there and will check him. Yeah their attitude is we'll give it our best shot if it doesn't work out then so be it or we'll find another solution down the road.

Others saying about Farm Flix, I quite enjoy it but probably wouldn't go buying a subscription, just don't have the justification with so much content for free on YouTube TikTok etc. Have no bother understanding them since went to school with a few of them haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭orm0nd

he done some job on the Case, he posts on another forum as well, seems to be a sound bloke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

Gillespy wrote: »
    He's growing nicely. I don't know him but I recognize a lot of those roads and fields. Shock to the system watching farmers on youtube that sound like yourself.:D

He posts here too and an odd time in the weather forum but it has been a while since I last saw him around this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Others saying about Farm Flix, I quite enjoy it but probably wouldn't go buying a subscription, just don't have the justification with so much content for free on YouTube TikTok etc. Have no bother understanding them since went to school with a few of them haha

Have the subscription. Some of the videos are way better than anything Grassmen has ever produced. You can get a free 24hr trial with them. Hard to really judge them this year because of virus. Any idea why John and Donkey split?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

This came up on my feed.

https://youtu.be/8Tw4-Y6pr3w

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

This came up on my feed.

https://youtu.be/8Tw4-Y6pr3w

It would be handy for publicans too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I dabbled a bit just to see how it works but did not do anything serious yet
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbDnL9cGFSUth0vF-BQXVuQ

• Registered Users Posts: 24,372 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

timple23 wrote: »
    Have the subscription. Some of the videos are way better than anything Grassmen has ever produced. You can get a free 24hr trial with them. Hard to really judge them this year because of virus. Any idea why John and Donkey split?

Supposed to be back in the day john wanted the grassmen to be done like farmflix is with all aspects of farming where donkey wanted to keep it silage only. Grassmen has changed since mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭leoch

Donkey is hard to listen to some times

• Registered Users Posts: 24,372 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

leoch wrote: »
    Donkey is hard to listen to some times

I think he has annoyed few manufacturers also by nearly demanding thier latest machines to showcase on the channel or to get them for a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Reggie. wrote: »
    I think he has annoyed few manufacturers also by nearly demanding thier latest machines to showcase on the channel or to get them for a few months

The video of them wrecking the jf harvester and sniggering away to themselves said it all really, I wouldn't give that lad the lend of a shovel and I'd say alot of machine manufactures are coming around to that thinking too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Very different to the quality of channels nowadays and definitely no talking to the camera but a (very small) claim to fame of mine is that I was the first around to put up silage videos on youtube, in 2006!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Very different to the quality of channels nowadays and definitely no talking to the camera but a (very small) claim to fame of mine is that I was the first around to put up silage videos on youtube, in 2006!

The still picture looks like your about to introduce that mower to an ESB pole!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I haven't read through the whole forum yet but just wondering are these farming youtubers suitable for children??
    We have a tractor/ farming mad 5 year old and he watches farming simulator on YouTube but i know he'd love some real-life videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭roosterman71

heldel00 wrote: »
    I haven't read through the whole forum yet but just wondering are these farming youtubers suitable for children??
    We have a tractor/ farming mad 5 year old and he watches farming simulator on YouTube but i know he'd love some real-life videos.

Most are I'd say alright.

Advertisement