Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Takes all sorts but I don't know how Grassmen made it so big. It's just same sh1te different (very expensive) shovels with them. Always has to be the biggest and fanciest.

To be honest Grassmen nowadays is for kids, they seem only interested in selling clothes. It doesn't appeal to the average farming person who isn't interested in a 200hp tractor.

Farmflix are on to a winner with their onthepull event. They also have a mix of livestock and both new and old machinery.

Really enjoyed farmerphil tidying up the workshop. Idoagri does a bit of small fabrication which is interesting too.

The way ifarm was going on about the case not splitting you'd swear the housing was welded or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

timple23 wrote: »
    To be honest Grassmen nowadays is for kids, they seem only interested in selling clothes. It doesn't appeal to the average farming person who isn't interested in a 200hp tractor.
    Definitely. Kids and dreamers.
    Farmflix are on to a winner with their onthepull event. They also have a mix of livestock and both new and old machinery.
    I think there is a market space for someone going around farms with a more in-depth look at the set-ups in terms of herd/flock management, grassland management, machinery analysis etc from a more technical/in-depth standpoint. Maybe taking some ground from the print sources such as IFJ etc. Whether people would want to have open comments on YT for that type of discussion is another thing.
    Something beyond watching them sailing around the fields in tractors or putting pour-on on bullocks.

I was watching Phil with the Pottingers and I was dying for him to ask the guy about the trailed/mounted debate and where they stand on it. He just kept saying it looked great. FarmFlix done a much better interview with McHale when they got the demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

That’s deadly. He’s making a nice touch to be fair but no doubt he puts in the hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Farmer Phil is probably a easier watch for most of us. A rough oul place your not envious off & is closer comparison to our own.all clean & tidy is grand if it's your own.

Have to say i loved him only pulling out the silage machinery & stuff ready for knocking. Easy going.

I see Ifarm is after putting up a post saying "think in buying a new tractor yip were starting to look around"

Suppose there will be a plethora of videos of new tractors or else he is just fishing for demos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭dmakc

Grassmen to be fair does what it says on the tin. Silage is their memo?

I eventually get bored of one farmer showing his farm 3 times a week a la Pemberton

That's why farmflix is somewhat most appealing to me. I'd also like to see some southern farms in it. For me someone with a license to visit a day in the life of many farms (modern and old) is the most interesting market

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

At least with Farmer Phil I could see myself having a pint and a bit of craic with him..... not so much with many of the others..

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭leoch

Don't think u would get a pint with Phil unless it came out of the north....lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Just sitting down to watch Clarksons Farm on Amazon. Looks like it could be quite humorous in a farm setting, very much in the vein of Top Gear. I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, my wife can’t abide him. Must be great to have a blank cheque to head of to a farm auction. Sounds like his girlfriend is Irish as well as a bit of eye candy. I can see quite a few fcuk ups along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Type in tom Pemberton!

His playing the poor mouth routine is a serious pisstake when you see he has nearly 400k pulled in of youtube, i cant understand how he hasnt been shutdown by the uk department of ag especially since they bottle and sell their own milk, the place was literally falling down around them before they went at the new shed build

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Tileman

jaymla627 wrote: »
    His playing the poor mouth routine is a serious pisstake when you see he has nearly 400k pulled in of youtube, i cant understand how he hasnt been shutdown by the uk department of ag especially since they bottle and sell their own milk, the place was literally falling down around them before they went at the new shed build

Will u stop being a begrudger. Fair play to the man if he is making money out of it. It doesn’t cost u anything to watch it.

Many a farm in Ireland wasn’t and isn’t in great shape either but they still look after this animals very well and the milk is kept clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, but unless their landlord spends the money, the sheds/yards, buildings aren't going to be improved much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Ah Jay, that's a bit unfair
    I don't know they only from watching the videos but I enjoy it because its down to earth and its not all.shiney gates and new gear

We all know it takes time and money to build a yard/business
    They've quite a successful farm shop from what I gather
    You don't know what other commitments they hard that took priority over laying concrete

He deserves it, he's put in the hard work and he came up with another way of pulling an income off the farm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I've seen it said to take those youtube income sites with a big pinch of salt.

Pemberton's yard is a bit dilapidated but his animals are always clean and healthy in good condition. That's what I look for. All seen it the other way around I bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Gillespy wrote: »

Pemberton's yard is a bit dilapidated but his animals are always clean and healthy in good condition. That's what I look for. All seen it the other way around I bet.

As twas I put up that link I should say I don’t know how the income is or net worth is calculated...
    Could be a load of bollox, I dunno Gillespy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Check a few others there. The hoof GP seems to be the one that’s really taking it in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Can't begrudge people who document their lives for our entertainment. If ya don't like it, don't watch. Pempertons, especially the father, seems a very shrewd operator. Tom has lots to learn. Place is a wreck and they seem to doing things the hard way all the time. More power to them with the new sheds and things.

Farmer Phil is top notch. Another place that looks dilapidated but again, all the animals are fit and healthy. They work serious hours there with so many irons in the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Suckler

Farmer Phil is top notch. Another place that looks dilapidated but again, all the animals are fit and healthy. They work serious hours there with so many irons in the fire.

They put in serious hours and are good operators in some ways but other ways leave me bemused - they were pulling out the fusion baler recently, nettles and briars at the front of the shed and they just drage the fusion out through it. And the pick up reel still had clumps of last years grass sitting in it.

I watch his more than most I'd say purely because they have so many irons in the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Can't begrudge people who document their lives for our entertainment. If ya don't like it, don't watch. Pempertons, especially the father, seems a very shrewd operator. Tom has lots to learn. Place is a wreck and they seem to doing things the hard way all the time. More power to them with the new sheds and things.

My opinion only but fit and healthy at all times isn’t100% true. Not being harsh but every corner seems to be cut with calves. It’s a low input system with very little purchased footage but weight gain is poor there. I’d say of 300 calves bought every year they’d be lucky to be selling 250

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

What's the subscribe button about? Do some pay to see more than me or is it a donation for their efforts in producing footage?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

ruwithme wrote: »
    What's the subscribe button about? Do some pay to see more than me or is it a donation for their efforts in producing footage?

No, it means that you get notified when they upload a new video.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Gillespy wrote: »

They also run excellent farm shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Farmer Phil did a video back in the winter where he showed exactly what he was taking in off YT. If I remember right is was around €600 a month on average. It would probably be a bit higher as I'd say he has 10k more subscribers now.

I couldn't imagine any other youtuber being as open as he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

Farmer Phil did a video back in the winter where he showed exactly what he was taking in off YT. If I remember right is was around €600 a month on average. It would probably be a bit higher as I'd say he has 10k more subscribers now.

I couldn't imagine any other youtuber being as open as he was.

I think he's very upfront & I think he's content is interesting, himself & his father are good in front of the camera

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

For all the work required to create x3 videos weekly I'd hope he'd be getting a bit more out of it now.
    All the times he has to do the drone, setup cameras, etc and the edit it all. A lot of work.

For all the work required to create x3 videos weekly I'd hope he'd be getting a bit more out of it now.
    All the times he has to do the drone, setup cameras, etc and the edit it all. A lot of work.

I reckon if you were to count the hours involved, they would probably make more money stacking shelves in the supermarket. But I suppose its only a hobby for them rather than their primary income.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭youllbemine

timple23 wrote: »
    I reckon if you were to count the hours involved, they would probably make more money stacking shelves in the supermarket. But I suppose its only a hobby for them rather than their primary income.

And it can be done alongside their daily job. If you had to head off for a couple of hours to do something else it wouldn't be as achievable.

He clearly enjoys doing the shooting/editing/uploading side of things. Not many hobbies you can earn €600-€1,000 a month from! Would pay for a few nice holidays away or a good deposit on his wedding that is coming down the line.

In an alternative, any interest in the creation of a thread dedicated to land/holdings for sale? Could generate a bit of debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

They get more out of it than money. They are nearly all building a brand with merchandise. Getting a good bit of free stuff for the farms plus the demo equipment too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd say there'd still be a few quid dripping in every week from a video for a few years after it is put up, even after the "followers" watch it

Advertisement