Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinkering; Like Guntering for the Connected Generation.

Options

Comments

Watched a bit on Arduino, interesting stuff, need to learn lots more.

On the gate, initially I was thinking of a remote opening function. I've some awkward spots and often on my own, so it'd be nice to have an open gate at the end of a sheep filled track. It would also be good to have the ability to properly lock the gate, not padlock obvs! I've been looking at linear actuator type open/closers, bit much for me at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭emaherx

Watched a bit on Arduino, interesting stuff, need to learn lots more.
    Really worth looking at if you are going to be doing these sort of DIY projects. You don't need to learn how to program from scratch either, just manipulate the millions of free examples available online. In the long run it will actually make many projects simpler.

On the gate, initially I was thinking of a remote opening function. I've some awkward spots and often on my own, so it'd be nice to have an open gate at the end of a sheep filled track. It would also be good to have the ability to properly lock the gate, not padlock obvs! I've been looking at linear actuator type open/closers, bit much for me at the moment...

There are plenty of strong solenoids available which would be much simpler then the linear actuator. The big question here is how are you going to power these gates?

emaherx wrote: »
    Really worth looking at if you are going to be doing these sort of DIY projects. You don't need to learn how to program from scratch either, just manipulate the millions of free examples available online. In the long run it will actually make many projects simpler.

There are plenty of strong solenoids available which would be much simpler then the linear actuator. The big question here is how are you going to power these gates?

I haven't much free time atm but I'm seeing the value of them for sure, which leads to more tinkering ideas :pac:

On the gate, I've been thinking that a seatbelt fastner might work as a locking mechanism if it were contained in a box. A solenoid could push the button - depending on the amount of force needed - to release it.

Now I just need to figure out how to move the gate. I have to put in new gates, or gate posts in many places so gravity could open them if I hung the gates that way.

Closing it will require more thought but I'm not sure it's 100% necessary for my needs.

- Oh yes, power. I figure battery + solar panel. Two gates are close enough together to be served by one. A third gate is maybe 100 meters away - cable cost vs another set up cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I have a Wifi 4G router for mobile internet. The cable is a short length of CAT 5.e flat ROHS. I want to buy a longer length of this type of cable with connectors both ends. Where can I source one and does it matter whether it is flat or round cable. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

RS in Dubli

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Cat 5 cables with plugs (scroll down page)...
    https://www.freetv.ie/networking/cabling/cat5/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Cat 5 cables with plugs (scroll down page)...
    https://www.freetv.ie/networking/cabling/cat5/

Perfect, thank you.

Not Farming related, but thought I'd share anyway.
    A friend of mine bought a house a few years ago and this poker machine was in the garage.

51211968884_2d4d9dec33_c.jpgIMG_20210529_175849 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

I was going to convert it to an arcade machine for the kids, but they are getting bigger and more independent now and have take on the challenge themselves.

51211207676_1386fa864e_c.jpgIMG_20210529_175929 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

51211207841_7dfe786fc7_c.jpgIMG_20210522_115020 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

51211207596_0c9307d8e5_c.jpgIMG_20210529_192042 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

New components for the conversion, raspberry pi 4 and arcade controller kits.

51210494462_b14d477b6b_c.jpgIMG_20210529_192028 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Not Farming related, but thought I'd share anyway.
    A friend of mine bought a house a few years ago and this poker machine was in the garage.

51211968884_2d4d9dec33_c.jpgIMG_20210529_175849 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

I was going to convert it to an arcade machine for the kids, but they are getting bigger and more independent now and have take on the challenge themselves.

51211207676_1386fa864e_c.jpgIMG_20210529_175929 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

51211207841_7dfe786fc7_c.jpgIMG_20210522_115020 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

51211207596_0c9307d8e5_c.jpgIMG_20210529_192042 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

New components for the conversion, raspberry pi 4 and arcade controller kits.

51210494462_b14d477b6b_c.jpgIMG_20210529_192028 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

Jesus fair play to them. If they need a good man swinging a sledge! Give me shout, that's about all the use id be on a project like that!

I'm expanding my sensor network to include an out farm that is out of range of my LoRa network, as part of the project I'm also updating the Raspberry Pi running Home Assistant from a Pi3 to a Pi4.

51223686699_b949684e4f_c.jpgIMG_20210603_061610 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

I installed Home Assistant and WireGuard VPN on the Pi4 at the house.
    On the out farm I've setup a Raspberry Pi zero running MySensors.org Gateway and WireGuard VPN. The Pi Zero is connected to an old USB huawei e3131 3G Dongle for data connection. Data use will be low so I will use an IOT sim like this https://1nce.com/en/pricing/

51222207287_eca11094a8_c.jpgIMG_20210603_061625 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

For the moment I'm reusing some of my old sensors using NRF24 radios.

51222917321_8567bbb28e_c.jpgIMG_20210603_185811 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

51222917231_e67a81a09e_c.jpgIMG_20210603_191615 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

I have LoRa radios on order to replace the NRF24's and a better enclosure for my Pi Zero, but this should do for testing purposes :D The Pi Zero is getting power from a USB port on charge controller of my solar pump setup.

51223686519_eef5e2b606_c.jpgIMG_20210603_191106 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

The advantage of this setup is I can run as many sensors or actuators as I like from a single IOT sim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

I'm expanding my sensor network to include an out farm that is out of range of my LoRa network, as part of the project I'm also updating the Raspberry Pi running Home Assistant from a Pi3 to a Pi4.

The advantage of this setup is I can run as many sensors or actuators as I like from a single IOT sim.

What are the sensors measuring? Does that sim card support calls? I was looking at a Thingsmobile.com sim during the week for a GSM controller for the electric fence but it doesn't support call for turning On/Off

ICBF
    Also on a unrelated note, ICBF. We just logged in at home for the first time to log calf weights for the Calf to Beef program. It's actually a fantastic system given it's pulled everything together in one place. Calving data, milk supply, milk recording, AI data & genetics. It gives the full data picture of the farm that I always felt the farm was missing.

Father never looked at it before and I'm working in Data Analytics for a multinational so I can see the value in it. Now I just need to convince him of that. Also a heads up, a lot of info is available for free

rounders wrote: »
    What are the sensors measuring? Does that sim card support calls? I was looking at a Thingsmobile.com sim during the week for a GSM controller for the electric fence but it doesn't support call for turning On/Off

ICBF
    Also on a unrelated note, ICBF. We just logged in at home for the first time to log calf weights for the Calf to Beef program. It's actually a fantastic system given it's pulled everything together in one place. Calving data, milk supply, milk recording, AI data & genetics. It gives the full data picture of the farm that I always felt the farm was missing.

Father never looked at it before and I'm working in Data Analytics for a multinational so I can see the value in it. Now I just need to convince him of that. Also a heads up, a lot of info is available for free

I've built an IOT Gateway, so I can connect any sensors or relay/solenoids I like to it, at the moment it only has a water level sensor to monitor the water from my home made solar pump. I will add more sensors and relays, to control and monitor the electric fence including line voltage at the ends of the fence, will probably also monitor the solar battery voltage too.

The sim is 500MB Data + 250 texts only @ €10 over 10 years , so no good for those GSM switches. The advantage of my system is I will only have one sim to manage for as many connected devices as I like.

On the ICBF, I agree its a great centralised source of information, but I have found it can sometimes be hard to navigate and find the reports that I'm looking for. Information is good you can act on information but sometimes it can be counter productive to look at just one source such as the genetics star ratings as we all have had animals that have performed well above or below the ratings. It is hard to argue with the results from weighing animals although I have a few cows that feed half the field of calves along with their own and I wonder how much that effects their scores.

I've built an IOT Gateway, so I can connect any sensors or relay/solenoids I like to it, at the moment it only has a water level sensor to monitor the water from my home made solar pump. I will add more sensors and relays, to control and monitor the electric fence including line voltage at the ends of the fence, will probably also monitor the solar battery voltage too.

The sim is 500MB Data + 250 texts only @ €10 over 10 years , so no good for those GSM switches. The advantage of my system is I will only have one sim to manage for as many connected devices as I like.

On the ICBF, I agree its a great centralised source of information, but I have found it can sometimes be hard to navigate and find the reports that I'm looking for. Information is good you can act on information but sometimes it can be counter productive to look at just one source such as the genetics star ratings as we all have had animals that have performed well above or below the ratings. It is hard to argue with the results from weighing animals although I have a few cows that feed half the field of calves along with their own and I wonder how much that effects their scores.

Oh sounds like something I'd be interested in rolling out. We have mains water in our out-farm but I'd love to have water flow meters in the water pipes to see where the water is flowing to spot leaks, measure how much is being used and flag if a water valve is open or close with the ability to open and close and overlay this on a farm map along with the fence and mark where the fence is live/on.

The next layer then would be location trackers on the animals so put it all together you could build a system with logic to turn on the fence and water in a part of the farm when the animals enter and turn them off when they leave.

Yeah I'm a big supporter of weighing, we never weight animals until the Calf to Beef scheme and it was a big eye opener what weight the calves actually were etc. But anyway that is unrelated to this thread so I'll say no more on that

Oh sounds like something I'd be interested in rolling out. We have mains water in our out-farm but I'd love to have water flow meters in the water pipes to see where the water is flowing to spot leaks, measure how much is being used and flag if a water valve is open or close with the ability to open and close and overlay this on a farm map along with the fence and mark where the fence is live/on.

The next layer then would be location trackers on the animals so put it all together you could build a system with logic to turn on the fence and water in a part of the farm when the animals enter and turn them off when they leave.

Yeah I'm a big supporter of weighing, we never weight animals until the Calf to Beef scheme and it was a big eye opener what weight the calves actually were etc. But anyway that is unrelated to this thread so I'll say no more on that

Yea, there is no end to what can be monitored/measured for automation or analytics. I can now place a sensor anywhere on my farm and connect to one of my IOT gateways using low powered subscription free devices. I now have 3 gateways, one connected to the broadband connection at my house, one on the home farm and the remote one running off 3G.

The weighing is not completely unrelated to this thread, we built this scales last year https://farmer-eds-shed.com/portable-cattle-crush-weighing-scales/, it has a serial port too so next phase would be some automation with this using EID tags.

If it is something you'd really like to roll out I'll be documenting the whole setup on my blog in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Yea, there is no end to what can be monitored/measured for automation or analytics. I can now place a sensor anywhere on my farm and connect to one of my IOT gateways using low powered subscription free devices. I now have 3 gateways, one connected to the broadband connection at my house, one on the home farm and the remote one running off 3G.

The weighing is not completely unrelated to this thread, we built this scales last year https://farmer-eds-shed.com/portable-cattle-crush-weighing-scales/, it has a serial port too so next phase would be some automation with this using EID tags.

If it is something you'd really like to roll out I'll be documenting the whole setup on my blog in time.

Emaherx, you need to create a Youtube channel of your projects. Some brilliant stuff you are doing.

Figerty wrote: »
    Emaherx, you need to create a Youtube channel of your projects. Some brilliant stuff you are doing.

Thanks Figerty, I've considered it but the filming and editing would be nearly as time consuming as doing the projects. I will use YouTube more for hosting short clips to embed in my blog though. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdqobJrJm87Bv3auf6skSRg, maybe further down the line I might invest more time on YouTube.

I've also setup a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FarmerEdsShed, its linked to the Blog if anyone would like to follow or comment etc feel free.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

51223686699_b949684e4f_c.jpgIMG_20210603_061610 by
    Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

I installed Home Assistant and WireGuard VPN on the Pi4 at the house.
    On the out farm I've setup a Raspberry Pi zero running MySensors.org Gateway and WireGuard VPN. The Pi Zero is connected to an old USB huawei e3131 3G Dongle for data connection. Data use will be low so I will use an IOT sim like this https://1nce.com/en/pricing/

51222207287_eca11094a8_c.jpgIMG_20210603_061625 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

For the moment I'm reusing some of my old sensors using NRF24 radios.

51222917321_8567bbb28e_c.jpgIMG_20210603_185811 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

51222917231_e67a81a09e_c.jpgIMG_20210603_191615 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

I have LoRa radios on order to replace the NRF24's and a better enclosure for my Pi Zero, but this should do for testing purposes :D The Pi Zero is getting power from a USB port on charge controller of my solar pump setup.

51223686519_eef5e2b606_c.jpgIMG_20210603_191106 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

Would that sim be suitable for running a wifi router solely for the purpose of turning on and off fence and milktank temp monitoring?
    All devices would be in the sonoff range.

satstheway wrote: »
    Would that sim be suitable for running a wifi router solely for the purpose of turning on and off fence and milktank temp monitoring?
    All devices would be in the sonoff range.

I'd say so as long as its used for nothing else. But to be honest I haven't even tried the sim yet, its just the one I'm considering. Basically my reading of it is its €10 for 500MB (which would be expensive for browsing) but it stays active for 10 years, if you use up the data before the 10 years then its just another €10 to top back up to 500MB again active for 10 years or until it is used.

There is another one from Three (UK) which has 24GB active for 2 years @ £40

At the moment I'm testing with a sim from 48 but I'm considering porting my own phone number onto that when I get the IOT sim.

As well as in the house and around the farm, the garden is getting similar treatment. The polytunnel I built last year has solar powered water pumps lighting and temperature and humidity sensors. I had setup the panel inside as a temporary solution, but in the last few weeks the Arduino connected to the temperature sensors and the charge controller have been becoming unresponsive during the day most likely overheating due to the heat in the tunnel.

New frame to hold the panel with large IP65 Box with plenty of space for all of the electronics.
    51225053651_d482fd8c9c_c.jpgIMG_20210604_142229 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

51224344597_0840987e33_c.jpgIMG_20210604_153409 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

51225820849_9cc2c0af5e_c.jpgIMG_20210604_201938 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

The next job I have is to upgrade the irrigation system.
    51225820839_40257143a9_c.jpgIMG_20210604_202304 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

I'll be replacing this cheap 4 way valve,
    51225264643_44f46628cb_c.jpgIMG_20210604_202357 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

With this one.
    51225053291_08e74d1e4f_c.jpgIMG_20210604_202421 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

and for control an Arduino controlled 4 channel relay.
    49819748608_0d4a167d36_c.jpgIMG_20200426_072014 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

This is the temperature humidity sensor, the battery is not needed as it is powered from the solar battery. A soil moisture sensor will also be added to it.
    50599266528_fd2a679bdd_c.jpgIMG_20201112_213932 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

I've so much to learn!

• Advertisement

I've so much to learn!

Me too :D
    Just start off simple with cut and paste from other peoples projects and work from there.

Me too :D
    Just start off simple with cut and paste from other peoples projects and work from there.

Ah c'mon.
    We all know your really MacGyver's irish son.

For a complete novice would Raspberry stuff be difficult.

For a complete novice would Raspberry stuff be difficult.

There probably isn't a simple answer to this, I know people who can barely manage their smart TV remotes. But for a relatively tech savvy individual then its not too difficult to get started.

The Raspberry Pi was invented as a low cost training tool for schools and clubs to teach children to code and make.

There are plenty of simple project examples and tutorials to follow online. When I started programming I used to get books from the library and magazines from the news agents with code as it was pre-internet times, you would copy the code line by line and then it would never run first time as there would be a missing : or ; thankfully these days its much easier since you can simply copy and paste from a website. When you start off you can just copy and paste, then you learn to modify that code a bit and mix and match code from different projects.

How much of a novice are you? Someone who already knows how to work with files on a computer and basic networking will find following the tutorials much easier than someone who doesn't. If you have some Linux experience then you'll pick it up much quicker. If you don't have experience with any of those things then you might be slower but the Raspberry Pi is an ideal device to use for learning them.

There probably isn't a simple answer to this, I know people who can barely manage their smart TV remotes. But for a relatively tech savvy individual then its not too difficult to get started.

The Raspberry Pi was invented as a low cost training tool for schools and clubs to teach children to code and make.

There are plenty of simple project examples and tutorials to follow online. When I started programming I used to get books from the library and magazines from the news agents with code as it was pre-internet times, you would copy the code line by line and then it would never run first time as there would be a missing : or ; thankfully these days its much easier since you can simply copy and paste from a website. When you start off you can just copy and paste, then you learn to modify that code a bit and mix and match code from different projects.

How much of a novice are you? Someone who already knows how to work with files on a computer and basic networking will find following the tutorials much easier than someone who doesn't. If you have some Linux experience then you'll pick it up much quicker. If you don't have experience with any of those things then you might be slower but the Raspberry Pi is an ideal device to use for learning them.

Yea. Fairly tech savvy here and would love to give it a go. But unfortunately between work and farm it will never happen. Self employed so time is money. But I can still dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

But unfortunately between work and farm it will never happen. Self employed so time is money. But I can still dream.

It's good to dream, but you don't have to in this case and time is only money when you are working, and all work and no play etc etc.
    If as you said you are tech savvy, a couple of quid nowadays, gets you kit, that was the stuff of dreams a few years ago. I know time is hard to find, but if you buy an arduino or a raspberry pi, there are worse things you could spend an hour at.
    There are umpteen forums where you can "find" code, that is either exactly what you need for your project, or almost what you need.
    Even mini plc's are cheap on ebay, and many with cheap/free software.
    Some of these devices can do, what required a full panel of stuff years ago.

All you need is the idea, the tools are there, the help is out there (and even in here :D)

It's good to dream, but you don't have to in this case and time is only money when you are working, and all work and no play etc etc.
    If as you said you are tech savvy, a couple of quid nowadays, gets you kit, that was the stuff of dreams a few years ago. I know time is hard to find, but if you buy an arduino or a raspberry pi, there are worse things you could spend an hour at.
    There are umpteen forums where you can "find" code, that is either exactly what you need for your project, or almost what you need.

All you need is the idea, the tools are there, the help is out there (and even in here :D)

True, there are also plenty of kits that can be bought for certain projects that are complete with pre-programmed SD cards. I bought one of the first Raspberry PI's this way. It was a robot kit for the kids they just built it from the instructions and it was up and running in no time. We later reprogrammed it and improved it by adding a webcam and making a phone app to control it remotely. With very little knowledge most people would get a working toy, but still with plenty of scope to challenge themselves further if they so wish.

My problem is I buy stuff I never get round to using. Remote switches, 12v gsm switchs, (100w led, voltage converters, large heatsink, and lion battery for a torch I never made)

I am going to put a ptz on a outfarm visible from my house yet a few km away and send it home but thinking I could add a system to monitor battery power and fence voltage with a Raspberry pi. But I never done that part before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

My problem is I buy stuff I never get round to using. Remote switches, 12v gsm switchs, (100w led, voltage converters, large heatsink, and lion battery for a torch I never made)

Don't worry, so do we. :D

Purchases compared to output, makes for grim reading. :D:D

51241407974_96e210862b_c.jpgScreenshot_20210608-221711 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

Screenshot from mobile app of the remote Sensor monitoring water level of IBC on outfarm over the past few days. The float switch in the tank turns on the solar pump when water level drops below 50% and knocks it of at about 95% full.

• Advertisement

Just put together the complete setup for Home Assistant Running on a Raspberry Pi 4
    https://farmer-eds-shed.com/home-assistant-for-farming-install-guide-with-remote-mysensor-gateways/

And the Remote Gateway running on the Raspberry Pi Zero
    https://farmer-eds-shed.com/remote-3g-mysensors-gateway-using-raspberry-pi-zero/

It may well be 2 pages of gibberish, but if it helps anyone else here out feel free to give it a go. Its probably not a project for a complete beginner though.
    Anyone considering something similar I'd be happy to help out or explain parts in more detail if required.

Advertisement