Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Soarer wrote: »
    Where did you hear about that offer?

On the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Do some Aldis have bigger off license sections ? Was in 2 and no slabs or anything only bottles ans small packs of cans

Bit the bullet and got 2 packs of Heineken f €24 each from Dunnes. Would of preferred Carlsberg but sure not much difference and it was a great price
    To sell slabs you need to have a wholesale licence I believe so possibly not all supermarkets have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Good offers on various spirits and beers in Tesco.

Small selection:

Coors Light 24 Pack Cans 24X500ml €24
    Jameson Caskmates Stout Irish Whiskey 70Cl €25
    Gordons Gin 1 Litre €20
    Smirnoff Red Label Vodka 1 Litre €20
    Rockshore Irish Lager 20 Pack X 330Ml Bottle €15
    Hop House 13 Lager 20X330ml €15
    Heineken Cans 24X500ml €24

Did anyone get any of these today? wife went into Tesco Wexford and not available all still at full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,446 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

meathman0 wrote: »
    Did anyone get any of these today? wife went into Tesco Wexford and not available all still at full price.

Yes not available near me either, I think the offer only comes in to play tomorrow, it went on the website today.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Unknownability

People better start stocking up, the Independent is leading with a story minimum pricing is "weeks away".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gaw_

4.3% Slabs contain 412.8g grams of alcohol. The act on page 14 calls for an initial price per gram of €0.10 which can be increased in 3 years, and then every 18 months after that.

New minimum slab price: €41.28
    12 Galahad: €8.79 to €19.20
    Tesco Vodka: €12.99 to €21

We already have the 2nd highest alcohol prices in Europe, and this will make us the most expensive by a huge margin.
    This is really really bad. We need to start making a lot of noise about this. €40 slabs is the message we need to get across on social media, radio, friends & family or we're all screwed. Can't let this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The law has already been passed. Some parts have been activated, MUP hasn't yet. Scenes like Salthill yesterday and Stephen's Green are responsible for the new urgency.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gaw_

Caranica wrote: »
    The law has already been passed. Some parts have been activated, MUP hasn't yet. Scenes like Salthill yesterday and Stephen's Green are responsible for the new urgency.

The Water Services Act (Irish Water) had also already passed. There is still time. The many responsible people in this thread should not be punished for the actions of the few. Alcohol withdrawals are similar to heroin and can include seizures, depression, hallucinations, anxiety and indeed death as per the HSE. Bad time to do this when many services are closed due to the pandemic or have simply been critically underfunded for years in comparison to other countries.

Drug use & deaths increased severely in Scotland after introducing MUP and they are the worst in the EU now. What will happen when heavy drinkers can only buy less than half of their typical drinks overnight? Withdrawals, deaths & big switch to other cheaper drugs that will directly fund criminal gangs. Even for light drinkers it's gonna be bad craic at Christmas, over €40 a slab when we can finally relax with family & friends.

I've e-mailed a number of TDs but this needs to be a concerted effort from us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Peter File

Gaw_ wrote: »
    4.3% Slabs contain 412.8g grams of alcohol. The act on page 14 calls for an initial price per gram of €0.10 which can be increased in 3 years, and then every 18 months after that.

We already have the 2nd highest alcohol prices in Europe, and this will make us the most expensive by a huge margin.
    This is really really bad. We need to start making a lot of noise about this. €40 slabs is the message we need to get across on social media, radio, friends & family or we're all screwed. Can't let this happen.

Karl Brophy is one of the few speaking out against this law on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

All this will do, is bring us back to the smuggling days from years ago. Guys will bring in truckloads of booze from NI and sell it down here.
    Originally the gov here was going to wait until NI brought in minimum pricing but looks like that's not to happen for at least 2 years now. Tesco own vodka €12.99 to just over €20, over 50% increase which seems little a little excessive. The government will lose loads of tax with all the smuggling which will happen. As usual they aren't thinking this through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭PreCocious

Peter File wrote: »
    Karl Brophy is one of the few speaking out against this law on twitter.

Well his company lobbies on behalf of the drinks industry so that would be expected.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

How is the minimum pricing working in Scotland?

Has it reduced problem drinking? Has it reduced domestic violence? It was intended to help both of these, as alcohol was considered a major vector in these matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

okidoki987 wrote: »
    All this will do, is bring us back to the smuggling days from years ago. Guys will bring in truckloads of booze from NI and sell it down here.
    Originally the gov here was going to wait until NI brought in minimum pricing but looks like that's not to happen for at least 2 years now. Tesco own vodka €12.99 to just over €20, over 50% increase which seems little a little excessive. The government will lose loads of tax with all the smuggling which will happen. As usual they aren't thinking this through.

Smuggling and home brewing will be the way for a lot of people.

The only one I’ll miss is the cheap Guinness. It’s been great during lockdown to get a slab for €30 or less. Mentally cheap.

Edit and to keep the thread on topic... Guinness is currently €30 for a slab in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Gaw_ wrote: »

Any idea what the minimum price for a bottle of wine will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Can I ask how much are the slabs of beer or Guiness in Aldi at the moment. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Peter File

Any idea what the minimum price for a bottle of wine will be?

Around €7.75.
    Stock up on booze now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Around €7.75.
    Stock up on booze now!!

Surely this MUP shïte in in contravention of some bloody EU law? Hasn’t happened yet. Any legal boardsie whizzes have insight into the legality of the proposed implementation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I don’t think this will happen anytime soon, a perfect storm of inter county travel and less restrictions in NI will seriously undermine it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

dodzy wrote: »
    Surely this MUP shïte in in contravention of some bloody EU law? Hasn’t happened yet. Any legal boardsie whizzes have insight into the legality of the proposed implementation?
    Well they brought in the smoking ban quick enough before other EU countries would this be along the same lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭112143

I already pick up an obscene amount of cigarettes each time I travel within the EU.
    I guess I'll be using the ferry to France or Spain for alcohol when this MUP comes in.
    While I tend to agree we need to do something about our issues around alcohol, I think better education rather than increased pricing would be a better idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭John Horgan

I'd have a few cans myself once a week or a few pints.

It seems wrong that people like myself will be disproportionately affected by this cause other people can't control themselves.

I also don't think it will make a difference.. I still smoke even though the price keeps going up.. if people are addicted they're addicted and that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

As a man who likes to drink the more expensive craft beers the stuff I drink shouldn't be affected but this is Ireland and I can see a euro-changeover style increase hitting us again... If your can of pi$$water is to cost €2 minimum it's only going to push the rest of the prices up

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dodzy wrote: »
    They were trying to fight it in Scotland due to EU law. Apparently the law said you could only have min pricing if there was no other feasible option. Increasing excise is the obvious feasible option, and reintroduce the "below cost selling" laws.

There is absoletely no way the supermarkets can simply continue to absorb all excise. Which is what some pro groups say.

It is crazy to be giving away all this potential tax revenue to the supermarkets, and at time when we need it more than ever. Plenty of people are under the impression it is a tax, and the pro-lobby have certainly kept quiet about it -knowing fine well that many presume it would be a tax and would totally object if they found out it wasn't.

A man drinking the low risk amount of cheaper beer is set to see an increase of over €500 per year. The pro people make out like only "problem drinkers" and alcos will see any difference, and that it is minimal.

Back OT.

tesco
    Heineken Cans 24X500ml
    €24.00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Around €7.75.
    Stock up on booze now!!

That's good, might decrease the amount of 4.99 bottles of pi$$ people are drinking.

Here's a wine bargain.

https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/monte-real-rioja-reserva

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

So 6 cans of bulmers would be €10 minimum. Its €11 in my local shop at the moment.

Won't make much difference to most people except the binge buying at Christmas when its stupidly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Won't make much difference to most people except the binge buying at Christmas when its stupidly cheap.
    It targets the poor, or those buying cheaper drink for whatever reason, they might simply prefer it or not want to pay over the odds for supposed "quality" drinks.

A 2L of aldi cider (which I prefer over bulmers and saw plenty on here recommend too) will go from €3.99 to €8.36. 2 of those per week is under the HSE low risk guidelines, 2 a week sees a €8.74 increase, or €454 per year. That is an ongoing price, not an offer. Actual heavy drinkers will obviously see a much higher hike, but many people on safe amounts certainly will too -though the pro lobby would try and say otherwise. It is quite amusing as some of them inadvertently DO say the increase for typical people will be huge, when they mention how cheap it can be to hit the low risk amount.

The bulk of that €454 could be revenue for the state, rather than Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

rubadub wrote: »
    It targets the poor, or those buying cheaper drink for whatever reason, they might simply prefer it or not want to pay over the odds for supposed "quality" drinks.

A 2L of aldi cider (which I prefer over bulmers and saw plenty on here recommend too) will go from €3.99 to €8.36. 2 of those per week is under the HSE low risk guidelines, 2 a week sees a €8.74 increase, or €454 per year. That is an ongoing price, not an offer. Actual heavy drinkers will obviously see a much higher hike, but many people on safe amounts certainly will too -though the pro lobby would try and say otherwise. It is quite amusing as some of them inadvertently DO say the increase for typical people will be huge, when they mention how cheap it can be to hit the low risk amount.

The bulk of that €454 could be revenue for the state, rather than Aldi.

The VAT and the Duty go to the revenue - that's probably close to 50%?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭SteM

Hoboo wrote: »
    That's good, might decrease the amount of 4.99 bottles of pi$$ people are drinking.

Here's a wine bargain.

https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/monte-real-rioja-reserva

It'll increase the cost of the bottles of pee obviously but I think it'll have a knock-on effect in the industry. The more 'premium brand' drinks makers will see that the cost of own-brand is much closer to theirs and they'll raise the price of theirs slightly to differentiate between own-brand and premium brand.

So if a bottle of Nikita vodka in Tescos goes from €12.99 to €21 what will a 'brand' like Absolut do? Their 70cl bottle is €20, will they let it be sold for €21 too or will the raise it to €24? Common sense says allow it to be sold at €21 but brands are very conscious of their pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

probably a discussion for another thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seve OB wrote: »
    probably a discussion for another thread?

Yep, there's a long running AH thread on Minimum Pricing:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116998901#post116998901

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement