Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Might be a business there for someone buying up north and delivering south nice and quiet... minimum order €50 maybe or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Might be a business there for someone buying up north and delivering south nice and quiet... minimum order €50 maybe or something like that

Smuggling of alcohol is hardly a new idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,497 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    Not related to MUP as such but Tesco are starting a clubcard rewards thing next weekend where you get an item at a certain price if you use a clubcard . Bottle of Bailey's 21euro ,with clubcard it's 9 euro. Carlsberg 12 pack cans 17 euro,with clubcard it's 12 euro . I thought loyalty cards can't be used as a promotion under new legislation. Be interesting to see how it pans out

Obriens and lidl do similar.
    As long as the discount is available to anyone with the card ie not tied to spending it seems to be ok.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Brilliant plan from the government

Introduce MUP when the North is practically fully open

That's bound to make trips over the border even more of a draw

Inter-county travel is illegal so I don't know how you think this is going to happen any time soon.

Most people will not bother their arse driving to the north to pick up a slab of their favourite cheap grog. There will be no substantial difference for anyone who buys a nice premium drink. This will reduce the alcohol intake of the flagon of cider merchants which can't come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,198 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

jester77 wrote: »
    Hard to tell if you are being sarcastic, but as someone who hasn't lived in Ireland for over 20 years, that sounds very expensive for a locally mass produced beer. Here in Germany I can get locally produced beer at a fraction of that, and people are not out of control :eek:
    Yeah because charging 7 euro a pint will stop people from doing the same thing :rolleyes:
    listermint wrote: »
    Oh the naivety is strong in this one.

If only there wasn't so many varied of examples of how prohibition works so well..
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    pricing wont prevent or alter complex social issues

I thnk we should have MUP for trollfood - it appears to be way too cheap.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 withnail_is_i

Inter-county travel is illegal so I don't know how you think this is going to happen any time soon.

Most people will not bother their arse driving to the north to pick up a slab of their favourite cheap grog. There will be no substantial difference for anyone who buys a nice premium drink. This will reduce the alcohol intake of the flagon of cider merchants which can't come soon enough.
    Too many posts to be a fully fledged troll, so somebody would have to assume it's a government lacky account.
    People have been known to venture as far as France via ferry to purchase discount booze, so there is zero data alleging nobody would drive across the border.
    There will be no substantial difference for anyone who buys a nice premium drink. This will reduce the alcohol intake of the flagon of cider merchants which can't come soon enough.
    Again, that is incorrect. You really haven't looked into this at all, have you?
    Bottleneck pricing is created immediately in the lower tier sales, pushing the prices up right across the board. The breweries also get an eyeful of the profits that the retailers are receiving and of course will want their cut.
    There are so many other factors to consider, you might want to read up a little on the subject before your next post. Just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

If a can of beer goes up by, say, €1, who pockets that money. Will the drinks companies take advantage and increase the price to the retailer by €1 or will the retailer pocket all the money?
    Or maybe they will just split the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Roger_007 wrote: »
    If a can of beer goes up by, say, €1, who pockets that money. Will the drinks companies take advantage and increase the price to the retailer by €1 or will the retailer pocket all the money?

Probably split the difference. We live in a very strange economy in this country - very little price competition in anything and lots of cozy arrangements, no matter how many various sector 'regulators' we invent.

Whatever way the new government imposed dividend is carved up the consumer will end up paying for it, as usual..... except in this case it is blatantly planned to be that way.

Anyone who claims to know what is going to happen is misguided.
    It's a very competitive market and it will adapt if mup comes in.
    It won't be as simple as the price of everything going up across the board but what it will look like, no one really knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Thousands cross the border every day

Intercounty might be illegal but it's happening wholesale as it is

Latest plan is for intercounty travel in June anyway which would just be at the point MUP comes in according to the Indo

If you don't think the premium drinks will up their prices by the same amount as the 'cheap grog' you'll be mistaken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 withnail_is_i

Anyone who claims to know what is going to happen is misguided.
    It's a very competitive market and it will adapt if mup comes in.
    It won't be as simple as the price of everything going up across the board but what it will look like, no one really knows.

The data from Scotland begs to differ.
    The price rise across the board refers to the range of products affected, not every single product increasing in price which I suspect you understood it to mean, there are many products already priced higher that may not increase any further, while other products will, to relieve the problems caused by the bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Cork to Belfast is €70 fuel return

The same bottle of whiskey that's €12 .37 in the North will be €22.09 here after MUP

You can get a case of the same whisky for €74 which would be €132.54 here

There little less €50 in savings straight away on the exact same product

People won't believe how much MUP is going to gouge the Irish consumer

You will only have to go a few feet over the border, somewhere like Jonesbourgh will set up for wholesale drink supplies, same way it has done for fireworks

The price rise across the board refers to the range of products affected, not every single product increasing in price which I suspect you understood it to mean.
    There are many products already priced higher that may not increase any further, whole others will to relieve the problems caused by the bottleneck.

But people are claiming that the price of all drinks will increase, across the board.
    I don't have a crystal ball, so I don't know what exactly is going to happen. It's a complex market.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The price rise across the board refers to the range of products affected, not every single product increasing in price which I suspect you understood it to mean, there are many products already priced higher that may not increase any further, while other products will, to relieve the problems caused by the bottleneck.

In other words the price of drink that the affluent in society tend to buy will be unaffected while the ‘peasants’ will have to pay more for their favourite tipple?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

In other words the price of drink that the affluent in society tend to buy will be unaffected while the ‘peasants’ will have to pay more for their favourite tipple?
    Will I still get 8 cans of Heineken for 14 euro

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The large distributors and wholesalers will take as much as they can get away with.

The supermarket own brands won't have to share with anyone.

Excise duty will drop if alcohol consumption drops.

VAT revenue won't increase unless people start buying cheaper food or less clothes which might lead to increased health spending later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

The large distributors and wholesalers will take as much as they can get away with.

The supermarket own brands won't have to share with anyone.

VAT revenue won't increase unless people start buying cheaper food or less clothes which might lead to increased health spending later on.

Don't forget the use of drugs increasing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭elperello

But people are claiming that the price of all drinks will increase, across the board.
    I don't have a crystal ball, so I don't know what exactly is going to happen. It's a complex market.

You are correct that we don't have a crystal ball to foretell the future.

However we can with confidence predict that this will be an intervention in the market to artificially increase prices to the consumer.

That is never good news for your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Who are you kidding they will never lower excise duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,285 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

manufacturers will want to maintain a price differential between their premium products and the lower end of the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,161 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It's about time. The fact that people can stock up on crates of cheap beer needs to stop. Supermarkets selling 24 cans of Guinness for less than a euro a can.

Where is this cheap beer?

Cans of beer (50cl) start at 29 cent in Germany, that is cheap.

A price of 1.00 euro is good for Ireland, yes, but still high compared to macro, mass-produced beer in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,000 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Meh just as well I started home brewing last year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

VinLieger wrote: »
    Who are you kidding they will never lower excise duty.
    Excise duty was cut in 2009 as any publican will tell you.

Excise on beer hasn't gone up since 2014 as any publican will tell you.

Regardless the total amount of excise duty collected will fall if consumption drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Excise duty was cut in 2009 as any publican will tell you.

Excise on beer hasn't gone up since 2014 as any publican will tell you.

Regardless the total amount of excise duty collected will fall if consumption drops.

It was lowered in 2009 due to the economic crisis and as a political motive to gather votes, it hasn't been raised since 2014 as the vintners and nimbys have been lobbying hard for MUP as a replacement since 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

The price of drink in Ireland is already the 2nd highest in Europe.

If anything we should be paying less not more for drink.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/irish-alcohol-prices-are-second-highest-in-the-eu-wmfzhskf7

• Registered Users Posts: 40,285 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Big Gerry wrote: »
    The price of drink in Ireland is already the 2nd highest in Europe.

If anything we should be paying less not more for drink.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/irish-alcohol-prices-are-second-highest-in-the-eu-wmfzhskf7

shush now, you can't use facts to argue against MUP. that's cheating.

The lower classes must be infantilised and protected from themselves at all costs, find what they enjoy and tax the hell out of it under the guise of health or whatever and leave those who appreciate and understand and can afford a good wine or brandy and the finer things in life to enjoy them properly in the manner in which they have become accustomed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

We are a disgraceful nanny state. It's actually embarrassing. I don't know how the people of Ireland aren't calling out for direct democracy.

Vote for the same charlatans every year and expect different results. We get what we deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,497 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The lower classes must be infantilised and protected from themselves at all costs, find what they enjoy and tax the hell out of it under the guise of health or whatever and leave those who appreciate and understand and can afford a good wine or brandy and the finer things in life to enjoy them properly in the manner in which they have become accustomed

Or they must spend their money in an approved gombeen (rent seeker) run establishment.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Or they must spend their money in an approved gombeen (rent seeker) run establishment.

Tis true, twould drive a man or woman to drink if they thought about it too much

Advertisement