Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My God, it's full of stars!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Wednesday 27th January 2021

Lunch "run"
    Time: 31:05
    Dist: 6.11km
    HR: 155bpm
    Cad: 178 spm
    Pace: 5:09 per km

Best of intentions Monday and Tuesday. Anyways back to where is started today. As a teenager I played rugby and hurling. Not great at either and fitness training was not a huge part of it. Stopped both second year in college and got very fat. 15 and a half stone. Decided to do something about it so went back to the hurling. At the time Mick Dowling had just taken over the fitness training of the senior team and all adult members of the club were encouraged to join in. So I found myself doing sprints up and down the bike path beside the Spawell. Breathing out my arse and one of the slowest. From there I got into running and then tri. Went back today and ran up and down it.

Evening row
    Time: 21:42
    Dist: 4.4km
    HR: 156bpm
    Stroke rate: 22
    Average watts: 149

8x500m with 30 seconds very easy. Still getting used to the erg. Very different sort of exercise. Enjoying it.

Friday 29th January 2021

Lunch run
    Time: 30:50
    Dist: 5.62 km
    HR: 153 bpm
    Cad: 177 spm
    Pace: 5:29 per km

Did not want to do this but did none the less. Some strange ankle pain at the end of the run, this happened last year too and I ended up tearing my adductor magnus.

I know that this present lockdown is hard on everyone, and I have to admit to be one of the ones that is really struggling this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I'm struggling also this one seems worse, Lockdown 1 we had lovely weather, lockdown 2 had Christmas to keep us entertained, now its just $h1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

tunney wrote: »
    One thing I've realised recently that the ability (physical, economical, family) to exercise is not to be taken for granted and everyone has an obligation to to stay as fit and healthy as possible

Hope all is good Tunney, I'm quoting your own words back at you as they were the most insightful thoughts on the forum from last year, and helped get me out and about during this crap Covid year. Glad to see on strava that you're fulfilling that obligation and getting the training work done, the harder work will follow.

Hope all is good Tunney, I'm quoting your own words back at you as they were the most insightful thoughts on the forum from last year, and helped get me out and about during this crap Covid year. Glad to see on strava that you're fulfilling that obligation and getting the training work done, the harder work will follow.

Cheers Kurt, failed for a good bit of last year on that obligation but really trying now. Glad to hear that you are on the mend too.

• Advertisement

Monday 1st February 2021

Lunch "run"
    Time: 31:28
    Dist: 6.0km
    Cad: 178 spm
    Pace: 5:15 per km

Did not want to so this but my sanity necessitated it.

Evening row
    Time: 21:54
    Dist: 4.4km
    Stroke rate: 22
    Average watts: 147

I continue to be surprised at how hard rowing is, even a short easy row uses muscles I've probably never used before.

Mood not good, diet a little better.

Wednesday 3rd February

Lunch run
    Time: 32:01
    Dist: 5.62 km
    HR: 157 bpm
    Cad: 176 spm
    Pace: 5:20 per km

A few sleepless nights has not helped recently at all. Quads tight and head not in it, but it got done. Roads, parks, and footpaths are all very busy. Slightly hillier route.

Saturday 6th February

Lunch run
    Time: 20:04
    Dist: 3.9 km
    HR: 149 bpm
    Cad: 179 spm

A weekend of training had been planned. When the weekend came it was the last thing that I wanted to do. Forced myself to do something. This was the pathetic something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Saturday 6th February

Lunch run
    Time: 20:04
    Dist: 3.9 km

A weekend of training had been planned. When the weekend came it was the last thing that I wanted to do. Forced myself to do something. This was the pathetic something.

Something- always infinitely better than nothing.

Monday 7th February

Evening run
    Time: 33:03
    Dist: 6.02 km
    HR: 150 bpm

A run with a bit more trails and mud and hills. Also lots of graupels. Right in the face. Miserable. Matched my mood so that was oddly comforting. Nothing worse than your mood being out of whack with the environment you are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭S_D

BennyMul wrote: »
    I'm struggling also this one seems worse, Lockdown 1 we had lovely weather, lockdown 2 had Christmas to keep us entertained, now its just $h1t.

Its hard alright. Day by day. If motivation is low, get an espresso into you - get your runners on and run for 10 mins - make a call then..chances are you wont stop! I'm normally easily motivated but even this lockdown im finding it hard to get up of the sofa and get out

Tuesday 8th February

Evening run
    Time: 33:05
    Dist: 6.04 km

Slightly better conditions today. Some weirdness from right knee. Either vastus lateralis or hamstrings. Easy to confuse the two at the point it feels "off", similar to ITBS. Onset too swift to be iTBS though.

Very consistent pace, SPM, HR and indeed PE for the same run on the same routes.

Friday 12th February

Evening run
    Time: 24:49
    Dist: 4.5 km
    HR: 148 bpm
    Pace: 5:32 per km

Set out with the intention of running 8km but had not settled on a route so started on a lap I know. Problem is that it was 4.5km lap and when I got back to my house I said "Fvck it" and went in.

Saturday 13th February

Longer run
    Time: 1:20:03
    Dist: 15.1 km
    HR: 165 bpm
    Pace: 5:18 per km

Hung over run. Want to get a longer run in and after last night's debacle planned a route. Parks, greenways, and the like were out as would have been packed so thought "Where will there no one?" The City Centre. So off I went into town and around the Grafton street area. Was very surreal.

Week #6 in review

Total time: 2:51
    Running time : 2:51
    Running distance : 31.7km

It is a start.

Monday 15th February

East eight
    Time: 43:47
    Dist: 8.05 km
    HR: 165 bpm
    Pace: 5:26 per km

Took the day off so headed out during the day for a run, I had expected things to be quieter so ran up to Marlay park. Madness. Jam packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I was in Phoenix Park yesterday at lunch doing some laps and it was the same! Very very busy. Had hoped to do a few reps of Whites Road but it was chaos there. All green spaces in Dublin seem to be jammed. The wife and I were only talking about the fact there is no where quiet to go within our 5km for a walk these days!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Took the day off so headed out during the day for a run, I had expected things to be quieter so ran up to Marlay park. Madness. Jam packed.

Only worth going to when it's raining. Never really liked it as a place to run even before covid as was always busy but now it's even worse especially as you can't zip inbetween the ignorant groups the way you could before covid :D
    I very rarely go in as it's just a pain, pity because it's a nice park.

Only worth going to when it's raining. Never really liked it as a place to run even before covid as was always busy but now it's even worse especially as you can't zip inbetween the ignorant groups the way you could before covid :D
    I very rarely go in as it's just a pain, pity because it's a nice park.

We are going to skip merrily along three abreast and hold hands. Damn joggers not giving us 2 metres space....

Friday 19th February

Least it was something
    Time: 20:00
    Dist: 3.35 km
    Cad: 173 spm
    Pace: 5:59 per km

I have felt like **** all week. Sore, achey muscles and joints, and totally exhausted. Don't think it is anything of concern however it meant I didn't do anything. I also didn't want to do anything today, but I took some of the advice offered had an espresso and just did something.

• Advertisement

Saturday 20th February

Wet waddle
    Time: 30:05
    Dist: 5.22 km
    HR: 153 bpm
    Cad: 175 spm
    Pace: 5:46 per km

Still wrecked and in **** form. Espresso and out the door.

Sunday 21st February

What is this thing with wheels
    Time: 1:03:00
    Dist: 26.7 km
    HR: 144 bpm
    Cad: 81 rpm
    Pwr (avg): 148 watts
    Pwr (norm): 186 watts
    Speed: 25.1kph

I have not ridden a bike in ages, I've not been outside on a bike in longer. So it took an eternity to find all my kit, charge things, fix things, and get out the door. Ní raibh cosa orm. And my neck (from the 2016 accident) started to hurt so I banked the hour and went home. Only strayed slightly outside my 5km.

Monday 22nd February

Park run
    Time: 30:04
    Dist: 5.4 km
    Cad: 175 spm
    Pace: 5:34 per km

Lap of the park at lunch.

Turbo time
    Time: 30:49
    HR: 115 bpm
    Cad: 84 rpm
    Pwr (avg): 102 watts
    Pwr (norm): 110 watts

Not sat on a turbo in a long time. Turbo has been set up for my wife including a female specific saddle. Not comfy and not used to the bike at all. Also had set the session up with a way too low power however given I don't know my FTP now it is all guesswork.

So a coach that frequents these boards that I respect highly pinged me with some observations on my recent training and metrics. He got me thinking a fair bit and while I had not been running to a pace or HR I would review to make sure in line with expectations for easy etc. Problem being these HRs (in particular) had not been refreshed in a decade. Still working off an LTHR of 176bpm.

So I did a guided LTHR test today and low and behold my easy should be a good 10bpm lower. So run slower and easier was very solid advice and I shall do that.

Wednesday 24th February

Guided LTHR test
    Time: 37:46
    Dist: 6.9 km
    HR: 148 bpm
    MHR: 185bpm
    Cad: 171 spm

Didn't hurt as much as I thought. LTHR is 167bpm not 176bpm anymore. Max HR is still >190bpm.

Screenshot-2021-02-24-at-15-42-50.png
    I am sitting down too much as my hip flexors were sore all day before this.

Jesus how is it June already.

Anyways an injured plagued while and motivation gone completely. Hip injury with risk of labral tear (now resolved) to a serratus anterior injury from a hard fall playing hurling.

Think it is time to be taken out the back and shot.

Nice weather mind.

So a few months back one of the lads suggested a group of us do an event, a 24 hour cycling event on Mondello race track. Four people, 24 hours. The guys trained for the event and put lots of effort in training. I, for shame, did not.

Anyways the event was at the weekend. Eight 45 minute slots on the track. Half in the dark - when it was also windy and wet, have in the light and bright.

I have to say it was a well organised event, and we had a good team, and a nice garage to get set up in. Sharing with a lovely group of French/Irish people who were either doing or supporting a four man team, a four woman team, and a one man team. They had lots of cakes and their young (17) helpers also helped us - on handovers, drying our gear, and giving us cakes! A tough but fantastic weekend that brought my cornering on no end.

Just under 6 hours of riding, maybe by 5-10 minutes as a result of hand over changes, and over 182km of riding. The non steady state riding was tough. When I managed to get in a group (and there were no groups at night, seemed to be less on the track(which was not illuminated at all)) the watts varied from 40 sitting in, to sprints of 780 watts in places.

My last session on the track was the final one and I did 8 laps. Final 5 of those 8 was working with a lad from Naas tri club. Final straight coming into the finish line was about 400m, I sat in and let him drag me to about 20m from line when I went around him and apologised as I passed him - every place could count, and sprinting is fun too!

Getting no sleep over the period of the event, and riding in driving wind and rain at 0200 in the morning was, I have to say, great fun and definitely character forming.

Finished 10th overall.

No crashes for us, no mechanicals for us, no argument - just a damn good time!

When I got home and unpacked I decided to go for a run to see how it felt.

In short, horrific.

Not very fit at the moment as the below Garmin metrics show - but have a plan to improve!

• Advertisement

The last few years I have fallen out of my good habits and fallen into some bad ones.

My weight has ballooned to 14 stone and I have not swam in years, cycled only a few times in the last year (once was the Mondello 24hour event), and I am not running that often. I am resolute that I shall ditch the, or at least most of the, bad habits and foster some good ones in 2022.

I have entered three events for 2022.

Belfast Marathon - myself and Tango are going to do this one. 1st May. No grand ambitions other than turn up on the starting line prepared as best that I can be.

Mondello 24 hour event - the 2021 edition of this event was in the middle of winter in the pissings of rain and wind, when the hours of sunlight were at a minimum. It was great craic and the same four man team is going to do it again. Ambitions for this one are to not be the massively weakest link and not to look like a certain character from a small village in Little Britain by being absolutely poured into my lycra cycling gear

Dubling Marathon - hopefully this will happen this year and the ambitions for this event are that my finishing time starts with a 3.

Along the way I walk to get back in the pool and do at least one triathlon this year. Getting back in the pool will be easier said than done. Life changes along the way and my mornings are now busy with walking dogs, letting the other half get to work early in the mornings, and dropping the kids to school. This does make getting to a pool more problematic. Coupled with the fact that the pool that I used to swim in has been filled in, literally.

I am working from home for the foreseeable and I am not sure if that helps or hinders things. No commute is good. However, no commute is also bad. I miss the miles that I racked up on the bike but I am glad that I do not have to do it every day now, it is a 42km round trip to the office my company is now at. That would quickly get to be a bit much for me I think.

In getting back into better habits I am returning to keeping a paper journal of my training, and also an online one. That helped me stay on the straight and narrow before and I am hoping it will again too.

Advertisement