Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Complaint about noisy neighbour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭SteM

Again, for you LawBoy, noting yr username:

If there is a -very standard- clause to which your tenancy is subject about noise not being audible outside of your apartment between certain hours

- and your water pump is audible outside of your apartment

- and your washing machine is audible outside of your apartment

- and both are significantly so, easily demonstrable

I assure you, it is a very simple matter to have that clause enforced.

And that's regardless of your rather emotive language and insistence otherwise

The request that the OP wash clothes only at weekend is clearly unreasonable, but the above is clear.

OP- your preference for a late shower unfortunately doesnt override your neighbour's right to peaceful occupation of their dwelling.

I did ask what the hours were that applied in your complex, apologies but i dont think you posted them?

Id advise you to observe them, tbh

Oh come on, we all know that these sorts of rules are put in to stop antisocial noise like loud music etc, not to stop people from showering at 10pm for goodness sake. The OP shouldn't be punished for the poor build quality of the apartments. By the way, if you work full time and are looking after a 1yo you will take a shower whenever you can get it, believe me. It's totally unreasonable to say someone can't have a 5 minute shower at 10 at night. Even more unreasonable to tell someone to only do their washing at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

I was in this situation once, the woman neighbour below me complained about me walking across the floor as the floorboards would squeak. One day she snapped and sent her husband up who arrived up like a fire storm and threatened me with all acts of violence. I can handle myself well enough and going toe-to-toe with this guy would have been over in around 2 seconds, but I played possum and invited him in to show the floor and how easy it was to make it squeak!.
    I should mention before the knock on my door I was entertaining 5 work mates. The lads could hear the shouting through the corridor and could see I was trying to invite him in, when the husband walking into the living room they were ready. I never saw a 40 year **** himself so quickly. I never got another single complaint and I moved out 4 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I have a triton.. new as of 2 years ago... the only sound is a really not loud hum and the sound of water hitting the shower floor.. marketed as ‘silent motor’... if they want ‘silence’ ask them to pay for its installation....

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/triton-silent-rear-fed-white-chrome-thermostatic-power-shower/747hf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Strumms wrote: »
    I have a triton.. new as of 2 years ago... the only sound is a really not loud hum and the sound of water hitting the shower floor.. marketed as ‘silent motor’... if they want ‘silence’ ask them to pay for its installation....

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/triton-silent-rear-fed-white-chrome-thermostatic-power-shower/747hf

Probably won't have any water unless the water pump is running.

Op, tell the other tenant to stop harassing you. If they continue contact the gards, if the council contact you again explain the other tenant is harassing you and that you have made a complaint to the gards.

You are making normal noise during your day to day living. You aren't doing anything wrong. Take note of any contact she makes with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

I live in an apartment with a 3 bedroom house upstairs. Multi unit development. I own my place and up stairs is rented. Unless you live with noise you just could not believe how much it can echo or magnify I guess is the word. Over the few yearstheres been different tenants.... I have had to talk to and explain the noise. Wooden floors and generally life just can take its toll on a person who suffers the noise. Has caused alot of distress to my personal life. My already poor health suffered from lac of sleep and the way the noises banging to my home. I had 4 different tenants renting up stairs and from it all I was getting very sick and found I was thinking alot of ending my life as a way out. People just told me it was life... get over it.. lac of sleep and ongoing disturbance or upset can make any good person go mad. The past year on top of that is no help to anyone mental health. Fortunately for me I got new neighbor's upstairs. It's just so so different. They go to bed at a regular time, dont wear shoes indoors, have a chat and say hello when we meet outside. Washing machine is put on in the morning... or evening but never after 11pm. Block rules request residents dont use after 11pm.
    Yes the water pump makes noise, the kettle boiling makes noise, the fridge is humming through the floor... I accept that. It's just the other stuff like running indoors... jumping up & down, shoes and boots I think are the big thing to me anyway. One lot had a dog, and would go nuts playing with the dog from 10pm.. with a basket ball... I would just have to sometimes just get out of bed and go visit another neibhour for coffee and a cry. And wait till their light was out by around 1 am sometimes. I understand your doing your best.. and when your in a family and life goes on and your busy you dont notice it all. You should not have to. You must get on with your jobs. But somewhere under it all there is a solution. Extra floor mats, just invite her for tea...when covid rules are safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

AmberAmber wrote: »
    I live in an apartment with a 3 bedroom house upstairs. Multi unit development. I own my place and up stairs is rented. Unless you live with noise you just could not believe how much it can echo or magnify I guess is the word. Over the few yearstheres been different tenants.... I have had to talk to and explain the noise. Wooden floors and generally life just can take its toll on a person who suffers the noise. Has caused alot of distress to my personal life. My already poor health suffered from lac of sleep and the way the noises banging to my home. I had 4 different tenants renting up stairs and from it all I was getting very sick and found I was thinking alot of ending my life as a way out. People just told me it was life... get over it.. lac of sleep and ongoing disturbance or upset can make any good person go mad. The past year on top of that is no help to anyone mental health. Fortunately for me I got new neighbor's upstairs. It's just so so different. They go to bed at a regular time, dont wear shoes indoors, have a chat and say hello when we meet outside. Washing machine is put on in the morning... or evening but never after 11pm. Block rules request residents dont use after 11pm.
    Yes the water pump makes noise, the kettle boiling makes noise, the fridge is humming through the floor... I accept that. It's just the other stuff like running indoors... jumping up & down, shoes and boots I think are the big thing to me anyway. One lot had a dog, and would go nuts playing with the dog from 10pm.. with a basket ball... I would just have to sometimes just get out of bed and go visit another neibhour for coffee and a cry. And wait till their light was out by around 1 am sometimes. I understand your doing your best.. and when your in a family and life goes on and your busy you dont notice it all. You should not have to. You must get on with your jobs. But somewhere under it all there is a solution. Extra floor mats, just invite her for tea...when covid rules are safer.

I would move to a different type apartment setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

Caranica wrote: »
    You quoted the OP in full but clearly didn't read it. They are Council tenants. The waiting lists are thousands long, they can't just up sticks and be rehoused.

They didn't quote the OP!

Next time the council contacts you, I would tell them you are drawing a line under it, and not entertaining any further complaints. I would go so far as to say you are considering making a complaint against the council official who is threatening you based on her ridiculous almost daily phone calls. It is ridiculous they are entertaining her.

Most people (in normal times) have to go out to work, so are not at home to run their washing machines at 7/8am or according to the timetables set by their finicky neighbours sensitivities. I'm sure if you were showering at 6am before work instead of 10pm, she would complain about that too.

I would tell the council that you are willing to limit using your washing machine to between the hours of 8am and 8pm and no showers after 10pm, but that is as far as you are willing to conceed. You will not be limited to when you can flush toilets or run a tap in your home, or certain days to do laundry.

Remind them that you also have a right to peaceful enjoyment of your home, and her persistent complaints constitute harassing behaviour and should be considered as anti social behaviour on her part. Put it in writing, if you must.

From citizensinformation.ie:

What is anti-social behaviour?
    Anti-social behaviour occurs where a person causes or, in the circumstances is likely to cause, to one or more persons who are not of the same household as the person:

- Harassment or
    - Significant or persistent alarm, distress, fear or intimidation or
    - Significant or persistent impairment of their use or enjoyment of their property.

I say she falls into all three. I can tell by your posts that you're stressed and upset and tiptoeing around your own home to try and keep the peace. How dare she ask you what time your baby cries?

Its not going to work long term, unless you take a very firm stand because she is never going to be satisfied. As soon as one problem is resolved, I guarantee you, she will find another unless you stand up to her strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

omegab wrote: »

That looks like a good idea and cheap too, just a sandwich of wood or fibre boards and foams,
    I considered getting a pump in, was going to make something like that up, but was considering a heavier or solid base layer to fix to the floor with rubber blocks, some kind of flexible layer and then a heavier layer to mount the pump and dampen vibrations.

Build quality has a lot to answer for imo, a small margin of improvement can go a long way.

• Advertisement

omegab wrote: »

They help for sure if the noise is coming down through the base, but a lot of the noise comes from the pipes vibrating as well. You can get anti vibration clamps that are cheap and easy to install.

Easiest way to test if it's the pipes is to just grab one when the pump is running. If that quietens the noise then get some clamps

Also dirt can build up causing the pump to be noisy, a plumber can flush it easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

W0LFMAN wrote: »
    I was in this situation once, the woman neighbour below me complained about me walking across the floor as the floorboards would squeak. One day she snapped and sent her husband up who arrived up like a fire storm and threatened me with all acts of violence. I can handle myself well enough and going toe-to-toe with this guy would have been over in around 2 seconds, but I played possum and invited him in to show the floor and how easy it was to make it squeak!.
    I should mention before the knock on my door I was entertaining 5 work mates. The lads could hear the shouting through the corridor and could see I was trying to invite him in, when the husband walking into the living room they were ready. I never saw a 40 year **** himself so quickly. I never got another single complaint and I moved out 4 years later.

That bit made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭irishfemme

Also, take note of the fact that the apartment is with a day and night Meter & with storage heaters, so everything is more expensive when used during the day.

It's not a block of apartments, I think those are better sound proofed. This is an estate with a few duplexes with apartment on top.

This neighbour of mine keeps coming up with more things as we solve others. It's easier for people to say what I should do, but don't forget, I have kids. It's taken a toll of my 10 yrs old, who is now scared to even jump.

Since I have one hour window to do my washing 7-8am, I find myself having clothes airer almost everyday in the living room. I wish I could move, I think this apartment was built with only couples in mind or someone with 1 child.

I will see if some sound proof mat can be placed where the pump is, it seems to be the main culprit to this woman's issue..and the council won't even investigate or have a look at what can be done to reduce the sound.
    The apartment was purchased and I reckon no inspection was done much upon purchase by them.

I have no wooden floor anywhere in the apartment... So I doubt footsteps and minor things like that get through the flooring... I wouldn't even know, as she hasn't let anyone into her duplex to hear the level of noise.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

irishfemme wrote: »
    Also, take note of the fact that the apartment is with a day and night Meter & with storage heaters, so everything is more expensive when used during the day.

It's not a block of apartments, I think those are better sound proofed. This is an estate with a few duplexes with apartment on top.

This neighbour of mine keeps coming up with more things as we solve others. It's easier for people to say what I should do, but don't forget, I have kids. It's taken a toll of my 10 yrs old, who is now scared to even jump.

Since I have one hour window to do my washing 7-8am, I find myself having clothes airer almost everyday in the living room. I wish I could move, I think this apartment was built with only couples in mind or someone with 1 child.

I will see if some sound proof mat can be placed where the pump is, it seems to be the main culprit to this woman's issue..and the council won't even investigate or have a look at what can be done to reduce the sound.
    The apartment was purchased and I reckon no inspection was done much upon purchase by them.

I have no wooden floor anywhere in the apartment... So I doubt footsteps and minor things like that get through the flooring... I wouldn't even know, as she hasn't let anyone into her duplex to hear the level of noise.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, very much appreciated.

If the council don't care, then you shouldn't either! Best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You can always change your electricity plan. You're not tied to day and night surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭supermans ghost

Is this another Man United thread:)

You can always change your electricity plan. You're not tied to day and night surely?

You'd be robbed with storage heaters if you swapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭maebee

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Old power shower packed it in, got a Triton quiet power shower.
    Can't believe how quiet it is, just sounds like running a tap.

We got one about 18 months ago. It's brilliant but................. the first day it was installed I barged into the bathroom to collect the laundry basket and my (very shocked) Canadian visitor was in the shower:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

DubLad69 wrote: »
    I've never had to live in an apartment, but to me the idea that you can only do you washing at a certain time is very strange.

But to tell someone that they can't wash themselves after a certain time is just insane. No one should have that level of control of what someone else does (outside of a prison).

sadly the reality of Irish apartments, no soundproofing at all. Ive been in loads of countries that would have absolutely nothing like those rules and would find them strange. Some apartment complexes in Germany you could practically play a drum kit in the living room and not hear anything about it from neighbours.

this sounds extreme though. 7am-11.30pm you should be able to do whatever the hell you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I bet theres storage heaters, in which case you'd be insane to swap to an all day tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I bet theres storage heaters, in which case you'd be insane to swap to an all day tariff.

If that's the case the OP should budget for laundry during the day. I would never in a million years put a washing machine on after 10 at night or before 10 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Fairly obvious before she moved in that there’d be a strong possibility of some noise- if she wanted total silence then I’d suggest a detached house out the country. Other than that politely go away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

1874 wrote: »
    That looks like a good idea and cheap too, just a sandwich of wood or fibre boards and foams,
    I considered getting a pump in, was going to make something like that up, but was considering a heavier or solid base layer to fix to the floor with rubber blocks, some kind of flexible layer and then a heavier layer to mount the pump and dampen vibrations.

Build quality has a lot to answer for imo, a small margin of improvement can go a long way.

On the build quality, I worked on sites during the Celtic tiger and the amount of chancers was unbelievable.

The lad in charge of putting in the soundproofing at the service ducts in one set of apartments would put a tiny bit in and then cement over. Guarantee the neighbours in these will be able to hear each others conversations.

In this case surely the council as landlord has to come up with a solution instead of joining in in the harassment of the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Our apt was finished in 2009, so far we’ve spent nearly 10,000€ to sound insulate, mitigate from the roof garden which is now out of use and to try & dampen as much noise of our connecting neighbours as we could. Unfortunately we also had to obtain 2 abatement orders against both our neighbours as it was considered by a judge to have to listen to conversations, washing machines, preparation of meals etc and the children bouncing all over the place past 11pm (private rental) I know the landlord had to relay the timber floor correctly, supply a better rated washerdryer and put in the correct underlay and various other things. The other side loved to have karaoke parties after 1 am, they are an owner & sub tenant.

Luckily, though we will be selling later this year or early next and moving.

OP, do feel for you as you have the right to live a peaceful enjoyment of your accommodation you really really need to pressure the council to help you. What I would do is to ring your housing officer, if that’s the term, explain the issues to them so they can help you insulate the boiler and other items in so much is possible, some of the issues are items that probably are the property of the management company. I also can understand where your neighbour might be coming from, if they never had children and live a fairly isolated life then family life noises can be quite invasive & unreasonable to them.

I’ve lived in apartments for many years along with terraced houses & have never been in such terribly insulated properties as I have been in ROI. I think on the continent, there is a much longer history of high density housing and are better at sound insulation.

The bill is already craze, the storage heaters are made for the day and night Meter, so switching is not an option here. That's how they built the apartment on top of duplex, no gas... But duplex has both gas & electricity.

My entire point!!!! She lives alone in the 3 bed and was particularly concerned about noisy kids before she moved in. I never thought much of it and told her it was a family estate. The duplex here are fairly affordable I guess.

She complains about my other neighbours kids, but they have totally ignored her... But I honestly feel for her, she seems soo fragile.
    road_high wrote: »
    Fairly obvious before she moved in that there’d be a strong possibility of some noise- if she wanted total silence then I’d suggest a detached house out the country. Other than that politely go away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

No excuse for loud coitus.

Again, thanks for this, I just want the council to inspect this apartment. I have insisted on no communication until someone actually comes out to inspect the pump and hear the sounds in her duplex.

Mediation won't work in a case like this... I think.
    Mimon wrote: »
    On the build quality, I worked on sites during the Celtic tiger and the amount of chancers was unbelievable.

The lad in charge of putting in the soundproofing at the service ducts in one set of apartments would put a tiny bit in and then cement over. Guarantee the neighbours in these will be able to hear each others conversations.

In this case surely the council as landlord has to come up with a solution instead of joining in in the harassment of the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

irishfemme wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I think that's the problem, I am too accommodating!! The other neighbour she requested to move out stopped talking to her, she has a 5 & 3 yrs olds.
    She bought her duplex privately, just my apartment is a council one.
    The pump makes normal noise I am accustomed to. I have lived in apartments for over 11 years and had no issues.

This apartment I guess is badly built! And the neighbour doesn't want a single noise.
    I have accommodated her cause she lives alone in the 3 bedroom, I have never seen a friend or visitor drop by, only her dad.
    She looks super fragile to me, although very young.

The man that calls me from the council does so almost every other week and this is also affecting me mentally. He hasn't actually done anything, except tell me he would write an anti social letter to me. "

I have several emails to him requesting someone to visit the apartment and investigate the noise.
    The day and night Meter also means I have an average bill of €300 without washing during the day...
    She has even said she could hear the radiator noise.

I am fed up at this stage, blocked her from my whatapp as she messages to ask what exact time my baby cries, as she's yet to hear her cries at night.

Thanks.

(//" the man that calls me from the council does so almost every other week and this is also affecting me mentally. He hasn't actually done anything, except tell me he would write an anti social letter to me. "//)

Are you sure it's someone from the Council who's ringing you? It could be a friend of hers she's getting to ring you, does he give his name when he rings you?

Advertisement