Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint about noisy neighbour

Options
  • 16-01-2021 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I live in an apartment on top of a duplex, and we have about 5 of these joined together.
    The apartment is electricity only and has those storage heaters, a day and night Meter is what it uses.
    We are a family of 3/4 in the small 2bed apartment but the 3bed duplex is occupied by only a young lady.

This lady has complained about everything, the says she can hear the water pump, strange pipe sounds, showers, flushes, washing machine.

I agreed not to wash at night, and to start the washing at 7-8am, the day time kicks in at 8am. So I only have one hour window to do all washing. I have a 1yr old child and another under 10.
    She requested washing to only be done on weekends, which most days I adhere to.

I have my showers late, 5 mins shower and lately, she says it affects her, and we should refrain from showering after 10pm, unfortunately, this isn't possible.

She complained about sounds going on for 3-4 hours, but won't record the sound or give evidence. She says it's from pipes or flooring.
    I spoke to my neighbor and I was told she's says their kids are noisy too and she would like them to move.

She complained to my landlord (the council) and all I get is constant calls from them to ask me not to wash or shower. No one has come to investigate the pump or flooring, or even hear the sound in her duplex.

The situation is very tense and this lady seems very fragile, my kids can't even jump, out of fear of her lashing out.

The council said they have arranged mediation btwn her and myself, but I feel we may not get anywhere as no one is actually out to inspect.

I can hear my other neighbours conversations and nightly sex and everything. I just believe it's a part and parcel of this apartment on top of duplex living.

What can be done to solve this?
    The pump wakes me up whenever anyone ons the tap etc, but we are accustomed to it now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

irishfemme wrote: »
    I live in an apartment on top of a duplex, and we have about 5 of these joined together.
    The apartment is electricity only and has those storage heaters, a day and night Meter is what it uses.
    We are a family of 3/4 in the small 2bed apartment but the 3bed duplex is occupied by a young lady.

??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

keep it on topic please. If you don't have anything constructive to post, don't post.

Some posts have been deleted.

Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Most apartment developments have noise rules regarding noise that can be heard from outside, 10pm to 8am and midnight to 7am are two I've heard. I would expect that to include washing machines but not showers, toilets, sinks.

Your neighbour is making demands over and above this. Should like she needs to move to a lower density setting. I certainly wouldn't let her dictate that you can only do laundry on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭SteM

Agree to mediation but go in with notes on everything your neighbour has complained about and everything you have agreed to. That shows you are not being antisocial and being more reasonable than her.

I would agree with the above, I would not let a neighbour dictate what day of the week I did washing on, especially with a 1 y/o to look after.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭delboythedub

We are a family of 3/4 in the small 2bed apartment but the 3bed duplex is occupied by only a young lady.

This lady has complained about everything, the says she can hear the water pump, strange pipe sounds, showers, flushes, washing machine.

I agreed not to wash at night, and to start the washing at 7-8am, the day time kicks in at 8am. So I only have one hour window to do all washing. I have a 1yr old child and another under 10.
    She requested washing to only be done on weekends, which most days I adhere to.

I have my showers late, 5 mins shower and lately, she says it affects her, and we should refrain from showering after 10pm, unfortunately, this isn't possible.

She complained about sounds going on for 3-4 hours, but won't record the sound or give evidence. She says it's from pipes or flooring.
    I spoke to my neighbor and I was told she's says their kids are noisy too and she would like them to move.

She complained to my landlord (the council) and all I get is constant calls from them to ask me not to wash or shower. No one has come to investigate the pump or flooring, or even hear the sound in her duplex.

The situation is very tense and this lady seems very fragile, my kids can't even jump, out of fear of her lashing out.

The council said they have arranged mediation btwn her and myself, but I feel we may not get anywhere as no one is actually out to inspect.

I can hear my other neighbours conversations and nightly sex and everything. I just believe it's a part and parcel of this apartment on top of duplex living.

What can be done to solve this?
    The pump wakes me up whenever anyone ons the tap etc, but we are accustomed to it now.
    Is your water pump very noisy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Is she a council tenant also or privately owned? Personally I think you've been more than accommodating and by you actually being so accommodating she will keep trying for more and more concessions from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭irishfemme

Thanks everyone, I think that's the problem, I am too accommodating!! The other neighbour she requested to move out stopped talking to her, she has a 5 & 3 yrs olds.
    She bought her duplex privately, just my apartment is a council one.
    The pump makes normal noise I am accustomed to. I have lived in apartments for over 11 years and had no issues.

This apartment I guess is badly built! And the neighbour doesn't want a single noise.
    I have accommodated her cause she lives alone in the 3 bedroom, I have never seen a friend or visitor drop by, only her dad.
    She looks super fragile to me, although very young.

The man that calls me from the council does so almost every other week and this is also affecting me mentally. He hasn't actually done anything, except tell me he would write an anti social letter to me.

I have several emails to him requesting someone to visit the apartment and investigate the noise.
    The day and night Meter also means I have an average bill of €300 without washing during the day...
    She has even said she could hear the radiator noise.

I am fed up at this stage, blocked her from my whatapp as she messages to ask what exact time my baby cries, as she's yet to hear her cries at night.

Thanks.

My upstairs neighbour is nocturnal, and had taken to washing the clothes at night, which i had to get on to the management agency to put a stop to.

Water pumps, spin cycles are serious noise issues when they're coming from your ceiling!

What hours does your complex's "no noise should be heard from your apartment outside these hours" cover?

imo you shouldnt be showering or have any part of your washing cycle running during these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Tell her to jog on? You're obviously being too kind to her. You're fully entitled to use your dwelling as you please, without having to put up with that sort of carryon.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do a search on your address, to see if the apartment has ever been rented. If it is being rented to her, perhaps lodge a 3rd party complaint to the RTB over harassment?

How long has she lived there?

• Advertisement

My upstairs neighbour is nocturnal, and had taken to washing the clothes at night, which i had to get on to the management agency to put a stop to.

Water pumps, spin cycles are serious noise issues when they're coming from your ceiling!

What hours does your complex's "no noise should be heard from your apartment outside these hours" cover?

imo you shouldnt be showering or have any part of your washing cycle running during these times.

Yes, I understand the spin cycle can be noisy, but it's not my fault we have water pumps in the apartment. We have to flush and use the tap often.

I stopped washing at night, even though its a day and night Meter and with storage heating. I do my washing btwn 7am - 8am like I mentioned, but she wants it weekends only.

It's a duplex with an apartment on top...

I think not showering at night is asking for way too much. I have 2 kids and I like to mellow and ease off at night when they r asleep. I prefer to shower before my night sleep unfortunately.

Washing machine is a minimum of 15 mins with spins and all, a shower is 5 mins without spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

I've never had to live in an apartment, but to me the idea that you can only do you washing at a certain time is very strange.

But to tell someone that they can't wash themselves after a certain time is just insane. No one should have that level of control of what someone else does (outside of a prison).

the_syco wrote: »
    Do a search on your address, to see if the apartment has ever been rented. If it is being rented to her, perhaps lodge a 3rd party complaint to the RTB over harassment?

How long has she lived there?

She bought it, but I had a word with her about harassment.
    She actually use to come out of her duplex the moment she heard my door to chat!!
    Even my visitors are often met by her queries.

She stopped that now though and stopped messaging me.
    I believe she calls the council daily now and they this particular man in there has taken it upon himself to call me everyday he gets a call from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

As much as a pain as it can be it's none of her business what you do and when.

DubLad69 wrote: »
    I've never had to live in an apartment, but to me the idea that you can only do you washing at a certain time is very strange.

But to tell someone that they can't wash themselves after a certain time is just insane. No one should have that level of control of what someone else does (outside of a prison).

I have lived in plenty of apartments and nobody has ever dared to demand that I shower/wash my clothes at a particular hour.

They have absolutely no right to do so and anyone who says otherwise is bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Don’t interact with her anymore. You and your family are entitled to wash and do laundry, both of which are basic human necessities. She sounds like a looper so I would treat her like she doesn’t exist from now on. If it continues report her for harassment and get a barring order. From what you say in your post you are not doing anything wrong.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    I have lived in plenty of apartments and nobody has ever dared to demand that I shower/wash my clothes at a particular hour.

They have absolutely no right to do so and anyone who says otherwise is bonkers.

Again, for you LawBoy, noting yr username:

If there is a -very standard- clause to which your tenancy is subject about noise not being audible outside of your apartment between certain hours

- and your water pump is audible outside of your apartment

- and your washing machine is audible outside of your apartment

- and both are significantly so, easily demonstrable

I assure you, it is a very simple matter to have that clause enforced.

And that's regardless of your rather emotive language and insistence otherwise

The request that the OP wash clothes only at weekend is clearly unreasonable, but the above is clear.

OP- your preference for a late shower unfortunately doesnt override your neighbour's right to peaceful occupation of their dwelling.

I did ask what the hours were that applied in your complex, apologies but i dont think you posted them?

Id advise you to observe them, tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That the shower/pump is noisy is a matter for the landlord to rectify. The OP should not be punished for a building fault.

Asking someone not to do laundry at night is fair enough but dictating personal hygiene timings is not.

OP you need to investigate why your electricity bills are so high, they sound outrageous for an upper floor 2 bed apartment. You may not be using the heating correctly, seems to be a common issue with electric heating. If you can control your bills then doing laundry during the day would make much more sense.

If there is a -very standard- clause to which your tenancy is subject about noise not being audible outside of your apartment between certain hours

The request that the OP wash only at weekend is clearly unreasonable, but the above is clear.

OP- your preference for a late shower unfortunately doesnt override your neighbour's right to peaceful occupation of their dwelling.

I did ask what the hours were that applied in your complex, apologies but i dont think you posted them?

My language is emotive because the OP is being harassed by his/her neighbour and I want to emphasise the point that there is absolutely no legal basis for said neighbour to dictate how the OP enjoys the reasonable use of his/her own dwelling.

If such a clause existed, surely it would have been the neighbour's first port of call? If she's bombarding her local councillor with phone calls every day, don't you think he would inquired as to whether such a clause exists?

The estate in general says no noise from 11pm till 7am, so we are not meant to shower at 6am? Not flush at all from11pm?.not wash dishes or use the tap at all? I mean, that's not stated in the tenancy... I think the washing machine would fall into that category of noise. Very unreasonable if you ask me and impossible.

Is there a water pump that may be more quieter? It's an apartment on a duplex as mentioned and the water tank is inside the apartment. So the pump brings water into the apartment from downstairs I believe.

Thanks for your comment though.

The request that the OP wash clothes only at weekend is clearly unreasonable, but the above is clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

Assuming that the pump is working correctly, that would not fall under the audible noise between certain hours clause. It is unreasonable to expect a family to abstain from using running water between, for example, 10 pm and 8 am. The purpose of such a clause is primarily to keep antisocial noise to a minimum.

Not having a go at you OP

It may be that the soundproofing or the water pump need looking at

And taps, flushing, etc is all fair game imo. Unavoidable occurrences.

Showers and washing machines can and should be planned so as not to impose if you are aware that the noise carries, thats all.

Aware I'm in the minority but I've tried to keep my posts factual and fair to give both the other point of view (tho I'd agree that in all the other stuff the neighbour seems unreasonable) and the basis under which you might actually find yourself in breach if it comes down to it.

Best of luck in dealing with the situation in any case.

I guess my question is, is there a more quiet pump that can be bought? This was only replaced 2 years ago.
    To me, it's not loud to the extend of affecting my life, it may be different for the lady downstairs.
    She won't record how loud it is or anything though.

Thanks, I would think so too. I agree with you.

And oh, the council that purchased this apartment have no clue, they asked me to look for the estate rules myself and try to stick to it, and stick to the councils tenancy agreement which doesn't state not taking a shower before 7am.

We are a family, I work full time, baby goes creche and older kid goes to school.. So, how is this family meant to operate? (off course we are home now).
    Sarn wrote: »
    Assuming that the pump is working correctly, that would not fall under the audible noise between certain hours clause. It is unreasonable to expect a family to abstain from using running water between, for example, 10 pm and 8 am. The purpose of such a clause is primarily to keep antisocial noise to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I wouldn't sign a lease that included that.

Good look enforcing it when I stop paying rent and exhaust all of the RTB dispute resolution processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,832 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You should be able to shower when you like. Personal hygiene ffs.. next this individual will be asking you to refrain from flushing your toilet between x time and y time... If the shower is genuinely bothering them they need to take it up with their psychologist...

You could have a 6am start in work, up at 4.30... are you expected not to shower before work ? Wash yourself with a bucket of water ? I wouldn’t give them an ear....... continue doing what you are doing...

If they repeatedly bring it up... “ sorry, this topic is closed for discussion now, I’d like to be left alone now, thanks.”.... that way if they continue to bring it up.... it could or should be considered harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think your neighbour is being completely unreasonable, however just mentioning on the shower front.

Old power shower packed it in, got a Triton quiet power shower.
    Can't believe how quiet it is, just sounds like running a tap.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The issue is the water pump, when u shower, the pump makes a sound... Cause water is being drawn into the tank upstairs. So, regardless of shower, opening the tap alone causes the pump to make an audible sound.

I tried to turn off the pump and unfortunately, I had no water in the bathroom... Both hot and cold disappeared.
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think your neighbour is being completely unreasonable, however just mentioning on the shower front.

Old power shower packed it in, got a Triton quiet power shower.
    Can't believe how quiet it is, just sounds like running a tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

There are newer types of Triton power showers alright, might be worth bringing up with the landlord, I would not use my own electric shower after 10pm though as its noisy, although I have tank and a gravity fed shower also which is great as no noise.

I wouldnt think its reasonable to use the shower before 7am so if the OP needs to be out, but she says she likes to shower before bed is there any harm adjusting the timing of that to as early as possible? cant say there is much that might be done about the water pump, but cannot see why it would run during the night?
    I wouldnt run a washing machine at night, and Im in a semi d house, have a good quality machine and its quiet, but the noise really travels.

Is the cold/fresh water on its own supply? I assume so, Id honestly be using that to fill a reusable bottle rather than using the tank fed supply to be brushing my teeth anyway.

tbh, if using the toilet, wouldnt bother flushing if its yellow, ie let mellow, otherwise work away.

While the person does seem like its OTT, noise is subjective and maybe if the place is rented she put up with a lot in the past from other tenants and has had it.
    Its very possible the pump is noisy due to fitting or pipes and that might echo down to her apartment and maybe the build quality worsens that.

If you kept a notebook and jotted down the time when the pump turns on,

likely when anything draws water other than the kitchen cold water supply,
    or even other potential things that could cause noise, if she complains and say noise was at a certain time then you might be able to dispute it, but if it matched a time something occured, it might help pin down the specific noise and what needs to be recitfied, I think thats better than people saying fcuk her, do what you want when you want, as they dont have to live there.

edit, previous post suggests shower is pump fed off tank and not an electric power shower, Id just shower as early as possible and do clothes during the day (but not only at the weekend).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭Damien360

Ask her if she is willing to pay your rent etc. If she is, you will bend to any rule she wants. Otherwise, go sling her hook. You are way too accommodating. It's good to get on with your neighbor but it's a two way street. She is being utterly unreasonable. Does she work ? Why dictate the rigid times you can live ?

Advertisement