Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

wondered, did they use that recording when moving agency (to explain reason they were moving ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DonNo21

Im waiting on probate it will be 6 months this week. Hopefully it won’t take too much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ladybug14

Put deposit on a second hand house on 31st jan. Still haven’t received contract or any correspondence from sellers solicitor despite my solicitor and EA following up. Apparently deeds were being located but that was over 3 weeks ago and still nothing. Anyone else experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Was it a one year lease? There are different rules during the fixed term compared to part 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Yes fixed term but she didnt put that on the contract

• Advertisement

Do you mean there was no term in the contract? If it said it was for a year, for example, then there are different rules if you leave within the year than if you had been there more than 1 year. It’s not a lot of extra effort for you but you really should do it right. You can assign the lease to somebody else (with LL’s permission) or if they don’t want that you have the right to leave. You can’t just give notice and leave without assigning the lease if that’s the landlord’s preferred option. If you do that she has the right to keep the deposit.

Lease was signed on 23/09/2021,lease commenced date was 1/10/21.Both dates are on the contract.We said to her that we want to sign for 6 months initially but unfortunately i didnt notice there is no term on the contract.It basically empty box on my copy wich she signed as well.

Post edited by bigboss1986 on

Threshold will take a look at the lease for you and advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I know they went to the agents bosses and let loose on them. Dont know if they played the recording, but they wouldnt have been shy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭joeguevara

buyer had survey last week. No issues and only thing was removal of white goods. Expected close is early June. First time buyer so no chain. Cannot wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

House went on the market 22/11/21; first viewing 26/11/21, had a few offers with the highest (5k below asking) on 15/12/21. Auctioneer suggested leaving until 2nd week in Jan.

A few more viewing in the week or so after Christmas but no better offers.

Verbally Sale Agreed 18/01/22, deposit received, proof of funds provided and taken off the market 26/01/22.

Contracts signed 02/03/22 with suggested completion of 16/03/22.

Bit of a hold up in bank releasing funds so hopefully late this week or early next week will be the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

It's over a week now since we put in our bid at 5k over asking. No counter offer from under bidder. Estate agent not giving any information. Can't get thought out of my head that we are being played. Property has been on the market for a while now. I think that they are hanging on as long as possible in the hope of a new bidder.

Somebody is getting greedy. Not sure if it's EA or owner. Going to give an ultimatum on Friday if no progress.

We are viewing two other properties Friday so it won't be an idle threat.

Are we doing the right thing?

Post edited by Barnaboy on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭joeguevara

When I was selling I made it clear to the estate agent that I would not accept any bud under asking. It didn’t stop about 10 viewers putting in lowball offers including a phone bid who never even saw it. Estate agent always texted me with them but had rejected them as instructed. I made it clear that when I received the asking I’d take it off the market immediately no questions asked. On the Thursday a first time buyer who had returned with her parents and uncle who was a builder and offered asking. The estate agent was quite strict in saying that they were obliged to go to the underbidder telling them of the bid. Radio silence. At 2pm the next day I said that cut off was 4pm and if we hadn’t heard back, it was closed. Rang the successful bidder. At 8pm they underbidder came back with an extra 1k. But they had annoyed me.

A week is a long time. But they could have been away for the bank holiday. It’s a tricky one putting a timeframe on it. It’s a sellers market. But you can’t be dragged on either. The estate agent should be communicating to you. Hope it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Hi all - sale agreed on a doer upper that needs a lot of work. Our approval is through Dublin City Council (Local Authority Home Loan) and we are nervous that it will be rejected due to work required (we can afford a lot of it but not everything outlined in the surveyor's report). We got onto a broker incase the council loan does fall through & he said that the banks would be the very same & need to see fully costed works required & ability to pay for same via your own money (no loans). Is this right? I cannot believe that in a country with housing issues like our, you can no longer buy a doer upper unless you can do it up immediately?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think you will be ok. Nobody does up a house in one go straight after moving in. They will understand this.

Really depends on what it needs. Is it derelict? Or were there people living in it but it’s a bit dated and needs insulation, rewiring etc? If it’s habitable you should be fine. If you couldn’t actually live in it in its current state (as opposed to wouldn’t like to), then you have a problem. Generally surveyor’s reports make things seem worse than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Is there a difference between a house survey & a structural report? Think I got the wrong one (and may cry)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 demr

You should probably go back to your surveyor to have him document what (if anything) is needs immediate attention (and provide an estimate of cost) and what can be addressed further down the line, and to provide a copy of this to you. Most loan providers will require this these days. So long as you have the funding to address immediate concerns, if any, there should be no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Hey could anyone recommend a broker in Dublin? Preferably as close to the City Centre as possible. TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ciara26

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Seems like a lot of housing estates are nearing completion, any sign of the property market cooling, or are things as mental as ever?

I can assure you that it is feckin insane out there. If anything it's getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 escapefromthecountry

We are in same position as yourself - house in north-west but have secured jobs in Dublin and want to move. Mortgage paid off but will need to take out another - if we can even do that- have you thought about renting for a period of time?

Collected keys last friday :)

All done in 7-8 weeks.

Removing old floor now while having very cold pint and looking how much has to be done :)

Also gave landlady 35 days notice and she acted like little girl but thats story for another thread ....

BigBoss

Thought about renting. Two problems- rental market is arguably even worse. Nothing available except the odd dump for exorbitant rents.

Second, house price inflation so high that your budget shrinks relative to market and your ability to continue saving is severely compromised.

Right now we are in a bidding war for a house that is just perfect for us. Initially in a bidding war with first time buyers. Managed to outbid them by going 5k over asking. Thought we had it. Then last minute a new bidder enters, FFS.....

They come in at 10k over us, trying to scare us away. Seriously considered pulling out but we love the place. So said we'd give it one last go, went in another 8k thinking that would force their hand. The way we thought about the bid was high enough to bring it to a conclusion. If their budget is big, they will follow with another big bid and blow us out of the water, or they will pull out thinking it's too expensive.

But of course they did neither to mess with our heads even more. They came back just 2k over us. What does that bid mean? Right at top of budget?

We are already at the limits of what we can afford right now. Although we have mortgage approval for a lot less than we can in theory afford. We are already in the process of getting an increase but it's not approved yet.

There is a cheaper option that we like but location is not as good. Reason for moving is convenience, so finding it difficult to bail out and go for this instead.

Feck all else out there. Trying not to stress out but the clock is ticking. We are sale agreed a few weeks now and need to get into a new house by September. Otherwise kids college accommodation gets really messy and expensive.

What to do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Bid more if you can/want to and keep going until you can't/don't want to. Trying to work out bidding tactics will drive you mad. They don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Can’t endorse this strongly enough. There’s no magic formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Currently in a similar situation, bidding on a house that we deem to be perfect for us. Unfortunately 1-2 bidders have the same idea and are also first time buyers. Anyway should be finishing up soon hopefully.

One thing thats on my mind is the agent who we met on our own one night to show the other half the house had hinted strongly that the house would be ready to sell around 405 Mark it's now upwards of 425K after more bidding. A friend who's more experienced in this is adamant that I call the agent out on this as it's now 20K more than what they hinted the seller would accept.

I suppose there's not much we can do - it's a sellers market and I struggle to get my head around whether bids are real or the agent is pushing the price up (despite the small extra commission they may be getting)

Is this the right thing to do? I wouldn't "Give them ****" as my friend mentioned. I wouldn't do that and also their name is across many of the properties in the area. But I would be tempted to mention it and ask what the story was. I suppose they can just say well I thought that was where it would end but another bidder came in strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭dubal

I dont see the point in calling them out, its a sellers market and the agent isn't stuck for buyers.

Advertisement