Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stellar XLM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Phoebas wrote: »
    You could ask the same about any crypto. Indeed, you could ask the same about gold. It has very little intrinsic value.

I could but I amn't. Gold is a finite resource used in any number of physical processes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

kippy wrote: »
    I could but I amn't. Gold is a finite resource used in any number of physical processes.

XLM is a strictly controlled resource (new coins are added at a rate of 1%) used in any number of financial transactions using the Stellar system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

kippy wrote: »

If Gold's value was measured by its use in manufacturing processes it would cost a tiny fraction of what it does.

Gold has very little intrinsic value. It's value is almost totally what people are willing to put in it as a value store - not unlike cryptos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

grindle wrote: »
    It's still very much in the growing stage. This kind of volatility will die down as their use grows,

Not really. BTC has already hit the market cap of some smaller currencies in the world and is far more volatile and unstable

Adoption as a currency is not really growing, quite the opposite, it's diminishing, less outlets are accepting them. People are hoarding speculative digital assets not spending them
    once it really starts bearing down and taking over it'll start working just like cash.

There'll have to be some pretty dramatic changes for people to start spending these cryptos on the same level of cash (or replacing it) apart from black market use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Adoption as a currency is not really growing, quite the opposite, it's diminishing, less outlets are accepting them. People are hoarding speculative digital assets not spending them
    Adoption as a currency happens later - either way, BTC is a terrible currency right now and possibly far into the future too. Maybe forever?
    The speculative investment angle is however, a fantastic Trojan horse into wider acceptance.
    Dohnjoe wrote: »
    There'll have to be some pretty dramatic changes for people to start spending these cryptos on the same level of cash (or replacing it) apart from black market use.
    Not sure what kind of timeline you're thinking in, but I think we'll see the adoption and use of these coins continuously growing at a faster pace over the next 10+ years.
    The smarter merchants are looking beyond BTC and have POS machines that have an option to basically act as an immediate exchange to FIAT for them for a number of cryptocurrencies.

Dramatic changes may take a long time to happen but the inherent value offered by having your own store of wealth available to you at all times and secured by networks as large as BTC or ETH's rather than stored as an IOU where your right to access can be revoked on a whim - it's not just going away this time.
    It can crash again once this crazy cycle reaches it's peak, but I can't see it being reduced to nothing as the reasoning behind it is still valid - it's gone beyond fringe nerds, anarcho-capitalists and druggies buying it.
    The more it spreads, the more is learned, the less chance there is of it ever passing by.

grindle wrote: »
    The speculative investment angle is however, a fantastic Trojan horse into wider acceptance.

It's basically the only angle. It really just leads into larger speculative investments until it becomes too much of a blackhole of cash leaving economies and governments step in - and the fun days are over

Hopefully we're at the beginning of this and not in the golden age of that right now

As for the currency side of it. Finance and banking (and related industries) are investing heavily into blockchain and DL tech to streamline everything, from cash transfers to smart contracts. No country will ever accept a decentralised currency (for obvious reasons), so cryptos will have a very difficult time competing with more advanced fiat. Except for black market/private use will I feel will lead to far too much attention from regulators

"Wider acceptance" of crypto just seems to be market cap going up until it cracks, and how many can get rich off it in the meanwhile. Strip away the entire speculative aspect of it and it would essentially just be small start-ups attempting to showcase blockchain/crypto tech competing against the big companies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

He can you all take this to a general crypto thread and away from this one. I keep thinking something exciting has happened with this coin every time I log in! Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Just found this thread. I was one of the money train riders in 2014. I've just converted my account to the new format (thank you Lastpass for my login). Now I have a balance of 4,600.999927 lumens. Dunno what to do with it now. :D

They cost me nothing, so nothing to lose. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Great thread.

I myself remember back in 2014 when some poster made a thread about this Stellar Lumen xlm coin on Boards.ie. I got 50 lumens free when i signed up to stellar, then i traded them a little for a day just messing around. I checked my stellar account at the start of 2017 and noticed that I had 4,500 stellar lumens, so i opened an account with bittrex exchange and transferred my Lumens there and then put them into bitcoin to buy a few other coins. I remember at one point my 4,500 lumens were worth €211, then just a week or two ago they were worth €1,122 or more, amazing. I still see stellar doing really well in the future as its a long term investment, and I also see Cardano ADA doing really well coming into April 2018. I got in on ADA at 2-cent and made some nice profits.

Great thread OP. People say that Cardano will go to the moon. It will go further than that 2018. Wait for the next big drop and buy a load of them, because ada in a few years could be the new ETH :) Stellar and Cardano ADA are going to be huge by next christmas. :)

The great thing about this all is that I never put a cent into cryptocurrency nor had to use my bank details to buy and trade, those first 50 free lumens made me a small fortune.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Advertisement

Stellar has already had a big jump in December, but since it's so similar to Ripple I am wondering if investors will see it as underpriced in comparison to Ripple, and they may start putting money into it.. already moving a bit today with the Ripple jump (against pretty much the rest of the market)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Xlm up 5 cents today..... Best bargain alert EVER....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Great day for XLM

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I think XLM has just taken the baton from XRP and is setting off on a sprint... fingers crossed!

It is flying today.... I hadn't an exit strategy planned.... Time to consider one I think....

It is flying today.... I hadn't an exit strategy planned.... Time to consider one I think....

I would forget about that and just hold on. Lots of big things happening for them right now.

• Advertisement

I would forget about that and just hold on. Lots of big things happening for them right now.

Oh I know but I'm just wondering what would I be happy with. Currently I'm happy enough to lose it all (I know it is unlikely to happen)... But at what point am I happy to sell at that's the thing! Could lumens have the potential to hit even a fraction of BTC... I suppose thats the question everyone who is holding XLM is asking themselves!

Either way I am certainly enjoying the ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Thanks to this thread I remembered I registered in their site a long time ago. Pleasantly surprised to find a nice stack waiting. Will hold and see where it ends up by mid 2018

Thanks to this thread I remembered I registered in their site a long time ago. Pleasantly surprised to find a nice stack waiting. Will hold and see where it ends up by mid 2018

Share the love .. :D

BTC 1CLHWdKMFi3RF4rckq54YqXfuiN99GmtpG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

I have 600 of these puppies

Which wallet is recommended to use when you want to cash out*

*I wont be cashing out yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I have 600 of these puppies

Which wallet is recommended to use when you want to cash out*

*I wont be cashing out yet

Cashing out means selling back to fiat currency...

Do you mean hodling off exchange?

• Advertisement

Happy new year from XLM.... was 40 cents when I woke up this morning....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

To the moon

I wonder where this will go. My guess is alot higher.
    With the pairing of IBM and Stellar , and the recent news of the new IBM trading platform, there should be lots of upward long term movement.

I'm not cashing out my 1500 ones which are currently worth 500ish euros. but I'm not putting any money in
    the value is continuing going up with all the good news coming out but I have no idea when if ever to cash out and for that reason I'm not investing any more than I currently have (even though it was free)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

I wonder where this will go. My guess is alot higher.
    With the pairing of IBM and Stellar , and the recent news of the new IBM trading platform, there should be lots of upward long term movement.

yeah, i need to get on this before fairx.io launches!

To the moon I said!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

Daraa wrote: »
    yeah, i need to get on this before fairx.io launches!

Got on this this morning, little late but sure better than never!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Daraa wrote: »
    Got on this this morning, little late but sure better than never!

Unless it drops!

Unless it drops!

What's that?? Never heard of it :D

Do people see this hitting over a euro in the near future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭bmc58

I have 4,400 and have upgraded my account ok.Now how can I sell them?

bmc58 wrote: »
    I have 4,400 and have upgraded my account ok.Now how can I sell them?

Ohh. thats a nice amount.. You have to put them on an exchange like Gdax. Then tranfare to your account.

Or I can give you 300 euro for them . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Gdax only supports BTC, ETH and LTC. If you're using gdax, buy one of them using your xlm on your current exchange, move to gdax, cash out.

wait until you can sell them natively for euro, they will be worth more then. Unless you need the cash now and in that case dashcamdanny will meet you in person and give you euro notes :D

Its funny reading the old Bargain Alerts thread when this all started on Boards.:pac:

I was never on the bargain alert I don't think, they all seemed to get around 4,000 if they followed the directions there, I ended up with my 1500 by just making an account and then later adding 2 factory authentication or something

I was never on the bargain alert I don't think, they all seemed to get around 4,000 if they followed the directions there, I ended up with my 1500 by just making an account and then later adding 2 factory authentication or something

Ah you were. Same page I was on

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91593325&postcount=756

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I got 900 by opening an account and never looking at it again until the thread resurfaced, so I'd say that's the bare minimum anyone got.

Currently ~€450 and rising for the bare minimum ain't bad! :)

woah I do not remember that at all not even slightly.

• Advertisement

woah I do not remember that at all not even slightly.

I was using a different username but I knew I did swaps at the start.

I have 600 XLM so I must have been giving and not taking it lol

I was using a different username but I knew I did swaps at the start.

I have 600 XLM so I must have been giving and not taking it lol

Looks like I did it a good few times. Maybe people didn't return yours. Take them to court when they're worth 5 euro each!

I have 4500..... Was that the max available? I genuinely can't remember.

Looks like I did it a good few times. Maybe people didn't return yours. Take them to court when they're worth 5 euro each!

haha

If it manages to hit €1 I will bail out. This Crypto stuff is not my cup of tea.

I have 4500..... Was that the max available? I genuinely can't remember.
    I haven't seen anyone who got more
    haha

If it manages to hit €1 I will bail out. This Crypto stuff is not my cup of tea.

I think I'll hold on until I can just natively spend them or exchange them directly to euros. If it crashes before that it'll be a pity but imagine in 5 years looking back and going OMG I can't believe I paid 3% fees to cash out for 500 euro when those 3% fees now are worth 500 euro!

looks like it will hit 50c today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

The fairx news bring huge potential for this coin. The tech behind it on its own has held huge potential but this fair enough and IBM combination is pushing it into a new stratosphere.

When fairx opens Stellar will explode.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    The fairx news bring huge potential for this coin. The tech behind it on its own has held huge potential but this fair enough and IBM combination is pushing it into a new stratosphere.

When fairx opens Stellar will explode.

The only complaint people have is the massive supply but I think that alone is a bonus, the value is actually more predictable as far as crypto goes and it stops it from being speculated so heavily, the 1% inflation being directly distributed to pools is pretty revolutionary. Bitcoin needs to be mined and goes to massive Chinese companies. Lumens inflate goes to the actual holders of the currency

Does this have the potential to buy me a new car/home/naked me rich..... All the news points to a yes on all counts.... Or am I delusional?

Does this have the potential to buy me a new car/home/naked me rich..... All the news points to a yes on all counts.... Or am I delusional?

Delusional unless you invest a significant amount as part of a broader more diversified portfolio.

The news is good and I expect nothing but gains but I'm not investing anything with no exit strategy only move I'm making is hodling free coins for the novelty of buying a treat in a couple years if it appreciates more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭uli84

The token they gave me for confirming upgrade process isn’t working :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement