Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

endainoz wrote: »
    Indeed there is. I saw this on Facebook the other day and ended up purchasing. Compared to other vintage makes, there was very good value in it I think. He's throwing in new mudguards with it aswell and fixing a couple of engine issues before it leaves his yard. Quite happy with it, will be a nice project.

539425.jpg

Know a polish lad that brought a few back to.poland with him to do them up and sow corn over there. Wouldnt think theres many left around here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Know a polish lad that brought a few back to.poland with him to do them up and sow corn over there. Wouldnt think theres many left around here

2 working every day within 1/3 of my yard and another parked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭DBK1

josephsoap wrote: »
    Any one know if the barrel wrap will work in older balers?

http://www.silawrap.ie/net_replacement_film.html

Sick of these bloody nets ...If they work on older balers (I think contractors baler is welger RP 235 or something like that) I’ll definitely consider buying a roll(s) of the above.
    I’m afraid buying the roll of plastic is both the easy part and the cheap part! There’s no retrofit kits available for any balers so you’d have to persuade your contractor to buy a new baler and get it as an option. Depending on manufacturer it adds between €6,000 and €8,000 plus vat to the baler price. And the last bit of persuading you’ll have to do is to turn him away from Welger because Welger (Agco now) are one of the only manufacturers that don’t have it on their new balers.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭westlander

ruwithme wrote: »
    Look up Carroll engineering in cavan. Worked a landleveler made by them for many years. Two folding sides on it,probably 12 or 13 foot width.

I thought it a great leveller to work ground with. The extra width is great when your busy at it everyday in a spell of weather.

Take your time buying one anyway as they are not all the same when closely looked at.

Taaffe land levellers another option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭9935452

Reggie. wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a landleveller for the reseeding. Would ya be better off with an 8ft or 10ft. I'd be mindful of travelling the roads.

Thinking of the dowd one made in cavan

Go for 9ft or folding .
    8ft is too narrow for the tractor.
    It wont be able to grade properly next to wires poles, edges of fields. Always wider than the tractor, keep the tyres away from trouble.
    9ft is lovely on the road.
    10ft is too wide for the rosd and gaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,257 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

DBK1 wrote: »
    I’m afraid buying the roll of plastic is both the easy part and the cheap part! There’s no retrofit kits available for any balers so you’d have to persuade your contractor to buy a new baler and get it as an option. Depending on manufacturer it adds between €6,000 and €8,000 plus vat to the baler price. And the last bit of persuading you’ll have to do is to turn him away from Welger because Welger (Agco now) are one of the only manufacturers that don’t have it on their new balers.

Would 4 layers of outside film after that leave the bale more or less as protected as 6 layers with net?

It would really only be the edge of the circle that would have the 4 layers total then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,257 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

josephsoap wrote: »
    Any one know if the barrel wrap will work in older balers?

http://www.silawrap.ie/net_replacement_film.html

Sick of these bloody nets ...If they work on older balers (I think contractors baler is welger RP 235 or something like that) I’ll definitely consider buying a roll(s) of the above.

I remember when the net came in first it was the best thing since sliced bread compared to cutting twine off before that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Saw a yoke working yesterday, it was like a smaller single flail topper on a digger cutting hedges.looked a grand simple job.anybody know anything about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

K.G. wrote: »
    Saw a yoke working yesterday, it was like a smaller single flail topper on a digger cutting hedges.looked a grand simple job.anybody know anything about them

I think spearhead had a hedgecutter that looked like a topper, the guy that started spearhead set up a new company when they were bought out, Murzi ( spelling ?? ) and they make something similiar ( saw video youtube )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Excavator mounted Brush hog or brush cutter. Popular in America especially mounted on skidsteers. Don't know who'd be manufacturing and selling them for the Irish market though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Excavator mounted Brush hog or brush cutter. Popular in America especially mounted on skidsteers. Don't know who'd be manufacturing and selling them for the Irish market though.

There's one in Antrim.

https://www.blaneyagri.com/machinery/excavator-flail-shredder-mulcher/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭davidk1394

New Bus here

Well wear. I saw it up on Eardlys story alright. For a small yard they sell some machinery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

wrangler wrote: »

They'd be the more regular flail type yoke. Quite a few of them on the go.

I think K.G is on about this type of a setup
    GT-135-5-0.jpg

4200-X-on-CAT-blade-carrier-with-excavator-view-website.jpg
    Basically a heavy duty topper with a hydraulically driven gearbox.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Who uses perkins engines now,dosnt seem to be used by either jcb or mf much now.wondering are they in trouble.traditionaly were great engines but dont see them much now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Who uses perkins engines now,dosnt seem to be used by either jcb or mf much now.wondering are they in trouble.traditionaly were great engines but dont see them much now

Most engine manufacturers have consolidated due to stringent emission protocols.

I don’t think the likes of a Perkins 236 will ever be seen again unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Anyone have any advice on buying new agitators, any brands i should avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I don't know about avoid,but i wouldn't pass a nc myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Redrock pump agitator here, tis grand. Is it for slatted tanks or open tanks? If for open ones I think there is a crowd in the UK that do a kinda whisk/ pump combination job, apparently the job for lagoons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Mooooo wrote: »
    Redrock pump agitator here, tis grand. Is it for slatted tanks or open tanks? If for open ones I think there is a crowd in the UK that do a kinda whisk/ pump combination job, apparently the job for lagoons

This would be for a slatted tank only, 4 bay.
    I'm wary of buying a 2nd hand one as most of those are probably half goosed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭9935452

Anyone have any advice on buying new agitators, any brands i should avoid?

What power do you have ?
    Cross have a good reputation . They claim to be unblockable but do block. Frames are known to crack on them, from being rough with them .
    Local place here made an alignment jig for the gearbox . If the frames arent welded back straight , it will blow shear bolts for fun. We know from experience
    Had one in the yard and was replaced by an abbey tornado. There a good few years , good agitator , prefer it over the cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

I had an NC3500 for years. Good agitator very easy driven. Have more power available to me now so bought a cross. Great yolk to mix but needs power to drive it. If it’s only for your own use plenty of 2nd hand NCs floating around plenty good enough

Anyone have experience with power harrows. Have a rabe bout 20 years old, never left a spanner on it. Looking to go onepass route. Nice Amazon’s on DoneDeal but I notice there’s no spring on them, the rabe has springs so that the Harrow is floating being carried on the roller. I presumed all harrows were the same until I started looking but a lot of them are sitting solid on the ground.

Tenants are spreading slurry here today, drawing to the pump, one of the tenants has a contracting business, if he ever got all his tractors together there's supposed to be over 30,he has three 3500 gal tankers in Dublin airport for the summer, they're some addition at this job, the other tenant works for him so has first call on all the machinery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Tenants are spreading slurry here today, drawing to the pump, one of the tenants has a contracting business, if he ever got all his tractors together there's supposed to be over 30,he has three 3500 gal tankers in Dublin airport for the summer, they're some addition at this job, the other tenant works for him so has first call on all the machinery
    Isn't he great :D

Anyone have experience with power harrows. Have a rabe bout 20 years old, never left a spanner on it. Looking to go onepass route. Nice Amazon’s on DoneDeal but I notice there’s no spring on them, the rabe has springs so that the Harrow is floating being carried on the roller. I presumed all harrows were the same until I started looking but a lot of them are sitting solid on the ground.

I run an amazone. What ya need to know?

What ya mean ya have springs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭stanflt

Isn't he great :D

Bitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Irrespective of how many tractors and tankers he owns he doesn't seem to care for the environment with a yellow rainfall warning of 30mm to 50mm of rain in your area tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What's the tankers doing at the airport? Flood stand-by?

What's the tankers doing at the airport? Flood stand-by?

keeping down dust in the summer

Base price wrote: »
    Irrespective of how many tractors and tankers he owns he doesn't seem to care for the environment with a yellow rainfall warning of 30mm to 50mm of rain in your area tomorrow.

A level field of heavy land and the boundaries higher than the centre....... where would the slurry go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Looking to buy a zetor (1990s model) with the big cab - purely cos of the big cab really.

One has come up, and I want to take a look. But with the lockdown, I dont want to be putting any lad under pressure to come with me. So, I'll chance looking at it myself...

I know brakes are a weak point in them - how can you check what state the brakes are in when buying?

Anything else I should watch out for?

Looking to buy a zetor (1990s model) with the big cab - purely cos of the big cab really.

One has come up, and I want to take a look. But with the lockdown, I dont want to be putting any lad under pressure to come with me. So, I'll chance looking at it myself...

I know brakes are a weak point in them - how can you check what state the brakes are in when buying?

I had a crystal here, never gave much trouble, what size are you buying

I had a crystal here, never gave much trouble, what size are you buying

1990s 65/70HP range... 6211 if possible, don't need anything too big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

I'd say just assume the brakes need doing, and budget for that. If it's dry drum brakes, they won't cost a fortune....

1990s 65/70HP range... 6211 if possible, don't need anything too big.

Zetors of that era are a straight forward tractor, not expensive to repair, pity you can't bring someone with you if you're not mechanically minded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Zetors of that era are a straight forward tractor, not expensive to repair, pity you can't bring someone with you if you're not mechanically minded

He could get the other person who might know tractors to travel in a separate vehicle and obviously pay for their expenses for the day. And keep a distance from them when they're examining the tractor.

He could get the other person who might know tractors to travel in a separate vehicle and obviously pay for their expenses for the day. And keep a distance from them when they're examining the tractor.

We're meeting checkpoints every day now, don't know if buying a tractor is a valid excuse.
    I had a dog with the vets for three days last week and for a checkup this morning, Brought in on wednesday, home on Saturday and today and was stopped everytime, in and out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Check the clutches. The PTO requires a good back as the level is on floorboard between your legs and its clutch is on your left hand side as a rearwards facing handbrake style mechanism. Try it and see if you can work it. Between those two levers is another metal lever which rotates to switch between 540 and 1000. Check they are all working.

Electrics are pretty simple and straightforward. If there is a compressor check that the tank can hold the pressure.
    But yes, brakes are the main point to check. Assuming they need worked on would be a fair starting point.
    Other than that just check the usual stuff like seals and leaks. Take a look at the filters - sometimes there is a date written on them, so you can check the service history.
    Although if you take a quick look around their yard (assuming private seller) then you'll you what sort of a crowd you are dealing with and set your expectations for mechanical sympathy based on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

We're meeting checkpoints every day now, don't know if buying a tractor is a valid excuse.
    I had a dog with the vets for three days last week and for a checkup this morning, Brought in on wednesday, home on Saturday and today and was stopped everytime, in and out

Probably depends on who you meet too.

I haven't been on the roads much at all so can't comment much on the guards.

Probably best to wear overalls and wellies then in the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Brought OH to Tullamore last week for a checkup and we were stopped twice on the way to and back. I headed home to NCD on Thursday evening and returned to Longford Friday midday and I didn't see a squad car let alone a checkpoint.

Yeah, I dont know myself to be honest Wrangler...

I'll see how we're fixed towards the end of the week...

Base price wrote: »
    Brought OH to Tullamore last week for a checkup and we were stopped twice on the way to and back. I headed home to NCD on Thursday evening and returned to Longford Friday midday and I didn't see a squad car let alone a checkpoint.

It was on the news today that the guards issued 30 fines in Longford so they're working near you somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Ollie & Gerry ?

stanflt wrote: »
    Bitter

Theres nothing that you annoy me more is having a fleet of tractors. Thing of nightmares for me

keeping down dust in the summer

That's only for roadbridge off to the side of the airport on a site. Not really the international airport where the flights do be.

• Advertisement

Ollie & Gerry ?

Yep

Theres nothing that you annoy me more is having a fleet of tractors. Thing of nightmares for me

I'd get sick at the thought of what you're doing......... hate driving tractors.
    Shortly after retiring a neighbour asked me to draw grain with a 2 yr old fendt and I declined,

Takes allsorts to make a world, some people thrive on that sort of pressure, he only branched into that at the building of the M6. Soil stabilisation is a big thing with him now. the tractor at that could be 450hp

Takes allsorts to make a world, some people thrive on that sort of pressure, he only branched into that at the building of the M6. Soil stabilisation is a big thing with him now. the tractor at that could be 450hp

Not on about the pressure.

I've enough OCD with 1 tractor. Imagine me trying to keep 30 clean.......nightmare :D

I run an amazone. What ya need to know?

What ya mean ya have springs?

When I set the depth with the rabe I tighten 3 coil springs each side. When I hit a stone the Harrow hops, aided by the springs so the gears, tines etc doesn’t get the full force of the bang.

It’s a onepass I’m interested in. What model are you running?

• Advertisement
Advertisement