Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Smashing job as always....

I really need to get an outside tap sorted on my new home.

No outside tap = no wash....

While you’re at it get an outside electrical socket for powerwasher. Something that’s on my to do list also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

While you’re at it get an outside electrical socket for powerwasher. Something that’s on my to do list also.

Yes that's a must...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MojoRising

What pads to use on detailing, have black volvo v40 r design, have rotary machine but not sure what pads to use, as in from beginning to end, apologies for ignorance, just want to make sure I do it right, and really appreciate any help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

MojoRising wrote: »
    What pads to use on detailing, have black volvo v40 r design, have rotary machine but not sure what pads to use, as in from beginning to end, apologies for ignorance, just want to make sure I do it right, and really appreciate any help

What pads you use will come down to the job in hand and what you requir, what pads you got etc etc.

If you go into detail chat thread lads will answer the questions as you could get several essays for answers to certain questions and that's the thread for best answers.

Plus this thread is for the results and lots of pretty pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Did a bit of a wheel detail at the weekend. Wash, decontaminate, detar, degrease, machine polished the face to remove scuffs and polished the inner barrel to shine it up a bit after claying, Gtechniq panel wipe wipe-down, 2 coats of Gtechniq C2V3 and a top coat of Gtechniq QD.

33728120678_4eb73b75bc_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

Did a bit of a wheel detail at the weekend. Wash, decontaminate, detar, degrease, machine polished the face to remove scuffs and polished the inner barrel to shine it up a bit after claying, Gtechniq panel wipe wipe-down, 2 coats of Gtechniq C2V3 and a top coat of Gtechniq QD.

Dayum that's cleaner than some peoples teeth! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

9-C96899-E-8-B2-B-42-F3-A210-44-ACFDA8-B6-B4.jpg

A polish and some cancoat applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

This is not a "whole vehicle" type job but I got sick of the external shower door and external gas connection door on one of the motorhomes.............

The plastics got sun bleached from staying in Spain for prolonged period. The annoying thing is that the rest of the external plastics (fridge vents, door surrounds, etc) didn't fade and it looked cack. CarPro PERL would hide the effects for a while (two months or so) but I wanted something a bit more permanent.

The process was:

1. Mask off the two doors

Plastics%20%281%20of%205%29.jpg?dl=1

2. Wipe them down with CarPro Eraser and leave it to "flash off"

Plastics%20%283%20of%205%29.jpg?dl=1

3. Apply two thin coats of Gtechniq C4.

Plastics%20%284%20of%205%29.jpg?dl=1

And then break out the tae................

It was repeated on some other small door catches.

Plastics%20%285%20of%205%29.jpg?dl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

Washed/de-tarred/de-ironed the family Octavia estate today. Lovely warm, sunny weather but not ideal conditions for this work outdoors.
    It’s nice to see a clean car underneath it all and there was plenty of dirt built up - I’ve no pics though. I ran out of time to clay it, polish and seal it as I ended up washing my parents Golf too so that’s something for the coming days when the sun isn’t splitting the stones.
    I used Autobrite citrus wash, Autobrite Magi-Foam, Tuga-Chemie Wheel cleaner, Sonax tar remover, Sonax iron remover, 2 bucket method using Meguiars Gold Class shampoo. I’m hoping I’ll find the time to apply some Fusso - I still haven’t tried this out yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Spend the last two days detailing the car, all the usual preparation and finished off with two coats of Collinite 845

33897820168_63fe61904c_h.jpg

46985672624_141995fcd9_h.jpg

46985672514_7b2945fcb8_h.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Nice car :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

vectra wrote: »
    Nice car :)

Sure is, but that downward kink at the bottom corner of the tail light, so un-Audi. Kind of wrecks my head.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Waxed a tiny section of the roof the other day, after removing a bit of iron fallout and poop.
    You can clearly see where i've freshly waxed and not.

25041ce65374bfaeaf31560a210c14ff.png

Full bonnet waxed though:
    ae2193a224e7bd8932b28e5565b8569d.png

Thanks to MetzgerMeister for the Wax! I finally got around to trying out the collinite 845 he sent me... a year ago. :eek:

Applied some Fusso over the weekend. The roof this morning, not much rain so just the dew beading.

E926-B0-AE-D235-444-A-9-BF4-4-E40-E3-F90-B8-B.jpg

I’ll try for some better pics when it rains again.

Bonnet in the dry
    6737-A9-B8-F711-4-E36-B685-530028-B82670.jpg

More beading
    248243-EF-1878-413-E-97-EA-7-AD37-CD86358.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

MX Valeting. see here

Appreciate it

Looks good ðŸ‘

Beaut of a car ðŸ‘

ianobrien wrote: »
    Yesterday I did some work on the Leon (it was massively overdue)............

Photo%20%20%281%20of%2020%29.jpg?dl=1

The process was
    • Rinse down to get the loose dirt
    • Snowfoamed with BH AutoFoam & rinsed
    • Snowfoamed again (it was VERY dirty!)
    • 2BW with BH Auto-Wash
    • Wheel arch liners, etc were coated with BH Surfix and worked in with various brushes. Rinsed off.
    • The sides & rear of the car below the window line were dried as well as the front bumper
    • Two applications of CarPro Tar-X and rinsed off (Geez that's great tack!)
    • A misting of BH Korrisol was applied and left to react. The boot door was the worst for the purple. Rinsed off.
    • Next was claying with a mix of DnD Detailing clay, CarPro ClayCloth and CarPro Immolube. Note to self, never start claying with the boot door. I started there and it was so bad I had to throw the clay out immediately after one panel!
    • The car was foamed again, rinsed down and re-washed using the 2BW
    • Dried with a Cry-me-Crazy. The car was finally clean.
    • LUNCH!
    • The panels were wiped down with CarPro Eraser and then IPA. I left it then about 30 minutes for the IPA residues to flash off.
    • Two coats of Gtechniq C2V3 were applied with about 3 hours between coats

The wheels were also done as above (washed with BH AutoWheels and then as above, detarred, clayed, etc) and they got a coating of Gtechniq C5. As I had to keep the wheels dry overnight and "something" was in the garage, I built up boxes from corriboard to keep then dry. Tyres were dressed with CarPro PERL 1:1 water.

While waiting for the second coating of C2V3 to be applied, I tackled the engine with BH surfix 1:3 in water to clean and dressed with CarPro PERL 1:3 in water. The external trims also got a coating of CarPro PERL 1:3 water.

Wheels complete..........

Yes I know the dark accents in the wheel are not showing up that well in the photo. It was late when I finished and I used my phone for the photos. I wasn't breaking out the SLR to get decent snaps
    Photo%20%20%288%20of%2020%29.jpg?dl=1

Photo%20%20%284%20of%2020%29.jpg?dl=1

The residue that came off the bonnet. That piece of clay then went into the bin.
    Photo%20%20%283%20of%2020%29.jpg?dl=1

Final complete item, after 10 hours all in (including stops for lunch & dinner)
    Photo%20%20%2816%20of%2020%29.jpg?dl=1

Photo%20%20%2819%20of%2020%29.jpg?dl=1

Photo%20%20%2817%20of%2020%29.jpg?dl=1

Edit - Forgot to say. I had to do some pipe clearance work after the foaming. The drain got blocked...........

Really nice job ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

^ I'm exhausted just reading that, well done, lovely job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Joined the black car club a month ago, it had it's weekly clean this evening.

Love the colour when it's just washed but it'll take some maintenance!

IMG-3645.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Joined the black car club a month ago, it had it's weekly clean this evening.

Love the colour when it's just washed but it'll take some maintenance!

IMG-3645.jpg

As much as we all love to do full paint corrections to the best of our ability, time is not always on your side especially when trying to maintain a black car. I would therefore highly recommend glazes or the likes of Meg's three in one, prima amigo etc to keep the car looking it's best (in conjunction with a good wax/sealant of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

atugyq.jpg

2a4om6u.jpg

My first go at detailing. Myself and the rotate photo thing are not getting on tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

enforced detail and a bit more today. My nephew decided to run his toy all over my bonnet/wing, with the inevitable damage. it was actually pretty bad, car is only just gone a year old (A6 black edition) and i had been minding it big time. so was pretty annoyed at this.

AEfEJrWh.jpg

dDaaWNVh.jpg

z9MTBjwh.jpg

so started with a snow foam, then a wash.then detar , wash again then it was onto the scratch correction. decided to give the Autoglym scratch repair a go, and happily it did exactly what i wanted. scratches removed, you wouldn't even know they were there now

Wh8u3fJh.jpg

qRrOJvgh.jpg

so then another wash, and decided to try the G30 wax, here it is soon before wiping it off

C4ueQyWh.jpg

and the results. good days work. scrathes removed, and a good protective layer put on

CcYmG5Oh.jpg

6YCghmjh.jpg

wheels tomorrow

DA polished the rear lamp clusters with Manzerna 3800 with Scholl waffle black.

Very easy to do and they are swirl free now with deep shine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

mossym wrote: »
    CcYmG5Oh.jpg

BEHIND YOU!
    Jaws music

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Parapara2017

Overdue proper wash for Terenure tomorrow.

Nothing too exciting, snowfoamed x2, then washed wheels with bilt hamber shampoo and wheel cleaner. Tyres were very dirty dunno why, very hard to properly clean will have to buy something to tackle them properly. Only had them off recently for full clean...

Used tar remover on various spots before washing after the snow foam, probably should have done it after the washing.

Washed x2 and dried. Optimum tyre dressing applied to tyres and trim.

Exhausts washed but not polished, insides get very black i have found cif is the best at cleaning them... Have polished outsides with bilt hamber auto polish before.

Finis wax applied to wheels and front black grilled and badge. (Rest of the car is ceramic coated.

Was going to apply a layer of wax but honestly it looked great without it, coating doing well so didn't bother. Inside got a quick Hoover and will clean it in am.

aRUyUaf_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    FlXZgZJ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    VOwlWIc_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

BEHIND YOU!
    Jaws music

ha

you could look at it another way, my kids know better than to try to squeeze their bikes between the wall and daddy's car. well trained :)

i had a lovely scratch along an F10 i had previously where a friends kid tried to squeeze their bike between two cars and didn't have the bike handling skills to make it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

mossym wrote: »
    ha

you could look at it another way, my kids know better than to try to squeeze their bikes between the wall and daddy's car. well trained :)

i had a lovely scratch along an F10 i had previously where a friends kid tried to squeeze their bike between two cars and didn't have the bike handling skills to make it

What you think of the A6 in comparison to the F10? Thinking about a 162 530 F10 or 181 A6..

Haven't got many pics but I spent my spare time last week giving the car a refining polish. Had the main cutting process done from about a month agoso that's all it needed and came out very well. I also polished all the glass to remove old Gtechniq G1.

Saturday saw it get 2 coats of EXO V4 and the glass got fresh coats of G1. Took me from 10:30 am to 8:00 pm as I wanted to make sure I buffed every area properly when it came to the EXO. I was taking my time too with breaks in between etc.

Only pic I have at the moment:

48229348746_190678d593_z.jpg

Herself thought the bumper was damaged due to the reflection of the wall :pac:

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    What you think of the A6 in comparison to the F10? Thinking about a 162 530 F10 or 181 A6..

very similar in some ways, very different in others. features wise they are the same car, some small differences, same with comfort, i am factoring in that my a6 is on a stiffer sport suspension and rides much lower.

the main difference is that the f10 feels more at home on the motorway, it fees like a heavier car that loves it when you give it some pedal and it gets to accelerate (mine was the 520, i drove a 530 when buying and it was even more so). the a6 feels more nimble, much nicer to drive around country roads. sticks to a turn more than the f10

that all sounds like i'm an aggressive driver, not the case.

the cars are aimed at the same market, makes sense they would be close. honestly i'd be happy with either one .of the two specific cars i had i prefer the a6 but that's because it's the black edition, if i had the M trim BMW that would have been a more equal footing.

so a long way of saying i can't tell you one is better!!

And where would we be without a few beading pics? :D

48233079636_6c36bc9c65_z.jpg

48233154302_941405a437_z.jpg

48236421851_4e81bc32c7_z.jpg

agreed, more beadage

PrTkCTYl.jpg

83GTF41l.jpg

nice beads,
    But where did ye get all this rain from??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

nice beads,
    But where did ye get all this rain from??

Probably went out with the jet washer and sprayed a mist...

Rained all day Saturday here.

It was misting heavily here on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

6Bzt148.jpg
    jWqWeoP.jpg
    Gave the new motor its first wash yesterday! Snow foam, 2 bucket wash, de tar and coat of c2v3 and D and D quick detailer also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Is that the 1.0 Dickied up?

Truckermal wrote: »
    Is that the 1.0 Dickied up?

1.1 non turbo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

My Fiesta is also a 1.1 non-turbo :D

Cleaned up today in advance of Kilkenny car show tomorrow.

j0dRLu6.jpg
    G6XnKus.jpg
    Tq0jdDv.jpg

Tzardine wrote: »
    My Fiesta is also a 1.1 non-turbo :D

Cleaned up today in advance of Kilkenny car show tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/j0dRLu6.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/G6XnKus.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/Tq0jdDv.jpg

Wow :eek:
    That Fiesta looks fantastic.:)

Love the Fiesta! Brings back memories :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Amazing car Tzardine!

Doing a bit of a job at the moment and I was scraping the bottom of the barrel(s) this evening..... I finished up the bottles of BH Auto-QD (Have to get more), Chemical Guys Honeydew Foam / Autowash (I won't get it again!) and a bottle of Gtechniq C2V3 (New bottle already on the shelf!)

Photos may follow tomorrow.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

My car has been very neglected in the last 3/4 months. I cant even remember the last time I washed it. Made a burst the weekend and decided to clean it up and get the summer grime of it.

wheels with Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner
    bilt hamber snow foam
    2 bucket method with carpro hydro2
    and dried with some fluffly drying towel. I think dry me crazy?

Also washed my parents car.

Noticed some specs under the paint on the back bumper, looks like they are painted over so will have to investigate further :(

ianobrien wrote: »
    Doing a bit of a job at the moment and I was scraping the bottom of the barrel(s) this evening..... I finished up the bottles of BH Auto-QD (Have to get more), Chemical Guys Honeydew Foam / Autowash (I won't get it again!) and a bottle of Gtechniq C2V3 (New bottle already on the shelf!)

Photos may follow tomorrow.............

I've no photos, the vehicle is gone on a 3 month road trip around the Iberian peninsula 2 days after I finished.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Was very busy the last few weeks so only got to give the car a much needed wash at the weekend. Things didn't go right.

Did my rinse and then my snowfoam. Guess I let it dwell a little too long because I got white staining/runs/damage to the clear coat on the driver's door and cill. It was like it etched or oxidized the clear coat.

Had to get the DA out then to restore it. It's not noticeable now unless you're looking for it but I'm disappointed with the snowfoam. Never had it happen before.

Was very busy the last few weeks so only got to give the car a much needed wash at the weekend. Things didn't go right.

Did my rinse and then my snowfoam. Guess I let it dwell a little too long because I got white staining/runs/damage to the clear coat on the driver's door and cill. It was like it etched or oxidized the clear coat.

Had to get the DA out then to restore it. It's not noticeable now unless you're looking for it but I'm disappointed with the snowfoam. Never had it happen before.

What snowfoam did you use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What snowfoam did you use?

Hydro2

Advertisement