Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Folks, is this a viburnum tinus?

Blue/black berries in early Winter.

If so, it's woody and dense. Will it respond well to trimming or how are they kept in some shape?

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yes that's it. Perfect time for trimming/pruning them now just as the flowering finishes. Then you leave them alone for the rest of the year to let them flower next Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,110 ✭✭✭✭looksee

See post 2634, take it as far back as you like, cut out exessive or dead or leggy branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

OK, I know its an aloe Vera of some sort, any ideas on how to rejuvenate it? It's a bit sad.

• Advertisement

Stand it in some water to give the roots a good soak for half an hour, then repot. Don't overwater but it does need an occasional drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jrby

Hi all,

Any ideas what these two are?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Common sow thistle and common dock.

Wake me up when it's all over.

thanks, getting grips with a new garden and now sure if I’m pulling up weeds or flowers, after years I’m telling my wife that weeds are just flowers in the wrong place!

Just to rub it in you also have Cleavers (Goose grass), and oxalis in those pictures ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And what look like bluebell leaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Thanks to all for advice. What a difference in just a week.

I reckon may have been too humid and not enough light in daughters bedroom. In kitchen now near window in strong but not direct sunlight

Thanks again.

which ones are those and should I be pulling them up?

I planted bluebells! But can’t figure out now what I planted and what’s a weed!

another question! Is this ornamental grass or just a clump of grass that has grow. Up. Have three of them in close proximity. And really appreciate the help.

Yes it could be ornamental grass, the difference is sometimes a bit subtle.

You seem to have a nice crop of bindweed starting too, as you are digging around if you come across white roots venturing forth they are either bindweed or scutch, neither of which you want. Those bright green roundish little leaves, sometimes with a bit of a curly shoot are bindweed. Its the roots you need to get out carefully, try not to break them and get every bit you can.

The cleavers is the stuff like ribs of an umbrella in the first pic. Easy to pull up and not inclined to send out roots particularly but will go mad as the season progresses. The oxalis is the stuff like shamrock.

No its celandine - but in my garden I consider it a weed. It is however a welcome spring yellow flowed plant in the wild areas of my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

• Advertisement

thanks, so to start with, I can pull up these lads?

Yep they're the cleavers, start with the easy ones!

The dock and the Oxalis will need careful and deep forking to remove all the root, the dock will be at least a foot down.

During a very dry Summer I once pulled a few out of a garden which had roots of between 80cm and 1m. Best get them early.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

If you have scutch you need to be super vigilant about removing it entirely as soon as it pokes up as looksee said. It will spread by rhizomes underground, and if you're not careful you will displace the bulbs as you pull up a plant, causing even more to grow. If there's a big patch I would just remove as much soil as possible and replace as it is much easier. If a small amount use a tool like a dandelion weeder to remove the entire stalk from below (don't pull from above). You can eradicate it from a contained area though. I managed to remove it entirely from a really huge raised bed spanning the back of my garden infested by it by a combination of the above. I used to go out for half an hour every morning with my dandelion weeder removing anything that was poking up. Nothing has reappeared thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

This is the lawn currently. What are the clumps of grass?

What steps should I be taking to sort this out?

I think I need to:

• Aerate
    • Sow grassseed
    • Kill weeds
    • Kill moss

Do I sow grassseed first and then wait until summer to remove the weeds and moss?

When should I aerate the lawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭MacDanger

The clumps of grass are scutch

Chop/slash the course grasses with a spade just before you cut each time. Just 4 or so slices into the clumps will help reduce them. You can dig them up and replace the soil but thats a lot more work.

As to the bare patches suspect waterloging?

You appear to have it planted directly into a cache-pot, which is a fancy pot designed to hold a plantpot with holes. It will not have any holes in it so it is more difficult to regulate watering - any water that goes in (mostly) stays there. Since it is a succulent you may well get away with it if you do not overwater it, but you have to be careful. Also a lot of cache-pots are not completely waterproof and will mark a surface if you do not put a moisure proof mat under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

There is moss starting if you zoom in.

Not sure if I get rid of them first or sow grass and how it strangles the moss before I kill it later.

I presume weedol will have no effect on scutch?

• Advertisement

Everyone has moss starting at this time of year. Think you can leave that as a worry for now. If you lightly rake the bare surface with a bit of compost and some grass seed then thats all you really need to do. Weedol will kill the scutch but it will probably kill a good be of grass all around it so best avoided. Then of course keep aerating, do a bit before you cut each time along with slashing at clumps of course grass.

Advertisement