Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart Meter Rollout

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

alex_r wrote: »
    Yeah, they have an option of having multiple tariff plans(up to 8).

For the initial rollout of variable tariffs, the regulator has decided that there will be three rates: Day (08:00-23:00 excl peak), Night (23:00-08:00) and Peak (17:00-19:00).

The new tariffs will encourge people to set the immersion timer to heat the water before 8 a.m., not use the dishwasher or washing machine between 5 and 7 p.m. and avoid giving the immersion or storage heaters a boost between 5 and 7 p.m. The aim clearly is to flatten the demand curve which will result in more efficient power generation.

Anything you can defer like charging a car, you will do between 23:00 and 08:00. Which will be a new night rate for all consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭alex_r

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    because i charge my solar 7kw battery at night to use during the day during the winter.
    Hey, just wondering how much did you pay for your solar system?
    When I am checking prices around I see 10kW system costs around 15K. It's a cool system but hard to imagine when it's going to pay back the investment. I'd love to have one tho

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Was talking to a guy reckoned the reason behind the Smart Meter rollout was because there it going to be changes to the Tariff's from Supply companys with the new tarrifs including as below

Day Rate
    Night Rate
    Export Rate
    Peak Rate

Anyone else hear anything similiar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Was talking to a guy reckoned the reason behind the Smart Meter rollout was because there it going to be changes to the Tariff's from Supply companys with the new tarrifs including as below

Day Rate
    Night Rate
    Export Rate
    Peak Rate

Anyone else hear anything similiar?

See post #52.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

coylemj wrote: »
    See post #52.

Cheers for that; just playing devils advocate here.

What if you opt out to avoid this peak charge?

Any consequences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Just wondering if there's a publicly accessible schedule for the rollout of smart meters. I'm aware of the timescale to have all domestic properties switched over (2 years' time). But I wonder if there's a county by county schedule. A bloke I work with lives in a rural part of Co Sligo, and he got his installed a few weeks back. I live in a rural part of Mayo (on the Roscommon border), and I've heard no word yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭iioklo

A Smart Meter installer at a house I was working at was fitting a Sagemcom Siconia XS211 Smart Meter, he said that's what they are fitting now because the Kamstrump meters are not waterproof.

[url]https://www.vz.lt/apps/pbcsi.dll/storyimage/VZ/20211015/MARKETING/211019648/AR/0/AR-211019648.jpg&exactW=750&AlignV=top&imageversion=Horizontalus&lastupdate=1359[/url]

They're talking out of their ...

There are simply multiple suppliers involved as it's a huge rollout and they're not going to be stuck with a single supplier for something like that.

Siemens and Kamstrump just happened to do a lot more PR.

They're both rated IP 54 and can handle 95% relative humidity.

No ESB meter has ever been water proof. They're designed to be installed either indoors or in a cabinet and might be able to just about handle being accidentally splashed if the door were left open in the rain.

IP54 =

5: Protected against dust limited ingress, no harmful deposits.

4: Protected against water splashed from all directions, limited ingress permitted.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭thebourke

I got the smart meter installed last week.

is there an app you can download that shows the usage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Energia have a "Smart Meter Survey" for customers...

I think it's the old bait and switch trick where they are hoping that you type in "nothing" and then the next question is "Do you have a smart meter?" and then they pounce on you and install one on the poxyist price plan.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

From looking at my own load profile it is clear to me that moving to a “smart tariff” would cost me a lot more than the flat rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Yes. Just register at esbnetworks.ie and you will see all your usage reports (even if you are with another supplier like me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭MickH503

Would anybody have an Excel file that would do a nice analysis of the downloaded HDF files? 😊 And be kind enough to share?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭hawthorne

There is an article in the Indo today about a problem the ESB came across multiple times- the size of the meter. It seems to be too big for a number of places:

Over 42,000 forced to renovate homes to get an energy saving smart meter installed | Independent.ie

I have no smart meter yet. Can anybody measure his/her smart meter and post the dimensions (H-W-D) here? Many thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Meter itself is :

H 8.5 inch

W 5.5 inch

D 2.75 inch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Many thanks! If I get a model with the same size, I should have no problems.

Advertisement