Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Options
  • 12-06-2013 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

Konami has released an extended trailer for MGS V - this might just be the single most epic trailer I have ever seen for a video game :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The torture scenes disturb me greatly.
    I can watch any kind of gross medical procedure or accident and not flinch. But intentional harm always makes me kinda uncomfortable.

Especially women, I have no idea why. In games where at all possible I will knock out or avoid women enemies and plow straight through men.
    That scene with the wind up box got to me.

And if just the trailer can do that to me then I am really looking forward to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Kojima said he was going to try make the MGS games more gruesome and adult...and succeeded. That scene where they are removing the bomb...jesus.

Also interested by them showing the child soldiers, possibly the plot will fold in elements of how people and kids are dragged into wars they dont want to fight, and would they try dare have them in actual gameplay? Could imagine the red-top headlines condemning the game already. At least MGS isnt shying away from the notion that everyone who fights in wars isnt always A) aged 20-35 and B) doing it as a career option.

Also a fan theory
    The blonde kid is Liquid from MGS, in this time frame he is meant to be around 12 and not much is know of his early days before joining the SAS

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The torture scenes disturb me greatly.
    I can watch any kind of gross medical procedure or accident and not flinch. But intentional harm always makes me kinda uncomfortable.

Especially women, I have no idea why. In games where at all possible I will knock out or avoid women enemies and plow straight through men.
    That scene with the wind up box got to me.

And if just the trailer can do that to me then I am really looking forward to the game.
    I'm very certain that is the intention -- try to really drive into the player just how nasty and dirty warfare truly is.

I hope Kojima holds back on the silliness so at least some of the COD generation get turned off by war.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Also a fan theory
    The blonde kid is Liquid from MGS, in this time frame he is meant to be around 12 and not much is know of his early days before joining the SAS

But didn't Liquid fight in Gulf War 1 in '91, this game is set in '84. I thought the blond kid was a young Raiden, wasn't he a child soldier at 14 or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Also a fan theory

I was thinking he could possibly be Grey Fox since he was a child solider that Big Boss rescued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I already saw the shorter one, and tbh, I've rewatched it multiple times. I am very, very impressed. I'm not going to bother watching the extended one, and I'll try not to watch the other one... At least not much. I mean, I try to have a philosophy of if a game is already a guaranteed buy to me, why watch more of it? Just wait, play it and enjoy it that way. If this was a day one release with the consoles, I'd find it very hard to resiste jumping on to the next gen from day one. I have lots of gaming stuff from this gen to catch up on, but I think in that scenario I'd cave and just to back to what I didn't get to before next gen after MGS 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Grey fox was a teenager during portable ops so it cant be him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

What a terrible song.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Am I the only person that thinks this looks completely meh? the landscape of Red Dead meets the feerunning of Assassins Creed meets the hiding in the shadows of Splinter Cell meets the open world of Just Cause with some godawful song lyrics and horrible dialogue and political messages about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face (wouldnt be MGS without those :pac: ) graphics are fantastic though.

I think it looks amazing and hands down the best MGS yet. I was nearly gone after MGS4 but this has my interest and I'm excited for this title. It looks darker, grittier and more adult. You can see it's going to touch on a lot of controversial themes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Any chance of this coming to PC considering the hardware similarities between PCs and the new consoles?

I wonder would the Japanese version have subtitles. Kiefer Sutherland sounds so out of place!
    It looks great and I want to play it but I don't want to listen to jack bauer yapping away through a few hours of cut scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Just something to note, this was run on a PC, but they have said that the graphics will be very similar on consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Good to see MGS is retaining its reputation for military accuracy with the inclusion of the seldom acknowledged Tactical Bikini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

maximoose wrote: »
    What a terrible song.

I kind of like it, it's got that Snake Eater cheesiness to it but with more James Bond style bombast. Hope there's a mile long ladder to climb up with it playing in the background :D

Good to see MGS is retaining its reputation for military accuracy.

Speaking of which I am convinced I saw a Stryker ICV during the gameplay demo and this game is set in 1984, also one of the ARs Snake is holding in a screen shot shows with a picatinny rail with removable iron sights. Uh oh.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

MadYaker wrote:
    Any chance of this coming to PC considering the hardware similarities between PCs and the new consoles?

Kojima was asked that in an interview with gametrailers. He responded with.
    Of course we are developing on a PC, so we look forward to releasing something on the PC sometime, but right now we have no release date, we are not really looking to do that right now, that’s not a priority, so, we are making it and we hope to put it out [on PC] as well.

So that's a maybe, but if it is released on PC it will be after the console versions.

Incidentally, is everybody in this game in some way bockety? All peggy legs and hooky hands, is it?

It just... it conjures images of a certain scene in South Park, and the fact that my brain makes this association does not make me feel very good about myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Incidentally, is everybody in this game in some way bockety? All peggy legs and hooky hands, is it?

Probably. I imagine thats why its called "MGS V: The Phantom Pain", phantom pain being to the pain amputees (or people with birth defects) can feel in limbs they don't have.

Probably. I imagine thats why its called "MGS V: The Phantom Pain", phantom pain being to the pain amputees (or people with birth defects) can feel in limbs they don't have.

One or two amputees, sure, but gosh, there just seems to be an awful raft of unfortunates in this altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dev confirmed for PC but no release date yet.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Dev confirmed for PC but no release date yet.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

well it's on this list

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Heard a rumour of this a few months back but it is confirmed - Kojima is reducing cutscenes for mgs V!

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/e3-2013-metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-like-a-tv-series
    "I'm sure you're worried about if the cutscenes are as long as Metal Gear Solid 4," Kojima said during an E3 roundtable. "Since this time around we're using an open world environment," Metal Gear Solid V will have "less cutscenes [than before]." Because you'll be exploring, you'll have fewer opportunities to run into a cutscene that takes control away.

:D

I thought MGS5 looked very impressive but it's going to look better when released.
    Metal Gear Solid V on Xbox One and PS4 will look better than E3 trailer
    "Once we start going into development for next-generation we're definitely looking for something better than [what] we have shown today," concluded Kojima.

http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/metal-gear-solid-v-on-xbox-one-and-ps4-will-look-better-than-e3-trailer-6410187/

Wow:eek: Can't wait to see what these consoles can do in a few years time.
    Look at how PGR3 looked in 2005 on the 360, it was amazing at the time, then Forza 4 on the same system 6 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Very interested in this, I love the other games in the series and their utterly stupid, convoluted story. This game looks quite different to previous entries too.

Just in case people were wondering, Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are the one game: http://www.examiner.com/article/new-metal-gear-solid-5-details-ground-zeroes-phantom-pain-are-one-game

Kojima is looking for a studio to do a remake of the first MGS in the Fox Engine (same one as MGS V... This really isn't enough to justify opening a new thread, tbh. When there are new details it'll be worth starting a new thread on it): http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/06/25/kojima-seeking-studio-to-remake-metal-gear-solid-in-fox-engine

I think Kojima is trying to play down the sense of pretension he gets a lot of flack for with this one, but then he goes and has Himself labelled "Punished Snake". Bible references don't bode well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭nerd69

Wow a remake of the original mgs would be amazing

Advertisement