Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomb Raider (reboot)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I know it's a reboot, but is there any need to play the originals beforehand, apart from them being good? :) I picked them all up in various Amazon/gog/steam sales

Iv'e played all the Crystal Dynamics games but none of the Core Design ones. The three i have played were all pretty good with enough gameplay differences to warrant getting all three.
    As for the whole reboot issue, since Lara's just starting out, there seems no reason (not knowing the narrative) why it shouldn't fit into continuity before TR1/Anniversary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,873 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Core Design games have aged extremely badly and I know a lot of people don't want to hear it but after the first game they were never that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Core Design games have aged extremely badly and I know a lot of people don't want to hear it but after the first game they were never that good.

They have aged badly, the movement feels so stiff nowadays. I loved the second game though, I thought it was fun...in 1997. Ever so often I think I'd like to play the Core Design games again, but I don't think I ever will!

The Crystal Dynamics games are excellent and can be gotten super cheap, so play them! The Legend demo on 360 blew me away in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Picked up the HD collection last week, first TR games I've played since TR2... they've changed a bit...

Will probably pick this up after finishing Legend and Underworld, keep the TR buzz going!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember playing some of the first one years ago. Control using a D-Pad instead of analogue, trying to jump back or forward, only to jump sideways to your death. Fun times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just sow the review on GT.... so they ****ed it up so... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sounds like it has the same strengths and weaknesses as the Uncharted series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-conan-obrien-reviews-tomb-raider

And gametrailers gave pokemon black 2 a bad review, so I'm not trusting their judgement. I'm definitely picking this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Just sow the review on GT.... so they ****ed it up so... :rolleyes:

I dunno, they gave it a pretty good score after all the negative comments. Eurogamer did the same thing, it's like the score is just an arbitrary number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

miralize wrote: »

He's right about the Lara thing lol, i call her Laura too

Dont know if anyone has already posted, but it got a 9.1/10 from IGN
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/02/25/tomb-raider-review-2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭jones

Looks very similar to uncharted (or is uncharted very similar to tomb raider haha) might pick it up when its a bit cheaper i'm still battling through farcry atm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I remember playing some of the first one years ago. Control using a D-Pad instead of analogue, trying to jump back or forward, only to jump sideways to your death. Fun times.

In fairness though, the original Tomb Raide was out before Playstation got it's analogue sticks. I know it's aged badly, but I've still got a soft spot for it.

Mr. K wrote: »
    I dunno, they gave it a pretty good score after all the negative comments. Eurogamer did the same thing, it's like the score is just an arbitrary number.

That's what I was puzzled about too. The review had a very negative tone and then BANG 8+++. I was like: WTF?

Now I would be the first one to say to anty violence in video games Feckers to fudge themselfs, but I have to admit, in tomb raider game it was unneeded. From what I sow of the GT footage Lara is now a grand mother of the Gears of war main character, just without a suit. That really put me off a bit. And I LOVE a game with a good bit of violence.
    Those trailers and demos we sow were representing completely different game to what we got.

The more games I see released, the less I trust developers these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,164 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I like the sound of this, apart from the common complaint that too much time is spent cover-based shooting. Surely some developers out there has a more imaginative of 'filling' time than that or trust their other gameplay mechanics to stand on their own without excessive combat? It was a problem that really bogged down Uncharted 3 particularly. Worse, it tends to actively contradict the narrative and character building the games attempt. It's hard to convince Nathan Drake or Lara Croft are vincible, sympathetic everypeople when each adventure sees them committing minor one-person genocides.

I like the sound of this, apart from the common complaint that too much time is spent cover-based shooting. Surely some developers out there has a more imaginative of 'filling' time than that or trust their other gameplay mechanics to stand on their own without excessive combat? It was a problem that really bogged down Uncharted 3 particularly. Worse, it tends to actively contradict the narrative and character building the games attempt. It's hard to convince Nathan Drake or Lara Croft are vincible, sympathetic everypeople when each adventure sees them committing minor one-person genocides.

Thing is, Drake was marketed to us as a Bad boy, who likes to shoot stuff, rob stuff, say silly one liners and being sort of smart arse dick. And that is great, I love Drake as a character.
    Lara was marketed to us as a woman, which got in to very ****ed up situation and has to get out of it. The whole game was support to make us care about her and see how she builds her up from a scratch to be that strong woman. A legend as we know her.

Slapping boobs on drake and making her some sort of terminator who kills stuff in most violent way, just because she can is not what I wanted.
    I was watching retrospective on GT and the creator on Lara Corff wanted to make a strong modern woman, which people could look up to. He was very pissed off when Lara just became some sort of sex symbol. Looks like this time they got it wrong again.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I like the sound of this, apart from the common complaint that too much time is spent cover-based shooting. Surely some developers out there has a more imaginative of 'filling' time than that or trust their other gameplay mechanics to stand on their own without excessive combat?

I found the combat mechanics in previous Tomb Raider games to be lacking. The combat in this looks alot better.

What other mechanics would be better suited to being the primary gameplay mechanic?

Personally I'd take 3rd person shooting as the primary mechanic over puzzle solving and platforming any day of the weak.

Worse, it tends to actively contradict the narrative and character building the games attempt. It's hard to convince Nathan Drake or Lara Croft are vincible, sympathetic everypeople when each adventure sees them committing minor one-person genocides.

I don't think thats a major problem. Game sites lately keep bringing up the disconnect between gameplay and story like its a major issue on every gamers mind but for the most part, we simply don't think about it. We just accept the disconnect as one of those things about games. We for the most part judge the storyline separate to gameplay. Although I will accept in Tomb Raiders case its more of an issue because of the story set up.
    Slapping boobs on drake and making her some sort of terminator who kills stuff in most violent way, just because she can is not what I wanted.
    What did you want?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,164 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Azza wrote: »
    What other mechanics would be better suited to being the primary gameplay mechanic?

Personally I'd take 3rd person shooting as the primary mechanic over puzzle solving and platforming any day of the weak.

I have no objection to platforming or puzzle solving when they're cleverly implemented - we have enough games focused on pure combat that it makes the shooting mechanics in the likes of Tomb Raider or Uncharted seem bland and derivative. Other than that, I would have liked the game to be purely survival based and have combat situations if they're necessary built around tense, small-scale encounters (perhaps building on prototypess like I Am Alive). Force Lara to utilise the environment, and build the environment as both an ally and enemy. Perhaps be bolder like Silent Hill Shattered Memories and have large groups of opposing forces as an insurmountable obstacle, and emphasise escape or hiding over unconvincing one-on-twenty combat situations. Make exploration of environments vital and compelling rather than just as a hiding place for meaningless trinkets. Some of these things are supposedly in the game as is, but from what I've read - and again, I'm talking theoretically although based on emerging consensus - there are many times when they're ignored in favour of dull old cover shooting. Everything the developers claimed during this production led me to believe they'd be making a determined effort to step away from that familiar formula. Imagine, praytell, that Lara had actually gotten physically weaker through injuries and exhaustion as the game progressed and the developers had completely subverted the norm before providing the inevitable hard-won victories. As the gamecentral review argues, all that kind of stuff happens at the start, "but in truth the opening hour or so is by far the most interesting, as Lara’s character never really goes anywhere after that".

Oh, and in-depth tomb raiding mechanics would also be welcome ;)
    I don't think thats a major problem. Game sites lately keep bringing up the disconnect between gameplay and story like its a major issue on every gamers mind but for the most part, we simply don't think about it. We just accept the disconnect as one of those things about games. We for the most part judge the storyline separate to gameplay. Although I will accept in Tomb Raiders case its more of an issue because of the story set up.

As long as developers keep making it an issue, it is one I'm interested in. As long as Nathan Drake verbally expresses remorse over knocking out an innocent guard but will subsequently murder legions of enemies without a second thought it will remain an issue. Tomb Raider was heavily emphasised as a dark coming-of-age, intense survival saga that develops a once underdeveloped character - I'd find it hard to take that seriously when she stops to kill dozens of people at every other opportunity. If a game insists on including a heavy story focus, gameplay and consistent writing should never be disconnected.

I found the combat mechanics in previous Tomb Raider games to be lacking. The combat in this looks alot better.

What did you want?

Lara Croft... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sonmi_451

it looks really good , i might grab a copy next week :D

• Advertisement

Lara Croft...

If you mean the old character, you can have her. She's not interesting imo.

I don't see her copying Nathan Drake as much as perhaps you do. The game's storyline seems darker. She's not a wise cracking character like him. The whole exotic adventurer/explorer was her gig long before Nathan Drake showed up. The character of Lara in the reboot is getting good reviews, its the rest of the cast that falls flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

That's what I was puzzled about too. The review had a very negative tone and then BANG 8+++. I was like: WTF?

Now I would be the first one to say to anty violence in video games Feckers to fudge themselfs, but I have to admit, in tomb raider game it was unneeded. From what I sow of the GT footage Lara is now a grand mother of the Gears of war main character, just without a suit. That really put me off a bit. And I LOVE a game with a good bit of violence.
    Those trailers and demos we sow were representing completely different game to what we got.

The more games I see released, the less I trust developers these days.

I`m still looking forward to this but in my head I was more excited early on when this was announced when I thought Lara was more of a scavenger surviving the island rather than blowing everything up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

The character of Lara in the reboot is getting good reviews, its the rest of the cast that falls flat.

She's not actually. Most of them point out she seems to be a somewhat innocent girl who struggles to come to terms with having to kill for the first time and is deeply affected by it, then within 10 minutes she's running around sticking ice picks in guys heads without blinking an eye and does so for the remainder of the game.

There seems to be no correlation between the characters background, the narrative and the gameplay. I like the idea behind it and the angle they seem to have wanted to go with her but if the gameplay goes completely against this it would just remove all attachment to the character they have attempted to build.

Big Knox wrote: »
    She's not actually. Most of them point out she seems to be a somewhat innocent girl who struggles to come to terms with having to kill for the first time and is deeply affected by it, then within 10 minutes she's running around sticking ice picks in guys heads without blinking an eye and does so for the remainder of the game.

There seems to be no correlation between the characters background, the narrative and the gameplay. I like the idea behind it and the angle they seem to have wanted to go with her but if the gameplay goes completely against this it would just remove all attachment to the character they have attempted to build.

This. We were told Lara is going to be deeper and more interesting, then another mass murderer, who does not even blink, when she sticks sharp objects in to people eye sockets.

Previews over a year ago were boasting how the game would be focused on the survival and character building aspect. A game of consequences and difficult decisions in which actions have terrible emotional repercussions.

No matter how well the rest of the game plays, relegating all that to the first hour just sounds like such a dreadful cheat.

Previews over a year ago were boasting how the game would be focused on the survival and character building aspect. A game of consequences and difficult decisions in which actions have terrible emotional repercussions.

No matter how well the rest of the game plays, relegating all that to the first hour just sounds like such a dreadful cheat.

Dead island trailer 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Tbh the entire thing smacks of the devs trying way too hard to cater for and make absolutely everyone happy resulting in a messy outcome.

I have no doubt the game will still have its moments but it won't be the classic everyone was hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah Dead Island, brilliant trailer, brilliant game. Still had emotional parts finding grieving people, murdered families, etc. Don't think the next game will be as good but gonna get it anyway.

Anyway, here is Conan O'Brien reviewing Tomb Raider. Spiolers the first part of the game a bit but I had already seen that in most preview, review vids, worth it anyway for the laughs.

Big Knox wrote:

What reviews are you reading?

Eurogamer, IGN, Game Informer, Gamespot and Edge all said good things about the character.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,873 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Big Knox wrote: »

So it suffers from sociopathic Nathan Drake syndrome?

Advertisement