Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomb Raider (reboot)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The onld tomb raider games have not aged well at all unfortunately. I wouldn't go near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Anyone play the Tomb Raider trilogy on PS3? I remember playing non HD Anniversary ageas back but dropped it during the cistern level. I never played Underworld and looking at youtube vids, the hd anniversary looks really good. Would love to play the old games again but I know TR 1 and TR 2 would look/play awful now and I want to keep their memory in tact.

I never played the originals so decided to play through Anniversary HD before the reboot comes out.

It's not on PSN for some reason, but I found the trilogy in Gamestop for €18, new copy.

Anyway I started it the other night. Really enjoying it so far and looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anniversary (remake of TR 1) in HD looks really nice. I'm very tempted to pick up the trilogy if I see it out and about for cheap.

Retrospective vid makes me really want to play TR 2 again, pity there wasn't a remake of that one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Good video, not sure why they kept focusing on Lara's boob jiggle though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Is the reboot going to be more open-world ala Far Cry 3 or is it going down the Uncharted route? I'm actually hoping for the latter as I don't see how an open-world tomb raider could work.

My favourite in the series in Tomb Raider 2 so was also dissapointed they didn't do a remake of it. I did though recently play through Underworld and it was the closest they've got to the original feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Is the reboot going to be more open-world ala Far Cry 3 or is it going down the Uncharted route? I'm actually hoping for the latter as I don't see how an open-world tomb raider could work.

My favourite in the series in Tomb Raider 2 so was also dissapointed they didn't do a remake of it. I did though recently play through Underworld and it was the closest they've got to the original feel.

Seems that there will be an openworld map which you can explore as and when you like, ala Far Cry 3. Im expecting there to be cover mechanic fight sequences very much like Uncharted mixed into that. And I have also read that when you are doing some actual tomb raiding, there will be old school puzzles to solve in order to advance through the level. On paper it seems to me like a dream scenario for a TR game, but who knows how all these elements will work together in practice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't see it being as open world as Farcry 3. If anything I'd say it might be more along the lines of Dark Souls. I'd prefer that though. It will have the tight level design of a more linear game with some amount of exploration and back tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't see it being as open world as Farcry 3. If anything I'd say it might be more along the lines of Dark Souls. I'd prefer that though. It will have the tight level design of a more linear game with some amount of exploration and back tracking.

I say it to anyone who will listen; Dark Souls has the best realised game world I've ever seen. The design is so far ahead of what other devs have released some should be blushing.

Also, the older games in the TR series have aged terribly, and it's not even the graphics that did it. It's those feckin blocks!

As for Underworld/Anniversary/Legend. I enjoyed them, but they came at a time when Nathan Drake was about, and TR series suffered as a result imo.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

As long as we can still zoom in on Lara's bum, I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Anniversary (remake of TR 1) in HD looks really nice. I'm very tempted to pick up the trilogy if I see it out and about for cheap.

Do, they're really good games and I'd say you'll find it quite cheap.
    As for Underworld/Anniversary/Legend. I enjoyed them, but they came at a time when Nathan Drake was about, and TR series suffered as a result imo.

Big time. I have no doubt that this reboot is a response to the Uncharted series. I'm glad they're differentiating it by emphasizing exploration, Lara needs her own niche (even if the main thrust of the gameplay is very similar to Uncharted).

In any case, I'm really excited about this game. I hope it does well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Retrospective vid makes me really want to play TR 2 again, pity there wasn't a remake of that one as well.

Jesus. Did that video get a single thing right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

As long as we can still zoom in on Lara's bum, I'm happy.
    Ah the eternal rotating of the camera when I were a lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Had a couple of hours on the finished (or as good as finished) game today. It's fantastic. They've added in a lot more on the story front to the version I played last year and it's actually a lot better for it. Definitely going to be massive and deservedly so

COYVB wrote: »
    Had a couple of hours on the finished (or as good as finished) game today. It's fantastic. They've added in a lot more on the story front to the version I played last year and it's actually a lot better for it. Definitely going to be massive and deservedly so

Yeah, I saw review copies floating around, can't wait for some reviews on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Only a week from release, I'm actually pretty stoked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Cannot wait for this im exoecting it to be very short but i dont care this looks amazing
    Be carefull lookiing at other sites about this game as its now leaked online and some people love to spoil things in the comments being the ba$tards that they are

Gametrailers are doing another awsome retrospective series on the franchise part 3 is next week
    http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/1fqjx1/gt-retrospectives-tomb-raider-retrospective--part-one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Damn, the amount of good looking games at the moment is phenomenal, but unfortunately I can afford fecking none of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

First tomb raider review from Gamesmaster
    Tomb Raider has received its first review, courtesy of this month’s issue of GamesMaster.

Crystal Dynamics’ latest earned a 90% score. The magazine had high praise for Tomb Raider’s visuals – the title was given a 95% rating in the category.

Players can look forward to 10-15 hours for the main story, though GamesMaster notes that it’ll take 20 to fully explore the island.

The magazine also enjoyed the “vivid” hubs and final third of the game “with its spectacular bombast”. GamesMaster wished Tomb Raider included more side tombs, but the ones present in the game are a joy to discover. For those wondering: there aren’t many quick time events.

GamesMaster sums up:

“Sitting back exhausted we were left with just one question dribbling forth from our gaping jaws. How on earth are they going to top this in the sequel? Because of one thing there can be no doubt. Lara is back.”

Look out for a whole slew of Tomb Raider reviews early next week. Square Enix will be ending the game’s embargo on Monday – over a week before the game launches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

cloud493 wrote: »
    First tomb raider review from Gamesmaster
    Look out for a whole slew of Tomb Raider reviews early next week. Square Enix will be ending the game’s embargo on Monday – over a week before the game launches.

Sure sign they know their game is amazing! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Pre-ordered it today for PC.

Gamestop had the standard edition for €28 euro which is pretty good.

Only question is should I play it at launch or wait for the bikini mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Pre-ordered it during the week banking on it being a 2 games trade & €10 deal in Gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Reviews are coming out...

Polygon
    Destructoid
    Eurogamer
    IGN
    Gamespot

Edited to add a couple more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Better hurry up and finish Legend so...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Seems to be a solid 80-85% rated game, multiplayer is superfluous, and the game looks to be 10-12 hours long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

roll on tuesday week, oh yeah...

gaming_tomb_raider_collectors_edition.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Reviews seem very positive, will probably get it in time, have a few games to play at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know it's a reboot, but is there any need to play the originals beforehand, apart from them being good? :) I picked them all up in various Amazon/gog/steam sales

Advertisement