Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

He's a intelligent man with good insight into the game and good ideas but too often he's trying to be the Dunphy of GAA punditry, is all about the Joe Show. Im guessing his insight into the whole player revolt/H & C comes form his personal life circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

He's a intelligent man with good insight into the game and good ideas but too often he's trying to be the Dunphy of GAA punditry, is all about the Joe Show. Im guessing his insight into the whole player revolt/H & C comes form his personal life circumstances?

I would imagine his extra marital arrangement with a female member of back room team from the ill fated H&C era would be the main reason for his personalised attacks on a number of Mayo players.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Blackjack wrote: »
    I would imagine his extra marital arrangement with a female member of back room team from the I’ll fated H&C era would be the main reason for his personalised attacks on a number of Mayo players.

Yeah and as a barrister, you'd think he'd have the cop on to realize that people are putting 2 and 2 together and coming to their own conclusions on that score. It's hardly a well kept secret at this stage.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yeah and as a barrister, you'd think he'd have the cop on to realize that people are putting 2 and 2 together and coming to their own conclusions on that score. It's hardly a well kept secret at this stage.

You'd be surprised at the number of people that don't know. And people who you would expect to be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

You'd be surprised at the number of people that don't know. And people who you would expect to be aware.

I only found out yesterday tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I think there are a lot of people who would have a healthy disregard for tittle tattle about the personal lives of players, pundits, managers etc etc & would pay it little mind. However, this is clearly having a direct impact on his output as a journalist, so I wouldn't have an ounce of pity for him if it was splashed all across the Sunday World.

Lord knows he's not shy about constantly putting stuff out there that paints himself in a good light, or reinforces his "true Gaelness". The not so salubrious stuff might open up a few eyes & provide some much needed context. Especially in relation to his articles on Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Never heard anything about this :o

I think there are a lot of people who would have a healthy disregard for tittle tattle about the personal lives of players, pundits, managers etc etc & would pay it little mind. However, this is clearly having a direct impact on his output as a journalist, so I wouldn't have an ounce of pity for him if it was splashed all across the Sunday World.

Lord knows he's not shy about constantly putting stuff out there that paints himself in a good light, or reinforces his "true Gaelness". The not so salubrious stuff might open up a few eyes & provide some much needed context. Especially in relation to his articles on Mayo.

I agree with everthing you say except the bit in Bold. He's never been that, despite him thinking that he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

That's a shocking degradation of journalists the world over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

mayo.mick wrote: »
    That's a shocking degradation of journalists the world over.

This is the Sunday world we are talking about, for years they only had 3 journalists, Amanda bunker, Paul Williams and William Shakespeare'a reincarnation.... Roy Curtis :rolleyes:

I think Joe brolly is a step up in class to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

One issue I would have with just ignoring it, is that if say david brady for example, made exactly the same statements, people would be mocking the lack of factual accuracy. I dont get why brolly gets a pass there. In truth he shouldnt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

One issue I would have with just ignoring it, is that if say david brady for example, made exactly the same statements, people would be mocking the lack of factual accuracy. I dont get why brolly gets a pass there. In truth he shouldnt.
    Sure Brolly is a Barrister and for some reason the opinion of a Barrister on Football is considered more important than a Barrista .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

blinding wrote: »
    Sure Brolly is a Barrister and for some reason the opinion of a Barrister on Football is considered more important than a Barrista .

Maybe not more important, but a lot more expensive for a journalist and his newspaper if they get it wrong.
    Regardless of Brolly`s journalism from what I have been told by a number of people he is a sharp cookie when it comes to his legal profession.
    It would be either a very brave/foolhardy editor that would print on the back of rumours or hearsay if they didn`t have very solid proof.

Kilmaine absolutely romped to the Junior title!

Neale getting a lesson from Oughterard. Senior will be very, very tough for them next year. They can't handle Matthew Tierney at all, not near enough of a balanced 15

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Great win for Tooreen.

Connacht Intermediate Champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

seligehgit wrote: »
    Great win for Tooreen.

Connacht Intermediate Champions.

Fair dues to them. A great result and a great scoreline.

That Kinvara team they beat today are no soft touch.
    Hitting 21 points and winning by 5 is some achievement.
    From what I hear the two Boland`s were outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Been a great few years for Tooreen, and they look to be even improving

Even gave a fine Oranmore side a very good game last year, and in that match almost everything that could go wrong did go wrong for them.

They would be well able to cut it in the Senior B championship in Galway

They were well beaten in the All Ireland semi two years ago, but should be much better equipped this time out. Fr O'Neills from Cork are their likely opponents. I know little about them but there aren't any marquee names there. That said the Cork side are generally very strong at intermediate level.

Would be great for Mayo hurling to get a day out in Croke Park in late January. You'd have to be a real sadist altogether to begrudge Tommy Walsh one last All Ireland medal though :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Michael Gallagher going to court next w to reinstate him for PRO role. Sounds like the county board don't like change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

irishgeo wrote: »
    Michael Gallagher going to court next w to reinstate him for PRO role. Sounds like the county board don't like change.

Whether you like the rules or not, the rules have to be upheld. Seems to be very clear cut that he wasn't a member when he needed to be.

Personally don't think he has a leg to stand on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

The Ballaghaderreen Chairman said in the Mayo News today, that the damage done to Mayo GAA's Name could potentially harm their fund-raising capacity abroad in the future. I totally agree with him. Unless their is a big change in the Officers of Mayo County Board, we may not be able to get funding from abroad next year. For the Mayo Team to be successful next year they need more funding not less. Money has brought success to Limerick Hurlers last year, Tipperary Hurlers this year and A.I.G. has pumped a lot of money into Dublin's success story. I sincerely hope that Michael Gallagher is elected PRO at the next Mayo GAA Convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

The Ballaghaderreen Chairman said in the Mayo News today, that the damage done to Mayo GAA's Name could potentially harm their fund-raising capacity abroad in the future. I totally agree with him. Unless their is a big change in the Officers of Mayo County Board, we may not be able to get funding from abroad next year. For the Mayo Team to be successful next year they need more funding not less. Money has brought success to Limerick Hurlers last year, Tipperary Hurlers this year and A.I.G. has pumped a lot of money into Dublin's success story. I sincerely hope that Michael Gallagher is elected PRO at the next Mayo GAA Convention.

You must be very tired after only having three hours sleep over the last two nights...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

I think the chairman position is a lot more important than who gets the PRO job.
    Michael Gallagher always struck me as a bit wishy washy as a journalist tbh - not sure he'll be a man to implement change, and even if he is, is it possible to do so as PRO?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Whether you like the rules or not, the rules have to be upheld. Seems to be very clear cut that he wasn't a member when he needed to be.

Couldn't agree more.

It seems preposterous that a potential candidate for the position of PRO of the county board wasn't even a club member at the necessary time.

Rules are rules.IMO he hasn't a leg to stand on.

He is saying the rules have been broken before and is hinting that members of the current board might have broken the rules.

spakman wrote: »
    I think the chairman position is a lot more important than who gets the PRO job.
    Michael Gallagher always struck me as a bit wishy washy as a journalist tbh - not sure he'll be a man to implement change, and even if he is, is it possible to do so as PRO?

I think he is kinda milking the current situation a bit, for his own ends. What is there to suggest that he is going to be any better than the current crop that are in there? Going in hard on them now is like shooting fish in a barrel, ahat is he actually going to do? A question Id rather was asked is why wasn't he a member of his club? Surely if he was serious about doing the role, he would have had all this checked from a long way out? It all seems a but opportunistic to me. Even if he actually is this white in shining armour effort, that he portrayed himself as on national radio, what can he actually do while in that role?

If he is suggesting that the rules were bent for the current regime, then surely bending them again will only bring more of the same? My solution would be leave him removed, and then remove anyone else who broke the rules. That would be a proper start to bringing about change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

On the PRO position, certain county board members haven't covered themselves in glory there. They quoted one rule to Michael Gallagher initially and then went back at a later date and told him that actually they meant he couldn't apply because of a different rule. They don't know themselves what rules they're on about.

The whole thing is a **** show.

PressRun wrote: »
    On the PRO position, certain county board members haven't covered themselves in glory there. They quoted one rule to Michael Gallagher initially and then went back at a later date and told him that actually they meant he couldn't apply because of a different rule. They don't know themselves what rules they're on about.

The whole thing is a **** show.

Possibly. It could also be that the guy telling him the first time just quoted the wrong rule also though... Im not trying to defend them, but quoting two different rules in two different conversations isnt that big a deal either is it? The second rule was applicable after all. It is important to keep a balanced view of the goings on here, in both directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Possibly. It could also be that the guy telling him the first time just quoted the wrong rule also though... Im not trying to defend them, but quoting two different rules in two different conversations isnt that big a deal either is it? The second rule was applicable after all. It is important to keep a balanced view of the goings on here, in both directions.

I don't really care who ends up in the PRO position, but defending members of that county board is not a hill I'm willing to die on and I wouldn't put anything past them.
    There's loads of other stuff simmering beneath the surface of this fiasco that is going on for years now and involves a certain few clubs too (anyone aware of the rivalries might be privy to this). It's going on long before Holmes & Connelly, although that is certainly playing a part in all of it too.

For what it's worth, I think Michael Gallagher is mad to get involved. Not because he couldn't do the job or whatever, but because there's some very murky business going on here.

• Advertisement

noses are well out of joint in one north mayo club over promises made about ground redevelopment and the sudden lack of league games they were promised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement