Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childfree chit chat

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We got a puppy 3/4 months ago. Holy shiit it confirmed my decision not to have kids! I adore her, but the constant demands are exhausting. She wakes up every morning at 7 on the dot and barks until we get up, so no more lie ins for us at weekends. She has to be fed and entertained constantly or she'll start eating things she shouldn't or digging up the garden, we put into her crate for enforced naps several times a day, she destroys the house if left unattended for too long (RIP skirting boards), we can't go out freely any more because we have to plan around her, the place is covered in mud, sand, slobber and toys... I'm only surviving because I know it'll all settle down a lot soon!

In all seriousness, it has also highlighted how stressful I find all of these things and I really believe I've made the best decision for my own mental health and wellbeing in deciding not to have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Have just spent two nights in my brother's holiday home with my SIL and two youngest niblings. I honestly don't know how she's not in the nut-house. They fight her on *everything*. Constant battles of wits/whinging/time-outs. Youngest skinned his elbow earlier and you'd swear he needed an amputation the way he was going on. But only in front of her. Any time she left the room he was completely sanguine. Then would start up with the fakest fake cry I have ever heard in my life as soon as she came back in. I genuinely can't understand how parents are fooled by that kind of carry-on.

Advertisement