Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knowledge is Power

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

1) Brawn - Stuart McRobert

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

2) You can run but you can't hide - Dog The Bounty Hunter (Duane Chapman).

The autobio of the man himself. Interesting read as I've seen a good few episodes of his show over recent months. He is some dude for popping out the kids!
    He has 12!
    Bits of it are pretty sad too.

3) Survival of the Fittest - Mike Stroud.

Really enjoyed this --> tales of human physical achievements and endurance, along with theories of evolution behind why we are the way we are.... and why we can handle lots of stuff which we don't actually realise based upon our evolution.

4) Quirkology - Robert Wiseman

5) Australian Explorers - Robert Coupe

Australian Explorers covers the exploits of Australia’s most memorable land and sea explorers. After an introduction to set the scene, each chapter focuses on the achievements of individual explorers, relating the triumphs, defeats and hardships of their pioneering adventures.

Exactly what I was looking for. 10/10.

• Advertisement

6) Somewhere a Band is Playing - Ray Bradbury

7) Leviathan '99 - Ray Bradbury

8) Australians at War: Word War 1 - Robert Hillman

9) Great Australian Stories: Gallipoli - Robert Hillman

10) Hitting Home: The Japanese Attack on Sydney 1942 - David Jenkins

• Advertisement

11) Down Under - Bill Bryson

2014 - 1) Quirkology - Robert Wiseman

I'm resurrecting this reading log after a good 3.5 years break. Aim is to read a book per week again this year. I'll update this with what I've read since the start of 2014 and then hopefully continue updating regularly. Have read a lot in the past 6 months or so. Seem to be hitting a lot of bio's/auto-bios.

I've actually read "Quirkology" above back in 2010. Re-read it whilst waiting for another decent find in the library.

2014 - 2) Steve Jobs - Walter Isaacson

Very informative. Jobs dosen't come across as the most likeable character. Inspiration nonetheless.

2014 - 3) Pele - The auto-biography by Pele.

He comes across as pretty naieve in the first 3/4s of the book. Placed way too much trust in random people for his business dealings. The last chapter was painful. Full of self promo and he wonders why Brazil dosen't have a museum dedicated to him. He compares himself to Martin Luther King (plus someone else - who slips my mind) who in the USA have his own museums. Yeah... but they are dead dude.

2014 - 4) It's not about the bike - Lance Armstrong

Interesting for informational purposes on his life and early career / battle with cancer. A number of times he outlines his stance AGAINST drugs in cycling... how it's a problem, etc. Lol.

2014 - 5) Cristiano Ronaldo: The True Story of the Greatest Footballer on Earth - Tom Oldfield

This book reads as if the author, Tom Oldfield, never met Ronaldo and wrote the book purely by referencing wikipedia and the match reviews of every match Ronaldo played. Very boring. No real insight into what Ronaldo himself thinks or feels. You feel very removed from the main man when reading this. Surpised that there aren't more scathing reviews online.

The author was probably thinking: "hmmmm, what can I write about that is popular that people will buy, which requires little to no research on my behalf?"

2014 - 6) Iggy Pop: Open Up & Bleed - Paul Trynka

Interesting. Didn't know much about him. Filled in some holes in my musical knowledge.

2014 - 7) Hunter S.Thompson: Bio - Jay Cown

As per the Iggy Pop, interesting & filled in some gaps in my knowledge.

2014 - 8) Time Management - Brian Tracy

Some good tips in here.

2014 - 9) The Monk & The Hangmans Daughter - Ambrose Bierce.

Nice little folk tale of ~100 pages with a twist at the end.

• Advertisement

2014 - 10) Ray Bradbury stories. Vol. 2 - Ray Bradbury.

Read about 10 of the 100 in this so I'm claiming it.

2014 - 11) The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins.

.. so I can know what all the cool kids do.

2014 - 12) No less than victory: a novel of World War II - Jeff Shaara.

As per the title, a novel set around WW2 in Europe. This is the 3rd book in a trilogy. Enjoyed it.

2014 - 13) The final storm: a novel of the war in the Pacific - Jeff Shaara.

As per the title, a novel set around WW2 in the Pacific. Focuses predominantly on the allied taking of Okinawa. Some good facts in here even though the characters themselves are mainly fictious.

2019 - 1) Einstein: His Life & Universe - Walter Isaacson

The third book by Isaacson I've read. Others included Steve Jobs and Innovators. Quite enjoy his style. This Einstein book was a bit tougher going than the other two given the subject matter.

2019 - 2) Awaken The Giant Within - Anthony Robbins.

First book I've read by Tony Robbins. Interesting that he wrote this at age 31 back in 1991. Some good seemingly obvious stuff in the book. Quite motivating.

2019 - 3) Naked - David Sedaris.

Never heard of this author before. Quite enjoyed the collection of short witty biographical stories. Will seek out more from him going forwards.

2019 - 4) Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami.

I've previously read at least one (Dance, Dance, Dance) if not two of Murakami's books. Enjoyed his style and didn't get around to reading him again until stumbling across this book.

First 100 pages quite enjoyable. Very descriptive and insightful observations. The middle from 101-200 (first visit to sanitarium) or so dragged before picking up somewhat towards the end. On the whole enjoyed it.

2019 - 5) Manhattan 62 - Reggie Nandelson.

Picked this book up at random (as some light reading versus my main focus of Alexander Hamilton bio which is good but tougher going).

Set in Manhattan 1962 during Cuban Missile Crisis - a crime cop story.

Got me checking up various historical facts. The characters and plot were average enough. Appreciated the super quick story though. In one line the characters would be sitting on the sofa, whilst in the next one would be pressing accelerator as they tear down the road.

Different... but not my typical cup of tea. Wouldn't bother with this type of book again unless really stuck.

• Advertisement

2019 - 6) On The Map - Simon Garfield.

A witty writing on all things cartographic. Takes in both historical and present day technologies. Pretty sure I read this sometime in the past 7 or 8 years. Enjoyed the re-read.

Advertisement