Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knowledge is Power

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

2019 - 7) Alexander Hamilton - Ron Chernow.

Good account of the life and times of Alexander Hamilton. His early life in the Caribbean was quite interesting. The book slowed somewhat around his involvement in the Revolutionary war. After the war it got tedious. Too much info. Potentially would have enjoyed a more quicker read of 25% the size. Nonetheless I gained some insights in him and his times. That took a few months to read in among other shorter/lighter books.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

2019 - 8) The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life - Alice Schroeder.

A simple man with a complicated life. Loves compounding. Quite an enjoyable read from both a business and personal perspective.

2019 - 9) Fing - David Walliams.

A quick light hearted read. Purely read this to offset some of the more dense bios I've read in recent months.

Didn't realise until after finishing the book and researching the author that Walliams is actually the taller skinner guy from Little Britain.

2019 - 10) Bad Dad - David Walliams.

Another quick & easy comical read.

2019 - 11) 5th Set for Powerlifting: Methodology for training and competition - Cory Swede Burns.

Another easy read. Could have been formatted to be a bit more readable, particularly in the templates towards the end. Didn't enjoy it as much as the likes of 531.

• Advertisement

2019 - 12) Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup - John Carreyrou.

A quick & fast paced read charting the rise and fall of Theranos. Leaves you feeling dumb and exhilarated at the same time.

2019 - 13) Unshakeable - Tony Robbins.

A Finance book that was way more concise and readable than others from the author (e.g. "Awaken the Giant Within").

Read it in less than 24 hours. The first 170 pages are the juicy content, the final 30 or so are filler advertising his business interests.

2019 - 14) Goodnight stories for Rebel Girls - Elena Favilli & Francesca Cavallo

100 quick & easy to read portraits of successful females.

2019 - 15) Goodnight stories for Rebel Girls #2 - Elena Favilli & Francesca Cavallo

Similar to the last entry. Another 100 profiles.

2019 - 16) How to get rich - Dennis Felix

A self made millionaire gives tips on how be went from working class, no formal education, to filthy rich.... and now has much time to write poetry and indulge in the finer things in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

BossArky wrote: »
    I try to average a book a week. If Don Quixote takes 3 weeks then I'll try and squeeze 3 other books into the last week of the month. It dosen't always work out but I use it as a general goal.

Yes, some of those stories in "The Man Who Mistook, etc..." are bizarre. It reminds you how fragile our brains really are.

How much time per day do you set aside for reading? I always find my concentration lacking and I get distracted. I currently have 6 books in progress... I need to be more disciplined!

How much time per day do you set aside for reading? I always find my concentration lacking and I get distracted. I currently have 6 books in progress... I need to be more disciplined!

It varies but I usually try to squeeze in 10-15 mins of so for multiple chunks throughout the day. Depending on how free/busy I am this could range from 15 mins per day to an hour or two. Usually try and start and end the day reading for a few mins at least.

2019 - 17) Prelude to Foundation - Isaac Asimov

Got through this one quickly. Fast moving, easy to read. Enjoyable. Had vaguely heard of this series before but never got around to reading it.

This is the first of seven books in the series (if you take the fictional chronological timeline). In reality it was the 6th of 7 books he wrote in the series.

Initially Asimov wrote the trilogy, then two sequels... then two prequels... or which the above is the first prequel.

2019 - 18) Forward the Foundation - Isaac Asimov

Book 2 of 7. Quick enough read of 432 pages.

2019 - 19) Foundation & Empire - Isaac Asimov.

Enjoyed this one the least of the series thus far. The fact that the timeline moves so rapidly has your head spinning as characters come and go quite quickly.

2019 - 20) Dark Matter - Blake Crouch.

An eerie read which had me looking over my shoulder wondering if other versions of myself were in the house.

2019 - 21) What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - Haruki Murakami.

Half travel log, half fitness log. Enjoyable.

2019 - 22) Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K Dick.

This is the novel upon which the Bladerunner movie is based. It has been so long since I saw that that I couldn't pick up too many connections between the two. The struggle between androids to blend in with humanity is well written. Found the fake animals quite funny.

Previously have read The Man In The High Castle by the same author years ago (10+?).

2019 - 23) South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami.

Hauntingly touching.

2019 - 24) Second Foundation - Isaac Asimov.

Found it a bit tedious to be honest. This is the fifth book if you are reading them in chronological order, or third in the original trilogy. Much preferred his style of writing in the prequels.

• Advertisement

2019 - 25) Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - Haruki Murakami.

My patience with fiction must be wearing thin. I really didn't get this book.

There are two stories - one told in the odd chapters, the other in the even chapters. I skim read the bulk of it and couldn't get into it at all. Dissappointing as I've enjoyed the other recent Murakami.

I do remember having a similar reaction to Dance, Dance, Dance well over a decade ago. I like Murakami's writings on human observations, but not so much the magic realism/fantasy.

2019 - 26) Collected Short Stories Volume 3 - Somerset Maugham.

Haven't read his stuff for a couple of decades. Enjoyed getting back into it. Stiff upper lip, tales from the colonies, etc. 70 years after being printed the writing holds up well.

2019 - 27) Up at the Villa - Somerset Maugham.

Enjoyed this. A murder story set in refined society.

Didn't realize until writing this entry that it was also made into a film.

2019 - 28) Far Eastern Tales - Somerset Maugham.

More short stories set in the ... Far East.

2019 - 29) The Life & Times of Charles Manson - Jeff Guinn.

This book was intriguing. He maintained serious mind control over gullible young followers.

2019 - 30) Coming Up for Air - George Orwell.

A satisfying witty read.

2019 - 31) After Dark - Haruki Murakami

Not sure what that was. Feel like it meandered on without making a point or reaching a conclusion. Disliking his magic realisim.

2019 - 32) Sputnik Sweetheart - Haruki Murakami.

Quite nice.

2019 - 33) Millionaire Expat - Andrew Hallam.

Written in a dad joke style this wasn't my cup of tea. Written more for the financially illiterate. Nothing new I hadn't seen elsewhere in more concise readable format.

• Advertisement

2019 - 34) Keep the aspididstra flying - George Orwell.

Enjoying his style of writing. A story about one mans struggle with money.

Advertisement