Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Strike is over. What happens now?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Jjameson wrote: »
    It does and it clarifies why the strike was a problem to you in practical terms to a point. Essentially grass fed beef steer beef @€;3.45 a kg base is ridiculous whether you perceive You’d a turn out of it or not.

However the prolonged nature of it was a problem for me too. Young kids , farming work building up, some other more serious problems and the point is that if we stood down there was definitely no hope of getting anything out of it. It went on weeks longer than it should because it wasn’t a full blockade from the start.
    2 weeks of stopping cattle didn’t apply pressure to anyone only farmers and the farmers on the line. One day of stopping the fridges and the factory management were tearing their hair out.

I wouldn’t go back again if it’s not a widely supported full blockade.

Look i'm not happy with the price of beef, not by a long shot let me tell you. It's a total joke

But i was against the blockade at the time because i thought it would only be farmers that were hit by it, the timing was wrong, i didn't agree with stopping cattle being killed, the lack of a plan for what the blockade wanted to achieve etc etc

there are a million reasons that i didn't agree with it at the time, and nothing in the meantime has lead me to believe that i was wrong to disagree. If anything it just reinforces my thoughts from the time that it was the wrong action to do.

But please don't misjudge my lack of support for Beef Plan (and all the other clowns) as being happy with the price of beef, because i most certainly am not

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Panch18 wrote: »
    Look i'm not happy with the price of beef, not by a long shot let me tell you. It's a total joke

But i was against the blockade at the time because i thought it would only be farmers that were hit by it, the timing was wrong, i didn't agree with stopping cattle being killed, the lack of a plan for what the blockade wanted to achieve etc etc

there are a million reasons that i didn't agree with it at the time, and nothing in the meantime has lead me to believe that i was wrong to disagree. If anything it just reinforces my thoughts from the time that it was the wrong action to do.

But please don't misjudge my lack of support for Beef Plan (and all the other clowns) as being happy with the price of beef, because i most certainly am not

Factories have never raised prices in the face of a protest, I wouldn't be surprised if the pressure over thae last few weeks is helping to keep down prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

It does and it clarifies why the strike was a problem to you in practical terms to a point. Essentially grass fed beef steer beef @€;3.45 a kg base is ridiculous whether you perceive You’d a turn out of it or not.

However the prolonged nature of it was a problem for me too. Young kids , farming work building up, some other more serious problems and the point is that if we stood down there was definitely no hope of getting anything out of it. It went on weeks longer than it should because it wasn’t a full blockade from the start.
    2 weeks of stopping cattle didn’t apply pressure to anyone only farmers and the farmers on the line. One day of stopping the fridges and the factory management were tearing their hair out.

I wouldn’t go back again if it’s not a widely supported full blockade.
    How can you be smart around the ring when others bid on regardless.?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'Motion of no confidence in Hugh Doyle and Eamon Corley passed at the National Committee.'

Are the Lunatics taking over the Asylum?

https://twitter.com/hqmulligan/status/1221488798485372930

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

'Motion of no confidence in Hugh Doyle and Eamon Corley passed at the National Committee.'

Are the Lunatics taking over the Asylum?

https://twitter.com/hqmulligan/status/1221488798485372930
    I'm not a member of the Beef Plan but what went wrong. When they started they filled a void for farmers who felt disenfranchised by the other farming organisations - I get that. They had plenty of farmers attending the countrywide meetings in Winter 2018/2019. Reading on social media it seems that there has been in melt down for some time.
    The offshoot groups - Independent Farmers, Individual Farmers et al haven't helped their cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    I'm not a member of the Beef Plan but what went wrong. When they started they filled a void for farmers who felt disenfranchised by the other farming organisations - I get that. They had plenty of farmers attending the countrywide meetings in Winter 2018/2019. Reading on social media it seems that there has been in melt down for some time.
    The offshoot groups - Independent Farmers, Individual Farmers et al haven't helped their cause.

Something going on with hugh doyle and eamonn corley as they did a sudden u turn on certain policies and wanted certain candidates taken out of the national elections.

From the outside looking in, it looks like maybe a few brown envelopes were thrown about or something to that fact. All guesswork on my part tho. Trying to read between the lines

Reggie. wrote: »
    Something going on with hugh doyle and eamonn corley as they did a sudden u turn on certain policies and wanted certain candidates taken out of the national elections.

From the outside looking in, it looks like maybe a few brown envelopes were thrown about or something to that fact. All guesswork on my part tho. Trying to read between the lines

Yea, someone posted Beef Plan Facebook tonight tha larry 'paid' certain people to stir it up...... you couldn't make it up really.
    Meanwhile our local Beef Plan Rep here is making it up as he goes along

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So, according to two posters here, each side might have been paid by Larry?
    Easy to throw asachans (slurs).

However not the first time of such allegations in Irish agriculture. Many would have doubts about similar actions in the whole sugar beet closing fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Dont think this mess has anything to with bribes or brown envelopes, just people in over there head.
    It shows how hard it is to run a national organisation. Its easy talk at meetings much more diffcult to kerp things running smoothly. Its the end of the beef plan as a credible organisation.

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea, someone posted Beef Plan Facebook tonight tha larry 'paid' certain people to stir it up...... you couldn't make it up really.
    Meanwhile our local Beef Plan Rep here is making it up as he goes along
    So Larry and the factories stopping the EIF levy for the IFA was ok considering that the majority of farmers didn't have a clue what is was for nor at the time of it's instigation were they given the option to opt out easily of it over the years without having to physically write a letter to their local factory giving their herd number etc :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Water John wrote: »
    So, according to two posters here, each side might have been paid by Larry?
    Easy to throw asachans (slurs).

However not the first time of such allegations in Irish agriculture. Many would have doubts about similar actions in the whole sugar beet closing fiasco.
    I'm not throwing slurs just trying the read through the lines of what's being put out there

So Larry and the factories stopping the EIF levy for the IFA was ok considering that the majority of farmers didn't have a clue what is was for nor at the time of it's instigation were they given the option to opt out easily of it over the years without having to physically write a letter to their local factory giving their herd number etc :(

I've told plenty farmers what to do with their levy when they complained,
    Around here local factory agents block the levy as a matter of form.
    As far as I'm concerned I didn't mislead anyone, I wised up complaining farmers fairly quick, If farmers don't go to meetings or read IFJ or make any effort to keep abreast of developments I can't help it so no sympathy.
    Only a couple weeks ago a poster here missed something important and I just thought IFJ had that well flagged. you can only do so much

Leading a horse to water but can't make him drink come to mind

I've told plenty farmers what to do with their levy when they complained,
    Around here local factory agents block the levy as a matter of form.
    As far as I'm concerned I didn't mislead anyone, I wised up complaining farmers fairly quick, If farmers don't go to meetings or read IFJ or make any effort to keep abreast of developments I can't help it so no sympathy.
    Only a couple weeks ago a poster here missed something important and I just thought IFJ had that well flagged. you can only do so much

Leading a horse to water but can't make him drink come to mind
    We have been around the EIF levy roundabout so many times that I'm nearly sick of it. However I will never let you (IMO F&F's de facto IFA representative) away with the fact that when the EIF levy was instigated farmers were not informed what it was for, nor were they given the option to opt out of it. It was simular to a stealth tax and iirc CJH facilitated it.

We have been around the EIF levy roundabout so many times that I'm nearly sick of it. However I will never let you (IMO F&F's de facto IFA representative) away with the fact that when the EIF levy was instigated farmers were not informed what it was for, nor were they given the option to opt out of it. It was simular to a stealth tax and iirc CJH facilitated it.

I'd spend it on a night out, a euro/hd ffs. it's no wonder farmer representation is in the mess it's in.

I'd spend it on a night out, a euro/hd ffs. it's no wonder farmer representation is in the mess it's in.
    Maybe if there was more transparency over the years there wouldn't be the issue that we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

In fairness there looks to be a bit more craic to these meetings than any ifa county agm I’ve ever been at!

In fairness there looks to be a bit more craic to these meetings than any ifa county agm I’ve ever been at!

iCSA was great support at the beginning too, I wouldn't be building my hopes.
    Not too many farmers prepared to put in the effort.
    Beef plan thought they only had to send in a list of demands.
    Beef price is still suffering due to the protests, having the craic is causing havoc for a lot of farmers

Maybe if there was more transparency over the years there wouldn't be the issue that we have now.

Sure the craic was good anyway, I've been critcising the poor support of farmers since i came on boards.
    You criticise my poor opinion of farmers. Three IFA treasurers (farmers) signed
    Smiths cheques and allowed what went on. So you see not my problem, still have to listen those that never did anything for farmers.
    Farmers themselves will bring down any organisation, and that's becoming very apparent in the last month,

iCSA was great support at the beginning too, I wouldn't be building my hopes.
    Not too many farmers prepared to put in the effort.
    Beef plan thought they only had to send in a list of demands.
    Beef price is still suffering due to the protests, having the craic is causing havoc for a lot of farmers

The protest hasn’t the beef at 3.60 . The cartel has. There hasn’t even been a dent put in their armor and to be honest I’m out of ideas. The dissatisfaction with the inaction of the ifa and the rise of support for oddballs with vested interests that made the right noises is now going to repeat in the general election. Independents and sinn fein are going to get votes from farming people who never strayed from ff fg. Which scares the ****e out me.
    Mary Lou will have slab Murphy as a ag consultant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Following the Beefplan twitter account the last few days was very revealing. Plenty of swipes at the ex-leadership and allegations about money being spent when it shouldn't have been and later returned, apparently.

Setting up a table at the meeting for members of the silage testers whatsapp group that are being removed from Beefplan was childish at best.

The old joke about the first item on the table at any new group meeting is the split is ringing very true atm.

It's difficult to see the movement doing much to advance the issues at hand when they're spending most of their time and energy fighting themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The protest hasn’t the beef at 3.60 . The cartel has. There hasn’t even been a dent put in their armor and to be honest I’m out of ideas. The dissatisfaction with the inaction of the ifa and the rise of support for oddballs with vested interests that made the right noises is now going to repeat in the general election. Independents and sinn fein are going to get votes from farming people who never strayed from ff fg. Which scares the ****e out me.

I've never heard anybody say that slab or his brother was a bad farmer

...then again I'm not sure anyone would say it :P

:D:D
    ganmo wrote: »
    I've never heard anybody say that slab or his brother was a bad farmer

...then again I'm not sure anyone would say it :P

:D. :D And I’m not either!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

FF is going to lose seats because of its stance over the last year. I think it and official farming are failing to see or hear the anger out there. FF will win seats because if its stand on convergence but if it fails to follow up and sort farming issues it too will suffer down the line. The other main winners will be soft left rural independent candidate.

Not sure I want that to happen I already see FF have plans that will send us down the road.of the noughties

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

One thing that rings clear from this thread is the current anger with the current status quo with the government, the cartel and the IFA. Farmers are crying out for change and will support whatever group can bring around this change. Beef plan offered this to farmers, a sense of hope. Surely there are strong enough people within the group to drive this on and get back to brass tacks

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I know very little about the issues but looking in from the outside it looks to me that 2 lads set beef plan up, others joined and now the others want to take it over and get rid of the guys who came up with the idea!! I’m sure it’s more than this but either way it’s annoying when ya see lads jump on the bandwagon and try to takeover. If they were that good why didn’t they come up with something themselves prior to this.

Do you not think ifa are out of ideas too. They're not miracle workers,
    It's a joke trying to bully a business and then expecting goodwill because after all that's what you're depending on.......goodwill
    The specs demanded are unreasonable but not illegal so as a customer it's the processors calling the shots here.
    It's ironic, beef plan belittled IFA for looking for handouts , and here they are going after the Government, probably messing up any chance we have of a handout

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What farmers want is a rebalancing of the unequal power equilibrium, between the processors and themselves. Any Govn't should be unashamadly on the farmers side in this. They can be very innovative in such matters when they want to be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Water John wrote: »
    What farmers want is a rebalancing of the unequal power equilibrium, between the processors and themselves. Any Govn't should be unashamadly on the farmers side in this. They can be very innovative in such matters when they want to be.

Imagine the votes it would get if any Government party did something to reduce the processors dominant market control?

Or put it another way, how many votes would you lose if your party gave the processors a bit of a kicking?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

One thing that rings clear from this thread is the current anger with the current status quo with the government, the cartel and the IFA. Farmers are crying out for change and will support whatever group can bring around this change. Beef plan offered this to farmers, a sense of hope. Surely there are strong enough people within the group to drive this on and get back to brass tacks

They promised a solution to every gripe and delivered nothing. They have no workable structure and are now spilt down the middle. As a vechile to deliver change its finished.
    Would anyone give them funding after this mess?

Advertisement