Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow of Mordor (Shadow of War)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Looks like they put far more effort into animating her face compared to Talion's.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

ive pre-ordered this.i know! its a fairly safe bet though..

Who thought this was a good idea?

Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Anyone else just hate that ghost elf prick?

Would be nice if we could sacrifice/kill/make him work as a barista in part 2....

:P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Have to admit, the news that microtransactions are to feature in this game is pretty disappointing. Will wait until it's on a really steep discount now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Not a fan of this generally, but it doesn't bother me in a SP game. Especially when none of the game is exclusively behind a microtransaction.
    Please note: No content in the game is gated by Gold. All content can be acquired naturally through normal gameplay.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not a fan of this generally, but it doesn't bother me in a SP game. Especially when none of the game is exclusively behind a microtransaction.

Depends on how it's dealt with, I think. Using them as a "shortcut", totally fine in my opinion, using them to pad out the game so that the optimal way to play is by purchasing items, not so cool.

Drop in the ocean but they've lost a buyer in me. Won't even touch it when it's on sale.

MP games are polluted with loot chests, gambling in disguise. I won't support it in a SP game. Plus I'm guessing the game will be a grind-fest to nudge people towards The Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

J. Marston wrote: »
    Drop in the ocean but they've lost a buyer in me. Won't even touch it when it's on sale.

MP games are polluted with loot chests, gambling in disguise. I won't support it in a SP game. Plus I'm guessing the game will be a grind-fest to nudge people towards The Market.

as long as idiots keep blowing their money on them loot chests/crates they will always be in games, nothing but greed from the companies.
    Its a hugh money earner, hell they could even afford to sell the game at half price (maybe not this game) and make a **** ton of money from crates alone.

Did this all begin with ea and fifa packs or something else haha

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd have no faith in WB not to absolutely screw people over with this. I expect any of the good upgrades are next to impossible to get ingame (i.e. a hug amount of grinding), and are practically exclusive to loot crates.

I think i'll wait and pick it up cheap in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Disappointing to hear, but i'll wait until a few days after release and see how it affects the SP first. That'll be my deciding factor on whether to pick up the game or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yeah, I've been extremely hyped over this, but this Shelob nonsense and now the lootboxes stuff has really turned me off.

I wasn't going to pre-order it anyway, but I'll definitely wait until the Steam Winter Sale now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

But... but I just wanted to like this. I really liked the last game...

Just do more of the same x1.5 and we'd have been totally cool

Sexy Shelob?
    Awkward, cringey voice acting?
    Microtransations?

Why WB? Why!?!?!

Thankfully I'll have Destiny 2 and X-Com 2 DLC to keep me busy, so I can just wait for a price drop

*sighs*

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Sexy Shelob thing is really weird. Only heard about it yesterday through The Jimquisition. I'd much rather have conversations with an evil giant spider than generic dark-haired beautiful woman. It's a game set in LOTR, let it be LOTR.

The Lootboxes & different types of currency to buy different lootboxes etc, that just seems to be par for the course now. It'll be the next money-making fad until people stop spending money on them and they have to come up with a new form of making additional money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Must be a no brainer for the developer though. I'm generally not pushed on micro-transactions. I do tend to buy the DLCs and with the exception of Destiny and Modern Warfare 2(possibly Battlefield 4) have never felt they were value for money. Think I bought a dance in Destiny. Playing Warframe at present and while tempting haven't purchased anything yet.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Surely lootboxes won't have much to do with the campaign if anything at all? Wouldn't be going near multiplayer in this even without micro transactions.

Adding unnecessary grinding to force people to purchase micro-transactions. What's worse is this is a single player game.
    Industry is ****ed by certain publishers. Frustrating but clowns will purchase this crap so always a market for it.
    I won't be touching this until it's in some sale or bargain bin.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Surely lootboxes won't have much to do with the campaign if anything at all?

They will. All the rarest/best gear will be behind lootboxes or a lot of grinding.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-07-middle-earth-shadow-of-war-has-loot-boxes
    The single-player action adventure has an in-game store, called the Market, that sells orcs and other items for use in the game's Nemesis System.

In a post on the Warner Bros. website, Monolith community manager Jared said you can also buy loot chests, war chests, XP boosts and bundles.

The loot chests contain gear (weapons and armour) of varying rarity. They can also contain XP boosts which, as you'd expect, help level up playable character Talion faster.

To buy these items, you can spend Mirian or Gold. Mirian is an in-game currency you get from defeating treasure orcs, destroying gear, destroying orc followers for gear (which can then be destroyed for Mirian), or from finding Mirian stashes throughout the game.

Gold, on the other hand, is an in-game currency you can use to get higher level loot chests, war chests, boosts and bundles. You get gold by buying it with real money, but it's awarded in small amounts at specific milestones and for participating in community challenges.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ah, well **** that so.

Orcs in f*cking loot boxes and buying Orcs from the market... That's the stupidest bit of all for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, definitely waiting to see how much they've ****ed the game with these changes...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭nerd69

I don't have a stable internet connection in the hous at the mo so "always online" means I just can't play right? ****ing balls

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Penn wrote: »
    Orcs in f*cking loot boxes and buying Orcs from the market... That's the stupidest bit of all for me.

Why the fcuk are they using a F2P gimmick like that for a fullprice AAA game?
    Dunno if i'll be arsed with that at all now

They saw Deus Ex do it and hitched their wagon. Playing my back log at the minute and am on Assassin's Creed Rogue even that has it for unlocking maps for collectibles. Which can be revealed in game free should you climb each vantage point :rolleyes:

People buy this **** FACT but sometimes people need to be protected from themselves !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

its a pity really, loved the reboot of deus ex but never played its sequel due to all of this crap, probably go the same route with this

They saw Deus Ex do it and hitched their wagon. Playing my back log at the minute and am on Assassin's Creed Rogue even that has it for unlocking maps for collectibles. Which can be revealed in game free should you climb each vantage point :rolleyes:

People buy this **** FACT but sometimes people need to be protected from themselves !!!!!!!

I don't actually mind this kind of stuff, if people want to shortcut through the game, then go right ahead, that doesn't hurt gameplay at all. No body needs to purchase that stuff to complete the game in a standard time frame.

It's when they lock content into lootboxes, and then make that content only accessible otherwise through hours and hours of grinding that makes it evil. They're designing the game to force you into buying loot boxes.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I don't actually mind this kind of stuff, if people want to shortcut through the game, then go right ahead, that doesn't hurt gameplay at all. No body needs to purchase that stuff to complete the game in a standard time frame.

It's when they lock content into lootboxes, and then make that content only accessible otherwise through hours and hours of grinding that makes it evil. They're designing the game to force you into buying loot boxes.

That's exactly what they are doing.

Devs have purposely padded the game to entice people to consider purchasing this crap. And people will cave and buy it.
    Publishers see this and think it's ok.

Thus, then expect it to see it in more single player games.

It's a load of bolox whatever way you want to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

CatInABox wrote: »

or forcing us not to buy the game itself.......
    There's a small number of games I'd probably buy but decisions by developers have completely turned me against them. I stopped buying the COD franchise which was probably my go to online game. The Tomb Raider game that went exclusive to X-box is another one I would have definitely purchased but for that exclusitivity deal.
    It's hurt me more than the game developers but I'm stubborn like that.

The trouble with being able to buy Orcs from a market is that it removes (or at the very least greatly diminishes) what was so great about the first game with the Nemesis system; the RNG Orcs. You had to rely solely on finding decent orcs there who either levelled up by beating you/other orcs or who you helped promote and controlled them. Their strengths and weakness were RNG'ed and you had to deal with that.

Now you can just buy what type of orc you want. Or buy items for them which will help counter their weaknesses etc. The effect of the RNG system and therefore the Nemesis system is greatly reduced. Why bother trying to promote a lowly Orc through the ranks and turn him into a strong follower, making adjustments to suit his strengths & weaknesses, if you can just buy one that suits you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Yet another person here who won't be buying this. Don't understand people who do to be honest. You've paid enough money for the game, should not need to invest further to advance, or gain an unfair advantage over others. Shame, as I had been looking forward to it.

Advertisement