Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow of Mordor (Shadow of War)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

****ing hell.

Take my money now.....That looks awesome.

Noticed a lot less blocking and a lot more murdering than the 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I got bored of the first game, granted I played on 360 and the loading times were awful and the graphics were like something of a PS2. This looks like a beast of a game though... how long it takes to become repetitious we'll have to wait and see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks gorgeous but the combat still looks pants :/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wow, they've nailed the epic part anyway.

As a total LoTR nerd I completely love the attention to detail there, yes they've taken artistic license but out of all the modern LoTR media they've nailed the darker elements of the lore better than anything else, even the movies IMO. For example the nemesis in the video is an Olog-Hai, an intelligent troll that were basically generals in Sauron's armies but they were only mentioned in the appendices.

I thought the first game was a fair bit away from being brilliant, but I actually really enjoyed it and found it fun. Which when it comes to games is the point, right? The biggest issue I had is it just wasn't varied enough, it seemed unfinished, and yes it got repetitive pretty quick.

At first glimpse this appears to solve a lot of that, in the sense that there appears to be a load of different areas and so we're not just looking at one greyish Mordor backdrop. Also the actual fortress looks really interesting there, I'm intrigued about the architecture in what seems to resemble Victorian-industrial era style buildings; Tolkien often referred to the dark forces in his books representing the industrial movement taking over the world, so it's interesting the game designers used that level of detail, rather than just using lazy 'orcish' looking huts and fortresses - perhaps that area will have a back story, fleshed out no doubt, about how the first humans who worked under Sauron settled in that area.

Yep, I'll defo be all over this. If it combines the fun of the first one, the combat system was good enough for me because it was fun, and adds enough variety and includes the epicness we saw in the trailer, then we're onto a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Combat is still 'Press Y to win' which is disappointing, the upgraded nemesis system looks fabulous though.

I'm not sold on the siege, I get the feeling you'll need a minimum army size to attack certain fortresses, despite your army doing nothing except die as you bop around killing the Captain's and Overlords, same as the first game but in a different setting.

I'll probably pick it up when it's cheap, I enjoyed the first one and will probably enjoy this one too but it looks too repetitive for anywhere close to €60, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Combat is still 'Press Y to win' which is disappointing, the upgraded nemesis system looks fabulous though.

Seems to be a bit more to the rest of the gameplay so hopefully like Batman it's better than the sum of its parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭TinCanMan

I've just started Shadow of Mordor which I got in one of the flash sales and I absolutely love it. To say I'm hyped after seeing the Shadow of War video would be an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I actually enjoyed the first one and unusually for me I went and did all the side missions and picked up all the collectibles so this looks like a definite purchase for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

This is one of the very very few games I'm actually excited for this year.

I'm willing to believe the current animations are indeed part of the alpha gameplay and aren't the final product.

Shadow of Morder is one of the few games I don't mind the press x to win games because it feels like you should be able to decimate the orcs around you, though it'd would have been nice to see the Warchiefs offer more of a challenge.

Sonics2k wrote: »

Shadow of Morder is one of the few games I don't mind the press x to win games because it feels like you should be able to decimate the orcs around you, though it'd would have been nice to see the Warchiefs offer more of a challenge.

Disagree there is a skill to the fighting in Mordor its just not Japanese 57 button combo to some. yes the counter gives you options but so does block in a Jap 57 button game.

You are only pressing X because your initial plan went tits up be it set him on fire, sniper, attack him with a monster.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Disagree there is a skill to the fighting in Mordor its just not Japanese 57 button combo to some. yes the counter gives you options but so does block in a Jap 57 button game.

You are only pressing X because your initial plan went tits up be it set him on fire, sniper, attack him with a monster.

Well there's a misconception if ever there was one. Platinum games have far more complexity than these warner brother games and they use at most 2 attack buttons. the Warner Bros games have all these counter moves that do the same thing, just glorified QTE counters. Positioning isn't an issue as you near teleport to the enemies. There's way more moves and other junk in these games but it's mostly stuff you don't need as the counter system is so lenient and the dodge roll is OP and makes you invincible.

That said it's not unplayably bad and if the features outside the combat shown in the video are handled well and it's not just all based off the poor combat system it could rise above it like the Batman games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well there's a misconception if ever there was one. Platinum games have far more complexity than these warner brother games and they use at most 2 attack buttons. the Warner Bros games have all these counter moves that do the same thing, just glorified QTE counters. Positioning isn't an issue as you near teleport to the enemies. There's way more moves and other junk in these games but it's mostly stuff you don't need as the counter system is so lenient and the dodge roll is OP and makes you invincible.

That said it's not unplayably bad and if the features outside the combat shown in the video are handled well and it's not just all based off the poor combat system it could rise above it like the Batman games.

That is horse**** tbh

Any platinum(jap 57 button) game you learn moves 10 hours in that you never use simply because you are accustomed to the moves you learned at the beginning.

Hiding a move 20 hours into a game is redundant so taking the "oh this game has a X mash button" is horse****. The exact games you speak have a far worse option hiding moves that noone ever uses behind playtime.

Bayonetta is king of the hill on this.

Bayonetta hides them? This is the same game with combo lists in the loading screen that lets you practice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I can't wrap my head around playing Batman or this with Platinum's fighting system. It's apples and oranges for me, especially Batman.
    Those games many parts are all about playing on offence & replayability these ones you can approach a few ways, there is an option to stealth it out & much of the gameplay you can traverse the openworld environment.
    If you don't like the approach well ask yourself why they haven't changed it. Cause obviously it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Press X to win you say?

Well if thats what it takes, that's what I'll do

I like killing Orcs who don't like me

And I'll be ignorantly blissfull and having a great time doing it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Anyone know where I could pick up the original Shadow of Mordor cheap? Either digital or physical copy? Xbox one by the way?

Would like to see what the fuss is about!

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

joe123 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could pick up the original Shadow of Mordor cheap? Either digital or physical copy? Xbox one by the way?

Would like to see what the fuss is about!

i picked up a GOTY edition, new, on the english ebay for 15 euro delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'll be waiting for reviews on this one.

Also, who needs an army when you can zip around and take a stronghold single handed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I'll be waiting for reviews on this one.

Also, who needs an army when you can zip around and take a stronghold single handed?

Because you need to avenge Al-Zaar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

I know it's still four months from release, but I do hope they upgrade those graphics a bit.

Talion looks quite a bit different from the first game too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Graphics are fine, but the animations are a bit dodgy. It's early days, so i'm sure they'll fix that (though we've been wrong about that before :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Kiith wrote: »
    Graphics are fine, but the animations are a bit dodgy. It's early days, so i'm sure they'll fix that (though we've been wrong about that before :P)

The sprinting in particular looks off. Plenty of time for fine-tuning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I keep hearing if you like the Arkham games you'll like these (the first one anyway). Everyone here feel the same? I'm after getting a wee bit bored with Arkham Knight and need a new game so would Shadow of Mordor be worth picking up?

At least then I'll know if the sequel will appeal to me later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

It can be got very cheaply now (I think the GOTY edition is €15 on the PS store right now), and is well worth it. I'm not a big Lotr fan and loved it.

It's similar-ish gameplay to the Batman games with the chain combo striking

I keep hearing if you like the Arkham games you'll like these (the first one anyway). Everyone here feel the same? I'm after getting a wee bit bored with Arkham Knight and need a new game so would Shadow of Mordor be worth picking up?

At least then I'll know if the sequel will appeal to me later in the year.

It's mostly based off of Arkham's hand to hand combat which I think is utter pants. Unlike Arkham, outside of the combat there's not a whole lot else besides fighting groups of enemies.

The new game however looks promising with a nice mix of gameplay and looks a lot more varied. The original is on sale for as low as a fiver at times so at that price it might be worth a punt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Hmmmm. I'd been checking for a disc based version as i'm not really into the Digital Copies but if the price is that different it may definitely be worth a punt on a digital copy. I'll keep an eye on the store.

Looking into Mad Max also, currently reading the old thread on it. Might have a question or two on it but will ask on the MM thread so as not to drag this thread further off topic, thanks folks.

Advertisement