Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your phobia?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Julien69, infracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

spoons scare me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Spiders, FEET!!, not being able to move my arms, things all messed up and not in the right order, foods touching (like chips and beans!!), open doors, somebody tapping on something with their nails and not stopping or rubbing away the tap, people touching the middle of my neck, people touching my hair, and so so much more...actually, I have problems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

RATS and WATER:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

didnt have one until lately BANKS its bad :eek::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

Spiders and clowns,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭tickle_monster

thunder and lightening:( im slowly accepting it but still need to curl up in a duvet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

mickeyhardhouse infracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 april_14870

I currently have a severe fear of tornados. I say currently because in a few years it will change to something else. It used to be asteroids, then before that it was the dark. They say its a form of Post Traumatic Stress, experienced as a small child. I am ok during the winter, but now that the weather is changing, I am very afraid, and I live in NY which not exactly Tornado Alley. I get laughed at, but they just don't get the idea of how I could be so scared of everything. I fight myself sometimes not to become that person who traps themselves in their house. I could build a bomb shelter and stay there. Nightmares do not help:eek: me, sometimes I am plagued with them. Meds don't work. I work to much and can not function under their side effects. I try to cope, and force myself to move on everyday. Thanks for listening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

ergonomics wrote: »
    I am petrified of slugs and snails. Even the thought of them sends me into a cold sweat. I'm so bad that even typing this sentence is difficult because I don't want to think about them at all.

Me too! And my garden is infested. Had a few incidents as a kid that I think caused it. I've never heard of anyone else with the same phobia till now - makes me feel more 'normal' :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

Anything with more than 4 legs, spiders, centipedes and millipedes are the worst.

Open deep water. I think its the whole not knowing whats down there thing.

Heights. Bawled crying at the top of Blarney Castle and could not even move. They let me go down the up stairs.

And for absolutely no reason I can think of...balloons. I break out in a sweat and become petrified at even the sight of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I've realised I may have a mild nausea phobia (mild because I still go out and get drunk). I don't have emetophobia, the fear of vomiting, as I don't mind vomiting - ok it's not exactly fun but it relieves the nausea.

Feeling nauseated freaks me out big time - it causes me to panic which obviously serves to make me feel more nauseated. If I've nausea from a hangover I just stay in bed - no alternative for me. I can't for the life of me understand how people still get up, make coffee, get the papers... or even go to work :eek:

And I'm fussy about germs in the kitchen (not to be a cleanliness freak but just a fear of food poisoning) - handling raw chicken I do not like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭alegrabaroque

Death! Not fair I can`t avoid it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I have a phobia of butter :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 VexedRed

Heights and pregnant women...

I don't know if the pregnant woman thing has an actual scientific name but if I see one I start to feel queasy and kind of... well... disgusted... I watched a movie lately that shows a pregnancy belly (over and over and over) and I had to leave the room! Needless to say, that scene in Knocked Up, you know the one I'm talking about-means I'm scarred forever!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Fran Costello

buttons and felt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Des wrote: »
    I am scared witless of Dogs.

I hate them, I can't be in the same room as them lest they decide to "make friends" with me and start of jump and slobber all over me. The worst are the "happy" dogs who just want to jump and play and stomp around doing dog stuff.

I hate it when people I meet for the first time say to me "ah, you've never met my dog though, s/he wouldn't hurt a fly, s/he's really friendly, s/he'll change your mind". No, I'm afraid it won't. You think you are the first person to say this to me?

If there is a dog in the vicinity, I go all tense and stand or sit perfectly still, so it doesn't notice me and goes away.

It could be little gay poodle, a big macho German Shepherd, an ugly boxer, one of them "cute" squirrel looking things that growl at stuff, I don't care.

Canine is not this man's best friend.

And I know why too.

When I was little some complete arsehole had a pup Doberman that he decided to "set" on me. It pinned me down by my shoulders and was barking and drooling in my face. I'll never forget it.

I have no compulsion to "get over" this phobia either. I don't need, or want, to.

Anyway, dogs are no way as cool as cats.

+1 with the dogs. I have all the same fears of dogs as you.
    I also know why. When I was about 4 myself and my brother were throwing a ball to each other and our neighbours dog was running over and back between us barking and trying to get the ball. I got bitten on the hand. If a dog barks anywhere near me now I either completely freeze or I am gone running before I even am aware of what I am doing. Only times I have been completely terrified in my life have all involved dogs. I don't blame them though. These things stick in your mind when you're a young kid. C'est la vie! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dimple_smile

I've been scared of dark since i was little. Im ok if im not alone, but if im in the dark room by myself i have to leave a light or tv on. That's why i hate power cuts, and i also dont like to look into mirrors in the dark (i think that one has a lot to do with all the horror stories i was told as a kid).
    Im afraid of spiders (well most bugs really), deep water and hights too. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭TiwstaSista

Swimming and open waters (almost drowned when i was a kid no kidding like 3 times).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

My phobia is a fear of being late...Allegrophobia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I have a fear of heights and lifts.
    I know a fear of lifts is a bit weird but I can't stand them!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

flying and planes- i hate going anywhere near the airport. I used to hear planes passing at night in my last house, i sure was glad that them pieces of crap stayed up there, and as got putting my life in the hands of one of them things, ah ah, no way

public speaking or even gatherings- i feel sick for hrs before a wedding or funerals, i did a reading at a mass once without breathing in, i couldn't figure out why i wasn't making any noise while speaking

heights- 1 flight (hmmmm,hate that work) of stairs is okay, but christ above why do some buildings go up higher, if you need more rooms then build a bigger house

broken glass- why cant they make drinking glasses like car windscreens, no instead when you accidently drop a glass, and you end up with a million hard to see stabbing weapons in your kitchen and living room, great idea, thanks!

burglers- christ they can take what the want, but just do it when i'm not home.

people biting cutlery- noting worse then enjoying a meal with the inlaws and trying to hold a conversation, while one of them bites the food off the fork with his/her teeth, god i'd love to punch them in the teeth sometimes

dog crap- my god people take off your shoes when you come into a house, you probably stood on dog crap in the last week and still have bits of dried shyte waiting to fall off.

dreams- why are dreams always so stressfull and annoying, your either dreaming that your late for work, somewhere in the nude, someone has died, you have a lost a foot, or have the back of head missing like in the xbox adds, less stress to stay awake

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I have a fear of heights, even short ladders spook me. I also don't like the thought of flying. Deep water scares me as well. In other words bridges are not somewhere you are likely to find me.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Brown paper bags, the feeling of them on my fingers repulses me. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭poms

ok i am embarrased to say this but what really freaks me out is the thought of someone touching my inner ankles :o i go crazy when my partner grabs them.......that and the sight of moths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Imallin9989

being hypnotised.. the whole loss of control doesn do it for me...:o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

I'm terrified of butterflies and moths, daddy long legs too, and generally insects, the crunch when you kill them is too much for me to handle, so i do whats like a tribal dance and scream when in killing mode so i don't have to hear the noise. I've recently discovered that the thoughts of being up very high makes me want to lie down immediately and crawl to safety, this is all in my mind, as i've never been faced with the situation! Also, if i stood beside a big truck or the likes, i would want to lie flat on the ground. TOO BIG!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Spiders, insects etc. Bananas freak me out too. Cant swim dont like open water. but have done a dive - which helped a great deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭hitman_

Where do I start. Agrophobia in various degrees, Silence combined with darkness, ticks and other burrowing insects, sound of choking.
    That will do for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭solus

Ive Phobia Frogs and Toads.. ive had Hypnosis done.. it didnt work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 girltalk

Mice. Give me a spider any day of the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Dido1

Kold wrote: »
    Lets see, fish, bugs, spiders, women, failure, scobes, mentalists, nuclear war, cancer, debilitating skin diseases, being alone, falling in love, finding out there actually is a God and he took all that **** I said mighty personally, going blind, going deaf, skag, micro organisms, drug addiction, the establishment, revolution, losing my mind, vegans, homicidal AI, ghosts, tutors, coleslaw, egg mayonaisse, being stabbed in the back of the neck with a syringe by some mad **** on a nightbus, erectile disfunction, getting erections at bad times, fashion, hot things, electricity, people who look pissed off all the time, oh and I'm pretty sure I'm safe but male pattern balding would be fairly ****ing ****.

But mostly fish and creepy crawlies.

:D:D:D...thanks for the chuckle in what is otherwise a pretty ****ty day!

Snakes....think i would drop dead on the spot if i came across one!! Shudder just thinking about the evil looking bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Trail_Blazer

I fear 3 things:

1. Clowns (common one)

2. Sharks (probably somewhat common)

3. Stairs (don't know anyone who is)

I believe the sharks and stairs one go back to past lives. I'm not SO afraid of stairs that I won't use them, but I really hate doing so. Going up or down, doesn't matter - I'm afraid of tripping and falling backwards, or forwards. It's pretty disconcerting, which is why I use the elevator most of the time.

Sharks make no sense, since I live in a hell-hole desert. But just seeing their visage is pretty horrible to me. This isn't just great white's or whatever - All sharks look evil to me!

Clowns I think everyone or most people can understand that. These "bringers of joy" do anything BUT bring me joy. They're not funny, they're not fun, they're ugly and they suck. No, this doesn't haveta do with the movies "Killer Clowns From Outer Space" or Stephen Kings' "IT". Though Pennywise the Clown certainly doesn't help matters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

I fear 3 things:

1. Clowns (common one)

2. Sharks (probably somewhat common)

3. Stairs (don't know anyone who is)

I believe the sharks and stairs one go back to past lives. I'm not SO afraid of stairs that I won't use them, but I really hate doing so. Going up or down, doesn't matter - I'm afraid of tripping and falling backwards, or forwards. It's pretty disconcerting, which is why I use the elevator most of the time.

Sharks make no sense, since I live in a hell-hole desert. But just seeing their visage is pretty horrible to me. This isn't just great white's or whatever - All sharks look evil to me!

Clowns I think everyone or most people can understand that. These "bringers of joy" do anything BUT bring me joy. They're not funny, they're not fun, they're ugly and they suck. No, this doesn't haveta do with the movies "Killer Clowns From Outer Space" or Stephen Kings' "IT". Though Pennywise the Clown certainly doesn't help matters!

not mad on the stairs myself, but for a different reason. i feel there's someone behind me on the stairs, ready to pounce! (the fact that my whole family enjoyed grabbing me by the ankles when i was on the stairs may have added to this!!) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I have a few but main one is dentist, I have to be sedated for a filling! If its just a consult and I know he wont be drilling I am fine, we have great fun and chats on those days but any work to be done is a no no. he reckons its more the noise I am scared of so maybe seeing as...

I am afraid of velvet! i no weird anyone I have said this to thinks I am crazy, I cant even look at it, the noise drives me cracked altogether. cotton wool fairly similiar thing but not to the same extreme, anyone else have this??

hate the other usuals heights (done a skydive but cant go up a ladder!) spiders, snakes etc I am quite a scardy person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 grunge_kid

hi :),

i have a phobia of Peaches ( seriously ! ) its the texture and just everything about them !

also i a terrified of having blood taken from me, i actually get panic attacks after it for hours !

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dimple_smile

grunge_kid wrote: »
    also i a terrified of having blood taken from me, i actually get panic attacks after it for hours !

I can't stand blood either... but i dont get panic attacks i just faint ha :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

My common phobias are nettles and wasps.

Also I have this strange fear of breaking bones???. this means I won't stretch an awkward way if I need to for fear of slipping and breaking something :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Bee's and wasps... When ever they go near me I just freeze up :o It was the worst at download festival this year, the biggest swarm of honey bee's I've ever seen flew head height through the crowd.. It was huge!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 emZie

People looking at/touching my feet
    spiders
    being trapped anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pjays

crumbs and clowns:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

glossy paper, the sound of it being touched and the sensation of touching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Up until about 6 weeks ago it was flying.
    Went to a hypnotheraphy session (1 hour only) in April as my OH was planning a honeymoon with a LOT of flying in it. I have to say I was NOWHERE near as nervous coming upto or during the flights. Was delighted that whatever done worked!
    Didnt really know until a few days before the first flight if it had worked or partially worked. Did about 45 hours in the air on 7 seperate flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I know this must be hard for her but pleez tell me this is real!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I didn't check every page, but I have a severe phobia of........sponges :/

Absolutely hate them, and my ex once pulled one from her pocket all happy, not realising I'd jumped a meter or so away from her.

I often get attacked in class from 'friends' with sponges >.< *shiver*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭xochillixo

TOMATOES, cant stand them from when i was very young... ugh
    i have a vry bad sense of smell bt i know if im in the same room as a cut tomato.... they have a very distinctive smell....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LittleRose

Feckin birds, balloons, heights, the dark, deep water, empty swimming pools, lift shafts, talcum powder, cats, rats. Have no problem with spiders or snakes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Wasps, and bananas (only if they're unpeeled). I don't know why, but I think bananas are horrible and I can't be in the same room if anyone is eating them. My friends think it's hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Needles. I'm utterly petrified of them. I feel really ill just thinking about them as I'm typing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭nige1982

i am scared of snakes, men with beards and big woman :o im not slagging i am scared of them!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement