Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your phobia?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Clowns, bugs, the sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Homophobia lol! Those gay people frighten the hell outta me! lol

Only messing I'm gay myself actually maybe homophobia-phobia although would that be that I have a fear of people being scared of me? haha

no seriously i have a total fear of dark alleys and skanger thug guys! They terrify me! oh and Mormons at the door they are frightening!!! the way they grin so cheesily. Oh I also have a fear of getting a papercut and walking past building sites in case something falls and crushes me! and ROADS!!! Yes that's my ultimate fear roads! I can't walk across them even if there's a green man, I dart across cos sometimes vehicles decide not to stop and may knock me over!

Oh but I'm not scared of spiders well big huge hairy ones I am but I like small ones, i think they're cute!

Oh I can't stand the sight of blood I nearly faint! Ultra religious people oh they petrify me cos I think they will try to hunt me down or sth! Like those nuts in town! Oh I also have a huge fear of going on a theme park ride but I was forced on one before by my friend and enjoyed it after all but still freaks me out maybe that's why I liked it lol! I think I have a thing for being scared or sth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 livi

one word...PIGEONS!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

Clowns, bugs, the sea.

I love the sea. Always have. Provides me with so much creativity, especially with writing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ch81

smear test.... serious issues and iv had children....anyone want to give me a name for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Shy?!

LadyJ wrote: »
    Well, I'm LadyJ and I have a terrible fear of spiders and flying.

Do share yours....

I have the same 2 phobias. I love to travel and the only way to go is fly so usually get fairly drunk before boarding which is not going to work out all the time. Once or twice I've been questioned on the amount I've drank.I will check out that Allen Carr book. Any near cure for spiders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

No, Allen Carr is also afraid of spiders and he reckons it's the best way to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Rosealee

water..drowing..:( I can swin but im 2 afraid to.. panic..
    Also have a fear of being around lots of people. everytime i go somewhere an its crowded i cant breath feel like im going to pass out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭sam_mom1

Dwarves

Bugs, if its just one its ok but anymore than one and its EEK time for me

Maggots

Collapsing in public

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

mine isnt a stereotypical fear, never heard of anyone else with it. im afraid of seeds and things that resemble them...
    now not a seed or two on their own in my hand, i can handle that!but when they're all together, like i cannot look into the inside of a pepper, or especially a melon,

the fear has now grown into anything that is small and clumped together, like cobblelocked streets made from the tiny rounded stones..i cant walk on it, and i feel like gagging when i see it.
    my boyfriend described it like a chlostrophobia for other things! lol!

can anyone explain that one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭sam_mom1

emzolita do you mean anything small and clumped together? like Cavier??? that just makes my skin crawl, ughhh i feel like puking now......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

yeah i suppose caviar would be on the list of stuff that resembles seeds etc, eww actually yes! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭dara95

hi
    im dara 95

i have really bad agoraphobia!

for those of you who dont know what this is its fear of going outside!!
    does anyone else have this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

hi i'm dave and i have a paranoid fear of moths and butterflies. and also fish and sea creatures and touching off the sea in general. i can't eat anything with fish in it cos it freaks me out, and i can't kiss my other half if fish has been recently consumed. worst time of year is summer time, i'd love to have my windows open and enjoy the breeze but the fear of moths coming in or butterflies is just to much. i once left work and ran out on to the street cos there was a butterfly in my office. its totally irrational, i know, but i completely loose all control of myself when i see one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 justmum

spiders and hospitals, I'd rather suffer for a month than spend a night in a hospital. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lovemypinkhat

Can't stand butterflies either, it's their fluttering or something. I always totally freak out when they're around :rolleyes:

Not fond of flying either, but I'm getting better at it. As long as we've got to cruising height okay and there's no turbulence and I've someone to chat with, I'm...good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

I'm afraid of heights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭riff-raff

Glass bottom lifts:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

Birds or anything with wings but pigeons in particular
    And sheep... something about their eyes peering through the gaps in those huge trucks freak the hell outta me:eek:

• Advertisement

ladyella wrote: »
    And sheep... something about their eyes peering through the gaps in those huge trucks freak the hell outta me:eek:

Then definitely don't go and see this movie. I did. Quite disturbing but funny at the same time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nboylan

does anyone suffer from agrophobia???i know someone that suffers from it badly and it made their life a misery.They did a special segment about it and other phobias on ireland am last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 slinger99

Why do you hate Cork Des?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 slinger99

steps_3314 wrote: »
    I hate the thought of lying on my stomach trying to crawl through a tight space with little or no light...like a tunnel maybe. Its worst if i imagine im doing it on my own. I wouldnt be afraid of tight spaces generally e.g lifts.

I also hate f**king cucumbers...cant be near one

Me too,one time I was on holidays and a tourist "attraction" was to go down into an old mine....lets say there was not a happy ending about 200 feet underground..had to be physically restrained.....dont mind being in a tight space overground just underground, people who do potholing as a hobby are ABSOLUTLEY BONKERS!!!
    BUT the phobio that effects me more on a day to day basis ,as I am not a professional miner, is a terror of BALLOONS!!!
    DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS?? Have searched this thread to no avail ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

my fear has got to be the weirdest but i fear alchohol in all forms it just terrifys me even do i used to really enjoy..it sucks so bad not being able to relax with a pint without freaking out and feeling like im losing control:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

Im afraid of cotton wool it terrifies me!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Messy Missy

Flying. I'm the worst passenger in the whole wide world.

Everything starts before I get on the plane: on the way to the airport I get stomach cramps and hyperventilate. Once on the air, I start crying, scratch my arms until the are bright red (once they even bled a bit), wiggle in my seat and feel like throwing up.

I have no idea when or how this insane fear of flying started. When I was younger I used to enjoy flying but then, all of the sudden, I started freaking out. I wonder if watching "Alive!" so many times put a notion in my head.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 14 howisitgoing

LadyJ wrote: »
    Well, I'm LadyJ and I have a terrible fear of spiders and flying.

Do share yours....

i have a fear of mashed potatoes strange or what:mad:

Pop music (and r'n'b), I love to generalise. :)

*runs away*

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 14 howisitgoing

bet your twenty

"Gerontophobia- Fear of old people or of growing old"

I'm absolutely terrified. Not of old people as such, I'm kind towards them, just that I will become them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

bet your twenty

I'm confused. Do you mean I bet you're twenty as in you're quite young or I bet you twenty about something? :confused:

Seemed he said "bet your twenty"

Cheeky git. :)

DenMan wrote: »
    Seemed he said "bet your twenty"

Cheeky git. :)

Yes, he said "bet your twenty", I'm wondering did he mean I bet you're twenty.

Just trying to ascertain how constructive the post is.

watna wrote: »
    Yes, he said "bet your twenty", I'm wondering did he mean I bet you're twenty.

Just trying to ascertain how constructive the post is.

Check your pocket. Is it a little light?

DenMan wrote: »
    Check your pocket. Is it a little light?

Careful now. I wouldn't call these posts constructive either. Behave. :)

• Advertisement

Sorry Watna. :)

Couldn't refrain myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MS.MONEYPENNY

I have a terrible phobia about the sun. If it's a really nice day I won't go outside the door. I don't believe sun factor bottles, if it says 50 I still believe I will burn :confused:. I have 4 children and never let them out side when it's sunny, I even lock the doors so they can't get out :(....."I'm so afraid they will burn". If they come home from school and it's been sunny and their any way red I have a panic attack. I don't know why, I really wish I cud over come this as I can't even bring them on a sun holiday I'm so afraid they'll burn. I know in my mind it's madness but I can't get over it:confused:

I have a terrible phobia about the sun. If it's a really nice day I won't go outside the door. I don't believe sun factor bottles, if it says 50 I still believe I will burn :confused:. I have 4 children and never let them out side when it's sunny, I even lock the doors so they can't get out :(....."I'm so afraid they will burn". If they come home from school and it's been sunny and their any way red I have a panic attack. I don't know why, I really wish I cud over come this as I can't even bring them on a sun holiday I'm so afraid they'll burn. I know in my mind it's madness but I can't get over it:confused:

Oh god, that sounds awful.

My advice, never, never move to New Zealand. There's no ozone layer around NZ and you burn in 15 minutes - even in cloud.

We had factor 50 on on Christmas day and we all still burned.

I can tell you, the sun in Ireland is very weak and sun protection really really does work, especially since I've seen the other side of things here.

I don't know what you could do but perhaps you could put factor 50 on them and let them in the sun for say, 5 minutes or less if it upsets you. Then you could gradually up the time you allow them in the sun. Have you tried that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MS.MONEYPENNY

I don't know what you could do but perhaps you could put factor 50 on them and let them in the sun for say, 5 minutes or less if it upsets you. Then you could gradually up the time you allow them in the sun. Have you tried that?
    Thanks for your repy. I have tried that and nearly drove them insane running out every 2 min's to put on more sunblock:(. I wouldn't mind they have all really dark skin and wouldn't burn that easy. In my rational mind I know this is crazy, but when the sun shines all reason goes out the window and I turn into a lunatic. I have to sit myself down and tell myself how utterly crazy I sound, but I just can't help myself. I really have to get this sorted as I promised my Hubby I would so we can all go on a sun hol this summer, oh God....:confused::confused:. I wonder if it more like O.C.D.?.....Any idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am scared of a few things - going down escalators and stairs, dentists and hospitals.

The first fear started after a bad fall. I have always been petrified of dentists and the fear of hospitals started after I was in hospital for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Heights. Absolutely HATE heights since I was a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

My friends all find it terribly amusing this: I'm a big guy (6' 2'', about 15 stone) and I'm utterly terrified of any and all kinds of spiders!!! I know it's stupid, but I am so scared of spiders it is unreal.

I am also terrified of doctors, hospitals, syringes and all other manner of medical mumbo-jumbo (I get this from my father). Though I've kinda conquered this a little, thanks to a friend of mine who convinced me to donate blood. So I did, despite making an eejit of myself in the D'Olier Street clinic. It wasn't as bad as I expected!

Still scared of things that have more eyes and legs than seems reasonable though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 T3h-Slayer

spiders. i'm kinda like holding my breath and feeling weaker than usual when i see one and this feeling does not stops until i'm out of the room where it is. at times, i can't sleep because i've seen a spider somewhere on the wall in my room. and well... i'm totally scared of those little things. gimme a snake anytime and i'll handle it without fear but just try to bring meh close to a spider and i might have a heart attack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

i'm terrified of balloons, elastic bands, non-vinyl erasers, rubber gloves, in fact anything made of rubber (no jokes please). they raise my heart rate considerably and cause my palms to sweat. i think i'm quite mental for that very reason tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Melted M&M

Hi, I'm watna, Tomatoes scare the crap out of me. They have evil seeds that get everywhere and I can't eat food that has touched a tomato or pick up or touch them. Tomato sauce is fine. It's the raw fruit that is evil. They seriously freak me out!

Oh my god i'm not alone! tomatoes scare the living bejazus out of me I hate them too :eek:
    BTW I used to have a real irrational fear of spiders till I bought one of those spider catchers
    warning may contain images of a graphic nature

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pixiestix

Raekwon wrote: »
    +1

I absolutely hate needles with a passion! If I have to go for a blood test or something then I get weak at the knees, breakout in a cold sweat and go very pale. I haven't had to get many injections in my life thankfully but I did have a minor operation a few years ago and they needed to insert an IV into the top of my wrist. I had a mini panic attack and I nearly threw-up as the doctor inserted it and it left an instant bruise! Even the thought of it now is making me feel ill :(

i am petrified of needles...3 years ago when i was pregnant with my son i kept having panic attacks, the doctors thought it was cos i was thinkin bout giving birth and workin myself into a state, but it was actually cos i was thinkin bout the blood tests i had to keep getting, and the needles they'd be stickin in me. when i had my daughter in october last year i couldnt look at my hand cos there was a drip in it, and i couldnt squeez my boyfriends hand cos i was afraid to move my hand incase the needle went out the other side....*shudder gag shudder*

also i am afraid of horses, tomatos and the deep fat fryer

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭miss.lost

None, but I wonder do any others fear my friends fear of butterflies...

Yup, big time!! Its the sticky feet i think!!

Oh and have a huge fear of anyone or anything touching my collarbone... tops that rub on it, seatbelts in cars or if someone puts their arm round my shoulder and their hand touches it...yikes!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cumhachtnamara

BELLYBUTTONS. they are so rancid and horrible. people touching them, putting things in them or anything about them really. and yes i do get tormented by everyone who knows about it!!! :(:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭julien69

<snip>

• Advertisement
Advertisement