Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OnePlus 8/Pro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

the goon wrote: »
    Thanks,would love to know. Surely at this price it is locked for a similar period.

Most likely...I won't be pulling the trigger...had totally forgotten that it's single sim... need a work sim also.
    So it may have to be the 8 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭D_D

Most likely...I won't be pulling the trigger...had totally forgotten that it's single sim... need a work sim also.
    So it may have to be the 8 for me

The official OnePlus website has the OnePlus 7T Pro as having dual NANO-SIM? Where did you see that it is single SIM only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

D_D wrote: »
    The official OnePlus website has the OnePlus 7T Pro as having dual NANO-SIM? Where did you see that it is single SIM only?

On chat with the 3 rep..he said single sim for their phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

are the prepays defintely locked?
    Could you just buy it prepay and not both topping up but using a different SIM?

can't see how the phone is only single sim? surely OP don't make different variations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Uriel. wrote: »

can't see how the phone is only single sim? surely OP don't make different variations?

The SIM tray is back to back, so you would think that, however some of the US models have a piece of plastic on one side which prevents a second sim being inserted, so its possible they did it that way. However, I've only heard of it on the US models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

Why is this cheap on three webite They have oneplus 7 at 419 now.

eglobal has one plus 8 at 530 - have not used this site before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Uriel. wrote: »

People on this thread are saying it's unlocked.
    ebayissues wrote: »
    Why is this cheap on three webite They have oneplus 7 at 419 now.

eglobal has one plus 8 at 530 - have not used this site before.

I've used EGlobalCentral multiple times before. They were grand. Still, pay with PayPal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this on eGlobal

I like the idea of saving approx. €200, even if I have to wait a few extra weeks for it.

It says "CN Ver. with Flashed OS". I take it this means there some sort of Chinese version - but what dies this mean in practical terms? I get it am I going to be left having to learn Mandarin? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Has someone used their 8 or 8 Pro on Vodafone’s 5G network?

The web site does not list any 5G band for Ireland and somehow there is no concrete info I can see.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Has someone used their 8 or 8 Pro on Vodafone’s 5G network?

The web site does not list any 5G band for Ireland and somehow there is no concrete info I can see.

Thanks
    Wikipedia page here calls out the bands, countries and companies. This should be a starting point for you anyway.

• Advertisement

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Wikipedia page here calls out the bands, countries and companies. This should be a starting point for you anyway.

You clearly are missing the point.

a.) The OnePlus does not support all bands out of the box.
    b.) Not all carriers allow devices not purchased via them on 5G
    c.) OnePlus lists no Irish Carrier as supported
    d.) Vodafone does use N78 but some implementation is different

Which is why I specificly asked if someone used it on Vodafone 5G.

But thank you for you contribution.

You clearly are missing the point.

a.) The OnePlus does not support all bands out of the box.
    b.) Not all carriers allow devices not purchased via them on 5G
    c.) OnePlus lists no Irish Carrier as supported
    d.) Vodafone does use N78 but some implementation is different

Which is why I specificly asked if someone used it on Vodafone 5G.

But thank you for you contribution.

I currently use my OnePlus Pro 8 with two sim cards in it... You get a notification to say that you can't use 5G while having two sims in it (currently) and it may change with a future update...

I currently use my OnePlus Pro 8 with two sim cards in it... You get a notification to say that you can't use 5G while having two sims in it (currently) and it may change with a future update...

Thanks, if you use only your 5G sim, you have full 5G ?

Thanks, if you use only your 5G sim, you have full 5G ?

Sorry, the two sims I have are Eir (personal) and Three (work) and I don't think they have a 5G service in Ireland yet?

Sorry, the two sims I have are Eir (personal) and Three (work) and I don't think they have a 5G service in Ireland yet?

Thanks D_D.

Let's hope someone here has Vodafone and can report back.

With the lower price on amazon for it, I am thinking of jumping and buying one but if it won't work on Vodafone 5G than I will choose a different phone.

Thanks D_D.

Let's hope someone here has Vodafone and can report back.

With the lower price on amazon for it, I am thinking of jumping and buying one but if it won't work on Vodafone 5G than I will choose a different phone.

I am with Vodafone on bill pay, so I should be able to get 5g. I will have to check where has the 5g coverage so I can test it out.
    Edit: Am on a 5g plan but will have to wait til I am in Dublin city centre to test it out.

I am with Vodafone on bill pay, so I should be able to get 5g. I will have to check where has the 5g coverage so I can test it out.
    Edit: Am on a 5g plan but will have to wait til I am in Dublin city centre to test it out.

Thank you derekeire, I appreciate that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

I am with Vodafone and have a Note 10 plus 5G.
    Only time I have had 5G working was when I was in Power City in Coolock (got over 300mbps using speed test)
    I never go to City Centre so can't say if it is widespread there or just certain areas.
    I have the last couple of days seen the 5G icon come on a lot, but no extra data speed over regular LTE/4G, I believe it has to do with Vodafone testing it but not 100% live here yet. (I'm in Raheny on the Northside)

I just read that the Aviva stadium is 5G enabled so that might be a good spot for testing your 5G connection.
    I'm assuming that is not something that gets *switched off* when there's nothing on in the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lozzapozza

How does this compare with the Huawei P40 Pro?

• Advertisement

lozzapozza wrote: »
    How does this compare with the Huawei P40 Pro?

The Huawei is probably a little superior spec wise but it doesn't have Google services.

The P40 is basically a good but expensive camera at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭BlackMask93

JH_raheny wrote: »
    The Huawei is probably a little superior spec wise but it doesn't have Google services.

Not having Google Services is a killer blow, couldn't not have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Has anyone made a jump from the op7pro to op8pro? Looking to upgrade on my camera but unfortunately Google less Huawei is too much of a risk

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Has anyone made a jump from the op7pro to op8pro? Looking to upgrade on my camera but unfortunately Google less Huawei is too much of a risk

I went from 7pro to 8pro. Camera was great on the 7pro but is definately improved on the 8pro. Especially love night shots with it.

Think I'm going to go for one of these soon having looked at a load of reviews of different phones, if I buy from Amazon UK should I just be able to put my Three sim in and away I go? Or is there anywhere else I'd be better off buying from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

where is the best place/ cheapest to buy the 8 pro 12GB/256GB . I see varying prices online, are these different versions ?

like this for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi all I'm looking to buy a oneplus 8 it's the China model. Is anyone using one here on vf and if so does 5g work OK cheers all

massy086 wrote: »
    Hi all I'm looking to buy a oneplus 8 it's the China model. Is anyone using one here on vf and if so does 5g work OK cheers all

Anyone??

• Advertisement

If you read this thread you will notice that so far nobody has tested even the official IE variant on 5G for anything else than a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭captainneutron

From my experience the OnePlus 8 5G does not work on Vodafone Ireland 5G. Tested 2 sites where my Note 10 plus 5g got reception. In theory it should work because it does cover the N78 Bands.
    If you read this thread you will notice that so far nobody has tested even the official IE variant on 5G for anything else than a minute.

From my experience the OnePlus 8 5G does not work on Vodafone Ireland 5G. Tested 2 sites where my Note 10 plus 5g got reception. In theory it should work because it does cover the N78 Bands.
    can I ask is your phone a China or European model, and thanks for the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

OnePlus said on their website that for Ireland 5G isint enabled yet and it will be over updates in the future

OnePlus 8 EU IN2013 running on 10.5.1921BA

I've flashed the Global Rom now...if anything changes I'll let you know.

quote="massy086;114133545"]can I ask is your phone a China or European model, and thanks for the info[/quote]

OnePlus 8 EU IN2013 running on 10.5.1921BA

I've flashed the Global Rom now...if anything changes I'll let you know.

quote="massy086;114133545"]can I ask is your phone a China or European model, and thanks for the info
    [/quote]
    Cheers was hoping to upgrade my 7t but will want 5g

• Advertisement

No go on the international rom either I’m afraid. I know it supports the N78 band so it’s either Vodafone won’t allow it or software update from oneplus. Also WiFi calling and volte not supported. Pity such a great phone.

Cheers was hoping to upgrade my 7t but will want 5g[/quote]

No go on the international rom either I’m afraid. I know it supports the N78 band so it’s either Vodafone won’t allow it or software update from oneplus. Also WiFi calling and volte not supported. Pity such a great phone.

Cheers was hoping to upgrade my 7t but will want 5g
    [/quote]
    Have you contacted oneplus or Vodafone to try resolve this issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Wonder can anyone help.

I smashed the screen on my S9 today, so I think it's time to go 1+8pro. I can get it in the USA or here. Is there anything I need to consider if I get the USA one.

Couldn’t be bothered tbh. Where I’m living I’m getting 150mbs on 4g+ so that’s more than enough for now. I’d imagine only phones sold by Vodafone are compatible for now.
    Have you contacted oneplus or Vodafone to try resolve this issue[/quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

https://www.oneplus.com/ie/8-pro/specs?from=8pro

Check that link

Go to connectivity

Under Band there's a line

5G: n1, n3, n7, n28, n78

Then under it says

Note:Actual network and frequency band usage depends on local operator deployment. n1,n3,n7,n28 will be supported later through upgrades

In other words 5G on the OnePlus 8 / pro is not supported at the moment regardless of Vodafone, eir etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Here's a post from a thread on the subject over on the Oneplus Community on their website thats slightly related:

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/5g-not-available-if-using-two-sims.1237567/

Hello,

If your OnePlus 8 pro , OnePlus 8 or Oneplus 7T pro 5G is not connecting to 5G in 5G covered area .

# Use single 5G SIM card in number 1 slot.

Follow the steps here : 

Requirements:

1- install EngineerMode apk manually on your phone: http://www.mediafire.com/file/i72tnya1aawo09v/Engineeringmode_V1.01.0.apk/file

2- On you computer you need to have OnePlus driver installed:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/zkua1ob0dzaor09/OnePlus_USB_Driver_Setup.exe/file

3- QPST-application. Please find application from internet:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/ocpqez9whauy5w6/QPST_2.7.474.zip/file

4- The two XML files with enabled 5G network: http://www.mediafire.com/file/go0qava73eiz0m6/Carrier_Policy.zip/file

5- USB-cable between your computer and phone.

When you finish and ready:

1- On phone you have to dial to *#801# and enable Rndis, diag switch. Don’t enable Serial-interface if you have installed apk manually.

2- Connect your phone to your computer via USB.

3- Open then QPST-application.

4- On the menu Open Start Clients then QPST EFS Explorerand wait until you see the files.

5- Then go to policyman.

6- In the policyman - right list, you will see two file : carrier_policy.xml and carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01. Copy them to your computer as a backup if you need them in the feature.

7- Now delete the two files (carrier_policy.xml and carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01) files from the policyman - right list.

8- Now go to the tow XML files you already download earlier – 5G enabled network. Copy them to the policymandirectory , drop and drag one each time.

9- Reboot your phone , your 5G is enabled now.

On OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro you may have to enable 5G NR via *#*#4636#*#* then Phone Information -> Set preferred network type. Choose :

NR/LTE/TDSCDMA/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA

Or

NR/LTE/TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA

Enjoy the 5G speed :hearteyes::hearteyecat:

Very Big Thanks to:sunglasses::sunglasses:

1- Mr. Minh Truong:
    https://mt-tech.fi/en/modify-oneplus-7-pro-5g-8-and-8-pro-nr-lte-a-band-combos/

2- Mr. Abdullah Alshehri :
    https://twitter.com/AdAlShehri737

3- Mr. Mussab Alghamdi :
    https://twitter.com/MussabAlghamdi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

https://www.amazon.es/Tel%C3%A9fono-Ultramarino-Pantalla-Almacenamiento-Inal%C3%A1mbrica/dp/B07XY8V3K5/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_ES=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=oneplus%2B8%2Bpro&qid=1595850595&sr=8-1&th=1

Oneplus 8pro 256GB 12GB Ram on the Amazon Spain website for €889. Is this the best price around, and is there any hardware reason not to order this? (Other than the charger)

Got mine from wondamobile. Chinese version flashed with global rom. 100% perfect and same spec EU

quote="errlloyd;114146418"]https://www.amazon.es/Tel%C3%A9fono-Ultramarino-Pantalla-Almacenamiento-Inal%C3%A1mbrica/dp/B07XY8V3K5/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_ES=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=oneplus%2B8%2Bpro&qid=1595850595&sr=8-1&th=1

Oneplus 8pro 256GB 12GB Ram on the Amazon Spain website for €889. Is this the best price around, and is there any hardware reason not to order this? (Other than the charger)[/quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

ordered off eglobal 3 weeks ago , I fear the next model will be released before I get my phone !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Still rocking Oneplus one but recently part of the screen in the middle has died and doesn't respond to touch, so very frustrating to use.
    So plan to buy 8 or Nord but finding it very difficult to justify the price of 8 over Nord

To be fair there is significant difference in performance between 8 and Nord... Currently using an 8 Pro. But if coming from OnePlus One then the Nord will be a substantial update. I have the Nord and 8 also so I can back up my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Worth the extra then in your opinion? Not into gaming on phone. Camera, YouTube and browsing is the extent of my phone use

KilOit wrote: »
    Worth the extra then in your opinion? Not into gaming on phone. Camera, YouTube and browsing is the extent of my phone use

Camera on Nord is same as 8. 8 Pro camera and screen is on another level. Youtube and browsing on all devices will be fantastic. The Nord is a game changer for the price. But if you want best of the best then 8 Pro if u can swallow the price.

I've been holding off on the 8 for the Nord

But discovered the Nord is single sim only which knocks it off the table for me altogether

So now I'm hearing that the 8T and 8T Pro are on the way with 65KW charging and something else

So I think I'll hold out longer to see what that shows

I've been holding off on the 8 for the Nord

But discovered the Nord is single sim only which knocks it off the table for me altogether

So now I'm hearing that the 8T and 8T Pro are on the way with 65KW charging and something else

So I think I'll hold out longer to see what that shows

It is Dual Sim. Looking at it right here. And all literature online also says it's Dual SIM. Has exact same Sim tray one oneplus 8 almost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement