Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€100 for Tethering!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah, will get it sorted soon, thanks for the feedback :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

If you cant delete the hs apn can you just add the live apn? My phone was sim free and not vodafone branded and i could just add a new apn and set it as the default.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ah jaysus, I had previously been trying to delete it looking for a menu button on the list of APN's and long pressing each APN but nothing, then yesterday I just tapped it and it brought up a new screen which I was then able to delete it from. I turned on the hotspot but didn't have time to tether with the laptop so not sure if any data was even used, will try next time I have a chance but I guess that's it sorted. The HS is now gone and I'm only left with mms and live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Can I pick the tethering experts brains here please?

I'm off to France with the family for three weeks and want to use a PAYG SIM in an old phone to act as a Wifi hotspot for all the smartphones and tablets etc otherwise the roaming charges will bankrupt me!! Three UK have a "Feels like home" PAYG package with a months worth of all you can eat data in France for £15 which is amazing (just order the free SIM and have it sent to your PM address) but as with all great deals there is one tiny little catch which renders it potentially useless i.e. you cannot use it for tethering :-(

Is there any clever (Android) way to fool the network that the phone is not tethering when in fact it is tethering? I don't know what APN's the phone will create when I pop the new SIM into it and log onto the network on arrival in France. I'm competent enough with Android hacking and ROM flashing etc so I guess I could try deleting all APN's not being used when the phone is in normal data use mode but is that the only solution? Are there any apps/hack which guarantee that the phone won't report itself as tethering to the network I'll be roaming on (with my Three UK SIM) in France?

FYI here's a link to the offer from Three UK http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90699191&postcount=82

Ben

Advertisement