Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graduate jobs in the civil service (AO)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

ckone wrote: »
    Yes. Congrats to everyone who got an interview. Although there seems to be a lot less people on here saying they were successful than there were at the last stage. I completed the application for the Economics competition but I dont think my qualifications probably came near what they were looking for. Economics was a subject during my undergraduate and my Graduate Diploma. Just wondering what qualifications other people hold and whether they were successful or unsuccessful?

I would say the numbers will be small from this stage onwards. I have never heard of this type of app form before for the CS. Usually it is straight to the interview prep form.

I would say they are looking with somebody with a good combination of ed and work exp

Does anyone know when the Law and Tax people are going to be called to the next stage?

I just hope it is soon. This waiting around is killing me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

delricyo wrote: »
    Same with me - but they still wanted to see the Latin degree thingy !

Jesus, thery are in frames somewhere......I actually have to tear them out and bring them?

If I must!

noodler wrote: »
    Same with me - but they still wanted to see the Latin degree thingy !

Jesus, thery are in frames somewhere......I actually have to tear them out and bring them?

If I must!

Have a look at the email they sent you again.
    Years ago, the transcripts were good enough. I couldnt believe it when they said they needed the original when I applied the second time ! Had to remove from frame etc !!

But they may accept the transcripts now ? Don't quote me :)

Is it the economics post you are being interviewed for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Merp

Just got a text from publicjobs to advise it was only economics I had not been shortlisted for. I went for the banking/finance one so they obviously mean its only the one sub campaign rather than the whole campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Just got a text message from Public Jobs telling me that the short listing notification I got yesterday was for Economics only.

I presume they mean Banking/Finance as I didn't apply for economics.

Edit: and now a second text telling me to ignore the first one and that it is only banking and finance. They got there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

I got a rejection yesterday and today I got an interview notice for Banking and Finance.

I only applied for Economics and banking and Finance so it must have been an economics rejection yesterday. I thought it was both so I'm very happy to have got an interview today.

I've got a first class honours masters in Economics from UCD so I thought I'd be better qualified for the economics postion but I guess they must have had some very strong applicants. My work experience is more finance based though so they may have their selection more on experience.

it starts at 8am on Wed 25th Apr. I'm not a morning person at all so I don;t really think it's looking great for me ! :D

It seems mad they'd actually want the degree! It's doesn's say any results on mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Obwancan

Has anyone heard back about the law jobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Dancer656

Obwancan wrote: »
    Has anyone heard back about the law jobs?

No haven't heard anything, they're probably concentrating on the other campaigns first. I'm not too hopeful because I have zero experience but it was worth a try. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Yeah, I came 25th in the law category and havn't heard anything yet.
    Gonna be at a mad disadvantage as I'm a recent grad without any experience.
    Starting a masters in September so I'll be heading to that if this doesn't work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gareth178

got the same rejection notice there on thursday not sure what it's for as I filled out forms for HR and Economics. reading here i expect it's the Economics. not that surprised when i see some of the qualifications ppl here are talking about.

Has anyone received notification of an interview for the HR sub-campaign yet?

Also, congrats to any of ye who already got interview calls and the very best of luck in the presentation and interview.

@Lockstep, nope haven't heard anything bout the law sub-campaign yet, i got 85th on that hoping there may still be a chance on that one too !

How strong are the other candidates econometric skills and how much emphasis on it do you think there would be in an AO position?

I assume they use Stata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Obwancan

Is the salary for these jobs definitely 30k? Is that very low for qualified solicitors/ accountants ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Obwancan wrote: »
    Is the salary for these jobs definitely 30k? Is that very low for qualified solicitors/ accountants ?

That is what was on the applications. I am thinking that qualified solicitors or accountants would be possibly over qualified for these positions and would be able to get much better money elsewhere but there is the lure of the civil service (permanent, pensionable, shorter working hours etc)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Will the job specs be less insanely specific next year?

• Advertisement

Denerick wrote: »
    Will the job specs be less insanely specific next year?

Who knows ? Nobody :)

Nobody knows if there will be any competitions any time in the near future. The days of holding large open CS competitions are on hold for the foreseeable future, I would say.

There may be competitions for EO in the future. Personally, I cant see any another AO competition for a good while after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

For economics, I had the perfect degree and masters, and a year of civil service experience, and I didn't get an interview. I assume that without proper economics work experience you won't be getting through to interview.

Pretty disappointing to be honest. I feel like calling the roles 'graduate' roles is a bit misleading. More like 'AO roles for professionals qualified to masters level'.

For economics, I had the perfect degree and masters, and a year of civil service experience, and I didn't get an interview. I assume that without proper economics work experience you won't be getting through to interview.

Pretty disappointing to be honest. I feel like calling the roles 'graduate' roles is a bit misleading. More like 'AO roles for professionals qualified to masters level'.

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you had good qualifications and some experience. They seem to be moving the goalposts with these jobs.

Back in the day, you would get an EO position as a school leaver. They are pretty much looking for a degree for that now.
    I wouldnt be surprised if they started looking for a master's and 5 years experience for AO :)

On the feedback they will let you know what they are looking for. You should be in a good position for the next competition (as long as this competition hasn't pit you off :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

It just would've been nice to get a chance at interview! I still have a chance in the HR campaign, which my experience is more relevant to, so it'll be interesting to see if there's a difference in how I get on in that sub-campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bij

It just would've been nice to get a chance at interview! I still have a chance in the HR campaign, which my experience is more relevant to, so it'll be interesting to see if there's a difference in how I get on in that sub-campaign.

It is just the method used, I am sure there are people who are better qualified in HR or finance or whatever catergory but because they got to number 110 or 150 in the exam they won't get a chance to even fill out an application with their qualifications and experience, cest la vie.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

bij wrote: »
    It is just the method used, I am sure there are people who are better qualified in HR or finance or whatever catergory but because they got to number 110 or 150 in the exam they won't get a chance to even fill out an application with their qualifications and experience, cest la vie.

Not necessarily the case. I think NOODLER said he was ranked in the 200s for Economics and he was called for interview. A lot of people applied for several sub-campaigns. So people near the cut off point still have a chance.

Just wondering if anybody has enquired re: tax policy comp recently ?
    I don't want to be hassling PAS too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NiMiami

I have an interview for economics position next week. I have only just completed my masters exams so I obviously do not have an official certificate. Are other people bringing their transcripts or some other official document?
    Wonder when the jobs will commence?!

NiMiami wrote: »
    I have an interview for economics position next week. I have only just completed my masters exams so I obviously do not have an official certificate. Are other people bringing their transcripts or some other official document?

You have not got the results yet then?

I thought it said that only qualifications achieved by February would be counted but I assume you have a BA or other primary degree so I would bring your transcripts of that.

I haven't emailed to ask (wanna do it for me?) but some people here have said they actually want your original degree (the actual latin) to photocopy for whatever that is worth. Either way I would bring you transcript of your BA and possibly degree. Maybe email them and ask what you can do about the MA? Maybe you can bring in your confirmation of registration form?

EDIT: I think the jobs in the new PER unit begin in May according to a new article I read a while back.

noodler wrote: »
    NiMiami wrote: »

You have not got the results yet then?

I thought it said that only qualifications achieved by February would be counted but I assume you have a BA or other primary degree so I would bring your transcripts of that.

I haven't emailed to ask (wanna do it for me?) but some people here have said they actually want your original degree (the actual latin) to photocopy for whatever that is worth. Either way I would bring you transcript of your BA and possibly degree. Maybe email them and ask what you can do about the MA? Maybe you can bring in your confirmation of registration form?

EDIT: I think the jobs in the new PER unit begin in May according to a new article I read a while back.

That was me who mentioned they require the Latin degree. But that was 4 years ago. It could have changed back by now !

Just wondering if anybody has enquired re: tax policy comp recently ?
    I don't want to be hassling PAS too much :)

For anybody waiting on tax policy next stage : I got an email back to say that they are still awaiting the finalised app form from Finance. They haven't decided on numbers for round 3 yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭anbodhran

Has anyone gone to interview tet? If so how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 footlose

Just wondering have people been called for the interview stage yet and if so is it a group interview or presentation there does not seem to be much said in relation to the next stage here yet

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

168 in accounting.have I any chance of getting an interview

jayteecork wrote: »
    168 in accounting.have I any chance of getting an interview

You will probs have to get through the app form stage next. Depends on what PAS decide, 168 could be high enough to get the app form

Nobody knows yet ...

• Advertisement

I've been called for the Banking and Finance interview. As far as I know it's only Economics and Banking and Finance that have been called so far.

It's a presentation followed by an interview. I've to be there at 8am for presentation prep and it'll be 12:30 before I'll be out of there. So it's going to be a long morning!

I really hope it'll be worth all this effort in the end. 2 days leave taken for it so far!

That is serious.

Where are the interviews being held? Is it a group thing?
    aidom wrote: »
    I've been called for the Banking and Finance interview. As far as I know it's only Economics and Banking and Finance that have been called so far.

It's a presentation followed by an interview. I've to be there at 8am for presentation prep and it'll be 12:30 before I'll be out of there. So it's going to be a long morning!

I really hope it'll be worth all this effort in the end. 2 days leave taken for it so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 obeara

footlose wrote: »
    That is serious.

Where are the interviews being held? Is it a group thing?

Interviews are on in the PAS building on Abbey Street.

Not a group thing. Its an individual presentation to a panel followed by an interview.

I'm on this week for banking/finance as well.

Anybody done it it yet? Just wondering how long the interview is...

obeara wrote: »
    Interviews are on in the PAS building on Abbey Street.

Not a group thing. Its an individual presentation to a panel followed by an interview.

I'm on this week for banking/finance as well.

Anybody done it it yet? Just wondering how long the interview is...

Do you know what the presentation is on or is it show up and be given one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 obeara

footlose wrote: »
    Do you know what the presentation is on or is it show up and be given one?

From their email inviting to interview:

"For the presentation exercise you will be given information concerning
    different sides of an argument. Having analysed the material you must
    decide what course of action to follow. This forms the basis of your
    presentation.

You will have one hour to examine the documentation and to write a brief
    note on your recommendations. You will then have up to 15 minutes to make
    an uninterrupted oral presentation to a panel of assessors outlining your
    decision and the rationale behind it. A further 15 minutes will be
    available to the assessors to seek clarification and ask you questions."

Tax Policy emails just out....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Merp wrote: »

Did they say how many they are calling?

LillySV wrote: »

No sorry, just the stage 3 application form and return details.

Typical. The tax applications come out the day after I accept a tax position in the private sector.

Having spent the last 4 years working the the Australian public sector I think it's time to try the other side of the coin...although if the PS recruitment process had been shorter who knows what I would have done.

Good luck to everyone who's still in!

• Advertisement

Typical. The tax applications come out the day after I accept a tax position in the private sector.

Having spent the last 4 years working the the Australian public sector I think it's time to try the other side of the coin...although if the PS recruitment process had been shorter who knows what I would have done.

Good luck in the job ! Personally, I think they are moving very quickly for this competition.

I'm sure there will be more competitions in a couple of years if you get tired of the "other side" :)

Did you get an invite to stage 3 ? What position were you in the tax policy ?

LillySV wrote: »

Nothing in my inbox just yet. Hopefully some good news will great me in my inbox in the morning :)

Is it a similar form to the economics one. That is, concentrating more on academic quals and work exp ? Or is it an interview prep form ?

Good luck in the job ! Personally, I think they are moving very quickly for this competition.

I'm sure there will be more competitions in a couple of years if you get tired of the "other side" :)

Did you get an invite to stage 3 ? What position were you in the tax policy ?

It's all relative I suppose. It's quick for the Irish PS but it's still a long and drawn out process. Even the fact that it's referred to as a 'competition' really annoys me.

I did get the email for Stage 3 and I was 38 in tax policy. It's a similar form to the banking/finance one. Fewer buzz words that you have to relate your experience to though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nothing in my inbox just yet. Hopefully some good news will great me in my inbox in the morning :)

Is it a similar form to the economics one. That is, concentrating more on academic quals and work exp ? Or is it an interview prep form ?

Are they definitely out? There is nothing in my inbox either. We all got the e-mails at the same time for the banking and finance whether progressing or not?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Are they definitely out? There is nothing in my inbox either. We all got the e-mails at the same time for the banking and finance whether progressing or not?

As this stage involves the sending of a mail - instead of an automated message to your publicjobs account, it might take a while to send all the mails ?

That's what I'm hoping for anyway :)

Id say they take a bit longer to get through everyone as the emails arent automated as ye mentioned. Defo got my one anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

Got mine too. Will fill it in at the weekend.

Anyone have their banking interview yet? Do the presentations require specialised knowledge or are they job simulation or something? Just wondering so I can get an idea as to what to expect at the tax interview (should I be lucky enough to get one)

They are only taking 100 to the next stage of tax policy

F**k it :(

They are only taking 100 to the next stage of tax policy

F**k it :(

Seems to be the same for them all. Nothing to say that they won't open it up further later on

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gareth178

yeah, got mine there and have filled it out today and sent it back. hopefully i'll fare better in this than in the economics one, no joy at next stage with that :(

I had my Banking interview yesterday morning.

The presentation didn't require any specialist knowledge. You're given a briefing pack on which to make your decision and told to base your findings entirely on what's in the pack and not use outside knowledge.

It wasn't too bad. They ask some tough questions and challenge you to back up everything you say but I wouldn't expect anyless really.

Interview itself was only about 35 min.

They told me that as far as they knew it was the last stage and if I reached the qualifying mark in both the interview and presentation then I would be on the panel. They did seem a bit unsure though so it's not definite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement