Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland & the Single Market post Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    It already sails from Rosslare though, right? They would just be shifting their existing capacity from the UK sailing to a continent sailing.

Yes, but not if the intention is to redirect the Dublin-Holyhead freight to Rosslare for direct transfer to the Continent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Update from Revenue:

Good evening all,

Following extensive engagement with trade and business it is clear that significant numbers of businesses are submitting customs declarations, which returns the associated MRN’s within seconds and are using these to create and populate the relevant Pre-Boarding Notification (PBN) without any issues. Revenue ICT systems are fully operational and stable and working as intended, with thousands of customs declarations having been processed in the last number of days.
    However, Revenue recognises the some businesses are experiencing difficulties in lodging their safety & security ENS declaration in respect of RoRo goods movements. In response, Revenue is implementing a temporary easement to alleviate these current difficulties. The following MRN can be used, from now, on a temporary basis as your ENS MRN where you are unable to generate same due to the absence of key information or because of other impediments that prevent you completing the ENS process. This will facilitate the completion of your customs formalities, the creation and population of the PBN and ultimately boarding of the ferry for movement of your goods.
    ENS MRN detail = 21IE99900000000001
    Take-up of this temporary facilitation will be a signal to Revenue that you need support. If you avail of this facilitation you are required to provide contact details to ENSenquiry@revenue.ie. An expert Revenue team has been set up to provide practical guidance, to trade and business to upskill relevant staff, to ensure all businesses currently experiencing difficulties in completing a valid ENS declaration can develop the capability to lodge ENS declarations after the temporary facilitation period. This team will be in place from 8 January and will be available from 8am to 8pm.
    We expect trade and business with genuine difficulties that are impeding their ability to complete the ENS process to engage with Revenue in a cooperative endeavour to overcome their difficulties. A failure to engage may result in this temporary easement being withdrawn, so early engagement with Revenue is strongly encouraged.
    Please remember that the existing helpline channels remain open for queries, these are
    ENS related queries to: ENSenquiries@revenue.ie
    Systems queries to: eCustoms@revenue.ie
    PBN queries to: PBNqueries@revenue.ie
    General Brexit queries to: brexitqueries@revenue.ie
    Brexit National helpline: 01-73383685

Kind Regards,

Ray Ryan

Brexit Unit
    Customs Division
    Web: www.revenue.ie/brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Been reading that a lot of UK retailers only waking up to rules of origin requirements when shipping to Ireland..

Can't just sell on their Asian imports to Ireland and wherever..

Plenty opportunity for Irish importers..

Seems like many bought in to the notion that a deal would mean pretty much everything stays the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Just FYI, there is an extensive thread in Consumer Issues dealing specifically with Amazon and Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

lawred2 wrote: »
    Been reading that a lot of UK retailers only waking up to rules of origin requirements when shipping to Ireland..

Can't just sell on their Asian imports to Ireland and wherever.

This is an area where both the EU and the UK Gov't have been very slow to issue really clear guidance. I queried this very point on this thread just after the deal was announced, particularly with regard to (e.g.) Amazon Marketplace sellers using the .co.uk platform to sell Asian imports back into the EU. Despite being somewhat primed (:rolleyes:) to pick up on any such clarification, I'm hearing nothing in plain English from either side ... and I'm still being offered products of non-EU, non-GB origin for purchase from the UK.

• Advertisement

They can sell much of their Asian imports into Ireland, they will just be subject to customs, duties, standards certification etc. where appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

They can sell much of their Asian imports into Ireland, they will just be subject to customs, duties, standards certification etc. where appropriate.

Yes, but do they know that and are they doing it? Or are they sticking all their non-GB-made products into a parcel, making a vague, inaccurate declaration on the CN22/23 form and sending it through the post as if nothing has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,139 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's the importer who is liable for any duty, VAT, etc. In a consumer transaction that's the consumer in Ireland who has ordered the stuff. You'll order (and pay for) good worth say €150 and then get a note saying that there's a package waiting for delivery and you need to pay (say) €9 duty, €32 VAT and a handling fee of €18 before they'll deliver.

Of course this will start to adversely affect the UK sellers fairly quickly; Irish customers will stop ordering from them. But it's the first instance it's the Irish consumers who will be hit with delays, taxes and charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Hurrache wrote: »
    Saw this today which I suspect will catch many out. I've had a fair bit of equipment delivered from them myself over the last year, and I checked this morning and see that when you go as far as the basket the summary will tell you it includes VAT, but without an actual VAT amount in the breakdown, and no message that you will be liable for tax upon delivery.

https://twitter.com/Noelle_OC/status/1347158625278636034

If she ordered from an EU based online store and the company insisted on shipping from a U.K. based distribution centre, she should try taking them to the Small Claims Court.

The company have had years to figure out that they would need to supply EU based customers from EU based distribution centres to avoid issues for their customers with customs. They can’t say they didn’t know what was coming since this was flagged for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It's the importer who is liable for any duty, VAT, etc. In a consumer transaction that's the consumer in Ireland who has ordered the stuff. You'll order (and pay for) good worth say €150 and then get a note saying that there's a package waiting for delivery and you need to pay (say) €9 duty, €32 VAT and a handling fee of €18 before they'll deliver.

Of course this will start to adversely affect the UK sellers fairly quickly; Irish customers will stop ordering from them. But it's the first instance it's the Irish consumers who will be hit with delays, taxes and charges.

If they are aware they are buying from the UK.

i use Ebay a good lot, Ebay.ie,. In the past i have used UK suppliers on Ebay.
    Now i wish to restrict myself to items within the EU , but Ebay is still putting UK suppliers into EU. So I can select a seller, think it is EU and only find out it is outside EU when I click to pay. This is inconvenient at the least but is also very misleading. Ebay will not cancel these sales so you are relying on the goodwill of the sellers.

I have contacted the Irish CCPC , who have washed there hand of it as Ebay.ie is not an Irish registered company. I have contacted the ECC-Ireland but they wont take action either on a general issue like this, they want to deal with an actual purchase and they require everything in writing.

So EU have not made it easy for Irish consumers to restrict their purchased to EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Gerry T wrote: »
    As said this will mean alternative suppliers in the irish market yo fill the gap, hence keeping money in IRL. I dont see a down side

i agree maybe now it makes more sense for irish online retailers

but for the buyer ,it will mean less choice and less competiton and volume is higher prices .
    with the low pound most of the times i did buy from uk sellers.

not to mention the 2nd hand market that has been kind of ruined for irish buyer. many germans dont use pay pal and shipping costs from france and italy scandinavia usually sky high. and the irish market is just too small

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Update from Revenue:

RTE news article:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0108/1188441-revenue-eases-customs-requirements/
    "However, we expected challenges such as this to arise where trade and or business didn't make the necessary advance planning arrangements that we have strongly advocated over at least the last two years," Revenue said.

"We made it very clear in our engagements with industry that real, permanent and immediate changes would arise. Those who are having difficulties is the outworking of that warning," it said.

Amazing stuff there. The lively hand of the state vs dead hand of the (formerly?) free market? :confused:

Looks like many caught napping on something that has really been on the way since that Theresa May speech (2017) about UK leaving main EU structures as part of "Brexit means Brexit" (Customs Union & Single Market).

Seems refeshers may be needed that though we speak English as our mother tongue, watch UK telly + follow all the UK sports, we are not actually part of the United Kingdom!

fly_agaric wrote: »
    RTE news article:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0108/1188441-revenue-eases-customs-requirements/

Amazing stuff there. The lively hand of the state vs dead hand of the (formerly?) free market? :confused:

Looks like many caught napping on something that has really been on the way since that Theresa May speech (2017) about UK leaving main EU structures as part of "Brexit means Brexit" (Customs Union & Single Market).

Seems refeshers may be needed that though we speak English as our mother tongue, watch UK telly + follow all the UK sports, we are not actually part of the United Kingdom!

It's an absolute sh*tshow at the moment and complete silence from the government. There is now less than 5% of the usual levels of freight coming into the country and all the hauliers are tearing their hair out.

A full load of chicken was Ireland bound yesterday and had to be returned back to the processor because the vet wouldn't seal the trailer at the distribution centre over a labelling issue (labelled as EU product rather than UK) - every box on the 22 pallets have to be relabelled as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's an absolute sh*tshow at the moment and complete silence from the government. There is now less than 5% of the usual levels of freight coming into the country and all the hauliers are tearing their hair out.

A full load of chicken was Ireland bound yesterday and had to be returned back to the processor because the vet wouldn't seal the trailer at the distribution centre over a labelling issue (labelled as EU product rather than UK) - every box on the 22 pallets have to be relabelled as a result.

that an established fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭Gerry T

grayzer75 wrote:
    From what Govt, do you mean the UK ? It seems irish exports are moving to the uk far better than the other way, problem sits on the UK side it would seem.
    Your talking about UK freight to IRL, most EU freight to IRL has been moved to direct shipping as IRL did make changes over the past 4 yrs.
    grayzer75 wrote:
    like i said UK problem, nothing we can do. But im sure the express and sun will be along soon blaming the bullying EU on the changes to uk exports to punish them or how france is delaying everthing deliberatly.

lawred2 wrote: »
    that an established fact?

From haulier movements point of view yes - nothing is moving and they're losing their bollox because of it.

I'll put it to you this way, never mind Covid but now would be a good time to buy a few extra bog rolls just in case.

It's all going to escalate very shortly if there's not a quick improvement.

Gerry T wrote: »
    From what Govt, do you mean the UK ? It seems irish exports are moving to the uk far better than the other way, problem sits on the UK side it would seem.
    Your talking about UK freight to IRL, most EU freight to IRL has been moved to direct shipping as IRL did make changes over the past 4 yrs.

like i said UK problem, nothing we can do. But im sure the express and sun will be along soon blaming the bullying EU on the changes to uk exports to punish them or how france is delaying everthing deliberatly.

Most of EU to Ireland still comes through UK as there is nowhere near enough capacity on direct routes and the landbridge is quicker/cheaper.

There won't be much movement from Irl to UK very soon as all the trailers are sitting in the UK at them moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There is now less than 5% of the usual levels of freight coming into the country and all the hauliers are tearing their hair out.

I doubt your claim. However there was always an expected reduction in freight because of the increased number of freight leading up to December to both stockpile and get ahead of any possible delays in the new year.

I doubt your claim. However there was always an expected reduction in freight because of the increased number of freight leading up to December to both stockpile and get ahead of any possible delays in the new year.

Doubt all you want.

Example from this morning: Lidl Carrickmacross - staff arrive into store at 5am for delivery to replenish stocks of produce to be told the truck is still at the Doncaster distribution centre in the UK. Staff sent home at 9am rather than their usual finish of 2pm.

I'm in contact with someone on a Brexit team for a company and he regularly mentions how many of their trucks are stopped. It's happening, but certainly not at 5% of what it was previously.

1 truck missing from Lidl doesn't mean that there's less than 5% of shipments getting through.

• Advertisement

It's an absolute sh*tshow at the moment and complete silence from the government.

If you mean Irish government (Irish site & all that) they IMO really did their best to inform, advise, offer help etc. to business over last 4 years. What is there to say?

I posted on other thread yesterday (got deleted in the thread split) that if businesses are still having problems now despite all the warnings, maybe the government should have intervened directly to force changes given it must have been cheaper/easier for businesses to do nothing about the risk till the evil day comes. Too late for that to help with disruption in the short term though.

I'm in contact with someone on a Brexit team for a company and he regularly mentions how many of their trucks are stopped. It's happening, but certainly not at 5% of what it was previously.

1 truck missing from Lidl doesn't mean that there's only 5% of shipments getting through.

I said there is currently 5% of the usual movements getting through because nothing is moving.

I gave you one example of what's widely happening in the supermarkets.

I'm sitting in the transport office of a haulage company so I know first hand what is happening - the sh*t is about to hit the fan from the hauliers as they are losing moving hand over first without movements.

We would easily have 10 trucks per day tipping loads out of the UK, it's now Friday and we've had 3 all week.

We would easily have 10 trucks per day tipping loads out of the UK, it's now Friday and we've had 3 all week.

That would seem to the fault of your clients and the British government though?

Take a look at the jokers in M&S for example, they can't even get their goods into the north due to their monumental procrastination about being in any way proactive.

https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1347512234520539137

fly_agaric wrote: »
    If you mean Irish government (Irish site & all that) they IMO really did their best to inform, advise, offer help etc. to business over last 4 years. What is there to say?

I posted on other thread yesterday (got deleted in the thread split) that if businesses are still having problems now despite all the warnings, maybe the government should have intervened directly to force changes given it must have been cheaper/easier for businesses to do nothing about the risk till the evil day comes. Too late for that to help with disruption in the short term though.

Maybe if the Irish government had the ball to call out the UK over what's going on at the moment it would help. And contrary to what Revenue are saying, their systems are working very well either.

Maybe if the Irish government had the ball to call out the UK over what's going on at the moment it would help.

If anyone was following Brexit and the discussions involved, even in the slightest, they'd have seen the weekly, almost daily, criticism from the Irish government and state bodies about what it was going to lead to.

That would seem to the fault of your clients and the British government though?

Take a look at the jokers in M&S for example, they can't even get their goods into the north due to their monumental procrastination about being in any way proactive.

https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1347512234520539137

Our clients are the major supermarkets and distributors both sides of the Irish sea. The hauliers are being pushed very close to the edge on this and the first thing that will impact is the cost of transporting the goods into Ireland so you can expect price rises in the not to distant future if this continues.

That's Brexit for you, should be absolutely no news or surprise to anyone, particularly those in the industry.

If anyone was following Brexit and the discussions involved, even in the slightest, they'd have seen the weekly, almost daily, criticism from the Irish government and state bodies about what it was going to lead to.

I haven't heard a thing since the 1st of January now that we're in the middle of this mess.

Maybe if the Irish government had the ball to call out the UK over what's going on at the moment it would help.

I'm not at coal face of this (as you seem to be given your posts) but I doubt it myself. The UK government does not seem to be in a cooperative & helpful mood of late. (well I say of late, but its been getting worse for years now of course) :(

• Advertisement

I haven't heard a thing since the 1st of January now that we're in the middle of this mess.

There's been plenty of comment, but the reality is that it's all on the British government and those who have been unprepared.

Advertisement