Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to run buses and trains on the 25/26th Dec?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

As someone who's had to work on Christmas Day I think people should have the day off to spend it with their families.
    The lack of public transport is probably a key factor in companies staying closed on the day.
    If you want your staff to come in you might have to pay for expensive taxis, which wouldn't make it worth their while for a lot of companies.
    Provide buses/trains/trams and you'd probably start to see that change.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've been on call at Christmas since 2007. There's very few careers left that actually shut down fully for even the one day let alone two or more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

People in security, contract cleaning, newspapers, television, the esb, air traffic control, data centre staff, telecoms engineers, petrol station employees, hotel staff, nursing home staff, some finance companies dealing with asia and the UAE,

There are also tonnes of support services like homeless organisations (I work for one so obviously know loads working over the last few days), residential homes for kids/ people with disabilities, drug and alcohol services, etc. I have worked christmas day while not driving and have had to rely on my family or taxis for lifts, it is such a hassle. I have been working shiftwork for years so it annoys me when people get so precious about poor unfortunates getting "one day off a year". There are way more people than anyone realises working around christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Let anyone that wants their precious day off have it, there are not shortages of people prepared to accept the premium wages to operate services that day for those that want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,642 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Did you ever see a spoiled child who kicks up a fuss when he doesn't get his way?
    Well I'll call Christmas and almost everything being shut down as the grinches not getting their way.
    So tough **** to you, deal with it. There are plenty of things and times I can't get my way and I just accept it and move on. You do the same, or if you actually try and get into it instead you might find it's a wonderful thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

eagle eye wrote: »
    And let's have no oxygen in yours and do us all a favour.

Stay classy. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

magentis wrote: »
    I believe a major issue with IE operating on the 26th is the need for line checks to be done on Christmas day?

Is the Luas not subject to similar checks?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

It's embarrassing that the country has to stop tbh. It should really be a normal working day for everyone. People who are not religious celebrating what they spend the other 363 days complaining about is not a valid reason to shut the country down.

If you want to celebrate Christmas you should do so in your own time like other people of different religions have to do while continuing to work.

If you want to celebrate Christmas you should do so in your own time like other people of different religions have to do while continuing to work.
    No, if you want to celebrate a festival that isn't celebrated here then go live where it is if you are not happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Not everyone being a 9 to 5er with Christmas Day and Stephens' Day off. There was some annoyed calls on foot of an interview with an IE spokesperson that they had to get taxis to get to work on those dates. Maybe some sort of limited services, does every other European country and city shut down at that time?

Thoughts?
    No, leave it as it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Stephen15 wrote: »
    They are all running tomorrow except Irish Rail. I don't understand why IE don't run on Stephen's Day considering every other operator is.

Did DB not operate a skeleton service on Christmas Day years ago but no one used it? I struggle to see any real demand for public transport on Christmas Day considering nearly every shop, restaurant or pub is shut. The vast majority of people aren't working there might be a small few working but everyone manages it's one day of the year.

he amount of money that would have to be paid out to drivers and other essential staff in overtime would make it not worthwhile and quite frankly a waste of money.

It wouldn't be overtime if it fell on their rostered day. They just get a day in lieu for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

eagle eye wrote: »
    Did you ever see a spoiled child who kicks up a fuss when he doesn't get his way?
    Well I'll call Christmas and almost everything being shut down as the grinches not getting their way.
    So tough **** to you, deal with it. There are plenty of things and times I can't get my way and I just accept it and move on. You do the same, or if you actually try and get into it instead you might find it's a wonderful thing.

You’ve got no friends, it’s sad but the funniest thing is we be your friends but your obnoxious gene just pushes through:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It's embarrassing that the country has to stop tbh. It should really be a normal working day for everyone. People who are not religious celebrating what they spend the other 363 days complaining about is not a valid reason to shut the country down.

How's it embarassing?

You’ve got no friends, it’s sad but the funniest thing is we be your friends but your obnoxious gene just pushes through:
    I've loads of friends and family. I'm not religious but accept that others are.
    Christmas for me has nothing to do with religion. I understand it originated within religion but it's a huge time for kids now and for family getting together.
    It's a wonderful time of the year, except for the amount of money that women spend!, and I don't want that to change.
    If you don't like it then book a sun holiday or something like that. I don't care, I'm.against it changing. As I said earlier I'd be all for turning off the internet on Christmas day.
    Problem today is the little brats that have grown up and want everything their way. Well imo you can go **** right off for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

We've had a referenduum on abortion, on gay marraige, we've stopped locking up women in laundries, we've very much taken the 'catholic' out of 'good ol 'catholic' Ireland' , but ofcourse the last bastian to hold on is the civil servants and the state transport workers, protected to the hilt by fatcat unions and refusing to do a tap more than their grandad who got their father a job and them a job did.

Good idea, have a referendum to abolish Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,992 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it absolutely is . the majority likely don't wish to work on the 25th of december, so they should not be forced to.

if you want to work christmas day so badly, then by all means volunteer to do so. however others should not be expected to have to work when there is no need, because other people of other faiths may have to do so. especially when christmas is a cultural tradition rather then a religious tradition these days. effectively it's a national bank holiday.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly the rails open all but 2 days of the year and people will still give out about something. Noones gonna give up christmas day period and as for stevens day your honestly gonna need to get agreement on that for alot of people. which noone will get since you wnt get enough people to agree unless theres a sognificant amount of money involved. Busses running on stevens day is only something recent too, most places up until a few years ago didnt even open on the 26th.

Honestly people will rant about anything nowadays....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

In London Xmas is when a lot of heavy rail maintenance gets done . Its rostered work and planned miles in advance - it has to be done then as that is when the system is shut down there would be several shifts working 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭SteM

Let anyone that wants their precious day off have it, there are not shortages of people prepared to accept the premium wages to operate services that day for those that want them.

The question is 'Is it time to run buses and trains on the 25/26th Dec?'

If you're a transport company you can't go to your staff and say who want work that day for premium wages. What if 40% of them say yes - do you run a service at 40%? What if 60% of the 40% are mechanics or admin staff that say yes. Then you have more non-drivers than drivers, how would that work?

Management either have to make the decision that they are running a public transport service or not, they can't leave it in the hands of the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Will ye just **** off and let people have a day off. Bus travel isn't essential and the drivers put up with enough **** during the year, why should they have to work Christmas day?
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    How many people are actually working working today apart from Firemen, Gardai and Ambulance crews?

I don't think that people have any real clue of how many people actually do work Christmas day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

This is from Transport for London,

https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/major-works-and-events/christmas-travel

Travel changes and information
    Between Saturday 22 December 2018 and Tuesday 1 January 2019, planned works and service changes may affect your journey.

Key service changes will include:

No services on Christmas Day except for Santander Cycles, Dial-a-Ride (for registered members only), Taxi and Private Hire and coaches which are available throughout the Christmas period
    No London Overground, TfL Rail or Thames Clippers services on Boxing Day
    Dial-a-Ride services will run throughout the Christmas season (for registered members), but are limited on certain days and are subject to different booking dates
    Changes to frequency and timetable of most services during this period
    Free travel
    There will be free travel on TfL services from 23:45 on New Year's Eve until 04.30 on New Year's Day (except on Thames Clippers and Emirates Air Line ).

Information
    Check before you travel and plan ahead using our travel tools. See:

The latest status updates for Tube, rail, DLR and Trams
    Status updates for roads
    Plan a journey, which can help you plan your route by public transport, cycling or walking
    Nearby, which uses your current location or a postcode or address of your choice and places you on a map, showing you Tube, bus, river, London Overground, DLR, TfL Rail and Santander Cycles locations around you
    @TfLTrafficNews as well as the TfL Travelbot on Facebook Messenger
    Our email updates
    Daily travel advice
    Find out more about travelling on the following days:

Sunday 23 December
    Christmas Eve
    Christmas Day
    Boxing Day
    Thursday 27 December
    Friday 28 December
    Saturday 29 December
    Sunday 30 December
    New Year's Eve
    New Year's Day
    Wednesday 2 January
    Updates
    All information is subject to change. We'll be updating this page regularly with more detail of what's running over Christmas and New Year.

Last updated: Friday 21 December 2018

Share on social media
    Major works & events navigation
    Baker Street roadworks
    E-W Cycle Superhighway travel advice
    Christmas travel navigation
    Sunday 23 December 2018
    Christmas Eve 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I'm in NYC for Christmas week. Christmas day itself was a Sunday timetable on the subway. Trains every 7 minutes on average, with a regular weekday timetable on the 26th.

Fantastic service to have. Loads of places open. Christmas dinner with the family in Chinatown was possible thanks to the boys and girls in the MTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

So we are agreed. No more national holidays!:)

Looks like a few people can't even take christmas day off a year from moaning about the public service, have ye no family ye can moan at?

Private sector employee btw, I work for a multinational with a worldwide presence, the company closes worldwide on Christmas day and Stevens Day is triple pay if you want to work it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just the usual bout of hypocrisy.

How dare any one expect some people to work 25 December but I expect to have people working in hospitals, the ESB, etc. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I think a limited service on 26th December should operate however the NTA should review demand and not IE who claim to constantly review demand but always decide against it.

This week was a lost opportunity for the roof in Pearse station instead an extra 3-6 weekends will be closed instead of using 5-6 days this week and over the next year or two.

Advertisement