Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to run buses and trains on the 25/26th Dec?

Options
  • 25-12-2018 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,887 ✭✭✭✭

Not everyone being a 9 to 5er with Christmas Day and Stephens' Day off. There was some annoyed calls on foot of an interview with an IE spokesperson that they had to get taxis to get to work on those dates. Maybe some sort of limited services, does every other European country and city shut down at that time?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Not everyone being a 9 to 5er with Christmas Day and Stephens' Day off. There was some annoyed calls on foot of an interview with an IE spokesperson that they had to get taxis to get to work on those dates. Maybe some sort of limited services, does every other European country and city shut down at that time?

Thoughts?

Is there no buses at all tomorrow? I thought they’d be running on Sunday hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Thoughts?

Christmas Day - No

St. Stephen's day - limited service for those working and going to shops late start early finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Thoughts?

What's stopping private transport companies offering a service on Xmas day?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

We've had a referenduum on abortion, on gay marraige, we've stopped locking up women in laundries, we've very much taken the 'catholic' out of 'good ol 'catholic' Ireland' , but ofcourse the last bastian to hold on is the civil servants and the state transport workers, protected to the hilt by fatcat unions and refusing to do a tap more than their grandad who got their father a job and them a job did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Will ye just **** off and let people have a day off. Bus travel isn't essential and the drivers put up with enough **** during the year, why should they have to work Christmas day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Most services are running Sunday hours but unfortunately it means nothing to those who may have to be work for 9. I'm lucky that the company runs a bus/pays people to pick up others during Bank Holidays and I'm on an expressway route into the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

We've had a referenduum on abortion, on gay marraige, we've stopped locking up women in laundries, we've very much taken the 'catholic' out of 'good ol 'catholic' Ireland' , but ofcourse the last bastian to hold on is the civil servants and the state transport workers, protected to the hilt by fatcat unions and refusing to do a tap more than their grandad who got their father a job and them a job did.

What absolute nonsense. Nearly every business is closed on Christmas union or no union. Luas, Go-Ahead, Aircoach and nearly every other private operator isn't running services either today and most are operating tomorrow apart from Irish Rail so you can't say it's something exclusive to CIE companies

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Is there no buses at all tomorrow? I thought they’d be running on Sunday hours.

They are all running tomorrow except Irish Rail. I don't understand why IE don't run on Stephen's Day considering every other operator is.

Did DB not operate a skeleton service on Christmas Day years ago but no one used it? I struggle to see any real demand for public transport on Christmas Day considering nearly every shop, restaurant or pub is shut. The vast majority of people aren't working there might be a small few working but everyone manages it's one day of the year.

he amount of money that would have to be paid out to drivers and other essential staff in overtime would make it not worthwhile and quite frankly a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Will ye just **** off and let people have a day off. Bus travel isn't essential and the drivers put up with enough **** during the year, why should they have to work Christmas day?

Because thousands of their customers are working. Its not like a person who works has to work 24/7 365, they have other days off

Licences. They can't run on the routes assigned to other companies so they won't be able to pick up any passengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The Bus Eireann/Dublin bus mafia. There was a direct service that served Celbridge to town a few years back. DB killed it off by increasing the bus service at competing times, only to reduce it back after the private company pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Del2005 wrote: »
    Because thousands of their customers are working. Its not like a person who works has to work 24/7 365, they have other days off

Some people have to moan over nothing.

How many people are actually working working today apart from Firemen, Gardai and Ambulance crews?

Stephen15 wrote: »
    How many people are actually working working today apart from Firemen, Gardai and Ambulance crews?

People in security, contract cleaning, newspapers, television, the esb, air traffic control, data centre staff, telecoms engineers, petrol station employees, hotel staff, nursing home staff, some finance companies dealing with asia and the UAE,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

People in security, contract cleaning, newspapers, television, the esb, air traffic control, data centre staff, telecoms engineers, petrol station employees, hotel staff, nursing home staff, some finance companies dealing with asia and the UAE,

You covered anyone I was about to list. Dublin bus must have a reasonable percentage of non Christian staff now that would have no issues working Dec 25th... Just another day for them.

In the grand scheme of things it's not an awful lot

no its not, but its an awful lot of the lower paid service sectors where people don't have cars and often the bus is the only way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's ok for the moment, people are used to it.

But it would take a while to sort out with the Unions. As others have said I cannot understand DART and rail not operating Stephen's Day. But onwards and upwards.

No point having a barney today about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....and not forgetting the tens of thousands working in the country's hospitals and also those in the prison service and other detention facilities......and the clergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭appledrop

No reason for any services to run today. Tomorrow is different though. No way that Irish rail should be allowed to not offer a service tomorrow. A lot of people travel on St. Stephens Day + not everyone has a car or drives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

. As others have said I cannot understand DART and rail not operating Stephen's Day. But onwards and upwards.

My mate is a train driver. He's fully expecting them to be running on the 26th within the next couple of years.

I can kinda understand why Intercity trains aren't running tomorrow not much demand for long distance travel on Stephen's however Dart and commuter trains should really be running. It's worse in a lot places in the UK outside London where many bus companies are running no services on St.Stephens Day or operating an extremely limited service and many aren't running New Years Day either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I can kinda understand why Intercity trains aren't running tomorrow not much demand for long distance travel on Stephen's however Dart and commuter trains should really be running. It's worse in a lot places in the UK outside London where many bus companies are running no services on St.Stephens Day or operating an extremely limited service and many aren't running New Years Day either.

That is Brexitland now. Who really cares what they do. It is mostly privatised also.

Anyway, do not want to have a barney today, time enough for that. All the best.

That is Brexitland now. Who really cares what they do. It is mostly privatised also.

Anyway, do not want to have a barney today, time enough for that. All the best.

I'm just saying as a lot of the rhetoric here seems to be regarding CIE unions where as in the UK bus services are all run by private companies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CIE used to run limited Dublin services on the 25th, I believe gone before the formation of DB though. Withdrawn due to increasing private car use for the things they were used for - mass, visiting graveyards and family etc.

Now there's more reasons for people to use them and a desire to reduce private car use so they should reintroduce then

They are customers and should be treated as such and should have a limited service to cater for them.

Sure couldn't we say the same about any public transport: Rural areas, in the grand scheme of things there's not an awful lot of people to use it so why not get rid of it. I've often seen loads of empty buses on mid week afternoons so there's obviously no need for buses mid week, so they can be gotten rid of also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

They're paying taxes,their taxes help fund a service that isn't providing adequate cover for them, do people pay less income tax on these dates ?.

They are customers and should be treated as such and should have a limited service to cater for them.

Sure couldn't we say the same about any public transport: Rural areas, in the grand scheme of things there's not an awful lot of people to use it so why not get rid of it. I've often seen loads of empty buses on mid week afternoons so there's obviously no need for buses mid week, so they can be gotten rid of also.

Sure all my local shops are closed today but I'm a customer and they're not catering for me as want to go to them on Christmas day. Public transport workers are entitled to a day off to spend with their families like everyone else the hours are bad enough as they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I believe a major issue with IE operating on the 26th is the need for line checks to be done on Christmas day?

There is no point in running a train for a dozen people either.I'm a taxpayer too and don't want to see waste like that.Just like the empty buses that will be seen running all over the country tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 RuleNumber6

L1011 wrote: »
    CIE used to run limited Dublin services on the 25th, I believe gone before the formation of DB though. Withdrawn due to increasing private car use for the things they were used for - mass, visiting graveyards and family etc.

Now there's more reasons for people to use them and a desire to reduce private car use so they should reintroduce then

Absolutely agree. If there is desire to reduce car use in a congested city, this is something (rightly or wrongly) people will expect to be in place - getting round the city with early finishes, days with no services etc over the festive period, won't be getting any easier!

Advertisement