Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 million to be spent on new bus stops

Options
  • 14-07-2013 6:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

The Sunday Business Post today has a short article on the news the €7million will be spent on new bus stops with an expected run up to 2017. The state is paying for the replacement of 16,000 bus stops and 40 new bus shelters. The NTA has confirmed that all current bus stops will be replaced with uniform stops. Each stop will have info on both public and private operators. The first tranche of these stops will be put in place in 6 months time. Separately around 40 new bus shelters will be erected in urban locations at a cost of around €20,000 each. The NTA has also just advertised for tenders for a new public transport info systemthat requires the development of a software package and files so that timetable info can be sent directly to a printer and then pasted at a bus stop whenever there are changes to a particular service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

information sent to a Printer and pasted at the bus stop?

right so, whilst the rest of the world is instaling real time displays at bus stops and on buses, we will have a guy on a bike with a bucket of paste right?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

corktina wrote: »

right so, whilst the rest of the world is instaling real time displays at bus stops and on buses, we will have a guy on a bike with a bucket of paste right?

Even stops that have RTPI need timetables - on some busy stops, you can't see beyond the next 5-10 minutes of departures. :) Lots of stops will also be getting maps.

That said, it is impractical to fit RTPI to all stops, as you need the physical space, electrical and communications connections and need to be happy it won't be thrashed within the week. Some stops will only have a few buses per week - next bus in 2153 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

HMMM....now come come the savvy Corkonian knows how these things work....;)

A nice Tender Process,inviting applications for "Public Transport Hardcopy Information Dissemination " or some such...an approved list of fully comlpliant tenderers...best man wins...Simple,Innit ?

There will be no Bill Sticker on a Bicycle...most likely a fully Health & Safety compliant "Operative" in a low-emission,Traffic Cone filled,Hybrid or Electric Vehicle .....well for the Press Launch anyway....most likely substituted by an oul Transit quite soon afterwards.......

Cynical,me ?....Nah not a bit of it.....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Would it not be cheaper to just put in a relatively cheap LED tv turned sideways behind toughened glass?

Then you could display anything you liked.

Urban areas have no issues getting power to a bus stop. Most of the shelters in Cork have power for lights, real time display and advertising.

Whack some HSPA+ modems and sim cards in (dirt cheap) and you've got communications!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

If you have a smart phone you can download an app which will give you real time arrivals of buses at your bus stop:)

• Advertisement

They really need to localise the app for the major cities though. This one big national app is very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Would it not be cheaper to just put in a relatively cheap LED tv turned sideways behind toughened glass?
    How well can they compete with the brightness of the sun? :)

Victor wrote: »
    How well can they compete with the brightness of the sun? :)

It's Ireland! Put them inside the shelters.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

They really need to localise the app for the major cities though. This one big national app is very confusing.

I downloaded an app in preparation for moving to the city and put in my bus route and it seemed to give me the times that the next buses were arriving at those stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I downloaded an app in preparation for moving to the city and put in my bus route and it seemed to give me the times that the next buses were arriving at those stops.

I assume you got a Dublin Bus app if you're moving to Dublin. Well that's fine if you're looking at them from one company.

These new future bus stops mean that they are going to be multi-operational.

An example of services would mean that if you're waiting for a bus somewhere in Bray; a stop in that area would display services from companies like Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann, Finnegans, Aircoach & possibly Wexford Bus all from one stop.

Do you understand what would happen there now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Don't a lot of motorway phones etc work on solar power? An option for the NTA for rural locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

right so, whilst the rest of the world is installing real time displays at bus stops and on buses, we will have a guy on a bike with a bucket of paste right?
    What "rest of the world" is that? The parts of the "rest of the world" that can afford to do so, or has borrowed the money to do it? Are these bits of high technology vandal-proof?

Used to be that the only thing installed at a bus stop was the actual sign. No route information, and only a stage number. Still, passengers were able to use the service.

And also, on some routes, there were no bus stops posted at all; the method of entry and exit was "hail and ride" where to board, one positioned oneself at an intersection or common boarding point (usually shops nearby) and waved one's hand to flag the bus to stop; and to exit, one informed the driver (or conductor) before exiting and was let off at the nearest safe point. No posted bus stops whatsoever.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I hope that when they do this, they remove the old bus stops.

I also hope that where present, the RTPI poles become the actual bus stop and that we don't continue with the ridiculous situation of separate bus stop and RTPI pole side by side!

bk wrote: »
    I hope that when they do this, they remove the old bus stops.

I also hope that where present, the RTPI poles become the actual bus stop and that we don't continue with the ridiculous situation of separate bus stop and RTPI pole side by side!

Ah now, we do love a bit of uncoordinated street clutter.

Why have 1 pole when 9 would do!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Ah now, we do love a bit of uncoordinated street clutter.

Why have 1 pole when 9 would do!

My Lords,Ladies and Gentlemen....The National Transport Authority brings you....WESTMORELAND STREET ! ;).......Dublin.

The Template for THE WORLD !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

I thhink it would be great if all prviate and public bus companies used the same stops like every other country. There are small towns with buses stopping in three different parts of the town. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

I thhink it would be great if all prviate and public bus companies used the same stops like every other country. There are small towns with buses stopping in three different parts of the town. Crazy.

It is ireland we are talking about here, nothing ceases to amaze

Advertisement