Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Dublin Bus is not being wound up. This isn't "information", it's gossip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

He's been posting nonsense like this for years, I don't know why other posters still give him the time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

My objection is that that sort of post seems to appear here anytime change is in the offing, full of half-truths, unsubstantiated rumours that invariably don't resemble anything close to the truth.

I can remember all sorts of scaremongering here by someone posting garage gossip in the run up to Network Direct that turned out to be utter rubbish.

Let's wait and see what happens.

As for the unions, I don't see what relevance that has to anyone other than their members. I couldn't care less.

My agenda is that I prefer to deal in facts, rather than unsubstantiated rumours going around a messroom which are utter BS.

Thankfully we have an "ignore" facility here.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭drivingmissdaisy

Just wait and see. Look at the new paint job on the buses both DB and GA , have you noticed anything?

You can’t see the Forrest for the trees, you see only what you want to see which has no relation to what is actually happening, look at the C passenger loadings, then the 145 cancellation will make sense

Nbru is soon to be gone

DB will be no more

with Nbru gone there will be no objection

It really is funny round here , a clear lack of understanding of what’s going on, when a driver (not me) point out your inaccurate post you lose the rag.

I really like the discussion on the reduced fares from April, plenty moaning it was of no benefit to them, they had to move away from Dublin to afford a house, and no public transport, wow betide them, now this was pointed out as a reality for many DB drivers during the pay rise offer where marking in was to be abolished and all drivers will do bogies, around here the response was “tough luck, you chose to move away from Dublin, suck it up”, double standards much?

Anyway another driver will no doubt be along in time to confirm what I posted, until then revel in your ignorance.

• Advertisement

Moving on..

BusConnects Core Bus Corridors will be constructed in three lots of four. The first lot will start in early 2024, the second in early 2026 and the final one in early 2028.

This is dependent on the preliminary business case being approved by government this quarter followed by the 12 planning applications being lodged starting with Clongriffin.

The delay in the PBC is also causing delays in the procurement of Next Generation Ticketing which is now further delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

I was going to leave a serious reply as to why GAI would be allowed to partake in the tender, but seeing that we have what probably amounts to an NBRU scarecrow questioning fair competition laws, I won't bother, as I have very little respect left for that union and frankly any notion of them being sucked up by SIPTU will in turn just leave the latter worse off.

Anyway, end of off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Arent you the fella who loves posting rumours and then making the unlikely claim that you overheard bus drivers discussing it while you were using public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I have a feeling it was.

But given your dislike for half truths and rumours, perhaps you will be supplying sources from now on whenever you post your insights about public transport?

The poster you're trying to ballyrag has clearly indicated that he is a bus driver, I believe you have always claimed that you're just an interested observer, why would anyone entertain a joe soap dismissing information from someone who actually works in the industry?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

A reminder that like the forum charter states, you must always attack the post and not the poster.

Also all posters here are posting anonymously. We cannot and will not check people are who they say they are and it is up to individual members to form their own opinions to determine how credible one side or the other is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

You mentioned in a previous post on this topic that the application for 3 CBC's to ABP were delayed because of a new Roads Traffic and Roads Bill that had to be yet to be passed in the Dail & Sénead. Do you know which of these corridor applications are delayed because of this legislation?

Also how long is the delay for the PBC for porcurement of NGT machines being submitted to the Government?

I don't know how many or which ones require passing of the bill. Certainly not all of them. Since they have to be submitted individually, there is likely still some time to get the bill passed while the initial ones are being submitted.

The NGT contract was supposed to be awarded in Q3 2022. It will now be awarded in mid 2023 so it will be 2024 by the time contactless cards can be used. They can be used in the North next month, AFAIK. I think they really dropped the ball on this one by tying it to the BusConnects project.

Although, the NTA are looking at creating a virtual Leap card that can be stored on phones and used on existing Leap readers as a stop-gap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Minister Ryan looking to fast track BusConnects and active transport elements.

About time that he tried to speed this up, it's ridiculously slow so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Thats positive. The majority of bus connects could be implemented without planing permission but then it wouldn't be a big glossy project. Like DART+ lots of it could be done as part if regular maintenance and upgrades but it gets packages into a glossy brochure full of consultant hours. Not sure why that's the default setting in Ireland but it ends up we have huge projects that we aren't capable of delivering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Why do anything substantive when you can just spend billions putting lipstick on a pig?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

200 odd kilometres of proper cycle lanes is quite substantive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Wow. Those sort of words do sound like a major sea change in approach from Eamon Ryan. It's great to see him finally take his approach regarding this important issue, particularly when rail projects are being mentioned as well as BusConnects.

But how fast can he deliver on them when he is currently struggling to get shovels into the ground to build DART+ and Metrolink along with BusConnects.

Even for talking about BusConnects projects taking place outside of Dublin; the approach to it when you talk about getting the plans to people who live outside the capital has been very lopsided.

He is talking about getting tasks done like releasing the bus network redesigns for Galway, Limerick & Waterford by bringing on the local authorities to launch them in their own time. Even Cork has not got it's CBC consultations out to the public yet. You're talking about releasing all of those projects to people who live in those cities. And he does it while he is also trying to focus on bringing in other climate change measures when the IPCC report on Climate Change was released from the UN today.

I think 2 big questions are needed to be asked here about this announcement. Is the release of that report today from the IPCC & the UN fundamentally the biggest driver in why these projects now need to be fastracked from now on in this country?

Another big question is how fast these projects can get the shovels into the ground even though he has acknowledged that they won't guarantee a big reduction in emissions that come from our transport sector?

Involving provincial councils is an even worse idea than involving Dublin CC. When Cork City done a redesign of Wilton Road they added general traffic lanes.

If Galway CC were asked to design something it would be increased parking and reduced footpaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Not sure if this is connected to BC. Does anyone know what route was meant to run through the park? Yet more faff, delay and incompetence on the part of the NTA.

There was a suggestion that it would be an extension of the N2 but that a pilot Broombridge to Heuston via Chesterfield Avenue shuttle would operate at first.

This one reeks of Patrick O'Donovan passing all the blame to the NTA though. If the gates can't fit standard 2.5m buses and can't be changed then it would take the NTA up to a year to go off and buy narrow single deck buses just for this pilot. Are we looking at minibuses or something like the Wrightbus StreetVibe or Optare Solo? None of the options seem like they'll have enough capacity for most of the year.

If it's turned into an extension of the N2 city bus service (as I think it should be) then they would be stuck operating narrow single deck buses carrying a maximum of 40 passengers instead of regular double decks from the Clontarf Road to Broombridge section too just because of this gate.

Fix the gate.

Do you know if the planning apps are to be submitted in order that they are numbered? on the busconnects site?

TBH I don't see it happening. There's a lot of front gardens to be CPOed from a lot of wealthy people. As we've seen in Sandymount, wealth and friendly judges means JRs which effectively kill projects. And that was only a cycle lane on a public road, imagine trying to take these people's gardens.

Not sure what's going to follow Clongriffin in terms of planning applications but Clongriffin, Tallaght/Clondalkin, Blanchardstown, and Bray are the first lot (which will start construction in 2024) so you'd expect them to be the first ones into the planning system.

Anyway, government approval for BusConnects is due soon and they can move on with the planning applications and the procurement of ticketing equipment. Veeeery soon. ⏳

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

The N2 is supposed to North Circular Road and Blackhorse Avenue seems daft putting it into the Phoenix Park.

Govt to approve Bus Connects planning application measures

It is currently expected that the first group - consisting of Clongriffin to City Centre, Blanchardstown to City Centre, Tallaght/Clondalkin to City Centre, and Bray to City Centre - will begin construction by 2024, with the subsequent groups beginning in 2026 and 2028.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Surprised that the bray corridor is in the first batch tbh, given that most of the N11 stretch (betw. Loughlinstown & Donnybrook anyways) is already a qbc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That's probably why it's one of the first, to be honest. Same as with the spines, the h was done first as it required the least changes.

I would expect their relative locations to be more important than how easy or difficult they are. Clongriffin, Blanch, Tallaght and Bray are in four corners of Dublin. That's going to be a requirement for all the lots. I wouldn't expect Swords and Ballymun/Finglas to be constructed together, for example, except when they have to grouped together into one corridor.

• Advertisement

The Clongriffin corridor is also almost entirely already done. On Blanch corridor the Cabra to Quays section is a significant change.

I suspect the logic is keeping the corridors under construction distant from eachother, you'd have all the tds writing about 'traffic hell' if the ballymun and Swords corridors were being built at same time.

Advertisement