Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Iphone prices..

Options

Comments

that's just plain incorrect as of now. I'd say it's nearly gone in the other direction, more Android apps. There was definitely more for iOS back in 2010.

I'll say one thing, the standard of design is way better on iOS apps anyway.

With over 80% of Googleplay store apps being free compared to 60% of apple App Store which has 100k less apps available, that tells you why.
    Apple do reject a lot of free apps for varying reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Hitchens

also, there is never a problem selling on an iPhone.....in fact they'd take hand and all

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

Nobody is under pressure. There are in fact far more older iphones out there than androids which explains their popularity. The 4S is still being used by many.

Yes but I know a handful of people... only having the 5s for less than a few months selling them and buying the latest. They got rid of their perfectly working phones.. to spend more to get a new one. Simply to keep up with the latest

Yes but I know a handful of people... only having the 5s for less than a few months selling them and buying the latest. They got rid of their perfectly working phones.. to spend more to get a new one. Simply to keep up with the latest

And you blame Apple for that? 😂
    Great logic!

What you are suggesting is that you dislike your friends lifestyle or are jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

banquo wrote: »
    I literally couldn't agree more. The whole discourse is a shambles.

A) But Samsung knew that people wanted a bigger screen!

Truth: Samsung makes devices with screens in almost every single size, from tiny phones to 70" televisions. One of them was bound to stick.

B) It's all down to advertising with Apple

Nope, Samsung spent more than twice as much than Apple on advertising for the last two years running

C) Samsung didn't really copy Apple

Oh yes. Oh yes they did.

D) But Android has a higher market share!

The only market share worth comparing is in the the €500+ range, as people buying cheaper phones didn't make their choice based on brand or OS, they based it on affordability.

E) These phones are too expensive.

Nope, most OEMs make a small loss or almost no money. Only Apple and HTC make any real dough, and Samsung saw their smartphone profits decline by 73% this year. Madness.

There are plenty of actual differences that are largely ignored. For example, Apple's losing some of their "It just works" polish – iOS8 has like 21 screens to get through when you first get your phone. Some of the cloud services have basic fundamental flaws. But the market share / copying arguments are just painful to read.

I was going to mention the
    Apple Fan = Sheep
    Android Fan = Cheap skate
    Argument but yeah you pretty much have the rest there

To whoever's discussing it above, according to Wikipedia (I know), Both app stores have roughly 1.3 million apps

• Advertisement

sure isn't better than putting the local publicans kids through college? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Get a Oneplus One.
    Better than any other phone out there.

Ha! Bring it! :pac:

Who will be Windows champion?

I only use it because I've a gaming PC, so obviously it's head and shoulders above Mac or Linux there

Linux on the laptop because hackintoshs take so much effort :pac:

I disagree totally about pressure, you will find those that have the latest iPhone every year also get a new car every chance they can or always want the latest of everything in their lives.
    So the pressure is self created by their own lifestyle.
    If your friend has an iPhone 6 plus 128gb, and you want one just because it makes you feel bad that your phone is older then you have lots of social problems ;)

I am going to quote what my friend said... 'I look rich because ive got an iphone 6, you think people in the pub will notice it?'

Abit of social perssure there wont you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

I'm on my 3rd now, iPhone 3GS, 4S and now a 6.

I'v tried Android (HTC Sensation) and I just find IOS superior.... I know it's a bit more 'restrictive' but it just works.

Only ever had 1 problem, The 3GS silent switch was loose... Replaced with a refurbed unit under warranty, No questions.

Just sold my 4S, Just under 2.5 years old, Never in a case but looked after for €200 in 2 days on Adverts.

ETA: Love how people have misinformed arguments,
    Can't use Google Chrome on an iPhone. (I'm using in right now!)
    Those with the latest phone always buy a new car every year.

• Advertisement

I am going to quote what my friend said... 'I look rich because ive got an iphone 6, you think people in the pub will notice it?'

Abit of social perssure there wont you agree?
    I would say your friend is a superficial "judge a book by its cover" type.

Great logic!

What you are suggesting is that you dislike your friends lifestyle or are jealous!

Not jealousy at all. I totally agree with the saying 'if you really want something, go get it'.. but spending 600+ euro on a mobile phone is beyond me.. especially if you already have a perfectly good working phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

paltry few apps for droids compared to the amount available for the iPhone

I personally found there are plenty, too many perhaps and very VERY few are as polished or snappy as IOS apps. And then theres the permissions they require to run, in most cases are absolutely nuts with no restrictions whatsoever on who can collect what data and if the apps even work correctly in the first place.

I'm an unwilling convert, I needed an android device to develop mobile sites, I'll be getting another iphone again pretty soon. My old 3gs has been passed down to the mother in law after almost 6 years and still chugging along and still feels far more snappy in most respects than the (admittedly cheap) android I'm now using.
    I jailbroke my iPhone which makes it alright. Without that, the restrictions would be infuriating

I have never felt the need to Jailbreak my iphone despite being a bit of a nerd, when it comes to a phone I just want something that does what it does, and does it well - I really want to know what people do that makes jailbreaking a necessity ?

Sure they are an expensive device, but considering the amount of time people spend on their phones and way from the desk these days, they are probably a more justified overall price than a laptop.

Most other companies android phones do not spend ...
    • As much on R&D
    • As much on Marketing
    • As much on ongoing OS updates (they just customize android whenever the latest version is released)
    • As much on customer service
    • As much on overseas patents and trademarks
    • As much on technology Licencing Agreements
    • As much on software technology agreements e.g. Applepay
    • As much on employee costs
    • As much on miscellaneous costs, like casing tolerances.
    • As much on Lawsuits !

Issue with a software upgrade on your android device ? We Highly recommend a downgrade and blame it all on Google. :p

Not jealousy at all. I totally agree with the saying 'if you really want something, go get it'.. but spending 600+ euro on a mobile phone is beyond me.. especially if you already have a perfectly good working phone
    I can see it is beyond you, but that doesn't mean anyone who can afford to do it, is like your mates, ie.trying to impress other people with being fashionable!
    Sometimes it's about the experience, who cares what other people think!

He also purchased those expensive beats headphones and wears them around his neck at all times.. he admitted he did so to make him look like hes got money. Im not slagging him off. Hes a perfectly decent fella.. but I think hes under pressure to.. as he said ' look rich and up to date'

iPhone is a chick magnet.......an android phone is..................just a phone :cool:

He also purchased those expensive beats headphones and wears them around his neck at all times.. he admitted he did so to make him look like hes got money. Im not slagging him off. Hes a perfectly decent fella.. but I think hes under pressure to.. as he said ' look rich and up to date'
    Any audiophile will laugh when they see beats headphones ;)
    Boomy bass does not equal HQ.
    I bought a set of Sennheiser HD650 headphones, cost over 400 but well worth every penny when driven properly.
    I totally agree with Beats being overpriced fashionable items, as they all only do one thing, reproduce sound, unlike smartphones ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Can I interest him in a bridge? It's the latest model! :pac:

I can see it is beyond you, but that doesn't mean anyone who can afford to do it, is like your mates, ie.trying to impress other people with being fashionable!
    Sometimes it's about the experience, who cares what other people think!

Very good point. Yes im sure if we all could easily afford it most of us would blow all our money on all these up to date luxuries...I just could never see myself spending a massive amount of money on something such as a mobile phone. But youre right.. shouldnt care what people think.

Very good point. Yes im sure if we all could easily afford it most of us would blow all our money on all these up to date luxuries...I just could never see myself spending a massive amount of money on something such as a mobile phone. But youre right.. shouldnt care what people think.
    I understand that, but as you can see your valid questions sometimes get spoiled by fanboys and their users, Apple would be still hated if they made a 200 euro iphone with the build quality to match ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Any audiophile will laugh when they see beats headphones ;)
    Boomy bass does not equal HQ.
    I bought a set of Sennheiser HD650 headphones, cost over 400 but well worth every penny when driven properly.
    I totally agree with Beats being overpriced fashionable items, as they all only do one thing, reproduce sound, unlike smartphones ;)

Had a pair of their 290s years ago. Everything else just crap compared to Sennheiser. A worthy investment.

Had a pair of their 290s years ago. Everything else just crap compared to Sennheiser. A worthy investment.

The name is really prestige when it comes to audio, I'm sure those with 5mil MP3 files on their media device would call them overpriced too ;)
    I'm lossless and amped all the way so can appreciate the premium price to match the build quality.

I understand that, but as you can see your valid questions sometimes get spoiled by fanboys and their users, Apple would be still hated if they made a 200 euro iphone with the build quality to match ;)

The last thing I wanted was fanboys coming in and start comparing. Id say thats even worse than spending all that money.. but so many different answers and I thank the lot of yas for your opinions :)

The name is really prestige when it comes to audio, I'm sure those with 5mil MP3 files on their media device would call them overpriced too ;)
    I'm lossless and amped all the way so can appreciate the premium price to match the build quality.

How do you play flac on an iPhone out of curiosity? :D

Currently wearing a pair of Sennheisers too! Got to support local industry

The last thing I wanted was fanboys coming in and start comparing. Id say thats even worse than spending all that money.. but so many different answers and I thank the lot of yas for your opinions :)

Agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

This argument that iPhones cost more is a fallacy. All comparable top end androids cost similarly to iPhones.

The difference is when it comes time to sell your iPhone they keep their value.

Chiefly, because they are never discounted. Android phones get discounted almost as soon as they are released, then when it comes to sell it its hardley worth anything.

Secondly, Apples customer service is second to none. You have a problem with your iPhone? Get into Apples website and they call you back. 12 hours later you have a new iPhone in your hand.

What happens with Android phones when they go wrong? A month later you get it back looking worse than when you sent it off.

That's if you can get them to fix it in the first place.

Then there's updates. You can expect several years of updates with your iPhone. Android? You'd be lucky to get it on the latest OS out of the box.

Then there's of course the fact that Android users are the actual product. The whole being of Android is to collect and mine data for Google. I mean, why does a torch App, need your email, phone number and so on?

I have gladly given Apple my hard earned for the past 5 years and will continue for the foreseeable future.

Great logic!

Not jealousy at all. I totally agree with the saying 'if you really want something, go get it'.. but spending 600+ euro on a mobile phone is beyond me.. especially if you already have a perfectly good working phone already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

need your email, phone number and so on

Ahem, worse than that, access to all your SMS messages, Contact list, location and Recently dialed numbers !

• Advertisement

How do you play flac on an iPhone out of curiosity? :D

Currently wearing a pair of Sennheisers too! Got to support local industry

Angela Merkel says "Danke Schoen" :D

Advertisement