Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite take-away meal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Candie wrote: »
    I don't get pizza. It's basically cheese on toast, but I guess people are finding something different in it than I do.

I always think of this thread title and rant when I think of pizza. I have to agree:

Pizza - World's Most Expensive Bread
    Degsy wrote: »
    Fcucking tasteless muck.
    Do you know how much it costs these shysters to sling a ball of dough in the oven with a few grams of crap on top?
    About 50 pence and they shovel them out to people at 11 quid a pop.
    You're being had no matter who they are.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60986075

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Candie wrote: »
    I don't get pizza. It's basically cheese on toast, but I guess people are finding something different in it than I do.

Exactly this. I don't find it very exciting and so hard to find a really good one. I'd choose pasta over Pizza every time.
    What's even more annoying: when the man wants Pizza and I don't, there's a near-divorce conflict because the places do Pizza and maybe some pitiful salad. No pasta or anything for people that don't fancy Pizza. And they can keep their manky wedges, they don't deliver well and I'm no friend of potato goo.

With a Chinese you have options if you don't fancy a noodle dish. At the Indian you can order different things if you don't want a curry. The BBQ place has something for everyone. But Pizza places do Pizza and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Pizzas rarely do anything for me. I search high and low but it’s just so difficult to find one with that.......

pizzaz. If you don’t live in a well off area and aren’t on terms with an Italian restauranteur of who gives you a complimentary bottle of vino with your customary 2 for 1 deal then what’s the point?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

CruelCoin wrote: »
    A big doner kebab.

Not the measly pita-bread pisstakes.

I'm talking the large naan stuffed to the hilt with kebab meat, sauce, onions, lettuce.

Nothing and i mean nothing is better for being good for what ails ye.

There's a place near me that does a doner kebab that is quite literally the size of your forearm.

For obvious reasons, I only get one very very occasionally :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

A big doner kebab.

Not the measly pita-bread pisstakes.

I'm talking the large naan stuffed to the hilt with kebab meat, sauce, onions, lettuce.

Nothing and i mean nothing is better for being good for what ails ye.

Only if it's good doner meat...

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    Exactly this. I don't find it very exciting and so hard to find a really good one. I'd choose pasta over Pizza every time.
    What's even more annoying: when the man wants Pizza and I don't, there's a near-divorce conflict because the places do Pizza and maybe some pitiful salad. No pasta or anything for people that don't fancy Pizza. And they can keep their manky wedges, they don't deliver well and I'm no friend of potato goo.

With a Chinese you have options if you don't fancy a noodle dish. At the Indian you can order different things if you don't want a curry. The BBQ place has something for everyone. But Pizza places do Pizza and that's it.

Proper Italian pizza is the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

B0jangles wrote: »
    There's a place near me that does a doner kebab that is quite literally the size of your forearm.

For obvious reasons, I only get one very very occasionally :D

Aye, it's ****ing huge. 2 full slapup meals in it easy.
    Only if it's good doner meat...

It's actually pretty good. Town has 6 takeaways, and this is the only busy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Indian

Onion bhajis
    Butter chicken or Lamb pasanda or something similar, I actually love spicy food but generally prefer the creamier/nuttier Indian curries
    Pilau rice
    Peshawari naan
    Poppadoms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Takeaways Irish, Chinese, Indian are great once you don't think about the quality of the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Beef Lo Mein and Crab Puffs... Takeaway perfection.

• Advertisement

Aye, it's ****ing huge. 2 full slapup meals in it easy.

It's actually pretty good. Town has 6 takeaways, and this is the only busy one.

That's always a killer for me .
    Charcoalgrill in Galway near flood st does lovely kebab meat.
    So does the one in Athlone.

The kebab shop in Athlone does terrible kebab meat....like soggy cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Indian food from Cinnamon Gardens in Ashbourne.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's a toss up between a good Indian from Namaste or grub from Macaris chipper (good ol' greasy batter burger, chips or curry chips, onion rings and garlic mayo dip.)
    I'm hungry now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

BBQ ribs with extra sauce and a half portion of chicken balls and a can of Coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,586 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hard to beat a nice fresh cod and chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Dominos garlic cheesy bread, followed by extra cheesy pepperoni and pineapple pizza (yes I am a sociopath), followed by a tub of magnum white ice cream.

Been months since I've had it though, trying to be boring and healthy these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Chicken Karahi with pilau rice and naan from Bombay Pantry.

Also like a portion of onion rings from the chipper.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

IMO 90% of Chinese take away food in Ireland is utter rubbish - rubbery water injected chicken, MSG addled sauces, poor hygiene standards.

The minority of Chinese eateries that are good can be excellent but standards among Chinese take aways are abysmal IMO. :(

Thai, Japanese or Indonesian are so much better in terms of standards when it comes to East Asian cuisine.

Pizza places like Dominos are a total and utter rip off. A virtual licence to print money. If you want real pizza, go to Italy or try a few good eat in places in Dublin like Ciao Bella Roma or Little Caesar's.

I also like burritos from Boojum but prefer to eat in than take away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

JupiterKid wrote: »
    IMO 90% of Chinese take away food in Ireland is utter rubbish - rubbery water injected chicken, MSG addled sauces, poor hygiene standards.

The minority of Chinese eateries that are good can be excelkent but standards among Chinese take aways are abysmal IMO.

Thai or Indonesian are so much better in terms of standards.

Pizza places like Donimos are a total and utter rip off. A virtual licence to print money. If you want real pizza, go to Italy or try a few good eat in places in Dublin like Ciao Bella Roma or Little Caesar's.

Italian type pizzas are doughy floury disappointment. Base is rotten. Give me US style pizza any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Ginger83

JupiterKid wrote: »

The minority of Chinese eateries that are good can be excelkent but standards among Chinese take aways are abysmal IMO.

Thai or Indonesian are so much better in terms of standards.

Pizza places like Donimos are a total and utter rip off. A virtual licence to print money. If you want real pizza, go to Italy or try a few good eat in places in Dublin like Ciao Bella Roma or Little Caesar's.

I used to eat chinese until i started a delivery job and saw what they do with the food......never again.

Fish n chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I used to eat chinese until i started a delivery job and saw what they do with the food......never again.

Fish n chips.

what do they do? I used to deliver but never really had much business in the kitchen. Heard one or two stories of uncleanliness alright.

what do they do? I used to deliver but never really had much business in the kitchen. Heard one or two stories of uncleanliness alright.

They store all their waste cooking oil outside drawing rats, etc then bring it in and make all the sauces with it

They store all their waste cooking oil outside drawing rats, etc then bring it in and make all the sauces with it

Lovely!

Frozen pizza it is this weekend.

:eek:

Lovely!

Frozen pizza it is this weekend.

:eek:

I used to collect their waste oil and there was never any :mad:

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/and-finally/lifetime-of-free-pizza-offer-dropped-after-too-many-people-got-dominos-tattoos-37310077.html

In Russia they were giving free Dominos Pizza for life to anyone who got a tattoo of their logo. They had to stop doing it as too many people getting it done!

If it comes in here my missus is definitely getting sent down to the local tattoo parlour!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Dinner box and donnar kebab with no garlic sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

Base Pizza is my new fave. Hard to choose so I get half ruspante half calabria. Delicious!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Fish n chips.

I worked in a proper restaurant and if you saw what they did with the food youd never eat out again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Batter Sausage + Chips ... From an Italian Chipper .. Loads of salt and vinegar.

Advertisement