Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite take-away meal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Pizza, must be pizza... with plenty of wine..... Its been quite a while ... may fix that at the weekend !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Pizza. Every time. Dont get it more than once or twice a year due to cost but when i do its yum.

Woukdnt mind chinese either but pizza will always win:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Hammer89 wrote: »
    It used to be a snack box, with two breasts. You pay a little extra for the second breast, but god damn it's worth it. I sometimes wonder why it doesn't come with two breasts automatically. In fact, does anyone even like the other bits, the drumstick, whatever bit of the chicken that is, and the leg?

With the drumstick you're eating a lot of grease, a lot of batter/breadcrumbs and a lot of tendons, but there's very little chicken isn't there? Don't get me started on that other piece, the piece only good for the skin, and once you take it off and eat it you lose your appetite because you realise 'white meat' isn't quite accurate, because it's not white. It's dirty white. It's traveller white. And fair balls to KFC here because they've managed to make you think all the pieces are as succulent as the rest, but they're not.

The only piece worth it's weight is the breast. Don't get me wrong, I realise some breasts are far from perfect, and some patently shouldn't have been fried at all, but I find the success rate on a breast is far higher than any other piece. It's the only piece that you can devour really if we're honest here.

The brown meat is ALL I want. :confused: It’s the most succulent part! If there’s a choice, I don’t order breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

lamb jalfrezi extra hot with extra popadoms garlic naan and jasmine rice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The brown meat is ALL I want. :confused: It’s the most succulent part! If there’s a choice, I don’t order breast.

It's the nicer meat but each piece is 80% bone and gristle and 20% meat. I'd rather get the value of the breast which normally only has the half wishbone left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Serena Williams thighs?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pizza is not a meal in a million years.
    It's the kind of thing I'd eat while I'd be waiting on my dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

A lamb saag with mushroom pilau rice is divine. You'll be ****eing green spinach coloured lava the next day though.

Also a smoked cod and proper chipper chips with beans and curry sauce, utterly beautiful.

I'm not a fan of Chinese slop myself but now and again I would go for a house special curry with chips and fried rice. Sometimes I'd get a veggie curry with chicken balls, chips and rice.

I'm also quite partial to a chicken breast kebab from my local Italian chipper with chips smothered in ketchup. Yum :)

A mixed diner/shawarma kebab from Turkmaz near the market in Limerick after a few beers always goes down well but I can feel the effects of it the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What is a spice bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Ipso wrote: »
    What is a spice bag?

Chips with chicken goujons, onion, pepper all coated in an MSG laden spice mix. I prefer to call it a Heartburn Bag

• Advertisement

They're amazing. The non msg ones are basically a large bag of disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Nasi Goreng
    Yum

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mackmatic

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I would never offer that opinion in a restaurant so your analogy is flawed from the outset.

I would gladly offer that same opinion on a bulletin board, they are typically used for the free exchange of ideas and debate.

Anyway, carry on. If you want to poison yourself with that ****e, be my guest.

You come across as such a twat.

Bet you're an absolute riot over a few pints too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

can the thread title be changed to

"What's your favourite take-away meal? DONT READ IF HUNGRY"

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's the nicer meat but each piece is 80% bone and gristle and 20% meat. I'd rather get the value of the breast which normally only has the half wishbone left.

Quality over quantity please. It’s plenty of food when you add in the chips.

Quality over quantity please. It’s plenty of food when you add in the chips.

I'd rather more than a thimble full even if I'm having chips with it.

Even though it tastes nicer, there's no trust with brown meat either. You're only ever a millimeter away from a lump of something nasty.

_

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I hate fish but I love a good fish and chips. Fried haggis is also a must.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd rather more than a thimble full even if I'm having chips with it.

Even though it tastes nicer, there's no trust with brown meat either. You're only ever a millimeter away from a lump of something nasty.

_

I’m talking about succulence. If the chipper gives you a choice, I always get thigh and drumstick only and there’s always plenty of meat. And it’s juicy, not dry. And actually, in places that give you a choice, the brown meat is usually cheaper so you pay less for less meat. You can then order a bit more to make up the shortfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I know you may discount this but getting home from the shops for me takes hours ... given that the attraction of a take away is that the meal is cooked by someone else and is thus easier and less costly?

My vote is for the ready meals that have caught on at most supermarkets etc.
    Pop them in the microwave and there ye are..

I enjoy traditional meals so my favourite is either cottage pie or the bacon and cabbage but eg tesco have a huge range of international ready meals.

When I buy I add extras to freeze so I can have "take away" without leaving home as I already ... took it away...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nothing beats a tasty dürüm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'll usually order s chipper.

Always chips and either a cheeseburger, battered sausage, battered burger, kebab etc.

Sauces would be curry or kebab sauce.

A spice bag or mega box from the Chinese is great too.

Feck. Now I'm dying for Saturday until my takeaway night!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Indian

Lamb Bhuna.
    Pilau rice.
    Garlic Naan.
    Popadoms with mango chutney.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

josip wrote: »
    Hot and sour soup from the place in Shankill that closed a few months ago coz of mice and will probably reopen under a new name.

Mou-sey-yum-mi

Discovered a new favourite take out order at lunch today
    Double cheese burger and McChicken sandwhich...hold the drink, fries and sauce (discoverd thats the gunk that leaves the bad after taste, the rest on its own was tasty and cheaper to boot)

Looks like a toss-up between Indian, pizza and Chinese for favourites.

Some of the Indian stuff mentioned I make at home for regular dinners, probably why I love burgers for treats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

A big doner kebab.

Not the measly pita-bread pisstakes.

I'm talking the large naan stuffed to the hilt with kebab meat, sauce, onions, lettuce.

Nothing and i mean nothing is better for being good for what ails ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Pizza is not a meal in a million years.
    It's the kind of thing I'd eat while I'd be waiting on my dinner.

Agreed. Each to their own but I just can't bring myself to buy takeaway pizza. The difference between it and supermarket pizza just isn't worth the prize difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Agreed. Each to their own but I just can't bring myself to buy takeaway pizza. The difference between it and supermarket pizza just isn't worth the prize difference.

Its the sogginess that gets me.

I bought a pepperoni pizza for about 3 quid in lidl last week and loaded it up with chicken, jalapenos, tomato, mushrooms, a few doses of chutney and mozerella cheese and it was magic out of the oven.

Dominos or similar is just soggy stodge for a lot more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Burgers and kebabs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm really not a pizza enthusiast in general and if I have my once every 18 months-moment where I'd like to have a pizza it needs to be a good one. Like an out of this world Pizza. And the very most places don't deliver anything remotely acceptable.
    And the one place that does, isn't in our area in Dublin and then it's easier to order Japanese because they deliver.

• Advertisement

I don't get pizza. It's basically cheese on toast, but I guess people are finding something different in it than I do.

Advertisement