Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephens Day Sales - Powercity+DID+Currys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Thanks for links OP. Just my opinion on the Power city sale, i used to go down with my father every Stephen's Day and its a joke. They mark up there original price and sale price is sometimes the price the item always was. Then the really good offers they never have even if your top of the que.

Got to know a member of staff pretty well and he told me they reserve items for family and friends and ultimitly items don't make it to the shop floor. Last time we went down 2 years ago we were 2nd in que, looking for a tv that was reduced from 899 to 500, guess what they had none, laptop that was on speical reduced to 399 i think it was, guess what out of stock, try another store i was told.

Personally i'd give it a miss you be better at home feet up relaxing, as i said most items are the same price today as they will be during the big sale Stephen's day, but sure there is one born every mnute of everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Thanks for links OP. Just my opinion on the Power city sale, i used to go down with my father every Stephen's Day and its a joke. They mark up there original price and sale price is sometimes the price the item always was. Then the really good offers they never have even if your top of the que.

Got to know a member of staff pretty well and he told me they reserve items for family and friends and ultimitly items don't make it to the shop floor. Last time we went down 2 years ago we were 2nd in que, looking for a tv that was reduced from 899 to 500, guess what they had none, laptop that was on speical reduced to 399 i think it was, guess what out of stock, try another store i was told.

Personally i'd give it a miss you be better at home feet up relaxing, as i said most items are the same price today as they will be during the big sale Stephen's day, but sure there is one born every mnute of everyday.

To give the other side of the coin, On St Stephen's Day 2006 I was 2nd in the queue and got a Sony 40" LCD reduced from €1949 to €1549. I had been tracking the price for a while so it was a genuine reduction. I got a Yamaha 5.1 Surround Sound kit reduced from €449 to €389 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Full details of the Curry's Sale will be up here later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

if nobody went to these mediocre sales, the staff might get another days holidays with their families or hangovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

what ever. If no one went the staff may be at home permantley. In retail you get most business when offices are closed and people are available to visit your shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

dr ro wrote: »
    if nobody went to these mediocre sales, the staff might get another days holidays with their families or hangovers.

Get real for christs sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

Are you going to be working at one of these "mediocre sales"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

i dont think its fair either. 1 day off for christmas is not enough. i know its nothing to do with this thread, but seriously i used to work in retail, and i thought it was unfair only having 2 days off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

anybody able to get into power city yet.

oh and merry christmas.:)

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

see attachment

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jaych1000

rameire wrote: »
    anybody able to get into power city yet.

oh and merry christmas.:)
    Still down.
    Wonder if it is really "under maintenance" or if there's actually a server error?
    Hopefully not a server error 'cause it may not be fixed anytime too soon:(

EDIT: Site is back up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

If anyone notices a slim dishwasher (45cm width) in these sales it would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Power City
    Did
    Currys

can any of the items on sale for 2mrw be ordered ONLINE?

or do I have to go instore to buy??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Not for currys or did anyway. You can get some good deals on the power city site but not quite as good as if you turn up in person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

DID sale is on the 27th not the 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jaych1000

Power City
    Did
    Currys
    can any of the items on sale for 2mrw be ordered ONLINE?
    or do I have to go instore to buy??
    I bought something online with Power City and am going to collect today. It wasn't on the Sale list but I don't see what the problem would be buying it online. I'd presume the site went down for maintenance that day for the sales prices to be implemented into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Are the prices online on DID right now the sale prices or can we expect lower prices tomorrow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Spot on mate , I noticed this in power city a couple of years ago when I had been on the look out for a new tv , had my eye on a couple that they had and went to see how much they where reduced to in the sale and they were the same price only with a sticker saying they had been reduced from a higher price. Clowns, wouldnt go near them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

gizabeer wrote: »
    Spot on mate , I noticed this in power city a couple of years ago when I had been on the look out for a new tv , had my eye on a couple that they had and went to see how much they where reduced to in the sale and they were the same price only with a sticker saying they had been reduced from a higher price. Clowns, wouldnt go near them.

Not sure that's legal. AFAIK it would have to be on sale at the higher price for a certain period of time. Retailers can't just say something was sold at a higher price if it wasn't, get in touch with the NCA if you think that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

I'm positive , it was the store in Drogheda , it was 3 or 4 years ago .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Can anyone tell me is this a decent TV for 300 quid? Was in Curry's Liffey Valley earlier on and am looking for a TV for a bedroom wall. Already have a Samsung 40" HD as main TV but looking for something smaller to mount on a bedroom wall. Will I get a better TV cheaper online or elsewhere? Yer one in the shop told me not to wate my time with this cheaper one (was 4 259 just for today) as it's a load of rubbish.

Thanks! :)

gizabeer wrote: »
    I'm positive , it was the store in Drogheda , it was 3 or 4 years ago .

I'm not doubting you. What I'm saying is, the practice is illegal and if you see it you should contact the NCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Goldenegg wrote: »
    Are you going to be working at one of these "mediocre sales"?

no I'll be working Christmas day myself, public sector, but my wife is in retail and even though she's off the shop's open and staff are demoralized naturally. I am real, fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

That Dyson vaccum is extremely good value at 129e, cheapest I could find apart from that was Arnotts at 199e (think it's a DC29) got one today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Kevin! wrote: »
    That Dyson vaccum is extremely good value at 129e, cheapest I could find apart from that was Arnotts at 199e (think it's a DC29) got one today.

Had one, it fell apart. Better off spending the money on an extension cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

need a dryer and DID have one for 169, what are the odds of the shop selling out there 10 quota? Im in work so cant head there till 5ish but i dont believe there are that many people looking for dryers, am i wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

emo72 wrote: »
    i dont think its fair either. 1 day off for christmas is not enough. i know its nothing to do with this thread, but seriously i used to work in retail, and i thought it was unfair only having 2 days off

Absolutely nothing to do with this thread, BUT if you don't want to work when other people are off don't go into hospitality or retail.

Boohoo, its not fair, 1 day off for Christmas. If you want more, you ask for holidays, but don't be surprised when you get turned down as THIS IS WHEN IT'S BUSY AS OTHER PEOPLE ARE OFF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Foe

POKERKING, just a heads up for you as I was looking for a dryer aswell. I was going to go to DID aswell but ended up ordering it on powercity website as DID site says they are sold out - you were looking at the hotpoint 1 yes??? Powercity price is the same! My advice would be to ring your nearest branch before you go to save a wasted journey or do as I did and order online and then collect at your nearest powercity! Good luck!

POKERKING wrote: »
    need a dryer and DID have one for 169, what are the odds of the shop selling out there 10 quota? Im in work so cant head there till 5ish but i dont believe there are that many people looking for dryers, am i wrong?

Same dryer in Power City for same price. No restrictions as far as I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Foe wrote: »
    POKERKING, just a heads up for you as I was looking for a dryer aswell. I was going to go to DID aswell but ended up ordering it on powercity website as DID site says they are sold out - you were looking at the hotpoint 1 yes??? Powercity price is the same! My advice would be to ring your nearest branch before you go to save a wasted journey or do as I did and order online and then collect at your nearest powercity! Good luck!

I was looking at condenser drier for 169 cheapest on powercity is 199, which one did you get?

Thanks for your help guys

Advertisement