Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Pro12 Season 2020-2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I would doubt that Cockerill would be sacked even if Edinburgh lose next 2 games. He's been their best coach since the professional game started and took them from going nowhere to within a minute of the Pro 14 final. If he is sacked who would come in and do a better job?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would doubt that Cockerill would be sacked even if Edinburgh lose next 2 games. He's been their best coach since the professional game started and took them from going nowhere to within a minute of the Pro 14 final. If he is sacked who would come in and do a better job?

I think you're underestimating how bad a run they're on. They've lost 6 in a row now including 4 at home. If they lost 8 on the trot it would be the worst run of results in years for them.

Cockerill has done a brilliant job but that narrative will change dramatically if they don't solve their problem. They have been appalling since rugby returned.

The thing most in his favour is that Edinburgh probably cannot afford to change coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

Buer wrote: »
    I think you're underestimating how bad a run they're on. They've lost 6 in a row now including 4 at home. If they lost 8 on the trot it would be the worst run of results in years for them.

Cockerill has done a brilliant job but that narrative will change dramatically if they don't solve their problem. They have been appalling since rugby returned.

The thing most in his favour is that Edinburgh probably cannot afford to change coach.

I think as time continues to go by and as the implications of Brexit become more prevalent in UK society there will be quite a lot of financial issues in all clubs right across the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

kub wrote: »
    I think as time continues to go by and as the implications of Brexit become more prevalent in UK society there will be quite a lot of financial issues in all clubs right across the UK.

I think the financial ramifications of Covid are a much bigger concern than Brexit right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So Munster v Cardiff tonight...two unbeaten sides going head to head, not bad fare for a Monday night.

I'm not sure it would work if supporters were allowed though, but it's an interesting development.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

bilston wrote: »
    So Munster v Cardiff tonight...two unbeaten sides going head to head, not bad fare for a Monday night.

I'm not sure it would work if supporters were allowed though, but it's an interesting development.

If it gives the TV companies reasons to be happy and keeps the money coming in then all good when there is no crowds allowed

Might even work when crowds are capped at about 5-10%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Burkie1203 wrote: »

It's a good job the Scarlets have another 28 companies on their jersey.

razorblunt wrote: »
    It's a good job the Scarlets have another 28 companies on their jersey.

its also funny given how the welsh give out about irish players having personal sponsorships, they kept some of these deals quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

4 tbp wins for the provinces. Will take that!

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    4 tbp wins for the provinces. Will take that!

Will certainly take it but it feels somewhat facile or even hollow. Maybe it's due to going from playoffs and knock out rugby to run of the mill Pro14 in just a couple of weeks but the Pro14 feels like it's in real difficulty now.

The 4 wins were achieved with worrying ease. Leinster's kids blew apart Zebre. Ulster did the same to the Dragons. Connacht had Edinburgh (last season's pool toppers) beaten with a BP in the bag after an hour in Scotland. Munster pretty much dominated Cardiff with a weakened selection and will be baffled as to how they conceded 27 points.

We're now a few weeks into the season and no team outside the provinces has impressed me really at all. I've misgivings about the South African expansion and logistics of the proposal but the league is going backwards at this stage which few would have thought possible after last season's procession.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Will certainly take it but it feels somewhat facile or even hollow. Maybe it's due to going from playoffs and knock out rugby to run of the mill Pro14 in just a couple of weeks but the Pro14 feels like it's in real difficulty now.

The 4 wins were achieved with worrying ease. Leinster's kids blew apart Zebre. Ulster did the same to the Dragons. Connacht had Edinburgh (last season's pool toppers) beaten with a BP in the bag after an hour in Scotland. Munster pretty much dominated Cardiff with a weakened selection and will be baffled as to how they conceded 27 points.

We're now a few weeks into the season and no team outside the provinces has impressed me really at all. I've misgivings about the South African expansion and logistics of the proposal but the league is going backwards at this stage which few would have thought possible after last season's procession.

Most impressive are Treviso, "hard-done-by" loosers in their 3 games

Connacht has to be careful this week vs them

I tend to agree but could you explain your last couple of lines for as I read them they don't make logical sense. Surely after last season's procession this season's results are simply a continuation of that?

I tend to agree but could you explain your last couple of lines for as I read them they don't make logical sense. Surely after last season's procession this season's results are simply a continuation of that?

I meant that it's going backwards even more rapidly than it was. At least last year Edinburgh and the Scarlets were competitive winning 11 and 10 of their 15 games respectively. This season, they've won a single game between them and that was this weekend when the Scarlets scraped a win over Treviso.

Right now, I'd back Ulster, Leinster and Munster to get a win away to any Scottish or Welsh team which is not a good situation. I couldn’t have said the same a year ago and it's not due to the provinces improving hugely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I meant that it's going backwards even more rapidly than it was. At least last year Edinburgh and the Scarlets were competitive winning 11 and 10 of their 15 games respectively. This season, they've won a single game between them and that was this weekend when the Scarlets scraped a win over Treviso.

Right now, I'd back Ulster, Leinster and Munster to get a win away to any Scottish or Welsh team which is not a good situation. I couldn’t have said the same a year ago and it's not due to the provinces improving hugely.

Munster only won their first two games by a last second score to snatch victory from defeat

I don't know, Benneton are much better than they have ever been, Cardiff are much better than they have been in ages. The Ospreys and Glasgow are in a 'rebuilding' phase (they're ****e now) and Edinburgh are playing ok when they have their full squad available.

Leinster are outclassing the rest of the league by some distance, but they're also outclassing practically every other team in Europe apart from a financially doped Saracens team, so the strength of Leinster cannot be used to beat the rest of the league with
    (and even Leinster, as strong as they are, still had to work hard to beat Benetton a few weeks ago with the game still in the balance until James Ryan scored a try with a couple of minutes left to play)

I'd argue that Edinburgh have been muck full stop regardless of who they've had. They've lost 6 in a row including 4 at home. They've had their first choice players available for some of those too. Cardiff look great in space but they're utterly brainless. They beat Connacht at home and Zebre before Munster's second/third string dominated them. A full strength Munster would strangle them. They don't have the smarts or power.

Treviso were a better side 2 years ago. They were a really tough team to beat. They've regressed since then. Leinster beat them by 12 points but we're never going to cut lose. They were in 2nd gear for the full game and were a couple of scores clear entering the final 15 minutes.

The biggest issue is that there were two teams who were able to give the provinces difficulties and they're no longer able to do that. Edinburgh and the Scarlets were teams that were playoff contenders throughout the season but they look miles off that now and no other side looks close to filling that role.

• Advertisement

In general I have to agree about Irish sides compared to the rest although Scarlets should have beaten Munster and had a man sent off at Glasgow which was crucial to final outcome. I think they will improve. Ospreys are better than last year (although that's not saying much as they were woeful then) and Cardiff were a bit unfortunate not to get 2 bonus points last night. In my naivety, I thought Dragons (with all the pre-season hype and signings) would be better than they have shown. Irish sides undoubtedly look to have greater strength in depth.

It would take a brave man to bet against Leinster retaining the title even at this early stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I'd argue that Edinburgh have been muck full stop regardless of who they've had. They've lost 6 in a row including 4 at home. They've had their first choice players available for some of those too. Cardiff look great in space but they're utterly brainless. They beat Connacht at home and Zebre before Munster's second/third string dominated them. A full strength Munster would strangle them. They don't have the smarts or power.

Treviso were a better side 2 years ago. They were a really tough team to beat. They've regressed since then. Leinster beat them by 12 points but we're never going to cut lose. They were in 2nd gear for the full game and were a couple of scores clear entering the final 15 minutes.

The biggest issue is that there were two teams who were able to give the provinces difficulties and they're no longer able to do that. Edinburgh and the Scarlets were teams that were playoff contenders throughout the season but they look miles off that now and no other side looks close to filling that role.

I'd say Edinburgh's morale was badly dented by the manner of the semi-final loss to Ulster. It'll take them a while to get their confidence back.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Scarlets embra played out a rollicking 3 - 6 game tonight, with Edinburgh taking the away win

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Scarlets embra played out a rollicking 3 - 6 game tonight, with Edinburgh taking the away win

Welsh must be spitting in their soup as this game was a bit like the international on the same pitch a day earlier coupled with Dragons being well beaten at home to Munster. Can Ospreys and Cardiff restore some pride tonight I wonder?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It was also the third match in a row that Scarlets had a player sent off. You're not going to get very far when you can't keep 15 on the field.

• Advertisement

Zebre beat the Ospreys. 23-17

Thank you Zebre and Ulster from Connacht
    Thanks a lot !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Get the Saffers in asap. The league looks pretty awful as it stands. The provinces could well take the top two in each conference. Selfishly and short-term, that's great. Long term, that is grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

We are just gargantuan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Get the Saffers in asap. The league looks pretty awful as it stands. The provinces could well take the top two in each conference. Selfishly and short-term, that's great. Long term, that is grim.

Forget about the fact that the Pro 12/14 is split between 4 countries at the moment, the fact that one region is playing well while another region is underperforming doesn't mean that the league itself is terrible

In the Pro 14 at the moment, we have 4 irish teams in top level European rugby this year, one Scottish, and one Welsh team.

We'll see in a few months how our league compares with the rest of Europe. If we only have 1 or two teams in the knockouts, then that will be an indication that the league is in a crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

It would be good to see a new team win the Pro12/14. We've had the Ospreys, Leinster, Glasgow, Connacht and the Scarlets as Champions. Might be good for the league if an Edinburgh or a Treviso or a Munster could break their duck.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Forget about the fact that the Pro 12/14 is split between 4 countries at the moment, the fact that one region is playing well while another region is underperforming doesn't mean that the league itself is terrible

In the Pro 14 at the moment, we have 4 irish teams in top level European rugby this year, one Scottish, and one Welsh team.

We'll see in a few months how our league compares with the rest of Europe. If we only have 1 or two teams in the knockouts, then that will be an indication that the league is in a crisis

I'm not really talking about European participation, more the competitiveness of the league. Had Connacht's game against Benetton gone ahead, you would have likely seen the provinces top in both conferences after four weeks.

I'm not really talking about European participation, more the competitiveness of the league. Had Connacht's game against Benetton gone ahead, you would have likely seen the provinces top in both conferences after four weeks.

Because they are the best teams. At least would be good enough to at least make the KO phase in Europe and 2 make the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Because they are the best teams. At least would be good enough to at least make the KO phase in Europe and 2 make the semi final.

I wouldn't be using this seasons European competition to judge anything tbh. Its such a bastardised version of itself.

Its early days in the season, but the league does look to be in bother this season. Cardiff are keeping pace with Connacht, but otherwise the Irish provinces are already pulling away from everyone else. Munster are 7 points clear of Cardiff in Conference B while Ulster are 9 points clear of Ospreys with Leinster 2 points clear of them. They are big margins after only 4 games.

They can be reeled in, but that will need a big change in performance levels. But we've 4 games before the internationals return so its hard to see that happening in that time. And if the provinces extend that lead over the next 4 games its going to be very hard to catch them.

What has that got to do with the competitiveness of the league? If you look at the regular season as a competition and not a development competition / training run for Europe then there's definitely an issue.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    I wouldn't be using this seasons European competition to judge anything tbh. Its such a bastardised version of itself.

Its early days in the season, but the league does look to be in bother this season. Cardiff are keeping pace with Connacht, but otherwise the Irish provinces are already pulling away from everyone else. Munster are 7 points clear of Cardiff in Conference B while Ulster are 9 points clear of Ospreys with Leinster 2 points clear of them. They are big margins after only 4 games.

They can be reeled in, but that will need a big change in performance levels. But we've 4 games before the internationals return so its hard to see that happening in that time. And if the provinces extend that lead over the next 4 games its going to be very hard to catch them.

Yeah this seasons European Cup is a mess.

Yeah I’m not sure what’s happening this season, is it the Irish provinces being really or the rest being terrible, usually Europe would give us the indication but sadly we are going to have to wait for those answers.

On the other teams until tonight I thought the Ospreys looked quite good and was quite concerned for Leinster next week but now I’m not sure and even more so now as I’d imagine Leinster will get some players back from Ireland.

I think Edinburgh will get back into it when they get their internationals back. Scarlets I’m not sure, they have looked quite meh this season even with their best players available. Cardiff I hate with a passion as they are such an annoying team to play against because they are just good at the basics of the game, I would never count them out with the other flattering to deceive. Glasgow I really don’t know what to make of, have a good squad but definitely think losing Hogg and Russell is hurting them badly.

At his point you would have to say the Irish teams have justifiably been the best 4 teams in the league, just not sure if they have been excellent or the opposition have been poor.

Why on earth playing the same clubs with the same players would be a "mess"
    Europe will be the exact same indicator as it was. Big games

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

connachta wrote: »
    Because the format is an absolute sh!tshow. It will be possible for a team to win its 4 games and still end up dropping into the Challenge Cup. 12 teams (tier 1 & 2) could win all their matches, but there are only 8 qualifying spots. It absolutely will not be the same indicator it was.

Akrasia wrote: »

welsh teams have done nothing in the european cup since blues got to the final in its inception in 1996.... they have been abysmal since they are not suddenly going to change now. 2 challenge cup victories is all they have to show for european rugby.

and scottish teams performances have been worse.
    one challenge cup appearance 5 years ago by edinburgh is all they have ever had to show for european rugby

at least there's no expectation with the italian teams.

it has only even been the irish teams that raise their game for europe.

so if you have irish provinces dominating the pro 14 AND being the only celtic league clubs that perform in europe, it certainly does put question marks over the meritocracy and quality of the league.

bring on the saffers I say.... the rising tide will raise all ships.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It's a smaller sample size, with an altered (and weird) format. Certainly not the exact same, imo.

With regards same players, I think it's possible (probably likely) that Covid will mean some players missing out on games, so I don't think that's accurate either.

The final day could be fun tho; potential for lots of clubs to still be in contention.

becuase you are competing against teams you dont actually play.

there will certainly be at least one if not more cases of teams knocked out on points / try difference, which their competitors racked up against teams they didnt play.

clusterfcuk comes to mind.

Because the format is an absolute sh!tshow. It will be possible for a team to win its 4 games and still end up dropping into the Challenge Cup. 12 teams (tier 1 & 2) could win all their matches, but there are only 8 qualifying spots. It absolutely will not be the same indicator it was.

1) those scenarii are highly unlikely, and the draw is kinda fair with 4 Pot

2) qualication for QF doesn't change anything to the quality of the opposition in pool games. Meeting Racing, Bath, and so on, that's the international best as ever

You're replying to someone who couldn't care less about the quality of the competition as long as Connacht are involved. Before the enlargement of the tournament the same poster suggested there was a grand conspiracy from the French and English to prevent Connacht's participation.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yeah this seasons European Cup is a mess.

Yeah I’m not sure what’s happening this season, is it the Irish provinces being really or the rest being terrible, usually Europe would give us the indication but sadly we are going to have to wait for those answers.

On the other teams until tonight I thought the Ospreys looked quite good and was quite concerned for Leinster next week but now I’m not sure and even more so now as I’d imagine Leinster will get some players back from Ireland.

I think Edinburgh will get back into it when they get their internationals back. Scarlets I’m not sure, they have looked quite meh this season even with their best players available. Cardiff I hate with a passion as they are such an annoying team to play against because they are just good at the basics of the game, I would never count them out with the other flattering to deceive. Glasgow I really don’t know what to make of, have a good squad but definitely think losing Hogg and Russell is hurting them badly.

At his point you would have to say the Irish teams have justifiably been the best 4 teams in the league, just not sure if they have been excellent or the opposition have been poor.

The opposition are crap.

Like the Dragons for example, a big deal made out of their signings etc. They're still absolute dross. And nobody really cares.

Leinster will win it again this year, no question about it. And I reckon they won't lose a single game outside of Ireland, and may even go unbeaten again if they're arsed enough about it.

• Advertisement

You're replying to someone who couldn't care less about the quality of the competition as long as Connacht are involved. Before the enlargement of the tournament the same poster suggested there was a grand conspiracy from the French and English to prevent Connacht's participation.

You know very well that, if Toulouse and Montpellier weren't 7th and 8th (if Castres and Pau were on this position for example) when covid outbreaks, they would never ever have had an enlargement.

French even threat of boycott. Connacht are just unwanted beneficiaries.
    And YES English tried to oppose this and Pro14 was rather in favor of 18-club malthusianism.
    That's not conspiracy, that's facts.
    Nobody wanted Connacht in it.

Whereas, I remind you they would have qualified at 90% under regular rule (home play-off vs Dragons on sight)
    And I remind also except 1 away game in Sarries, Connacht was never ever ridiculous in Champions Cup

awec wrote: »
    The opposition are crap.

Like the Dragons for example, a big deal made out of their signings etc. They're still absolute dross. And nobody really cares.

Leinster will win it again this year, no question about it. And I reckon they won't lose a single game outside of Ireland, and may even go unbeaten again if they're arsed enough about it.

There's nothing I enjoy more than disagreeing with awec but I struggle to do so on this topic. I've defended the league repeatedly in the past but this season, the drop off is siginificant. The provinces have lost one game all season and that was Connact away to Cardiff (who many would cite as being one of the impressive teams so far).

That's 14/15 wins for the provinces so far with the rest of the league combining for 9 wins in total. Leinster are not a notably better side than they were last season. The team that went to Glasgow last night was certainly weaker than the one that won there last season in a proper battle (as was the Glasgow selection admittedly). But the team last night won with relative ease and a TBP well before the end.

The teams that were in contention in the last 2-3 years and made the league somehwat competitive have fallen off a cliff in terms of performance. Scarlets, Edinburgh and Glasgow hold no fear for any province now. The Ospreys showed some signs of life this season but last night was disappointing; 17-0 down to Zebre before coming to life.

My concern is that the league really plummets this season due to the standard as well as the lack of attendance and financial issues. It's going to be very hard for them to attract any new talent into the league. If that all comes to pass, will the league struggle to rebound even when crowds are back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

As much as I am a like-for-like with Awec (middle-aged, cantankerous, contrarian Ulsterman), and therefore morally obligated to disagree vociferously, this is the worst season ever for being lopsided. Things might change when the internationals are back for the Scottish teams and Treviso, but the Welsh sides shouldn't be suffering the way they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

If and when live sport with spectators returns I would imagine attendances will be large.
    As for the future of the pro12/14/16 im not sure but the bigger question is the future of professional Rugby.
    Too many teams in too many competitions chasing a dwindling pot of gold.

Reduce in the number of professional clubs. An European/RSA league. Conference based.

Perhaps a secondary league with promotion and relegation to primary league.
    I realise the negatives with RFU, French etc but things cannot continue.

OldRio wrote: »
    If and when live sport with spectators returns I would imagine attendances will be large.
    As for the future of the pro12/14/16 im not sure but the bigger question is the future of professional Rugby.

Reduce in the number of professional clubs. An European/RSA league. Conference based.

The French have two fully professional leagues and are never going to give them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

OldRio wrote: »

Reducing the number of pro clubs isnt really a good idea. While a European/South Africa league would be fantastic especially as it could open up a way to get Georgia/Spains etc into pro rugby with their own teams but it just isnt going to happen.
    The french will never give up on the top14/prod2 same with english and their leagues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

I agree about the French never wanting to give up their leagues.
    The cash strapped owners in the EPL might be tempted to do an English Soccer type of change.

The status quo is not an option IMHO. I can imagine Big changes in Professional Rugby. Money is the main factor that will drive this.
    We'll see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Nobody wanted Connacht in it.

No. Nobody really cared one way or the other.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    No. Nobody really cared one way or the other.

Yeah fairness and beautiful rugby without heavy money are 2 concepts not reachable by most

The qualification system handed Connacht multiple spots in the old Heineken Cup, based on Leinster's performance.

The last 3 are on pure merit. This one too, as I said

• Advertisement
Advertisement