Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a nice cool and crisp evening here in Meath and skies are clearing. We appear to be heading towards a very interesting weather pattern with possibly an extremely blocked pattern with high pressure possibly moving from Scandinavia over to Greenland over the next two weeks. Certainly something to watch. Something we rarely ever see in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gonzo wrote: »
    a nice cool and crisp evening here in Meath and skies are clearing. We appear to be heading towards a very interesting weather pattern with possibly an extremely blocked pattern with high pressure possibly moving from Scandinavia over to Greenland over the next two weeks. Certainly something to watch. Something we rarely ever see in October.

Which, for the less technical ( !) means what in terms of weather, please? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Graces7 wrote: »
    Which, for the less technical ( !) means what in terms of weather, please? Thank you

looking at the GFS, i see plenty of northeasterly winds, which would mean chilly weather. there is plenty of rainfall, more so for the east with low pressure being stuck just to the south of Ireland. drier further west but they don't escape the rain completely either. if only it was late November!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Graces7 wrote: »

a chilly second half of October with more potential for frosty nights but a rash of cold rain showers particularly for eastern areas. If this was to persist into the second half of November and December we would be looking at rather snowy landscapes, unfortunately this is happening far too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Any storms on the horizon? I think we need an epic storm to lift the covid gloom.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Any storms on the horizon? I think we need an epic storm to lift the covid gloom.

Yes I’m sure that’s exactly what people are hoping for on top of the Covid gloom

For kind elucidation thank you.

And it sounds rather lovely! Loving this quicksilver time. So much restless energy and the swift changes.

It really is the loveliest day, and so unexpected.

Sunny, and blue skies. Tiny puffball clouds swarming up the mountains. Totally adorable.

Mild enough to have the door open, yet there is grass frost in the deeply shaded places.

We needed a day like this! We really did!

Happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Beautiful unbroken sunshine here in South Wicklow. Really great for the head to see it. Warm in the sun and not a breeze. Hopefully if we are to see another lockdown the late Autumn will be as kind to us weather-wise as early Spring was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭appledrop

An unbelievable weekend for October in Dublin.

So much sun yesterday + today it was just glorious to be out and about.

I'm now 100% decided that autumn is actually my favourite season.

I used to always say summer but after this summer I realised that summer in Ireland is akways a let down apart from 2018.

Autumn on other hand still brings lovely sunny days + while you might need to wrap up still lot milder than Dec or Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Anybody see the rainbow cloud over dungarvan this evening around 17:30? Cool phenomenon I've never seen before.

The wind is buffeting; but we can rest and stay content in the memory of yesterday. Chilly, but yesterday needed no fire.

All is well

West mayo offshore.

appledrop wrote: »
    An unbelievable weekend for October in Dublin.

So much sun yesterday + today it was just glorious to be out and about.

I'm now 100% decided that autumn is actually my favourite season.

I used to always say summer but after this summer I realised that summer in Ireland is akways a let down apart from 2018.

Autumn on other hand still brings lovely sunny days + while you might need to wrap up still lot milder than Dec or Jan.

I'm the exact opposite of that. i used to prefer winter but since it's nearly always disappointing, i prefer spring now because spring seems to be more capable of delivering wintry weather than winter itself and we also get beautiful weather on many springs.

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Anybody see the rainbow cloud over dungarvan this evening around 17:30? Cool phenomenon I've never seen before.

i saw something like that on Saturday here in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

More than likely a sundog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Have enjoyed this October so far and this autumn in general, many days have had good sunny spells in Dublin. Dublin Apt and Cork Apt are among the sunniest places this October up to now in the UK/Ireland with 51.8 and 53.8 hrs (to 11th) respectively, slightly above for where they should be at this point in October.

Oh it's nice to get consistent days with sunny spells again.

Sheeting dark rain and no more world out there! "yesterday...."

Ah well!

west mayo offshore

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Have enjoyed this October so far and this autumn in general, many days have had good sunny spells in Dublin. Dublin Apt and Cork Apt are among the sunniest places this October up to now in the UK/Ireland with 51.8 and 53.8 hrs (to 11th) respectively, slightly above for where they should be at this point in October.

Oh it's nice to get consistent days with sunny spells again.

This October is nowhere nearly as bad as what I was expecting, while it has been wet at times, it's nowhere nearly as wet as what the models were showing leading into October. I think the UK definitely bore the brunt of the rainfall and we managed to escape lightly. Plenty of sun too and given the time of year puts this summer to shame.

We have had very cool days which have been pleasant in their own way but I am a bit surprised that night time frosts haven't really got going yet considering the cooler than average month we are having so far.

Bright, windswept sun again... Sheer energy and exuberance... just met the wind face going round the back here and almost knocked me down. Ocean fretted and rumpled.

West mayo offshore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A nice evening here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »

We have had very cool days which have been pleasant in their own way but I am a bit surprised that night time frosts haven't really got going yet considering the cooler than average month we are having so far.

The way things are going, I doubt the majority of us will see a frost this October, even though we had two back to back in September. This 'cooler' air mass is quite dirty (high humidity, showers, clouds etc) and will continue to be so. resulting in both night time and daytime temps just barely, if at all, running below average as far as I can see in the charts.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭esposito

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The way things are going, I doubt the majority of us will see a frost this October, even though we had two back to back in September. This 'cooler' air mass is quite dirty (high humidity, showers, clouds etc) and will continue to be so. resulting in both night time and daytime temps just barely, if at all, running below average as far as I can see in the charts.

I’d rather keep the frosts till December and January anyway

A wild and wuthering wakening, gusty and rain lashing the windows.

Autumn, with its unpredictability and moodiness! A living force. Coastal wind warnings are almost a constant now.

Chilly but not cold . Lovely!

West Mayo offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭4Ad

A calm 8.8 degrees in East Clare...

4Ad wrote: »
    A calm 8.8 degrees in East Clare...

It has calmed again now. Quicksilver weather. Sunny

And bitterly cold in that stiff breeze . North easterly always feels colder..

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Brightening up nicely now from the North. For those with clear skies ,have a look up at Mars tonight. Brightest in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A sunny, cool day in wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

A lovely Autumnal day in Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Looks to be a cold night ahead; met ie says 6. Posted mid pm

And it was. And a still, chill silent morning. A corner is being turned as we approach winter. Giving us time to acclimatise.

west mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well the forecast said dry. Its raining. And cool enough.

Advertisement