Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister of State for Science to launch anti-science book!

Options
  • 13-09-2010 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Just when you think that Fianna Fail can't surprise you any more, this happens:

Darwinism?The Origin of Specious Nonsense Book|EVOLUTION IS A HOAX|Irish Author John J May

Someone from Atheism Ireland rang the author and, yes, Conor Lenihan, Minister of State for Science, Technology and Kebabs, is launching a book that claims that evolution is a hoax.

I just rang Lenihan's constituency office and yes, it was confirmed that this is absolutely true. The person who answered claimed that merely because a Minister for Science is launching - and therefore giving credence to - a book that attacks science, it shouldn't be taken that Lenihan agrees with the book!

Some quotes from the book:
    "Believing we are a higher form of animal condemns us to a lower form of life."
    7 Reasons Why I Detect and Reject Evolution

1: It teaches us to be satisfied with - not understanding origins.

2: It promotes the dangerous nonsense of no first cause - no supreme scientist and suggests order came from disorder.

3: It is a mataphysical speculation, a doctrine dressed up in scientific garb.

4: Anyone who teaches evolution is either ignorant or deliberately suppressing the known scientific facts.

5: It is a toxic poisonous mind virus which destroys the hearts immune system against hope and common sense.

6: It is an anaesthetic against reason.

7: It cripples sanity, promotes myths, obscures reality and elevates matter above a maker.

My flabber is well and truly ghasted. My outrage fatigue has finally hit rock bottom. Honestly, nothing this government does surprises me anymore.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Is this a joke...?

Really?

It reads like a satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Is this a joke...?

Really?

It reads like a satire.

I really honestly thought it was a joke too when Atheism Ireland put it up on Facebook. So I rang Lenihan's office myself to confirm. Yes, it's true; Ireland's Minister of State for Science is launching a anti-evolution book by someone who doesnt' appear to be able to write; I mean, read this:
    It is a non academic attempt which is currently very popular worldwide due to the brilliant observationalist naturalist Charles Darwin's 200 year birth anniversary and 150 years celebration of his monumental laughable fantasy, "The Origin of Species" which I have read forensically and counted 1550 suppositions.

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If this is for real, its unbelievable.
    Talk about stepping back into the dark ages of thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

speaking of which id ****in love a kebab now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Can't believe people are still bringing up the kebab incident five years later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

The author is "self educated" and a "christian leader". That says it all really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

will have to make a note somewhere to remember this the next time I see 'dumb ignorant rednecks' mentioned on the US politics forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

must be taking after his brother. Isn't he supposed to look after the financial interests of this country?

This is twilight zone stuff, planet Bertie.

If this is the level of thinking we can expect from the top, bring it on...
    They bring about their own self-destruction even quicker from within!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Was watching some of the videos on the website...

Apparently evolution can be disproved by throwing 15 tennis balls around...

Anyway, I seriously thought this was a hoax. If Conor Lenihan really has nothing better to be doing than attending the launch of this book...

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    ...Anyway, I seriously thought this was a hoax. If Conor Lenihan really has nothing better to be doing than attending the launch of this book...
    Well the country is all sorted so he must have time to turn up for this crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

hahaha Bullsh1t

I might pay a vist to this "book" launch to have laugh at this loon

Is the "loon" then, deliberately trying to sudden end his own career?

Biggins wrote: »
    Is the "loon" then, deliberately trying to sudden end his own career?

sorry Biggins dont quite get you :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When is this lunch er launch?

Auvers wrote: »
    sorry Biggins dont quite get you :confused:
    I'm saying that if this is the type of thinking he's allowing himself to be associated with (as a state minister) - then he's fast-tracking his political life over a cliff.

(And yes, I'd consider him to have a screw lose too for doing this crap - even as a state rep and as such our minister)

I'm sure his people that elected him will no doubt be questioning their previous vote when they hear about this mad decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sweet suffering zombie jesus.
    Is this on his official calendar? (ie. Are we paying the Junior Minister to do this?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

emailed to ask why he is attending. shocking. although a FFer is probably just delighted to be invited to anything these days.

Biggins wrote: »
    I'm saying that if this is the type of thinking he's allowing himself to be associated with (as a state minister) - then he's fast-tracking his political life over a cliff.)

oh right but I was talking about the loon being the Author John J. May

I agree with you fully about Lenihan, maybe someone should mail him a few links of the author on you-tube and he might revaulate his attendence

the launch is on 7-9 September 15 at Buswells Hotel, Molesworth Street

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I've had to read this 4 or 5 times to make sure it's actually real!

We are already the laughing stock of Europe! But this........... i'm........... i honestly can't explain how this makes me feel!

Today, i'm honestly ashamed to be Irish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Does anyone else plan to go along? I would love to win this €10,000 and donate it to one of Richard Dawkin's funds...

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

This has got to be a joke, right? I mean, Lenihan couldn't possibly be that dumb

Auvers wrote: »
    oh right but I was talking about the loon being the Author John J. May

I agree with you fully about Lenihan, maybe someone should mail him a few links of the author on you-tube and he might re-evaluate his attendance

Well, I respect a writers right to say what they want as long as its peaceful and does not incite hatred and/or violence, etc. So John J. May can say/write what he wishes.
    (How or what I might think of his "thoughts" are another thing - in this case I disagree with him)

My surprise/shock is, as an elected state minister launching and been see to launch something that flying the face of a supposed state stance to keep church and state separate - Lenihan (by his very presence alone) is jumping in at the deep end and giving a proverbial two fingered salute to that idea.

Also lending his weight behind the book as a state rep' (even if he does disagree with it - I suspect he might agree with the writer - he instead for his action just offers convenient but contradictory words to excuse his attendance) it follows that as a state representative and as such representing the Irish people, he's allowing the image of the Irish outside Ireland as we being possibly stepping back into the Dark Ages of thinking and reason.

If - IF - this turns out to be true and he's attending this to add weight to the launch of the book, I'm deeply shocked and disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

This has got to be a joke, right? I mean, Lenihan couldn't possibly be that dumb
    again that same line has been used about his brother

It seems to run in the family, if you believe in all that genetics hocus pocus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Conor Linehan is on twitter

http://twitter.com/ConorLenihanTD

Give him a tweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

[-0-] wrote: »

Yeah, I emailed him earlier.

/me awaits reply with baited breath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The book is a troll non? Though there seems to be too many misspellings in it for it to be a pisstake.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

[-0-] wrote: »

Since when is "Turning The Corner" the new Fianna Fail official slogan? Holy God.

And of course, this is ridiculous. He's certainly innovating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Is this **** for real :eek:

First the Blasphemy Bill and now this?

My list of why not to vote FF grows, hey maybe I should publish it as a book :P

Advertisement